Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

I'll be 60 in March and I'm still at it.  My routine is the same.  On days that I work, I exercise. 

Years ago I had some GI issues and, as a result, I changed my eating habits, but not my workouts. 

As a completely unintended consequence, I lost ~45lbs and I've kept it off.

Doc took me off blood pressure medicine and numbers have been good for years.

I'm a firm believer that you cannot out-exercise your diet.    If you ate it, you wear it.

2 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

I'm down 5 pounds from the beginning of January so I'll take it. I took my foot off the gas this weekend but this coming week it's back to work. 

I haven't mixed in the workout piece yet, just eating much healthier. 

@Sacks 'n' Stuff I just turned 39, anything you feel has particularly helped for you?

A good diet is the most critical thing for losing weight and staying healthy.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've started biking regularly since I was able to attack the source of debilitating tailbone pain. I can do about 20 minutes now and am working my way up to 30.

That said, I'm very surprised I'm not losing any weight and in fact have gained weight. I know I have an addiction to fast food which I should probably wean out of my diet, but even when I was barely eating anything I didn't notice any change really.

I have asked this before, but how do you get rid of belly fat? It just won't go away, and I'm exercising every day now on the bike 😆

• Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I've started biking regularly since I was able to attack the source of debilitating tailbone pain. I can do about 20 minutes now and am working my way up to 30.

That said, I'm very surprised I'm not losing any weight and in fact have gained weight. I know I have an addiction to fast food which I should probably wean out of my diet, but even when I was barely eating anything I didn't notice any change really.

I have asked this before, but how do you get rid of belly fat? It just won't go away, and I'm exercising every day now on the bike 😆

Yeah, your fast food addiction is killing you.  

The weight you've gained might be some muscle.  Especially if you're biking, you can add muscle to your legs quicker than you think.

I've lost weight before two ways.  First, was Keto....and I did a version called dirty Keto where I just ate everything in sight as long as it was protein.  Didn't matter where it came from, so if I was out and about, I'd hit a drive thru and get a burger and toss the bun.  I also worked out pretty hard.

The other way and the more sustainable way is to track your macros.  Carbs, fats and protein.  Look up how to create a diet based on macros for yourself and you'll see the weight come off.

• Thumb up 1

Bro says he's addicted to fast food and wonders why he can't lose weight lol.

You also can't target where you lose your body fat.  You can't control it.  The 3 areas in men that typically store the most body fat are your belly, your lower back, and under your pecs.

Not trying to be a debby downer or anything, but riding a bike for 20 minutes, especially depending on the intensity, isn't going to be somethign that is going to have you dropping pounds especially if you aren't changing your diet.  And i know you say you are working back from an injury so just go as slow as you need to in order to build it back up. 

If you want to lose weight, then change your diet.  80% or more of losing weight is in the kitchen.  The rest is in exercising.  You can lose weight easily without even doing any cardio.  That is how I typically lose weight when I lean up.

Right now though I am trying to lean up and keep my muscle/strength loss as minimal as possible so I've started doing LISS 2-3 times a week on my off days from lifting.  So far over 3 weeks I've lost 4-5 pounds which is the rate I'm looking to go at.  I am trying to sustain about 1.5 - 2 pounds a week so this is right on par with that rate.  

I also cleaned up my diet a bit and basically cut out all the junk food that I was eating before, which wasn't too much, but it was some.  I was also dirty bulking before and would eat whatever I wanted.  I do let loose a bit on the weekends and am not as strict but during the week I am pretty strict.  

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I need some help. I'm 49 now and probably 40 or so over my ideal weight right now. And my arthritis in my lower back is killing me. Some of it is easily weight related,  some of it is stupidity as a kid related. That said, I've never done many core strengthening exercises, which I suspect would help. 

Any tips for a beginner to do at home? Planks I know..any other must dos?

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

So I need some help. I'm 49 now and probably 40 or so over my ideal weight right now. And my arthritis in my lower back is killing me. Some of it is easily weight related,  some of it is stupidity as a kid related. That said, I've never done many core strengthening exercises, which I suspect would help. 

Any tips for a beginner to do at home? Planks I know..any other must dos?

I wouldn't even bother with planks they are a waste of time when there are better exercises,

Just start with normal crunches and then leg lifts as well.  That is a decent start for your front core.  

I'd recommend just walking for like 30 minutes a day if you can to.  You work your core just walking around.  And it sounds like you want to lose weight so that would help with that as well.

If you are looking to lose weight though, that's mainly done in the kitchen.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 3 weeks later...

