Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

On 7/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, Chew said:

So, I'd heard about body dysmorphia, but never knew it would hit me so hard. 6'2 240, I've always been a big dude.  I'm low-key getting pretty swole...but without a pump, I feel and look small to myself in the mirror.   It's really weird.  Been lifting heavy 6 days a week for about a year now.  Creatine & 160g of protein daily, lots of water and sleep.  

Anywho.  We've had our Tonal for about 2 1/2 months now, and I can't say enough about it.  ****ing amazing piece of equipment.  My wife uses it for all of her weight training.  I still like doing dumbbell workouts, but I use the Tonal for maybe 15 exercises six days a week (you can do over 100).  

It does everything.  Tracks progress and PRs, it measures your power with each rep, suggests when you're ready for more weight or need to lower the weight, corrects your form, all in real time.  Videos for each exercise to make sure your form is right.  It tracks your total weight for each rep, set, and total workout.  I just hit 200,000 lbs total 🏋️

It has radio stations, syncs with your phone (app) and you can track your progress.  You can setup your own custom workouts or follow one of the dozens of preloaded workouts they have.  You can select which muscle group you wanna use and all the exercises will pop up.  

One thing that's kinda wonky, the electric magnetic weights.  It's SO MUCH heavier than real plates.  Example - I can bench 225 for sets.  But with the Tonal, I can barely do 1 rep of 200.  Wild.  

This thing is worth every god damn penny, I'll never need a gym membership again.  

1.61 MB · 0 downloads

Excuse the mess, we're turning our basement bedroom into a full gym.  

IMG_20210525_194649.jpg.7ba1a6dd12e639b464e13dc85f293b93.jpgIMG_20210525_204600.thumb.jpg.eb1fecf0cd4d85338fb77c8ae08527ac.jpg

IMG_20210525_203047.thumb.jpg.e5247554b43f8de56acb192bed7632f7.jpg

OK, you're just tryin' to show me up. 

Somebody come get this rowing machine and walker-thingy.  They're taking up space I need.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, purbeast said:

You can control your weight pretty easily with diet.  Anyone who has visible abs has that because of their diet, not because of how much they work out.  You can also have a crazy six pack that you can't see because you have a layer of fat hiding it.

All exercising does in terms of losing weight is burns more calories.  So if you don't workout and burn 2000 calories a day and eat 1500 calories a day, you will still lose weight.  Add in exercising and say you burn 2500 but still only eat 1500, you will lose more weight 

There is more to it than that too but that is just a more general thought about it.  

There is also a lot more to your overall health than just weight, and exercising helps with that other stuff.  You can be skinny as all hell and still be extremely unhealthy.  That doesn't mean your heart is healthy though.

That's what I'm asking, what's that other stuff. Because right now my joints too ****ed up to do any exercise 😵💫

After doing copious amounts of research and asking around I have decided for the good of my health and brittle joints I will now retire from most forms of exercise. I will still walk a mile to FedEx field but that will basically be it. The joints are too battered and worn down for any kind of daily workout.

On 9/3/2022 at 10:25 AM, purbeast said:

You can control your weight pretty easily with diet.  Anyone who has visible abs has that because of their diet, not because of how much they work out.  You can also have a crazy six pack that you can't see because you have a layer of fat hiding it.

All exercising does in terms of losing weight is burns more calories.  So if you don't workout and burn 2000 calories a day and eat 1500 calories a day, you will still lose weight.  Add in exercising and say you burn 2500 but still only eat 1500, you will lose more weight 

There is more to it than that too but that is just a more general thought about it.  

There is also a lot more to your overall health than just weight, and exercising helps with that other stuff.  You can be skinny as all hell and still be extremely unhealthy.  That doesn't mean your heart is healthy though.

This.

In addition to exercise, that's exactly how I lost 40+ lbs years ago and have kept it off.  It took nearly a year, but I lost the weight and kept it off.  There are not shortcuts.  None.   

You eat it, you wear it.

57 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

This.

In addition to exercise, that's exactly how I lost 40+ lbs years ago and have kept it off.  It took nearly a year, but I lost the weight and kept it off.  There are not shortcuts.  None.   

You eat it, you wear it.

Yeah it'll be hard to do that during tailgate season but I'll try to keep the calories down. It won't be easy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Yeah it'll be hard to do that during tailgate season but I'll try to keep the calories down. It won't be easy

I did, so you can too.

Pez and I lost a lot of weight around the same time and it's all about eating right. 

I consider Tailgates a cheat day, and don't give a **** what I eat or drink on those days.  Besides, after I gave up most of my crappy eating habits, I found that I can't eat as much anyway. 

My weight loss was collateral damage, so to speak.   I was having acid reflux issues, so the doctor had me follow a "GERD" diet, (Google it), for a few months, as we tried to figure what foods triggered my issues.   It's pretty much a low-fat diet and, as a result of eating right, I started to lose weight.    I was so happy with the results that I continue to eat right.   

After a while, I quit following the strict GERD diet, and gradually added different foods, alcohol, etc. but in reasonable quantities.

I don't count calories, carbs, etc.   I just reel n the fat intake and try to maintain a balanced diet.   One thing that I am strict about,  is not eating/snacking within a couple hours of bed-time.

My weight loss was 4-5 years ago and I've kept it off by eating sensibly and  fluctuates between 188-195lbs which feels a helluva lot better than carrying 235lbs around.

