Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

8 minutes ago, zskins said:

I have rotator cuff surgery on Monday. Been living with the slight pain for 2 years. It was time to get it fixed. I have some questions: 

1. Is it a straight forward surgery, never had any surgeries in my last 49 years on earth.

2. What is recovery like, will I be able to move my arm or have to keep it in a sling for 4-6 weeks. I am right handed so this might be really tough adjustment for me. 

3 Most importantly will I be able to lift weights after 6 weeks or so?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks,

Z

Lifting weights after 6 weeks? Have you not had a conversation with a doctor about this?

No lifting anything heavy for 3 months at least. Stick exactly to the rehab schedule or you’ll tear it again. I know from having a torn labrum and partially torn rotator cuff. I’m gonna need a second surgery someday.

You'll manage the issue being right handed but it will be a struggle at first.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hersh said:

Lifting weights after 6 weeks? Have you not had a conversation with a doctor about this?

No lifting anything heavy for 3 months at least. Stick exactly to the rehab schedule or you’ll tear it again. I know from having a torn labrum and partially torn rotator cuff. I’m gonna need a second surgery someday.

You'll manage the issue being right handed but it will be a struggle at first.

Didn't even think about weights until today. I will ask the doc when I see him on surgery day. My tear is about 1.37 cm and I am hoping it is one and done. I hate hospitals...lol

Youll likely just be starting rehab after 6 weeks. So then you’ve got your period there before easing back into the gym. Depends on your type of surgery etc. after my wrist surgery I think it was 2-3 months before back in the gym after rehab started. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Ultimately it’s going to be up to your doctor to clear you back to lifting weights. 

Follow this ^^^ with everything.

the moment you think you can lift something cause it’s not that heavy, don’t. Get cleared on everything 

• Like 1

There are not many studies on people having surgery and going back to lifting weights. The only comprehensive one I saw was on women who had their breasts removed and them going back to lifting weights. 

Im sure you could find studies for athletes but not sure about rotator cuff. Maybe. 

Anyways. Get cleared by your doctor. 

23 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Anyways. Get cleared by your doctor. 

Wait...you're not a doctor?  

I found a brutal push-up regimen on the Tube.  Been doing this every 3 days for about 6 weeks now, nowhere near the reps he does, though.  The gains I'm already getting are legit.  

Before I was just doing 100 push ups and some dumbbell work on chest days, but with this routine below I'm pretty much at muscle failure every time when he gets to the brutality @ 9:20.  

• Like 1

I’d say listen to your PT. At least with my surgeries the doctor is done after the surgery checked out and routine checkups. Your physical therapist will see you several times a week. They will take measurements. Track progress and move you through your rehab. They have a much better indicator of where you are and send reports to your doctor that get signed off. Be open and honest with your Pt. 

Edited by hockeysc23
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

That’s a great exercise that I’d never really thought about.

Lately I’ve been working on spinal mobility.  Stretching and working core muscles in addition to my regular routine.

I have a protruding disc in my C5-6 space that I’ve been dealing with since May.  It’s been a real boon on my workout regimen, limiting everything from running to lifting.  It was quite a long recovery by I’m now starting to get back into the swing of things, but while also focusing on core and spinal mobility.

On 4/28/2019 at 8:19 AM, Springfield said:

So, this Friday morning I hit my goal weight.

Starting the year at 187.5 lbs, I've worked myself down to 169.9 lbs on April 26.  My goal weight is 170 lbs.

This morning, I was at 170.5 so this week will be about maintaining a weight at or below 170 lbs.  Now that I've gotten this far, I think I'm going to try and push for 165 lbs.  I'd like to have some abs, or better yet, a six pack for the beach in late June.

Ive gained about 5 lbs since April.  Need to work on my diet a little more.  Focus on keeping up with my IF and working my cardio.  The aforementioned disc issue didn’t help.

18 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

While they might not give you totally chiseled abs, abdominal-tightening exercises are a great way to improve your muscle tone when you're otherwise sedentary.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/479681-does-tightening-your-stomach-make-you-get-abs/

The only way to improve your muscle tone is to lose fat.  You could do 10,000 crunches a day and have a 10 pack, but if you have a layer of fat covering it, you won't see ****.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, purbeast said:

The only way to improve your muscle tone is to lose fat.  You could do 10,000 crunches a day and have a 10 pack, but if you have a layer of fat covering it, you won't see ****.

That was a given, but this thread is called the Workout Thread III and not the lose weight thread. Not sure of your point.

• 8 months later...

Been doing a kettlebell swing challenge.  500 a day, 10,000 is the end goal.  Sets of 10, 15, 25, 50 x 5.  Been doing it each weekday and I'm at 7,500 so 5 more days to go.

Using a 35 pound kettlebell, the first time I did it, it took 24 minutes.  Now I've got it down to about 13:30.   

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Since we have been self isolating, I drastically reduced my soda intake.  After a few weeks, I realized I was dropping weight fast, and I have a legit shot at my goal 456...I want to have a six pack by the time I turn 45 in October.

Since then my wife and I did the 28 day routine by Chloe TIng.  After that, we have started working our way through 28 day fit live.  We are on day 12.

http://thelifewelllived.net/2020/07/31/the-456-challenge/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So admittedly I'm a slug these days...diet sucks, don't exercise, blah blah blah.

If I were to start,  any tips on a starter (and I mean beginner) core program? I never did core work and I know that its the foundation for everything. I'm 45 going on 46 and really have no interest in getting ripped...I really just need to lose the spare tires and find a program that keeps my interests engaged. 

17 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

So admittedly I'm a slug these days...diet sucks, don't exercise, blah blah blah.

If I were to start,  any tips on a starter (and I mean beginner) core program? I never did core work and I know that its the foundation for everything. I'm 45 going on 46 and really have no interest in getting ripped...I really just need to lose the spare tires and find a program that keeps my interests engaged. 

What do you enjoy doing that would constitute a cardio workout?

• Thanks 1