What is "oatzempic"? Experts weigh in on weight loss drink trend https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oat-ozempic-oatzempic-drink-weight-loss-experts/

Another weight loss trend is making its rounds on social media — this time in the form of a drink called "oatzempic." The name combines a reference to oats, one of the drink's ingredients, with a play on Ozempic, the diabetes drug that's become popular for weight loss — even though there's no prescription medication involved.

Some TikTok users claim the drink — made with oats, water and lime juice — can help someone lose up to 40 pounds in as little as 2 months. 

• Haha 1

Losing 40 pounds in 2 months is not healthy AT ALL unless you are a patient on the "My 600lb Life" show.

There has been a tried and true way to lose weight that has worked for centuries, yet lazy fat ****s are still looking for short cuts to lose weight because they are lazy and have zero discipline and want to lose weight without making any lifestyle changes.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

the best way is just diet. I was restricted to soft foods and then later cold foods so I was eating apple sauce and mashed potatoes for meals and I went down to 163 from 170. 

hoping my progress continues because if I go down to 160 that'd be big. then 155  !!! 

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

the best way is just diet. I was restricted to soft foods and then later cold foods so I was eating apple sauce and mashed potatoes for meals and I went down to 163 from 170. 

hoping my progress continues because if I go down to 160 that'd be big. then 155  !!! 

You didn't go down 7 pounds because you were restricted to soft foods and then later cold foods.

You lost 7 pounds because you are eating overall less calories than you were prior to losing weight.

It's the same thing with intermittent fasting.  People think it's some special thing because they are eating only during a period of 6 hours a day instead of over the whole day when they are awake.  It really has nothing to do with that. It's just that you are eating less in those 6 hours than you would over the whole day of being awake.

Again, this is not ****ing rocket science.  It's a tried and true formula that has been the same for centuries.

And "diet" isn't a special thing you do.  All "diet" means is what you are currently eating.  

The problem with a lot of Americans is that they think "diet" is a temporary thing you do just to lose weight and then go back to eating like you were before.  Sure you can do that, but you will also put on the weight like before.  Having a consistent healthy diet is a lifestyle change basically and it's not temporary.  And splurging every now and then is okay too.

EDIT:

I am down from 217lbs to 207lbs as of this morning since trying to cut up in early/mid February.  All I did was basically cut out the random junk foods and eating out that I was eating when I was trying to bulk up.  I still basically eat the same thing for dinner but maybe not quite as much rice as before.  Basically every dinner for me is some sort of protein and some rice right now.  I've lost 10lbs but have not lost any of my size and strength.

Edited by purbeast
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, purbeast said:

You didn't go down 7 pounds because you were restricted to soft foods and then later cold foods.

You lost 7 pounds because you are eating overall less calories than you were prior to losing weight.

It's the same thing with intermittent fasting.  People think it's some special thing because they are eating only during a period of 6 hours a day instead of over the whole day when they are awake.  It really has nothing to do with that. It's just that you are eating less in those 6 hours than you would over the whole day of being awake.

Again, this is not ****ing rocket science.  It's a tried and true formula that has been the same for centuries.

And "diet" isn't a special thing you do.  All "diet" means is what you are currently eating.  

The problem with a lot of Americans is that they think "diet" is a temporary thing you do just to lose weight and then go back to eating like you were before.  Sure you can do that, but you will also put on the weight like before.  Having a consistent healthy diet is a lifestyle change basically and it's not temporary.  And splurging every now and then is okay too.

lot of paragraphs just to say that's the goal 🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, purbeast said:

Losing 40 pounds in 2 months is not healthy AT ALL unless you are a patient on the "My 600lb Life" show.

There has been a tried and true way to lose weight that has worked for centuries, yet lazy fat ****s are still looking for short cuts to lose weight because they are lazy and have zero discipline and want to lose weight without making any lifestyle changes.

Hey that’s mean. 

a lot of people who try to lose weight and can’t isn’t because they are lazy. 

Theres a stigma against weight loss medication and there shouldn’t be. 

13 hours ago, purbeast said:

EDIT:

I am down from 217lbs to 207lbs as of this morning since trying to cut up in early/mid February.  All I did was basically cut out the random junk foods and eating out that I was eating when I was trying to bulk up.  I still basically eat the same thing for dinner but maybe not quite as much rice as before.  Basically every dinner for me is some sort of protein and some rice right now.  I've lost 10lbs but have not lost any of my size and strength.

You are spot-on with the lifestyle change.

I've never understood why people overcomplicate weight loss.  

