Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

Just worked out with that UA mask.  It's better than the Adidas ones for sure.  It still does "cave in" a bit when I am breathing heavy and while it doesn't completely stick to your mouth, it definitely tries.  It's better than the Adidas one by far though.  

It feels a bit small vertically.  Like I wish it hugged my chin a bit more on the bottom of my chin like the Adidas one.  Because of this I notice it sliding down slightly on my nose if I'm making faces while lifting.  It never slide off my nose exposing my nostrils completely or anything, but it felt like it could have.

I also wish the wire in the nose piece area held better.  Mine definitely doesn't seem to be bending as much as I'd like to hold the curvature around my nose.

All of these issues I didn't really notice though until the mask was basically saturated in sweat.  And these are pretty minor issues overall I liked it.  I do think that for $30 that the price is stupid expensive, especially since I got 3 of the Adidas ones for like $18 or something.  These should be like $10 max for one.  They know what they are doing though because while I was in the store yesterday 3 people came in asking for them and bought them.  But that is just the UA tax I guess.

19 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I have kept a physical activity log for almost two years now. I'm pretty good most of the time getting my ass moving. My weakness is food. It's all around me and so much of it tastes so good (when it hits your lips). Sadly, I can't out train my eating desires.

Why is it all around you?

8 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Isabel today. Took me 3.22. So basically twice as long as this 

Serious question - why is form not a concern for crossfit?  Pretty much any video I watch of people doing crossfit their form on exercises are really bad, this one included.

That's a good point @purbeast. I've never done CrossFit though myself. It would probably kick my ass the first few times.

I've been working out with better form and less weight. I'm talking bicep curls on and inclined bench at like 20-25 lbs. Isolating the biceps as much as possible. I've only been focusing on that specifically over the last month or so, but I really credit it to helping the biceps gains. Dumbbell bench press I've really been working on going slow while also adding progressively more weight.

Right now my neck is ****ed. I think it's something I'm just going to be living with. My C5-6 disc has something wrong with it, I forget exactly what because the hell if I'm going to consider spinal surgery on my neck. But basically I have to be careful with how I exert myself. I was playing with the kids (5 and 4) and they were crawling all over me, hanging off of me and it really strained my neck. I stretch and message the upper back and neck muscles so damn much these days just to keep up my spinal mobility which helps (and overall helps in general). Stretching is key friends! ****ing key.

17 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Form seems fine. 

So this is "fine" for crossfit then?  Because his range of motion looks pretty terrible.  It's like those guys who squat and hardly even go down at all.  He looks like he's just flailing the bar over his head.

Again, serious question not even trying to be a dick or anything.  This is what I'm asking.  It seems like crossfit just doesn't care about proper form in the examples I have seen.  Like I've seen dudes doing these pullups that are comical but apparently it's a crossfit thing.

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

So this is "fine" for crossfit then?  Because his range of motion looks pretty terrible.  It's like those guys who squat and hardly even go down at all.  He looks like he's just flailing the bar over his head.

Again, serious question not even trying to be a dick or anything.  This is what I'm asking.  It seems like crossfit just doesn't care about proper form in the examples I have seen.  Like I've seen dudes doing these pullups that are comical but apparently it's a crossfit thing.

Yea, the point isn’t perfect form. I always hear people complain about the kipping pullups. Yep, they look funny and aren’t strict pullups. I also cant do 30 strict pullups, but i can do 30 kipping pullups, which is a great workout cardio-wise. Same deal with the snatches. 

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

Right now my neck is ****ed. I think it's something I'm just going to be living with. My C5-6 disc has something wrong with it, I forget exactly what because the hell if I'm going to consider spinal surgery on my neck. But basically I have to be careful with how I exert myself. I was playing with the kids (5 and 4) and they were crawling all over me, hanging off of me and it really strained my neck. I stretch and message the upper back and neck muscles so damn much these days just to keep up my spinal mobility which helps (and overall helps in general). Stretching is key friends! ****ing key.

Would yoga help?

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

It’s sport specific, form without context is meaningless. If the form allows them to maximize their score then its good form. For powerlifting there are specific rules that must be followed.

