Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III


Recommended Posts

Also have been thinking about getting a Peloton.  They are ****ing expensive though.

 

Was doing Crossfit for about 6 months, then hurt my back doing something totally unrelated and simple, which is the height of irony.  So I've been relegated to spin classes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

How do ya'll reliably tell how much you actually weigh?  I can get on four different scales and get four different readings (analog and digital).  It's frustrating, I know I'm making progress, just no idea how much.

 

I actually try not to focus on my weight.  It's a really misleading metric given that muscle weighs more than fat.  So when I was doing the six months of CrossFit, I got way more fit, way more muscular, shed some fat (tho not enough) and felt a lot better, but weighed more.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

 

I actually try not to focus on my weight.  It's a really misleading metric given that muscle weighs more than fat.  So when I was doing the six months of CrossFit, I got way more fit, way more muscular, shed some fat (tho not enough) and felt a lot better, but weighed more.  

I understand exactly what you are talking about, I just don't think I should be 240-250 right now.  My muscle mass has grown considerably over the last yea or two, but I look at a lot of sports athletes that I can tell are stronger then me, but weight in the 210-220 range at my same height.  You're right that body fat ratio is a more important stat then actual weight, just wish I knew where I was actually at.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I understand exactly what you are talking about, I just don't think I should be 240-250 right now.  My muscle mass has grown considerably over the last yea or two, but I look at a lot of sports athletes that I can tell are stronger then me, but weight in the 210-220 range at my same height.  You're right that body fat ratio is a more important stat then actual weight, just wish I knew where I was actually at.

 

Yep, totally get it.  As for the scales, I would grab something that you know to weigh a specific amount, like a 45 lb plate, and put it on each of your 4 scales.  Whichever one is closest, just use that one and toss the others out. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

How do ya'll reliably tell how much you actually weigh?  I can get on four different scales and get four different readings (analog and digital).  It's frustrating, I know I'm making progress, just no idea how much.

 

I think it’s important to just use the same scale for consistency.

 

I have a Withings (now Nokia) smart scale.  Seems lower than what my Dr says (beam style scale) by about 5 lbs though.

 

Im more concerned with body fat percentage and waist-height ratio though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I understand exactly what you are talking about, I just don't think I should be 240-250 right now.  My muscle mass has grown considerably over the last yea or two, but I look at a lot of sports athletes that I can tell are stronger then me, but weight in the 210-220 range at my same height.  You're right that body fat ratio is a more important stat then actual weight, just wish I knew where I was actually at.

 

As stated already, as long as you use the same scale you’ll have a good sense of your weight. One thing I wouldn’t do is compare myself to a professional athlete. They have lots of hours to train, money to have nutritionalists and personal chefs, etc 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m into somewhat of a routine.

 

I go to the gym 5 times a week, do about 15 minutes of cardio and then about 30-45 minutes of stength.  Cardio is either treadmill or stationary bike (been more of a stationary bike bike thing lately since I hurt my foot playing hockey). Strength is upper body mon-wed-fri.  Lower body and abs on tues-thurs.  Been doing this for about a year or so.

 

I also play men’s league hockey twice a week.  That’s a nice workout for sure.

 

 

Body weight has stayed the same, even gone up a few pounds from 178-182 to 184-186 in this time span.  I’m starting to count my calories now, see if I can cut a few pounds before summer.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My routine is pretty fixed as well

 

Sunday: Deadlift/Squat/Bench/Shoulder press 

 

Monday: Hot yoga and a cardio session

 

Tuesday: Pullups, lats, rows, hyper extension, machine squats

 

Wed: Hot yoga or basketball

 

Thursday: Deadlifts/Bench/shoulders/lunges 

 

Friday: Hot yoga

 

That is an ideal week. I am usually able to get in the weights but miss out on yoga here and there. My meal plan is essentially intermittent fasting (i eat between 12 PM and 8 PM) while adjusting macros depending on what I am doing that day 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Since Workout Thread II is closed.

 

Today, 6 sets of 53 pound kettlebell swings till failure.  100 pushups.  

 

Anyone have a Peloton?  Been thinking about getting one.

 

Been thinking about getting a vertical climber to be able to do something for 10-20 minutes first thing in the morning. The one I’m looking at is sold out and I’m not spending top dollar.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have shifted over the past 2 years from primarily working out in the evening to being in the gym by 6 AM.

