Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

23 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

So admittedly I'm a slug these days...diet sucks, don't exercise, blah blah blah.

If I were to start,  any tips on a starter (and I mean beginner) core program? I never did core work and I know that its the foundation for everything. I'm 45 going on 46 and really have no interest in getting ripped...I really just need to lose the spare tires and find a program that keeps my interests engaged. 

Working out your core won't really help you lose a spare tire, it'll just make your core stronger beneath your spare tire.  As @Hersh is alluding to, you need to do cardio.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I can find time to walk or even jog and will.  I was asking more about core exercises e.g. crunches (which suck), if that makes sense. 

If you hate crunches, do bodyweight squats to start. They can be done any time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a million ab/core workouts on YouTube.  I would just search "quick core workout" on Youtube and pick a new one every day to keep things fresh and cycle through all of the hot women on fitness Youtube.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Find your own motivation for doing this and find what you enjoy. Most things in life are hard to maintain long term if you think they suck and you aren't really committed to what your objective is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And fix your diet.  What I learned in my late 30s was that, unlike in my 20s, I couldn't eat (and drink) anything I wanted and still maintain a respectable level of fitness.  You cannot out-train a ****ty diet.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Working out your core won't really help you lose a spare tire, it'll just make your core stronger beneath your spare tire.  As @Hersh is alluding to, you need to do cardio.  

Additionally, crunches and movement-based core work are outdated. What they have found is that resisting movement is the best way to strengthen the core. Think planks.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.  I was a scrawny kid even in college (150ish)..but the last two decades have seen another 60 pounds get added. I need to get back under 200 again (and then find the right target weight) or I'm going to kick it early. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

I've had two surgeries in the last 3 months. First left hip then right shoulder. I am so out of shape it's driving me crazy. Another 2 1/2 months to no limitations. I can't wait to get it going again. Especially with my newly built out home gym in my garage. 

• Sad 1

Man. I remember back in my Air Force days we would work out for an insane amount of time,(that was the thinking back in the 80's),then go to McDonalds. Couple of Big Macs,fries,ect.. Then back for a few beers. Couldn't hardly gain weight to save my life.  Now? I gained 3 pounds just typing that.  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

And fix your diet.  What I learned in my late 30s was that, unlike in my 20s, I couldn't eat (and drink) anything I wanted and still maintain a respectable level of fitness.  You cannot out-train a ****ty diet.  

I can. Tren hard and eat clen

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I can find time to walk or even jog and will.  I was asking more about core exercises e.g. crunches (which suck), if that makes sense. 

As stated before diet is a huge factor and losing weight.  Also I would recommend the couch to 5k program especially since you're starting from zero.

https://rockay.com/blog/how-to-go-from-couch-to-5k-training-plan/#:~:text=Couch to 5k is a,for 20 to 30 minutes.

I finally got my wife to let me go to my gym today for the first time since March.  She wanted me to wait 6 weeks after our son was born, and welp this is week 6.

I went to my brothers gym 2 weeks ago and did a full body workout which felt great.

But today I got into my normal routine and just did shoulders/traps today.  And holy crap did it FEEL ****ING GREAT!

Thankfully I didn't quite lose as much strength as I would have expected considering I did not lift since March.  I did use some of those bands and they probably helped me maintain, but I haven't really used them in the past 2 months or so.

It's definitely disheartening to just not look as big/cut and have a little belly which I'm not used to, but I'm hoping to at least get my size/strength back like within a month hopefully as long as things keep going well.  

I asked the front desk when it's the emptiest in the gym and they said usually around 8-10am.  I was planning on trying to hit it up at 10am every day to split my day in half with working, but I may try going a little earlier.  Had to do later today around 1:15pm cause my wife had an appointment.  It was pretty empty when I got there but it got a little more crowded while I was there but I still was able to keep my distance.  

qnjEiBi.jpg

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You don't even really need to do cardio.  You just need to eat properly.  All cardio does is allow you to consume more calories daily since you burn more.  There is more advantages to it too where it will help burn more calories, but in the end it's about the calories in vs. calories out.

When I want to lean up I don't add any cardio in at all.  I just get very strict with my diet and it's very easy for me to lose 1-2 pounds a week.  Well easy in the sense that it works if I follow my plan.

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’m at the gym now. UA Sportmask. Great for a workout.

I think I am going to get one of those.  I have just heard very mixed reviews about them.  Well by that I mean reading the reviews on the website give mixed reviews saying the quality is trash and the way they size isn't really that great and people are getting wrong sizes, and you can't even return em.  At $30 they are steep so I'd expect them to be perfect.  My brother has one and says it's great because it doesn't stick to your face.  The Adidas one I have does stick to my mouth as I breathe heavy when working out.  It's not a deal breaker but it would be nice to not do that.

