Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

8 hours ago, purbeast said:

Why do you do abs every workout but not every muscle every workout?  Why do you treat them different than any other muscle?

🤷‍♂️ 

just always the way I’ve done it. I was taught abs/core are stubborn and need attention every workout. And I don’t have time to do everything every workout. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

🤷‍♂️ 

just always the way I’ve done it. I was taught abs/core are stubborn and need attention every workout. And I don’t have time to do everything every workout. 

Yeah I was just curious because people think there is something special about abs and work them out differently, which isn't really true.  It's more a myth than anything.  Your abs are just a muscle like the rest of the ones in your body.

If you're working out properly and doing a pretty standard routing, your core IS getting worked out every time you workout, even when you aren't targeting it.

You're core is being worked out doing squats, deadlifts, shoulder presses, bench presses, pullups, standing curls, etc.

I've been doing my abs once a week for like a 15+ years and have never had any need to do them more than that.  I'm actually doing abs today before I do legs, which I also do once a week.  It's a pretty standard 6 exercise routine that I do with max reps of 15 per exercise. 

I don't walk around with a 6 pack year round, but I have a 6 (8) pack under my little layer of flab when I don't have a visible 6 pack.  I can feel it and it's clearly there, but I just like to eat and I also like to do bulk/cut cycles and I usually dirty bulk.  And now that my shoulder is feeling better and I can go heavy again on incline bench, I'm eating more so I can build muscle and get stronger.

It's also very clear though that I'm not the norm for a 41 year old as far as my build and workout habits, especially when I look around after dropping my son off at school every day lol.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 1 month later...

Woot almost gained back all the weight I lost over the holidays when I hit a wall and basically quit working out. Think I lifted 3 times between December 15th and mid January. 

Went from 175 to 186, fell back to 175, and now I’m at 183. 

trying to get in the 190-205 range.

and ****ing love this ab wheel. 🙏 @Dr. Do Itch Big crucial recommendation 👊 

does anyone have a rough idea of how to translate power squat numbers to atg squats? Like if X is solid for a person to power squat, what would that be for an atg squat. 

I only know power squat numbers for reference. But I’m doing atg squats. I have no idea how far behind I am or even where I’m going. I tried to look it up but it’s always like big heavy lifters bragging about how they can atg squat as much as power blah blah blah. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/1/2023 at 1:46 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Beginning rower (indoor) here with a cheap rower (ProForm from Costco that I got 1/2 off).

Any recs for free apps/videos (rowing) to use or watch while using it? 

Data already syncs to a free iFit membership but really don't want to pay for the videos. 😁

Still using it?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Chew said:

Just checking in with the homies, hopefully everyone is sticking to the grind through these winter months.  

Take your creatine :)

At 42 I am nearly as strong and as big as I was at my biggest when I was like late 20's.  I'm actually taking Celltech right now which is a creatine blend.

My bench isn't quite as high as it was back then, very close but not quite there, however my shoulders are stronger than they were back then.  My legs are a little bit strong now as well, and I'd say my back is too.  Triceps and biceps are about the same.

I'm at 217 right now and have started eating cleaner as of this week and will start doing a bit of LISS to try and lean up a bit.  I am hoping to not lose too much strength that a bit of strength loss always comes with weight loss for me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I’ll do another one in a couple months. I’ve been walking 10–15 miles a day. Getting there…

Wow, that's awesome.  You've gotta be burning 1,000+ calories a day LOL.  Are you trying to lose weight/cut or are you just a crazy person? Lol 

9 hours ago, purbeast said:

At 42 I am nearly as strong and as big as I was at my biggest when I was like late 20's.  I'm actually taking Celltech right now which is a creatine blend.

My bench isn't quite as high as it was back then, very close but not quite there, however my shoulders are stronger than they were back then.  My legs are a little bit strong now as well, and I'd say my back is too.  Triceps and biceps are about the same.

I'm at 217 right now and have started eating cleaner as of this week and will start doing a bit of LISS to try and lean up a bit.  I am hoping to not lose too much strength that a bit of strength loss always comes with weight loss for me.

Nice, my buddy takes that stuff too and loves it.  Nothing like watching your arms and chest grow in the mirror over time.  

I'm a big fan of LISS, that's how I dropped a bunch of weight years ago.  Are you close to your goal weight? 

