Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

On 7/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, Chew said:

So, I'd heard about body dysmorphia, but never knew it would hit me so hard. 6'2 240, I've always been a big dude.  I'm low-key getting pretty swole...but without a pump, I feel and look small to myself in the mirror.   It's really weird.  Been lifting heavy 6 days a week for about a year now.  Creatine & 160g of protein daily, lots of water and sleep.  

Anywho.  We've had our Tonal for about 2 1/2 months now, and I can't say enough about it.  ****ing amazing piece of equipment.  My wife uses it for all of her weight training.  I still like doing dumbbell workouts, but I use the Tonal for maybe 15 exercises six days a week (you can do over 100).  

It does everything.  Tracks progress and PRs, it measures your power with each rep, suggests when you're ready for more weight or need to lower the weight, corrects your form, all in real time.  Videos for each exercise to make sure your form is right.  It tracks your total weight for each rep, set, and total workout.  I just hit 200,000 lbs total 🏋️

It has radio stations, syncs with your phone (app) and you can track your progress.  You can setup your own custom workouts or follow one of the dozens of preloaded workouts they have.  You can select which muscle group you wanna use and all the exercises will pop up.  

One thing that's kinda wonky, the electric magnetic weights.  It's SO MUCH heavier than real plates.  Example - I can bench 225 for sets.  But with the Tonal, I can barely do 1 rep of 200.  Wild.  

This thing is worth every god damn penny, I'll never need a gym membership again.  

1.61 MB · 0 downloads

Excuse the mess, we're turning our basement bedroom into a full gym.  

IMG_20210525_194649.jpg.7ba1a6dd12e639b464e13dc85f293b93.jpgIMG_20210525_204600.thumb.jpg.eb1fecf0cd4d85338fb77c8ae08527ac.jpg

IMG_20210525_203047.thumb.jpg.e5247554b43f8de56acb192bed7632f7.jpg

im looking into getting one of these since I hate leaving for the gym at night with the baby here now. Are you still using it and are you still happy with it? Any other thoughts/feedback after all this time? How has it held up to wear and tear 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2022 at 7:38 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

im looking into getting one of these since I hate leaving for the gym at night with the baby here now. Are you still using it and are you still happy with it? Any other thoughts/feedback after all this time? How has it held up to wear and tear 

Brody. I don't even know where to begin.  I stopped posting on most of the forums and regular chat groups I'm in/on when it comes to weightlifting, because I feared I was becoming that annoying "fitness is my personality" dude :806:.  

Tonal has been an absolute game changer for my life. I still use it five days a week M-F. Having an entire gym in the basement has by far been the #1 benefit.    

It tracks every rep, the amount of force you have with each rep, compares your force to the last workout, how this current rep compares to your overall previous lifts, your PRs, etc.  It tracks everything. And you'll get addicted to the chime it plays when you've completed a PR in either a one-rep max or total weight lifted for a particular exercise.  

The machine itself has held up just fine, no issues whatsoever.  Have to change the batteries in the barbell/dumbbell handles maybe once a year, that's it.  

You can sync your app with specific Tonal users or compete with tens of thousands of other people.  They have live workouts you can do in the mornings and evenings with Tonal trainers in their NYC studio.  And again, the app tracks everything you can possibly think of.  

there was an update just last week where you can record yourself doing any of the 200+ Tonal weightlifting exercises and an NASM/CPT will critique your form.  

To say I highly recommend the Tonal would be an understatement.  You'll never need to go to the gym again.  

And forgive me for tooting my own snoot, but I've been putting in the work over the last 18 months and Tonal told me I'm getting results.  I'm trying to get Doc big 😎

IMG_20221126_130642.jpg.2a1c774343ffd1dfd0da0509a4170b70.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 9:38 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:
On 7/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, Chew said:

im looking into getting one of these since I hate leaving for the gym at night with the baby here now

Everyone I know with one loves it

wish I’d gone that route instead of assembling a free weight setup but can’t justify it now 😕 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 9:38 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

just get a total gym. I imagine it’s not as good as a tonal, depending on what you are trying to accomplish, but it’s a lot less expensive and portable. Plus it’s Chuck Norris approved. 

3 hours ago, Chew said:

Brody. I don't even know where to begin.  I stopped posting on most of the forums and regular chat groups I'm in/on when it comes to weightlifting, because I feared I was becoming that annoying "fitness is my personality" dude :806:.  