I want to get the Rock's latest shoes so I may just get a mask when I get those.  I have worked out in the first shoes he released but the grip on the bottom is not there so I'm thinking of replacing them with the new ones.

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

I think I am going to get one of those.  I have just heard very mixed reviews about them.  Well by that I mean reading the reviews on the website give mixed reviews saying the quality is trash and the way they size isn't really that great and people are getting wrong sizes, and you can't even return em.  At $30 they are steep so I'd expect them to be perfect.  My brother has one and says it's great because it doesn't stick to your face.  The Adidas one I have does stick to my mouth as I breathe heavy when working out.  It's not a deal breaker but it would be nice to not do that.

I want to get the Rock's latest shoes so I may just get a mask when I get those.  I have worked out in the first shoes he released but the grip on the bottom is not there so I'm thinking of replacing them with the new ones.

It’s impossible to breathe in hard enough to asphyxiate yourself. They way it sits on your face makes the mask sit out away a little bit and the material is rigid enough to keep the mask from pulling in with even the deepest of breaths.

With a surgical mask, I found myself pulling the mask in so hard on fast treadmill runs. With this mask, I get none of that. It’s perfectly comfortable to wear on my face but I’d assume your mileage may vary.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

It’s impossible to breathe in hard enough to asphyxiate yourself. They way it sits on your face makes the mask sit out away a little bit and the material is rigid enough to keep the mask from pulling in with even the deepest of breaths.

With a surgical mask, I found myself pulling the mask in so hard on fast treadmill runs. With this mask, I get none of that. It’s perfectly comfortable to wear on my face but I’d assume your mileage may vary.

That is what my brother said too so it's good to hear that from another person.  The Adidas one has an inner lining and the outer one.  The inner lining definitely can get stuck to my nostrils while breathing in, after it gets a bit wet from my sweat.

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

I have the UA Sportsmask as well, and it's the best mask I own.  I wear it the entire time I'm at the gym lifting weights, I would recommend it.  I would make sure to measure from your nose to your ear like they show online to make sure you buy the correct size, it's not a one size fits all type of mask.

1 hour ago, bushwack said:

I have the UA Sportsmask as well, and it's the best mask I own.  I wear it the entire time I'm at the gym lifting weights, I would recommend it.  I would make sure to measure from your nose to your ear like they show online to make sure you buy the correct size, it's not a one size fits all type of mask.

Multiple reviews are saying that even measuring that way does not fit properly. 

I'm going to get it at the store in the mall though if I get it so I'm guessing they can measure me there too?  I'll measure myself before I go too though.

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

Multiple reviews are saying that even measuring that way does not fit properly. 

I'm going to get it at the store in the mall though if I get it so I'm guessing they can measure me there too?  I'll measure myself before I go too though.

A guy measuring himself, what could go wrong. "When I was at the store I told them how big I needed it to be. I don't know why it keeps coming off!"

7 hours ago, purbeast said:

I asked the front desk when it's the emptiest in the gym and they said usually around 8-10am.  

Depending on the location, this does not surprise me at all. Lots of parents that would hit the gym when the kids go to school are at home with virtual school. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Anybody here have the Gorilla Bow? Been looking at that for a potential substitute (along with my fairly basic weight setup) until this **** blows over.

Looks pretty good.

I don't have that but have mentioned the resistance bands I have used, and it just looks like another variation of that.  It is better than nothing and I attribute using them to me not losing everything, but it really is nothing like lifting real weights and you aren't going to get swole or anything from those things.  For holding yourself over though it might be decent.

I was getting sick of the bands and just the workouts started to get too tedious and it didn't feel like it was doing much after a while.  It may have been mental but not feeling sore the following day made me feel like it wasn't doing much.  And I'd do sets of 25 with those things.  

I do find it funny how all the ads for these things have these huge ripped dudes showing them off.  Anyone who's ever worked out before knows that those people did not use those bands to get the way they look.  But that is what they've been doing with exercise ads since the OG bowflex.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm basically just trying to maintain what strength I have, nothing crazy. I haven't been all that big since around '09 when I hurt my knee in a dirtbike accident. Decided to drop about 10 pounds of muscle to relieve stress, and have basically hovered around 170-177 since 2012.

Planned on hitting the weights hard again before all this started, because I was angling for an armed security gig, and still am. That's gonna have to wait.

• Like 1

I ended up grabbing one of those Under Armour masks at the mall just now.

I measured just over 6 inches from bridge of nose to middle of ear, both at home and in store.  Probably like 6 1/8" or so.  I ended up getting a M/L and hope it works out because I've heard they run a little big.

It's kind of stupid they don't have a better way to fit even in store.

Edited by purbeast