Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

Anyone else become a gym rat during quarantine? I've been pretty into fitness the last 5 years or so, but now I'm addicted to weight training.

I started lifting hard back in May, and I've become obsessed with it, which I've read is common for beginners.  I lift six days a week and I'm depressed on my off day 🤣.  

After my lift sessions I usually do a 10-minute HIIT workout to burn a few hundo calories.  

I drink daily protein powder shakes, take creatine pills, eat a ton of tofu, quinoa, chickpeas, beans.  My instagram & tiktok feeds are nothing but gym bros getting sick pumps and tight fitness chicks doing squats.  

I'm trying to get quads like @Dr. Do Itch Big, he was born in the weight room the way Bane was born in the darkness.  

where the ES gym bros and sisters at?  I know there's some around.  Looking for any tips & tricks to maximize them gains 

• Haha 2

I added goblet squats with a 50lb kettlebell to my routine years ago because of one of @Dr. Do Itch Big posts in the old thread. Thx Doc!

Other than that basic free weight bench stuff, treadmill, stationary bike, n a strike bag in a room I setup almost a decade ago. 🤗

I'm still the fat tho. 😆 I may be a hippie but I'm not going full kale quinoa crazy. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Chew said:

Anyone else become a gym rat during quarantine? I've been pretty into fitness the last 5 years or so, but now I'm addicted to weight training.

I started lifting hard back in May, and I've become obsessed with it, which I've read is common for beginners.  I lift six days a week and I'm depressed on my off day 🤣.  

After my lift sessions I usually do a 10-minute HIIT workout to burn a few hundo calories.  

I drink daily protein powder shakes, take creatine pills, eat a ton of tofu, quinoa, chickpeas, beans.  My instagram & tiktok feeds are nothing but gym bros getting sick pumps and tight fitness chicks doing squats.  

I'm trying to get quads like @Dr. Do Itch Big, he was born in the weight room the way Bane was born in the darkness.  

where the ES gym bros and sisters at?  I know there's some around.  Looking for any tips & tricks to maximize them gains 

I used to lift 6 days a week for years, and when I talked to someone who had been lifting longer than me and knew a lot more than me, they told me I was training too much.

I listened to him and started just doing each muscle group once a week instead of 2x a week and my gains were much greater than they were lifting 6x a week.

That was about 18 years ago and to this day I still am just doing each muscle group once a week and go 4x a week.  Back when I was lifting 6x a week I weighed like 165lbs.  Now I linger around 200-210 depending where I'm at with deciding if I want to be lean or not.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I lift around 5-6 times a week. 

a typical workout routine

monday- squat, flat bench close, split squat or some variation that’s like a lunge

tuesday - regular flat bench, front squat or some variation, press either dumbbell or barbell

wednesday. Some rows and run for like 20 mins or so. Add arms 

Thursday- touch n go bench, deadlift, barbell row

friday- press, Romanian dead, db bench 

I also sprinkle arm work when I can and pull downs and back work when I can but with a busy life style I focus on MT ThF. Saturdays and Sundays I do some arm work if I’m not busy. I try to run Sundays. 

I lift by rpe not exact percentages. And I think it helps making a big difference in not burning yourself out. 

The program I follow is by a set of doctors who do a lot of barbell training. I really trust their stuff and they have volumes of articles and videos on why they do the stuff they do. All evidence based on clinical research. They always link to the articles and stuff so it’s all there. You don’t have to take their word for it. When I first started training their way I made huge strides after being stuck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really should not be posting in this thread because I've been an out of shape lazy **** for too long but I use to work out pretty regularly and was a fairly strong 245lbs at one point.

Anyways. I switched to micellar casein as my only protein powder I use now. Muscle Feast has a great one btw. I highly recommend trying it out and use that over whey. Hydrolyzed casein is perhaps even better. Really feel the difference.

I used to go the gym every day.

The members at my gym are pigs.   Dudes walking out of stalls, past the sinks, and straight to the weights.   My wife says she sees stuff in the women's locker room that's really foul.   I don't trust them. 

I tried to go back, after they re-opened and too many transgressions for me.  Our house is small, but with those surgical tubing cables, pushup handles, isometrics, jump squats, dips and various exercises using stuff around the house, (buckets, chairs, etc), I'm getting great resistance training.  We live near a high-school, so I get my cardio in at the track, and the stadium steps.  I'll be 57 in a few days, so I had backed off lifting heavy anyway.   

If I was younger, I'd be back in the gym, because there is no substitute for free weights, (IMHO), and some of the machines.  

That being said.... Weight last March, (when this **** started)?  191lbs     Weight today? 192lbs     About 4 years ago, or so, I got serious about my diet anyway, and lost almost 40lbs and have kept it off, so I must be doing something right.

• Like 3

Tried front squats today for the very first time ever and holy **** they are very strange feeling.  Had to go very light and it definitely works your quads more than normal squats, as well as your glutes less than normal squats.  

My right shoulder has been bothering me for months now and normal squats aggravate it big time just putting it in the position to hold the bar so I'm trying to stop them for a while.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

In the midst of a major (attempted) body transformation at 41 after letting myself get into the worst shape of my life.

keto diet

walking 5 miles+ every day. Some times I’ll try to add some jogging in but have knee injury which is usually prohibitive. Will walk with an incline a lot.