Tonal has been an absolute game changer for my life. I still use it five days a week M-F. Having an entire gym in the basement has by far been the #1 benefit.    

It tracks every rep, the amount of force you have with each rep, compares your force to the last workout, how this current rep compares to your overall previous lifts, your PRs, etc.  It tracks everything. And you'll get addicted to the chime it plays when you've completed a PR in either a one-rep max or total weight lifted for a particular exercise.  

The machine itself has held up just fine, no issues whatsoever.  Have to change the batteries in the barbell/dumbbell handles maybe once a year, that's it.  

You can sync your app with specific Tonal users or compete with tens of thousands of other people.  They have live workouts you can do in the mornings and evenings with Tonal trainers in their NYC studio.  And again, the app tracks everything you can possibly think of.  

there was an update just last week where you can record yourself doing any of the 200+ Tonal weightlifting exercises and an NASM/CPT will critique your form.  

To say I highly recommend the Tonal would be an understatement.  You'll never need to go to the gym again.  

And forgive me for tooting my own snoot, but I've been putting in the work over the last 18 months and Tonal told me I'm getting results.  I'm trying to get Doc big 😎

IMG_20221126_130642.jpg.2a1c774343ffd1dfd0da0509a4170b70.jpg

thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Will likely pull the trigger soon 

3 hours ago, tshile said:

wish I’d gone that route instead of assembling a free weight setup but can’t justify it now 😕 

My downstairs is pretty much a second living room with some bedrooms already in use. I just don’t have the space for free weights etc. that’s one of Tonal’s big appeals for me that it doesn’t take up space (accessories can go in the closet) and looks good in the room folded up. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

just get a total gym. I imagine it’s not as good as a tonal, depending on what you are trying to accomplish, but it’s a lot less expensive and portable. Plus it’s Chuck Norris approved. 

I once had a Weider version of the total gym. I liked it but never felt like I got a great pump or really pushed myself plus it was limited in the amount of exercises and ways you can target muscle groups 

image.gif.9b165c2fa0aa8beab80bbd78a2d2a873.gif

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I once had a Weider version of the total gym. I liked it but never felt like I got a great pump or really pushed myself plus it was limited in the amount of exercises and ways you can target muscle groups 

My fitness goals are changing as I’m getting older so it’s a good change of pace for me when not using free weights. It also eliminates all excuses. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Your gut bacteria may influence how motivated you are to exercise

Motivation to exercise may come from the gut in addition to the brain. A study in mice finds that certain gut bacteria can increase the release of dopamine during physical activity, which helps drive motivation.

Though most of us know that exercise comes with many benefits, how much people exercise varies widely, says Christoph Thaiss at the University of Pennsylvania. He and his colleagues wanted to identify physiological factors that may explain this variation.

They collected data from 106 mice...

Click on the link for the full article

After the first of the year on SS day, I'm going to join my local YMCA and get some exercise. They have senior aquatic programs plus some that combine yoga, pilates and tai chi. My women cousins in PA go and recommended that I might like it. The Y is only a couple of miles away and I can afford the monthly dues with the COLA increase. Looking forward to it!

• Thumb up 1

On 11/26/2022 at 4:46 PM, tshile said:

No way dude you will not come close to getting the same workout with resistance as you do with free weights.  It's night and day difference.  

Although, it does also depend on your own personal goals.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tshile said:

I had 10 weeks of working out minimum 3 times a week. 

this week I dropped the ball. Also managed to not take any of my supplements or protein shakes. 

total ****ing failure. 

If every 3 months you took a week off…. that’s an impressive ratio. Unless you’re training for the Olympics… then you’re screwed.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wound up taking two weeks off unintentionally. But hit it this morning. Was glad to see I didn’t regress anywhere including bench where I actually improved. which is hard for me - never been good at benches or squats and focusing on them this time around.

So last 13 weeks of the year I’ll have worked out 11 of them. Which was the point - I didn’t want to wait until new years as a resolution, as I’ve done and seen how others do before and it’s a running joke. They were talking about how the gym will suck for 3 weeks on the news this morning

instead I enter the new year with a routine in place. I’ll turn 38 in February. The goal is to be able to say I feel the best and am in the best shape of my life by 40. 

decline flies are a ****. 

any suggestions for abs? After 10 weeks of doing ab bikes, alternative heal touches and crunches im not getting **** out of these anymore. I don’t really want to do 4 sets of 50 just to get something out of it. 

the only thing I have in mind, which is just from previous workout runs specifically our high school strength coach when k wrested, was sit-ups on decline bench with a plate on your chest. But I do 3 workouts a week and do abs with each so I need some other ideas…

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tshile said:

Wound up taking two weeks off unintentionally. But hit it this morning. Was glad to see I didn’t regress anywhere including bench where I actually improved. which is hard for me - never been good at benches or squats and focusing on them this time around.