 

What time of day do you folks get in your workouts? I really enjoy the AM workouts as the psychological effect of an "early morning win" carries me through the day 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

I have shifted over the past 2 years from primarily working out in the evening to being in the gym by 6 AM.

 

What time of day do you folks get in your workouts? I really enjoy the AM workouts as the psychological effect of an "early morning win" carries me through the day 

 

Same way.  I usually go to Orange Theory at the one closest to me, it starts at 5:15 am.  Get the morning win feeling.  Also, it's WAY easier to drive there, no one's on the road and traffic is bearable after.  The last thing I want to do after work is sit in traffic to go to the gym.  I like getting it done and out of the way first thing so I can be lazy later.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Also have been thinking about getting a Peloton.  They are ****ing expensive though.

 

Was doing Crossfit for about 6 months, then hurt my back doing something totally unrelated and simple, which is the height of irony.  So I've been relegated to spin classes. 

 

 

did the exact same thing recently. was feeling all good about myself, ramping up my exercise, then boom. upper back locks up and i'm in bed for 6 hours pumping myself full of various drugs, heat, ice and, finally, a TENS machine (which was the only thing that brought relief). 

 

how is spin class on your back? i'm actually probably going to join my local planet fitness just for the use of machines like ellipticals and stairmasters because they are less likely to get in the way of my back issues (which is really lower back, not upper, 99.9% of the time).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer a morning workout, but that doesn’t really happen.  I have two kids to dispense of before 7:00 am mon-tues-thurs-fri so Wednesday is the only day I can get an early workout in.  The other weekdays I hit the gym at about 5:00, right when everyone else is... which is lame.  But, there’s more scenery as well.  So a trade off.

 

Hockey is usually late at night, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00.  Or Burt early on Sundays at like 7:00.  Ice times blow in this area.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One last thing. I have a stand up desk both at home and at the office. I generally spend 5 hours a day balancing on the board I have at my desk. 

 

I have finally accepted that having 6 pack abs and being married is impossible. However I try every little thing possible including standing as much as possible 

 

The stand up desk also saved my back

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

I have shifted over the past 2 years from primarily working out in the evening to being in the gym by 6 AM.

 

What time of day do you folks get in your workouts? I really enjoy the AM workouts as the psychological effect of an "early morning win" carries me through the day 

 

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

 

Same way.  I usually go to Orange Theory at the one closest to me, it starts at 5:15 am.  Get the morning win feeling.  Also, it's WAY easier to drive there, no one's on the road and traffic is bearable after.  The last thing I want to do after work is sit in traffic to go to the gym.  I like getting it done and out of the way first thing so I can be lazy later.

 

I REALLY need to get into this habit.  I am not and have never been a morning person.  But now I tend to stay late at work more nights than not, so I either have to go at lunch or get it in on the nights that I don't work late, which are entirely unpredictable.  Plus the whole "having a 2 year old" doesn't help.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Springfield said:

I prefer a morning workout, but that doesn’t really happen.  I have two kids to dispense of before 7:00 am mon-tues-thurs-fri so Wednesday is the only day I can get an early workout in.  

 

 

Yea, I used to be an early morning workout guy and then the 3+ kid started waking up as well. Home from work is rescuing my wife from them for a bit and all that stuff until their bed and then suddenly it's 8 and I just want to veg out. Ugh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grego said:

 

 

did the exact same thing recently. was feeling all good about myself, ramping up my exercise, then boom. upper back locks up and i'm in bed for 6 hours pumping myself full of various drugs, heat, ice and, finally, a TENS machine (which was the only thing that brought relief). 

 

how is spin class on your back? i'm actually probably going to join my local planet fitness just for the use of machines like ellipticals and stairmasters because they are less likely to get in the way of my back issues (which is really lower back, not upper, 99.9% of the time).

 

HAHA, I was feeling GREAT, then threw my lower back out simply bending over to put detergent in the dishwasher.  It's an old injury from a car wreck i was in like 12 years ago (Spiff probably remembers).  I also own a TENS machine, it is my best friend.  I hurt it like 3 weeks ago, my MRI is Friday.  

