Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

42 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I have two kids.  Drop them off at my moms house at like 6:45 in the morning, go to work from 7-5, then hit the gym until about 6:30 pm.  Pick up the kids and get home around 7:00.  Eat dinner and put the kids to bed around 8:00 or so.  If I’m lucky, I get an 11:30 pm hockey game to top it all off.

So basically, I get 5 hours with my kids a week until the weekend.  Some Saturdays I have to work as well.

I love hockey, but I couldn't have that schedule and have 11:30 games. I'd be wrecked. I can never come home from a game and just go straight to sleep. 

Edited by Hersh

13 hours ago, Hersh said:

I don't know how you guys have the time to be at the gym that long that many days a week. I'm pretty sure at least a couple of y'all have kids. 

I used to think it was  tough for exactly that reason--raising kids, house chores, etc. But my doctor, my wife, and my mom have been getting on me to get more exercise (and eat better). So here we  are. I  told myself that I'll just go to the gym or get exercise regularly/daily for the next two years and see where I end up. Some days I try to get up at 5 or 5:30 am before the kids are up. Other days I go after the kids are in bed (by 8 or my wife puts them to sleep I sneak out. 

I got a gym membership. I hate paying for ****, so if I don't go I feel regret. Also, I told myself that I have to go regardless of mood. Even if I go and walk on the treadmill at a slow pace for 22 minutes--what is critical is the behavior and setting the habit for myself. I used to say to myself "this is pointless" but it's not. I go and watch a show on Netflix or sports while I'm on a cardio equipment. I go to a small gym less than 5 minutes from home--another excuse I can scratch off. It's a bit of a meat-head gym, bodybuilders etc so I stick out like a sore thumb. They prob laugh because I get in and get out while some of them are  there for 2 hours. 

Basically, I had to "construct" gimmicks and tricks and support to keep me going. 

13 hours ago, Hersh said:

I don't know how you guys have the time to be at the gym that long that many days a week. I'm pretty sure at least a couple of y'all have kids. 

If I can get one hour to myself 3 days a week for the gym, I consider that a great week.  It's why I'm cool with dropping some money on in-home things that I will actually use.  

20 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I know this!  Doesn’t help me from feel less muscular because I’ve thrown out my routine.

I'm a firm believer that a week off every 2-3 months really helps. Depends on the person of course but sometimes I see my best gains after I've taken a short amount of time off. 

What (exclusively) triceps exercises are you all doing? Currently doing the rope pushdown, single arm reverse grip pushdowns, and using the Hammer Strength triceps extension machine. 

Looking for some variety and different angles.. Hate dips btw. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

What (exclusively) triceps exercises are you all doing? Currently doing the rope pushdown, single arm reverse grip pushdowns, and using the Hammer Strength triceps extension machine. 

You ever do TRX workouts? 

I miss doing dips. Used to love them but torn labrum/rotator cuff stops me from doing a lot. 

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

You ever do TRX workouts? 

I miss doing dips. Used to love them but torn labrum/rotator cuff stops me from doing a lot. 

No I'm a meat and potatoes type of gym guy (I've figured out the last 11+ months). If it requires me to watch a video 5x to understand how to do the exercise, then it's not for me. 😁

Edit.of course everything is open to change. I hated UA stuff for as long as it's been out. Then bought a t-shirt and now it's about the only brand of gym clothes (and whatever clothes) I shop for. They got to me... eventually.

38 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I'm a firm believer that a week off every 2-3 months really helps. Depends on the person of course but sometimes I see my best gains after I've taken a short amount of time off. 

I worry that if I do that, I’ll just stop going.  I’ve got a little shoulder impingement in my left shoulder that I should really just let heal, but instead I’m just adjusting form so that it doesn’t hurt at much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I worry that if I do that, I’ll just stop going.  I’ve got a little shoulder impingement in my left shoulder that I should really just let heal, but instead I’m just adjusting form so that it doesn’t hurt at much.

That's how I am/was too. I fought tendonitis is forearm and then in elbow the first 3-4 months of starting weights. Eventually it died down and now I have to go 4-5 days a week or I know I'll just stop. It has to be part of a routine for me because I prefer just coming home from work and chilling with the pups/wife and TV.

34 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

• Like 1

Any good workout regiment should have some form of auto regulation. There are lot of outside stresses that can affect our workouts. For example, say I’m doing a rigid program where it’s purely based of percentages and I’m suppose to hit 4 reps of 6 sets of 75% of my 1 rep max but I’ve been dealing with a lot of personal stuff in my life. That 75% might feel like 85%. That is going to lead me to induce bad stress that isn’t beneficial to getting stronger. If your program is actively auto regulating itself then you won’t run into issues where you become worn out and begin to dread working out. As such you will progressively overload more and more volume which will lead you to better results. 

I'm living proof that it's all about the diet.  I'll be 55 years old in March. 

My average weight has been 225.

Every day that I work, I go to the gym.  I rarely go weekends. I lift every other day and cardio on non-lifting days.

I rarely miss.  I always used to say that if I changed my diet, and cut back on the beer, that I would probably lose weight.  A medical issue forced my hand.

In 9 months, I shed 35lbs. That was 2 years ago, and I've kept it off.  I went from a 38 waist and XXL shirts, to a 34 and XL.  Doctors are thrilled and took me off of my blood pressure medicine. All of my numbers are good.

The only change, that facilitated the weight loss, is my diet.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I disagree with this 100%, volume is the driving force of hypertrophy. 

Like I said, depends on the person. It also depends on the goals. I have no interest in lifting heavy anymore nor trying to get big. I’m much more interested in being lighter and focusing on functional strength for whatever I’m doing. In this case hockey and obstacle course races.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Functional strength is a misnomer. All strength is specific. 

We must have two different definitions of functional strength training. Functional strength training is for everyday activities. 

My previous post was poorly worded. I should have said label the training for hockey and ORC as sport specific training along with my general functional strength training as I get older 

Edited by Hersh

On 1/7/2019 at 12:25 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Close grip bench press.

Skullcrushers

Dips

I too can't really do dips anymore due to shoulder issues.  I've had ongoing shoulder issues for like 2-3 years now and I just work through them.  I even stopped lifting for 3 weeks in December through the holidays because I got sick and then the holidays, etc, and my shoulder felt better but the first day back I could feel it.  There are certain exercises I know will aggrivate it so I try not to do them or do them light and hold very strict form.  It hurts most when doing bench presses though, more so than when doing military presses. 

• Thanks 1