Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III


Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I powerlift. What's this volume thing you guys are talking about?

 

Kidding.

 

Well, half way kidding.

 

Sort of kidding.

 

But really, I'm kidding.

Lifting. It's what I do at the gym in between sets of Netflix. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

 

Yeah. I read all of Greg's site's stuff. And Dr. Mike's stuff.

 

The key to volume, though, based on what I've experienced and read, is that constant volume isn't helpful either. At some point you push yourself to the point where adaptation is only happening with extremely long sessions and ridiculous sets. Your fitness increases, but so does your fatigue. So you'll see diminishing returns.

 

Deloads, weeks off, etc. help reduce fatigue and also a touch of fitness. But that slight reduction allows you to kick back the volume back for more manageable sessions.

 

If you can't take days or weeks off, that's a great way to burn out.

 

Even auto-regulated problems will eventually hit a wall if you push at them for too long. But they are much easier to maintain for a longer timeframe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree.

 

The longer you work out, the more diminishing returns you are going to have regardless of what you are doing. Which is why linear progression doesn’t work for more than a couple of weeks. I get what your saying but that’s going to happen regardless, if it didn’t people would be routinely benching 700 lbs raw. 

 

Auto regulation shouldn’t ever hit a wall or else it isn’t auto regulation. An rpe 8 should always feel rpe 8 or else it isn’t rpe 8.

 

Fatigue is managed by load management. Which is why purely doing sets of 80% of a 1 rep max of 5 reps of 5 sets will make you hit a wall. If you lower the weight using some kind of variation then your fatigue will be less although your volume will be the same.  There are ways to keep your volume the same but lower fatigue. I for example do sets of 10 reps on the bench with a 3 second pause at rpe 7,8, and 9 which is significantly less intense than my competition style bench sessions. The volume stays around the same. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Elessar78 said:

you guys should settle this in hand to hand combat. Winner is clearly the one with the correct training philosophy. 

 

:ols:

 

its obviously not that serious. People have different mottos. Even the science guys have some differing points of view. I do agree that volume matters. Just not as hardcore as he seems to think it does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah. You and I won’t ever see this the same way. I’d just caution you that everyone is different. 

 

I think people are more alike than different. It’s a spectrum but I believe women and men should train the same. Old and young. The only special populations are people who have actual medical conditions or physical restrictions such as amputes or etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

 

I think people are more alike than different. It’s a spectrum but I believe women and men should train the same. Old and young. The only special populations are people who have actual medical conditions or physical restrictions such as amputes or etc. 

 

I don’t totally disagree with this. But people are different. Powerlifters don’t train the same as bodybuilders who don’t train the same as CrossFitters who don’t train the same as runners. 

 

Ive been lifting for a long time. I’ve seen many people do it. I’ve trained many people. I’ve been coached by people. 

 

There are definitely folks who train “wrong” for their goals out there. But yes, I’m a general sense people within the same spectrum should train similarly. That much we are in agreement on :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

So, this Friday morning I hit my goal weight.

 

Starting the year at 187.5 lbs, I've worked myself down to 169.9 lbs on April 26.  My goal weight is 170 lbs.

 

This morning, I was at 170.5 so this week will be about maintaining a weight at or below 170 lbs.  Now that I've gotten this far, I think I'm going to try and push for 165 lbs.  I'd like to have some abs, or better yet, a six pack for the beach in late June.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So, this Friday morning I hit my goal weight.

 

Starting the year at 187.5 lbs, I've worked myself down to 169.9 lbs on April 26.  My goal weight is 170 lbs.

 

This morning, I was at 170.5 so this week will be about maintaining a weight at or below 170 lbs.  Now that I've gotten this far, I think I'm going to try and push for 165 lbs.  I'd like to have some abs, or better yet, a six pack for the beach in late June.

 

Congrats man, it's a good feeling for sure.  I was at 269 in January, got down to 220 in early March.  Cheers to working hard and keeping it off!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone done a Spartan sprint or obstacle race? I'm thinking about doing one in OC this fall and wanted to get any feedback on it. 

 

Currently I run 3-4 times a week about 10-15 miles total. From what I've read I need to start thinking about including strength training, any input is appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoSkinsGo said:

Has anyone done a Spartan sprint or obstacle race? I'm thinking about doing one in OC this fall and wanted to get any feedback on it. 

 

Currently I run 3-4 times a week about 10-15 miles total. From what I've read I need to start thinking about including strength training, any input is appreciated. 

 

I do races every year but not spartan. Best one my group has done is rugged maniac. As far as weight training goes, you could certainly do some work around pull-ups and grip strength but unless you are competing to win, you could easily do well without actually lifting. 

I would definitely recommend doing one to get a sense of what they are like and I’d be in an earlier heat rather than wait toward the end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hersh said:

 

I do races every year but not spartan. Best one my group has done is rugged maniac. As far as weight training goes, you could certainly do some work around pull-ups and grip strength but unless you are competing to win, you could easily do well without actually lifting. 

I would definitely recommend doing one to get a sense of what they are like and I’d be in an earlier heat rather than wait toward the end. 

 

Awesome, I appreciate that. I watched some videos and nothing looked over the top hard. It just looks like fun, we signed our daughter up to do a Spartan kids race in June. She's excited for that. 

 

I'll look into the rugged maniac also. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to drop all the weight I gained during the wife's pregnancy.  Wake up at 4 AM and do 60 minutes on the treadmill 5 days a week, 4 MPH and a 4% incline.  Burns right under 1,000 calories.  Friggin' brutal.  I also go for a 3-mile walk during my lunch break every day, burning another 250 or so.  So I'm right at about 1,200 calories burned each day, 5 days a week.  

Plus I'm back 100% vegan.  Been losing about 5 lbs a week.

 

20190522_074131.thumb.jpg.6ac98bb894a23559bc8cc41d696a704d.jpg

Edited by Chew
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to drop weight right now. My budget is about ~1900 calories/day. Been doing good with it, actually came in under budget yesterday.

 

Also, taking a break from the gym and been enjoying doing bodyweight exercises. It's really exposing my weakpoints—it's really interesting just trying to move your body and need to recruit different muscle groups to do it. Deadhangs, animal walks—all this weird movement stuff my body isn't used to.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Hipster. I’m vegan 

 

My man!  What all are you eating?  Do you meal prep?  Or are you a whole-foods pre-made vegan meals hipster?

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I was making fun of you saying I’m a vegan. 

 

giphy.gif

Yes. On that vegan bus. 

 

Make no mistake. Animals do not love you. They would kill you in an Etruscan Shrew heartbeat. Vegan for health reasons, fine. Vegan for moral reasons—doesn't make sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I have rotator cuff surgery on Monday. Been living with the slight pain for 2 years. It was time to get it fixed. I have some questions: 

1. Is it a straight forward surgery, never had any surgeries in my last 49 years on earth.

2. What is recovery like, will I be able to move my arm or have to keep it in a sling for 4-6 weeks. I am right handed so this might be really tough adjustment for me. 

3 Most importantly will I be able to lift weights after 6 weeks or so?

 

Anything else I should know?

 

Thanks,

Z

 

 

Edited by zskins
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...