I'm at a point where I don't really want to get any bigger, been lifting just to maintain now.  I'm stronger than Doc so I'm happy B)

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Chew said:

Wow, that's awesome.  You've gotta be burning 1,000+ calories a day LOL.  Are you trying to lose weight/cut or are you just a crazy person? Lol 

Nice, my buddy takes that stuff too and loves it.  Nothing like watching your arms and chest grow in the mirror over time.  

I'm a big fan of LISS, that's how I dropped a bunch of weight years ago.  Are you close to your goal weight? 

I'm at a point where I don't really want to get any bigger, been lifting just to maintain now.  I'm stronger than Doc so I'm happy B)

I don't really have a target weight I was trying to get to as far as gaining weight.  I generally fluctuate between 195-210 for the past decade, depending if I am trying to lean or bulk, but I've had chronic shoulder issues that have been better the past like 1/2 hear and that has allowed me to put more weight up.  Typically I'd start leaning up when I reaggrivated it and I couldn't lift heavy.  But now that I can lift heavy, it's so fun and feels so good to see these tiny gains each week.

I really want to try and get 100lb dumbells up for shoulder presses though.  Just once or twice.  I don't even think I could get them up to my shoulders though from my knees currently.  i tried 95 for the first time last week and got it up myself and then 3 reps myself, and help on the 4th.  I had tried 275lb on the bench with a spot before and got it 3x with a spot on the last, but this past week I tried it with no spot and got 2 easily which felt awesome.  And then right after that I hit up incline barbell and can rep out 225 on there which feels great too.  My squats are up to 375 4x which is the most I've ever done.  When I was yonger 365 was the most I could do.  So all of this strength feels fantastic while working out.

But now I definitely am the least lean I've been in a while, which I'm fine with as I said I was bulking, but I'm ready to try and lean up a bit now.  I wanna get to like 205 or so and see how I look at that point.  Right now is the first time in like a decade or more where I don't really see any abs in my belly and I can tell my belly is bigger than it used to be.  I've even had to move my belt notch over 2 slots if I wanna be comfortable.

This past week I've been eating pretty clean, and on weekends I usually eat a bit worse, but I'm going to try and watch it a bit this weekend.  I weigh myself once a week, Monday mornings before I brush my teeth, so that is how I tell if I lost or gained weight the past week.  If I didn't lose any weight, I'll change something.  If I lost like a pound or so, then I'll keep doing what I'm doing.  Once I add in LISS 2-3 times a week, that will help a bit too.  I'm going to do it tomorrow for like 20 minutes to start.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chew said:

I’m a cardio bunny now

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chew said:

Thanks man. I’m trying to be the leanest I’ve ever been in my life. I’m going to try to do two more months of this.

• Thumb up 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:59 PM, purbeast said:

I don't really have a target weight I was trying to get to as far as gaining weight.  I generally fluctuate between 195-210 for the past decade, depending if I am trying to lean or bulk, but I've had chronic shoulder issues that have been better the past like 1/2 hear and that has allowed me to put more weight up.  Typically I'd start leaning up when I reaggrivated it and I couldn't lift heavy.  But now that I can lift heavy, it's so fun and feels so good to see these tiny gains each week.

I really want to try and get 100lb dumbells up for shoulder presses though.  Just once or twice.  I don't even think I could get them up to my shoulders though from my knees currently.  i tried 95 for the first time last week and got it up myself and then 3 reps myself, and help on the 4th.  I had tried 275lb on the bench with a spot before and got it 3x with a spot on the last, but this past week I tried it with no spot and got 2 easily which felt awesome.  And then right after that I hit up incline barbell and can rep out 225 on there which feels great too.  My squats are up to 375 4x which is the most I've ever done.  When I was yonger 365 was the most I could do.  So all of this strength feels fantastic while working out.

But now I definitely am the least lean I've been in a while, which I'm fine with as I said I was bulking, but I'm ready to try and lean up a bit now.  I wanna get to like 205 or so and see how I look at that point.  Right now is the first time in like a decade or more where I don't really see any abs in my belly and I can tell my belly is bigger than it used to be.  I've even had to move my belt notch over 2 slots if I wanna be comfortable.