 

Spin is fine for my back and a great workout.  I go to Soul Cycle which is conveniently across the street from my office.  Spin is also solid because I have a messed up plantar fascia in my left foot (already had the right one surgically repaired) so running is not an option.  I am falling apart. :ols:

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

 

HAHA, I was feeling GREAT, then threw my lower back out simply bending over to put detergent in the dishwasher.  It's an old injury from a car wreck i was in like 12 years ago (Spiff probably remembers).  I also own a TENS machine, it is my best friend.  I hurt it like 3 weeks ago, my MRI is Friday.  

 

Spin is fine for my back and a great workout.  I go to Soul Cycle which is conveniently across the street from my office.  Spin is also solid because I have a messed up plantar fascia in my left foot (already had the right one surgically repaired) so running is not an option.  I am falling apart. :ols:

 

 

 

Getting old sucks

 

I threw out my back in late '15 (after a summer of back struggles) getting out of the car. I could not walk the rest of the day and thank god we had a fitness fair in the office where I got a massage and was able to move a bit.

 

Without the stand up desk and yoga I feel my back would have completely fallen apart by now. After multiple exams and an MRI it was obvious there was nothing obviously wrong, but instead we discovered I had awful ankles and foot movement which caused issues in my hips and lower back 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

 

 

I REALLY need to get into this habit.  I am not and have never been a morning person.  But now I tend to stay late at work more nights than not, so I either have to go at lunch or get it in on the nights that I don't work late, which are entirely unpredictable.  Plus the whole "having a 2 year old" doesn't help.  

 

Dude, it's the best.  Just get into the habit of getting up and going to the gym.  Don't even have to go all out, just say you went. 

 

Set the alarm clock across the room so you have to get up to turn it off, put your gym clothes next to it.  Boom, done.

 

Or if your phone is your alarm, set like 10 different alarms, every other minute. 

 

Sorry to hear about your back man, I do remember that accident.  I also remember coming up with the crazy idea to sit on the side of the road with you WAITING for that car to come past because my theory was that person was on their way home from work and likely to go that route again.  Anyway, we're (long over) due for a beer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

 

 

Yea, I used to be an early morning workout guy and then the 3+ kid started waking up as well. Home from work is rescuing my wife from them for a bit and all that stuff until their bed and then suddenly it's 8 and I just want to veg out. Ugh. 

 

Yeah, once I get home from work it’s kids time.  Then we put them to bed after dinner and relaxation hits.  Can’t go to the gym after that.  Nope.  I can make hockey though because I love hockey almost as much as my wife and kids.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

 

Sorry to hear about your back man, I do remember that accident.  I also remember coming up with the crazy idea to sit on the side of the road with you WAITING for that car to come past because my theory was that person was on their way home from work and likely to go that route again.  Anyway, we're (long over) due for a beer.

 

If I had known then that my back was going to be ****ed up forever, I would have gone back every day until I found her, then I would have done things only described in Stephen King novels.  

 

And yes, long overdue.  I think I'm free Saturday, but need to check with my social secretary (Jenn). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I understand exactly what you are talking about, I just don't think I should be 240-250 right now.  My muscle mass has grown considerably over the last yea or two, but I look at a lot of sports athletes that I can tell are stronger then me, but weight in the 210-220 range at my same height.  You're right that body fat ratio is a more important stat then actual weight, just wish I knew where I was actually at.

Water weight fluctuates. Use the same scale and weigh yourself in the same condition like in the morning and track your progress over a long period of time. 

 

If you have the resources you can get a dexa scan to tell you your fat and lean body mass. Or if you have a tape measure there are ways to calculate your body fat percentage by measuring your neck belly etc. google it. 

 

Also, for every 4 lbs of fat you lose like a lb of water and stuff (I thinks it’s like blood or something else) . So when you get leaner you have to lose more weight than you think. Example say you are trying to lose 20 lbs of fat. You would have to lose 25 lbs total because of the water loss and other stuff. 

 

This also helps explains why you see athletes at your height at that weight. So if you lost 40 lbs of fat, it would actually be 50 lbs total and that would make you smaller than the athletes which makes sense since they have more lean body mass. 

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

 

Dude, it's the best.  Just get into the habit of getting up and going to the gym.  Don't even have to go all out, just say you went. 

 

Set the alarm clock across the room so you have to get up to turn it off, put your gym clothes next to it.  Boom, done.

 

 

 

That is how I got in the habit. Would wake up early to go to the apt gym and just do 20 minutes on a precor machine and stretch. 

 

Eventually that hat got me to getting in the real gym (Lifetime in Cary NC) at 6

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...