And even then you can see people push the rules. Like when they have 2 inch range of motion bench press or use sumo to shorten range of the deadlift. 

there’s are actually a lot of studies showing good form doesn’t prevent injury. Best way to prevent injury is gradual exposure to exercise.

45 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, the point isn’t perfect form. I always hear people complain about the kipping pullups. Yep, they look funny and aren’t strict pullups. I also cant do 30 strict pullups, but i can do 30 kipping pullups, which is a great workout cardio-wise. Same deal with the snatches. 

I'm not even talking perfect form I'm talking good form.  That guy has terrible form for the exercise he's trying to do.

Typically the reason for bad form is because the weight is too heavy.

I mean you can't do 30 normal pullups cause that is hard as hell, it makes sense. 

You can do 30 of those other ones because they are easy and you are cheating a normal pullup.

To each their own, but if you're going to do something, why not do it right?  I see people all the time at the gym doing stupid ass exercises and completely wrong and there is a reason they aren't built.  It's because they are doing stuff wrong.  And this is coming from someone who did **** wrong for many years.

1 minute ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

It’s sport specific, form without context is meaningless. If the form allows them to maximize their score then its good form. For powerlifting there are specific rules that must be followed.

And even then you can see people push the rules. Like when they have 2 inch range of motion bench press or use sumo to shorten range of the deadlift. 

there’s are actually a lot of studies showing good form doesn’t prevent injury. Best way to prevent injury is gradual exposure to exercise.

I don't know what a score is but it sounds like you are basically cheating yourself to get a better score.  It's like the guys who use a hand wedge and pull their ball out of the rough in golf to shoot better rounds.  The only person you are cheating is yourself.

Okay so you have poor form and hardly any range of motion, but hey at least you have a high score!  Good for you I guess?

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'm not even talking perfect form I'm talking good form.  That guy has terrible form for the exercise he's trying to do.

Typically the reason for bad form is because the weight is too heavy.

I mean you can't do 30 normal pullups cause that is hard as hell, it makes sense. 

You can do 30 of those other ones because they are easy and you are cheating a normal pullup.

To each their own, but if you're going to do something, why not do it right?  I see people all the time at the gym doing stupid ass exercises and completely wrong and there is a reason they aren't built.  It's because they are doing stuff wrong.  And this is coming from someone who did **** wrong for many years.

I don't know what a score is but it sounds like you are basically cheating yourself to get a better score.  It's like the guys who use a hand wedge and pull their ball out of the rough in golf to shoot better rounds.  The only person you are cheating is yourself.

Okay so you have poor form and hardly any range of motion, but hey at least you have a high score!  Good for you I guess?

for people who compete in their actual sport, like CrossFit or powerlifting. that’s all that matters. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, method man said:

Anyone else here do jiu jitsu? I miss my Saturday morning classes and Sunday open mats where I’d roll for the better part of an hour. Nothing will give you as big a pump after!

I used to do Krav Maga, which incorporated elements of BJJ.  Sometimes they'd bring in BJJ students to roll with us.

48 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

for people who compete in their actual sport, like CrossFit or powerlifting. that’s all that matters. 

Not sure about cross fit but for powerlifting that is not true.  Form matters.

If form doesn't matter in cross fit, how do you know what constitutes a true rep?  And this is a legit question - I am wondering how they can consider reps to be legit if people are doing them differently.

34 minutes ago, purbeast said:

If form doesn't matter in cross fit, how do you know what constitutes a true rep?  And this is a legit question - I am wondering how they can consider reps to be legit if people are doing them differently.

Each movement has set standards. I think you’ve gone too far down the “form doesn’t matter” path. Form matters a lot in CF, you are just applying your own standards for form, which are evidently different. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I know a lot of CrossFit people who complain about that stuff in competitions. Refs aren’t perfect. And there’s always some gray zone. 

but my point is that form for powerlifting doesn’t cross over to CrossFit. In CrossFit they ain’t trying to maximize a 1 rep max. So to judge them by powerlifting form criteria doesn’t make sense. They aren’t powerlifting. 

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big
  • Like 2