So last 13 weeks of the year I’ll have worked out 11 of them. Which was the point - I didn’t want to wait until new years as a resolution, as I’ve done and seen how others do before and it’s a running joke. They were talking about how the gym will suck for 3 weeks on the news this morning

instead I enter the new year with a routine in place. I’ll turn 38 in February. The goal is to be able to say I feel the best and am in the best shape of my life by 40. 

decline flies are a ****. 

any suggestions for abs? After 10 weeks of doing ab bikes, alternative heal touches and crunches im not getting **** out of these anymore. I don’t really want to do 4 sets of 50 just to get something out of it. 

the only thing I have in mind, which is just from previous workout runs specifically our high school strength coach when k wrested, was sit-ups on decline bench with a plate on your chest. But I do 3 workouts a week and do abs with each so I need some other ideas…

Are you trying to get a six-pack or just functional core strength? 

I have always found that taking a week off once in a while increased my overall strength and gains. I say this as someone not trying to get big. I haven't benched heavy at all recently. Might, for the new year, work to get it back just for fun. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Ab wheel

Yup.  My wife got me one a few months ago and it burns so good.  I don't really do abs at all (other than them being worked during compound movements), but I use the wheel once a week for a few mins and it kills me. 

7 hours ago, Hersh said:

I have always found that taking a week off once in a while increased my overall strength and gains. 

Completely agree!  I lift for six weeks straight and then take a week off.  I always feel super human on that first week back, moving weight pretty easily.  Muscles are nice and rested.  

The road to four plates continues.  I hit 390 last week at my friends gym and hope to get 405 by my birthday in April.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

Are you trying to get a six-pack or just functional core strength? 

I have always found that taking a week off once in a while increased my overall strength and gains. I say this as someone not trying to get big. I haven't benched heavy at all recently. Might, for the new year, work to get it back just for fun. 

I agree with this tho I don’t know if it’s scientific or just in my head. I think going to the gym constantly is great but just randomly take off 2-3 days in a row. You will see the results as your muscles have time to

recover. I always feel like I look better and can lift better following a short mini break or reset 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Abs are made in the kitchen.  If you have a solid core and it's strong, you probably have a six pack.  

Now seeing it on the other hand....

That is all done in the kitchen.

EDIT:

Also, why do you do your abs 3x a week but not the rest of your body?  And why do you do sets of like 50 for abs but not other muscle groups?

Edited by purbeast

19 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Abs are made in the kitchen.  If you have a solid core and it's strong, you probably have a six pack.  

Now seeing it on the other hand....

That is all done in the kitchen.

yeah and cardio. Which is why I said I’m not really gunning for “6 pack” right now cause I’m not putting that effort in yet. But eventually. 

19 minutes ago, purbeast said:

EDIT:

Also, why do you do your abs 3x a week but not the rest of your body?  And why do you do sets of like 50 for abs but not other muscle groups?

nah I hit my abs every workout - ie im working whatever group that day.  I tend to work out 3 days in a row so, different groups each day. 

sets are usually 12-15ish but I breeze through them. My point was I didn’t want to get to the point where I had to do 50. 

the ab wheel and doing some stuff with the bench will suffice for now. 

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

yeah and cardio. Which is why I said I’m not really gunning for “6 pack” right now cause I’m not putting that effort in yet. But eventually. 

nah I hit my abs every workout - ie im working whatever group that day.  I tend to work out 3 days in a row so, different groups each day. 

sets are usually 12-15ish but I breeze through them. My point was I didn’t want to get to the point where I had to do 50. 

the ab wheel and doing some stuff with the bench will suffice for now. 

Why do you do abs every workout but not every muscle every workout?  Why do you treat them different than any other muscle?

3 hours ago, Chew said:

The road to four plates continues.  I hit 390 last week at my friends gym and hope to get 405 by my birthday in April.

Y’all power lifters are in a different universe.  Good friend of mine lifts like that and he is also 11 years younger. 

You doing competitions?