Either you commit to eating sensibly & exercising, or you don't. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Hey that’s mean. 

a lot of people who try to lose weight and can’t isn’t because they are lazy. 

Theres a stigma against weight loss medication and there shouldn’t be. 

I never said everyone who can't lose weight is fat and lazy.  But a lot of the people are.  The people who can't lose weight by the obvious "traditional" ways due to medical conditions is a negligible percentage of the population.

And let's be real the majority of people who are using a "weight loss medication" isn't something who is slightly overweight trying to lose 10-20 lbs or people who are coming into a workout thread trying to cut up.  They are going to be people who are morbidly obese trying to lose weight because they are basically dying at their current lifestyle.  And regardless if they take the pills or whatever, if they don't solve the underlying issue as to why they are as huge are they are, those pills aren't going to help for jack ****.  Sure maybe they lose some temporary weight, but unless their lifestyle changes, they aren't keeping the weight off.

Hell even if you read about these medications, you will see they mostly all say "best results are when taken with diet and exercise program" and gee, I wonder why that is...

Edited by purbeast

1 minute ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You are spot-on with the lifestyle change.

I've never understood why people overcomplicate weight loss.  

Either you commit to eating sensibly & exercising, or you don't. 

It's because as I said people are naturally lazy and want the quick easy fix for everything.  They want results with the least amount of effort needed. 

Look at all these "6 minute abs" bull**** things that are on the market now.  You can tell none of those things are actually solutions either.  You know why?  Because if they were, you would see gyms littered with these devices if they were actually useful.  But you don't.  You see gyms full of racks, benches, free weights and machines full of weights.

And people buy into marketing big time with all of this crap.  Just look at how many supplements are out there now.  Think about how many "fitness influencers" are out there now. Social Media definitely has NOT helped at all in regards to body image, especially with all of these people claiming to be natural when they are so obviously taking PEDs.  You also have them making videos of doing such sub-optimal workouts just because they look cool.  But then you have Joe Shmoe who has never worked out a day in his life who wants to get into shape, watching some reelz from these people and then starts trying to do what that person does and doesn't see any results.  That's not going to be good for the mental health of that person.

I agree the IG influencer thing is overblown completely there are memes of how to eat in 2024 and it's just someone avoiding food because some influencer said beer is bad, you shouldn't eat this or that 

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

I agree the IG influencer thing is overblown completely there are memes of how to eat in 2024 and it's just someone avoiding food because some influencer said beer is bad, you shouldn't eat this or that 

Well if you are trying to lose weight, beer is "bad" for you in that sense.  It's going to make losing weight harder and slower than it would be if you quit drinking it.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Hey all, interested in your opinions on creatine for building muscle. Pros/cons, side effects to look out for, etc. 

I’ve been what is often described as “skinny fat” for most of my adult life, where it doesn’t really matter how much weight I lose, I still don’t have enough muscle to achieve the look I’m going for (literally got down to 158lb at 5’8” last year, and while I was thin I wasn’t happy with how I looked).

Sitting at 170 now and going through an attempt at body recomp, and early returns at drastically increasing my protein intake* have yielded some positive results. Worth staying on this path for awhile or should I consider adding creatine? 

*diet consists of two meals a day, one being a 500-600 cal protein shake with 72g of whey. Plus whatever is in my dinner. I’m not sure how I push myself much higher than that while maintaining a small calorie deficit 

11 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

Hey all, interested in your opinions on creatine for building muscle. Pros/cons, side effects to look out for, etc. 

I’ve been what is often described as “skinny fat” for most of my adult life, where it doesn’t really matter how much weight I lose, I still don’t have enough muscle to achieve the look I’m going for (literally got down to 158lb at 5’8” last year, and while I was thin I wasn’t happy with how I looked).

Sitting at 170 now and going through an attempt at body recomp, and early returns at drastically increasing my protein intake* have yielded some positive results. Worth staying on this path for awhile or should I consider adding creatine? 

*diet consists of two meals a day, one being a 500-600 cal protein shake with 72g of whey. Plus whatever is in my dinner. I’m not sure how I push myself much higher than that while maintaining a small calorie deficit 

If you want to gain weight, you need to up calorie intake.  If you are in a calorie deficit, you aren't going to gain weight (mass).

If you want to lose weight, then you can stick to your calorie deficit but try to maximize your protein intake.

Based on what you are posting, you are not eating nearly enough food to try and put on any size, regardless of taking creatine or not.

And yes I realized that if you are starting out working out you can build muscle and get cut at the same time, but that won't last more than a couple months and you will benefit much more if you just start out doing it properly where you try to bulk first and then lean up after.