This past week I've been eating pretty clean, and on weekends I usually eat a bit worse, but I'm going to try and watch it a bit this weekend.  I weigh myself once a week, Monday mornings before I brush my teeth, so that is how I tell if I lost or gained weight the past week.  If I didn't lose any weight, I'll change something.  If I lost like a pound or so, then I'll keep doing what I'm doing.  Once I add in LISS 2-3 times a week, that will help a bit too.  I'm going to do it tomorrow for like 20 minutes to start.

That's ****ing dope, man!  Seeing the gains is so addictive 😎.  If you're pushing 275 three times you can probably hit 300.  And that damn shoulder pain, man.  Mine comes and goes.  No better feeling than when you feel good, no pain, and you're locked in lifting heavy.  

Eating clean will definitely help drop the lbs. It sucks LOL.  I lose weight so much faster when I'm in a healthy calorie deficit and LISS after lifting.  And I drink a ton of water. 

I was in a similar boat.  I was crushing it all last year and then Thanksgiving came and I fell off the wagon. Hard. Put on my favorite Commanders hoodie in early January and that mfer was a little snug :ols:.  

I had a dream goal of four plates on bench but I don't want to hurt myself.  I'm at 385 max and there's so much stress on my wrists/arms/chest that I'm scared to go any further.  I use wraps when benching heavy but still scared. Seen too many videos of torn pecs I guess.  

Keep working!  💪🏽

23 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I’m a cardio bunny now

Aww man ☹️.  Mean Doc > lean Doc.  All good though.  Heart health is definitely most important. You were my inspiration years ago when you'd always be talking about crushing the squats.  

Just know that your girl saw my chest enter the room before the rest of me did.

22 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Thanks man. I’m trying to be the leanest I’ve ever been in my life. I’m going to try to do two more months of this.

Best of luck, brother.  You're probably going to need some new shoes when you're done logging all those miles lol. 

8 minutes ago, Chew said:

That's ****ing dope, man!  Seeing the gains is so addictive 😎.  If you're pushing 275 three times you can probably hit 300.  And that damn shoulder pain, man.  Mine comes and goes.  No better feeling than when you feel good, no pain, and you're locked in lifting heavy.  

Eating clean will definitely help drop the lbs. It sucks LOL.  I lose weight so much faster when I'm in a healthy calorie deficit and LISS after lifting.  And I drink a ton of water. 

I was in a similar boat.  I was crushing it all last year and then Thanksgiving came and I fell off the wagon. Hard. Put on my favorite Commanders hoodie in early January and that mfer was a little snug :ols:.  

I had a dream goal of four plates on bench but I don't want to hurt myself.  I'm at 385 max and there's so much stress on my wrists/arms/chest that I'm scared to go any further.  I use wraps when benching heavy but still scared. Seen too many videos of torn pecs I guess.  

Keep working!  💪🏽

Aww man ☹️.  Mean Doc > lean Doc.  All good though.  Heart health is definitely most important. You were my inspiration years ago when you'd always be talking about crushing the squats.  

Just know that your girl saw my chest enter the room before the rest of me did.

Best of luck, brother.  You're probably going to need some new shoes when you're done logging all those miles lol. 

Lmao. 385 you a beast. I capped out at 365 about 6 years ago. At most I can do 335 now. 

I’m still mean but with way more energy. My strokes may only be 85% of they were before but my endurance is triple. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

You MFers benching over 300 with ease ... that is strong AF lol.  If I lift with my brother again before I lose too much strength, I may try 295 or 300 to see if I can get it once. The thing that surprised me the other day when I did 275lbs with no spot was how light it felt when I lifted it off the rack, and then how easy the first one felt. 

And yeah I use all the lifting "tools" now to protect myself. I have wrist wraps I use all the time.  I also use straps for gripping heavier stuff.  i have knee wraps I use when squatting only.  And then the past couple months I stared using elbow sleeves too which have helped tendonitis.  Oh yeah and I use a belt too when doing heavy weight stuff where I want to protect my lower back.

• Thumb up 1

On 2/9/2024 at 10:38 AM, Chew said:

Just checking in with the homies, hopefully everyone is sticking to the grind through these winter months.  

Take your creatine :)

I'm down 5 pounds from the beginning of January so I'll take it. I took my foot off the gas this weekend but this coming week it's back to work. 

I haven't mixed in the workout piece yet, just eating much healthier. 

@Sacks 'n' Stuff I just turned 39, anything you feel has particularly helped for you?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1