Lifting

DAY 1 (legs)

Quad extension x4

Hamstring curls x 4

Calves x4

DAY 2 (chest)

Bench x3

Barbell incline x2

Dumbbell flys x2

DAY 3 (back)

Lat pull down x3

Bent over barbell row x3

DAY 4 (shoulders)

Military press x3

Lateral raise x2

Rear delts x2

Barbell shrug x3

DAY 5 (triceps)

Parallel dips x3

Cable tricep extension x3

DAY 6 (biceps)

Barbell curl x3

Close-grip preacher curl x3

DAY 7 (rest)

• Like 3

Any of you guys built a lifting platform before? I have a cheapo power rack and I'm looking to upgrade to a decent Rogue one and I'm trying to decide which way to go. I was thinking of getting the RML-390F that doesn't have to be bolted down, as I have mats in my garage. Another option would be to get a regular one that bolts down and then build a platform and bolt it to that (I don't really want to bolt down into the cement of my garage). Doesn't look too hard, but wondering if anyone here has experience.

@Sacks 'n' Stuffwow you're really going all out there. Are you sure you need to start out with a 6 day split? I'd be worried that you're perhaps trying to go a bit too far at first. I've done that in the past when I've been really out of shape and IME it can backfire when it comes to staying consistent because it's so much at once. You could probably get the same effects from a pretty standard 3 day per week Starting Strength type linear progression plan.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, mistertim said:

@Sacks 'n' Stuffwow you're really going all out there. Are you sure you need to start out with a 6 day split? I'd be worried that you're perhaps trying to go a bit too far at first. I've done that in the past when I've been really out of shape and IME it can backfire when it comes to staying consistent because it's so much at once. You could probably get the same effects from a pretty standard 3 day per week Starting Strength type linear progression plan.

I hear you. I’m two months in and have been building up to this.

Goal number one… don’t injure myself.

Goal number two… don’t overdo it to the point where I don’t want to get up and workout again tomorrow 

I should also add that I was diagnosed with low T and have been getting testosterone injections twice weekly which helps with the recovery / injury prevention. Also really helps with the motivation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Any of you guys built a lifting platform before? I have a cheapo power rack and I'm looking to upgrade to a decent Rogue one and I'm trying to decide which way to go. I was thinking of getting the RML-390F that doesn't have to be bolted down, as I have mats in my garage. Another option would be to get a regular one that bolts down and then build a platform and bolt it to that (I don't really want to bolt down into the cement of my garage). Doesn't look too hard, but wondering if anyone here has experience.

What would be the need to bolt any of it down? Also, are you looking for a cage? I have this: https://www.roguefitness.com/sml-2-rogue-90-monster-lite-squat-stand

Only thing it's not really good for are the TRX bands at any angle away from the rack. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I have a wall mounted Rogue rack.  Bolts to the wall, not the floor.  I posted pictures in this thread awhile back.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hersh said:

What would be the need to bolt any of it down? Also, are you looking for a cage? I have this: https://www.roguefitness.com/sml-2-rogue-90-monster-lite-squat-stand

Only thing it's not really good for are the TRX bands at any angle away from the rack. 

Mostly for stability, though well designed ones with flat feet should be ok as well. Yeah I'm mainly looking for a cage since I feel like it gives me some extra features and protection vs a rack (I lift alone so I put a premium on that since I mostly do relatively heavy lifts and add weight most days). I have a cage currently and I like the protection I feel, but it's kind of a cheap one and I want something of better quality.

Currently I'm thinking of one of these guys:

https://www.roguefitness.com/rml-390f-flat-foot-monster-lite-rack  (no bolting)

https://www.roguefitness.com/rm-3-bolt-together-monster-rack-2-0  (if bolting)

I'm considering a platform for protection of the weights and my floor, especially when doing deadlifts, rows or Olympic lifts (not often but occasionally), and it would also be somewhere to bolt the rack to.

Seems pretty straightforward, just depends on how much time and effort I want to invest I suppose.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-build-a-weight-lifting-platform/

Edited by mistertim

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

In the midst of a major (attempted) body transformation at 41 after letting myself get into the worst shape of my life.

keto diet

walking 5 miles+ every day. Some times I’ll try to add some jogging in but have knee injury which is usually prohibitive. Will walk with an incline a lot.

Lifting

DAY 1 (legs)

Quad extension x4

Hamstring curls x 4

Calves x4

DAY 2 (chest)

Bench x3

Barbell incline x2

Dumbbell flys x2

DAY 3 (back)

Lat pull down x3

Bent over barbell row x3

DAY 4 (shoulders)

Military press x3

Lateral raise x2

Rear delts x2

Barbell shrug x3

DAY 5 (triceps)

Parallel dips x3

Cable tricep extension x3

DAY 6 (biceps)

Barbell curl x3

Close-grip preacher curl x3

DAY 7 (rest)

I'd just state that your leg day is pretty much pointless if you aren't doing squats.  Scrap the quad extension and hamstring curls and replace them with 4 working sets of squats.  It's much better for you than those 2 exercises combined.  Also not sure what "calves" means but I'm assuming some sort of calf raise.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'd just state that your leg day is pretty much pointless if you aren't doing squats.  Scrap the quad extension and hamstring curls and replace them with 4 working sets of squats.  It's much better for you than those 2 exercises combined.  Also not sure what "calves" means but I'm assuming some sort of calf raise.

Calf raise, correct. I usually use a leg press machine for it but if somebody is on it, I’ll get on something else.

Squats… I don’t know if those are going to be making an appearance in my routine ever again. Maybe I could do like light wall squats holding a medicine ball with a stability ball placed behind me. Not sure the knee or back can handle barbell squats at this stage.