Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Anyone know any good oblique exercises for the gym?  I don't see any on bodybuilder exercise database and all my equipment and weights are in storage.  Used to put a barbell behind my next on my shoulders with 90lbs or more and shift from side to side, but trying see if more efficient method to go with my core day exercises that's now missing

I've always done the following:

Side planks and side plank dips. 

Side plank rows if you are able to do this with a cable machine

Knees to elbow. Push up position while basically run in place with your legs. Also try with bring right knee to left elbow, left knee to right elbow (as best as possible)  

Grab a a 45 plate in one hand, hold at your side standing as straight as possible. Take your free hand and lean to the side tryign to get your free hand as far down your leg as possible. Basically you're just leaning opposite the plate as far as you can. 15-20 reps then switch sides and do a few sets.

Russian twists, especially with a medicine ball

Hanging twists. Hang on the pullup bar, pull your legs up so they are parallel to the floor and move left and right. You could even put a bench or stool underneath you and move legs from the right side up and down on the left side of the bench and just go back and forth. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Thanks 1

Did regular barbell bench for the first time in probably 4+ months. I've been exclusively using dumbbells for bench and incline bench. I've gotten significantly stronger these past several months. ? Don't get me wrong i'm never going to be a meathead but being able to bench my weight (and eventually being able to work out with my weight or more) is definitely a goal.

Now if I could just get motivated to work the belly off. I've tried a million different exercises and I think I hate all of them. I know dieting is a huge part and I've tried to cutback but the sweet tooth is the hardest habit for me to kick.

Getting your belly off is ALL diet.  You could have the strongest and most defined 8 pack set of abs, but if you aren't eating right it's going to be hidden by fat.

I see people in the gym doing 100s of crunches thinking that is going to give them the 6 pack they want.  It's not going to help with that at all.  I mean it will help make your abs stronger sure, but you aren't going to see them.

If you just do deadlifts and squats, chances are you can easily have a 6 pack as long as you are eating right.  Those exercises alone provide a lot of core involvement.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Same. I get to the point where I feel like i only work out so i can eat sweets lol

It does come in handy  for when you wanna punish some Bojangles...

Trying to wean myself off of it though, because I may have to ramp down. Been a nearly everyday hard cardio runner for about 12 years now, and I've had an occasionally sore Achilles and left knee for a couple years. 

Just recently bought those Under Armour Hovr Phantom's, which might be the most comfortable shoes I've ever put on, but still, probably just need to take it easy for awhile.

I'm past the point where I care about having a shredded 6 pack.  I'm nearly 37 and married with a 3 year old.  I pretty much always have a somewhat visible 6 pack, even if I'm not really paying attention to my diet.  I don't really eat terribly though even when I'm not paying attention to my diet.  But I will also go for 2-3 months where I watch what I eat and lose like 10lbs and get a bit leaner, but I'm never as shredded as I was when I was younger.  But I'm also a lot bigger now too as my "normal" weight is between like 200-210lbs.

I just got back from Grand Cayman and one of the best parts about going there was eating all of the good food. I just love eating good food lol.  But typically I try to eat decent during the week, then eat whatever I want on the weekends.

43 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'm past the point where I care about having a shredded 6 pack.  I'm nearly 37 and married with a 3 year old.  I pretty much always have a somewhat visible 6 pack, even if I'm not really paying attention to my diet.  I don't really eat terribly though even when I'm not paying attention to my diet.  But I will also go for 2-3 months where I watch what I eat and lose like 10lbs and get a bit leaner, but I'm never as shredded as I was when I was younger.  But I'm also a lot bigger now too as my "normal" weight is between like 200-210lbs.

I just got back from Grand Cayman and one of the best parts about going there was eating all of the good food. I just love eating good food lol.  But typically I try to eat decent during the week, then eat whatever I want on the weekends.