There's a lot of benefits....it's easier on your heart, joints, everything.  I quit snoring too.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

If you are severely overweight and have tried dieting/exercise and it hasn’t worked for you, there is no shame in trying weight loss medication. There are effective weight loss medication that do help curve appetite. 

it’s no different than taking an other prescription drug. 

I considered an easy quick fix to lose weight but go ogling I found side effects which freaked me out. 

Sadly there is no quick fix or magic. Just portion control. It's affecting the way I think too. I was in Maryland yesterday and I saw one them royal farms billboards I'm like I can't eat rofo anymore. Not even a 2 pc 😂

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

So if I'm doing push ups and sit ups, does it matter if I do them everyday? I just need something to help pass time when I'm waiting. I can feel the muscles working when I'm doing it. But the next day I'm fine. Do I still need a rest day?

If you want to avoid injury risk and maximize gains you should  have a rest day for any strength exercise. There are plenty of body weight exercises you can do on the alternate days.

All the research says training to fatigue isn’t the most productive form of training. Training to rpe 7 for most things seems to be the sweet spot between work load and fatigue management. RPE is rate of perceived exhaustion. 

increased intensity seems to have have an exponential relationship to fatigue which hinders long term growth. Gradually increasing work capacity seems to be the best path forward to increase strength gainz and hypertrophy, however hypertrophy is a contested matter and litature isn’t quite as clear yet. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2022 at 12:02 AM, Corcaigh said:

If you want to avoid injury risk and maximize gains you should  have a rest day for any strength exercise. There are plenty of body weight exercises you can do on the alternate days.

Separate question. I'm doing these push ups and it was cool when I could get 10, then 20, then 25. Now I'm doing sets basically 25, 15, 10 but I have no idea why just sounded cool and it adds to 50. But other than being able to do them now I don't feel any different. Am I rushing it? 

12 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Separate question. I'm doing these push ups and it was cool when I could get 10, then 20, then 25. Now I'm doing sets basically 25, 15, 10 but I have no idea why just sounded cool and it adds to 50. But other than being able to do them now I don't feel any different. Am I rushing it? 

Rushing it? Those specific muscles in your arms and chest area are clearly stronger. Make sure you develop back muscles too for balance, though exercises such as pull-ups or inverted rows.

21 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Rushing it? Those specific muscles in your arms and chest area are clearly stronger. Make sure you develop back muscles too for balance, though exercises such as pull-ups or inverted rows.

But I don't see anything different about my body. My muscles look the same. 

I'm curious about what I'm even working on. I thought I was working my back too. I will try to incorporate pull ups but I have nothing in house that could do it. I have seen the over door things but I don't want to fall. We'll see

I am back to my every commercial break of the game doing 15 push-ups followed by a 30 second plank (left side, two hands in middle, followed by right side planks alternating pattern not doing the same one 2 commercial breaks in a row).  There are a staggering amount of commercial breaks in a game...No singe break seems like too much, but by the end of the game I am not cheering for time-outs.

I do those in addition to training my neighbor's dog to run.  I have the dog to the point of not pulling too much after the first 100 yards, and it is good to go for the next 3-4 miles.  I have him back in the 8 min mile range.  It is a hyper dog that desperately needs a job around the house, but they don't have time to train him.  At least when he runs with me, he doesn't spend the day barking at everything.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

But I don't see anything different about my body. My muscles look the same. 

I'm curious about what I'm even working on. I thought I was working my back too. I will try to incorporate pull ups but I have nothing in house that could do it. I have seen the over door things but I don't want to fall. We'll see

You're not going to see any visible gains doing 50 pushups.  Sure it's better than nothing, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not doing much.

You are working on chest and triceps doing pushups.  You will also be using your core as long as you are doing them properly and keeping your body straight.

To be blunt and honest, if you are just doing 50 pushups and maybe some pullups, you probably aren't going to notice any body composition changes.  You're going to need to put in more than 10 minutes in a workout to see any body changes.  There is a reason it's called working out - it requires work.

17 minutes ago, purbeast said:

You're not going to see any visible gains doing 50 pushups.  Sure it's better than nothing, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not doing much.

You are working on chest and triceps doing pushups.  You will also be using your core as long as you are doing them properly and keeping your body straight.

To be blunt and honest, if you are just doing 50 pushups and maybe some pullups, you probably aren't going to notice any body composition changes.  You're going to need to put in more than 10 minutes in a workout to see any body changes.  There is a reason it's called working out - it requires work.

Makes sense. Well see how much it changes over the next month or two. Right now I'm just trying to add things to my workout so it's not all cardio everyday. The push ups and sit ups are cool cause I can do them anywhere and work out. I got to 60 last night. Maybe I'll be doing sets of 25 soon. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Makes sense. Well see how much it changes over the next month or two. Right now I'm just trying to add things to my workout so it's not all cardio everyday. The push ups and sit ups are cool cause I can do them anywhere and work out. I got to 60 last night. Maybe I'll be doing sets of 25 soon. 

I don't know if you have stated it, but what are you goals from working out?

Shakur Stevenson did not make weight for his fight tonight (weighed yesterday) so lost both his 130 belts. Very interesting situation because I myself am going through a dietary regimen to lose weight by caloric cutting. I wonder how much you can lose before your body says "You can't lose any more weight" (cutting from 150 to 145)

• 1 month later...