Same here (age and 3 year old).  I eat pretty well most of the time, and luckily don't really have a sweet tooth.  I  usually walk around at 190, but recently had to deal with a bad foot issue and have been totally sedentary for about 10 months, so I'm at 200 right now.  I truly believe that if I just stopped drinking alcohol for 2 months, I'd drop 10-15 lbs and be awfully close to my ideal weight, but I'm not going to do that.  :ols:

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Same here (age and 3 year old).  I eat pretty well most of the time, and luckily don't really have a sweet tooth.  I  usually walk around at 190, but recently had to deal with a bad foot issue and have been totally sedentary for about 10 months, so I'm at 200 right now.  I truly believe that if I just stopped drinking alcohol for 2 months, I'd drop 10-15 lbs and be awfully close to my ideal weight, but I'm not going to do that.  :ols:

My ideal weight would be like 200lbs shredded but that probably just won't happen.  I'd love to get back up to 215lbs and then cut and keep my size but lose mainly 15lbs of fat.  But that usually doesn't happen for me, I lose some muscle size while losing fat, just because it's tough to only lose fat.

At 200 I'm somewhat lean but I "feel" skinny.  If I get to like 195lbs I feel like a toothpick lol.  The funny part is I graduated college weighing like 165lbs.  I couldn't even imagine ever being that little again.  I was lifting then too but was tiny.

• 3 months later...

So I'm only down 12 to 15 pounds since I started weights 11 months ago. Mind you I'll be 44 in exactly 2 weeks...but I have seen some good growth. I used to only bench 135-155 range but now I'm at the 185-205 range. My shoulders are starting to broaden and I'm seeing some definition in the upper back. But still I can't quit sugar and thus the potbelly remains. I know I should cut back...and run again..but **** what is life if I can't enjoy empty sugar calories. 😁

Anyway just wanted to humble brag about my first year fully back in the gym since grad school 20(!) years ago. As the Rock says..progress through pain.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

So I'm only down 12 to 15 pounds since I started weights 11 months ago. Mind you I'll be 44 in exactly 2 weeks...but I have seen some good growth. I used to only bench 135-155 range but now I'm at the 185-205 range. My shoulders are starting to broaden and I'm seeing some definition in the upper back. But still I can't quit sugar and thus the potbelly remains. I know I should cut back...and run again..but **** what is life if I can't enjoy empty sugar calories. 😁

Anyway just wanted to humble brag about my first year fully back in the gym since grad school 20(!) years ago. As the Rock says..progress through pain.

I'm kind of in the same boat at 34. Got too much flub on the tub and junk in the trunk, while I've worked out just enough to get some muscle definition but not enough to get rid of my pointy male breasts, mostly due to sweets and junk food intake.

Time to either pump more iron or buy a bra. Can't have it both ways anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Congrats! 

I’m planning on running a half marathon this year. 

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big
  • Like 1

This year, my workout is running 2.3 miles pushing my 35 lb. son in a running stroller with one hand and holding on to a 50 lb dog's leash with thw other hand. Then, I bribe my son with a life saver and repeat the run with a second dog. Then, I repeat with a third dog before calling the workout done. I have been soing this a couple times a week.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gbear said:

This year, my workout is running 2.3 miles pushing my 35 lb. son in a running stroller with one hand and holding on to a 50 lb dog's leash with thw other hand. Then, I bribe my son with a life saver and repeat the run with a second dog. Then, I repeat with a third dog before calling the workout done. I have been soing this a couple times a week.

Show off. ;)

• Haha 1

Got back again into running every day, or at least 5 days a week. At the moment it's on my treadmill at home, catching up on my Netflix list. Once the evenings get bright enough I'll be on the trail listening to podcasts, and running with the big dog.

Just pure joy not having to interact with anyone. 🙂

Resolution crowd? 

Glad to see some of y'all mentioning cardio, I think it's imperative to include in your workout routine.  

For those who have issues with jogging/running, if you can get access to a stair master I suggest trying it.  Minimal impact, but will have you sweating your ass off. 

During December, I was going to a bootcamp/strength training class 3 days a week.  It was pretty great, but my work schedule is too hectic to keep it going.  I got my wife a Peloton for Xmas, so I'm going to use that for a few months and then probably join a gym.