Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

20 minutes ago, tshile said:

just saying I believe their bike is competitively priced. 

Her intention is to use Peleton for various SAM (strength and mobility) workouts.

Personally I'm not really a fan of being on a bike. We already have one we picked up very cheap from a local gym when they updated their equipment. She maybe used it ten times in the last five years but more as a warmup/recovery session.

We have a treadmill at home for when running outside on the trail doesn't work, and know enough about aerobic and anaerobic work to do good treadmill sessions ourselves with the programming that the treadmill supports. While watching the appropriate Netflix content to help pass the time. I don't want an instructor chirping in my ear when I'm exercising. :ols:

On 12/29/2020 at 4:24 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

New home rig. 

I'm not familiar with that particular model of dungeon equipment. Where do you attach the restraints?

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not that this should sway your opinion or anything but just adding they have a setting where you can choose balanced, more music less instructor, or more instructor less music for how it’s all mixed

but yeah if you’re doing the programs you have to be able to hear them call out the changes.... I’ve tried it without listening and it’s way too hard for me. I don’t want to stare at the screen and monitor everything to make sure I’m doing it right. I’d rather zone out and know someone will yell at me when to make a change 😂 

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

Not that this should sway your opinion or anything but just adding they have a setting where you can choose balanced, more music less instructor, or more instructor less music for how it’s all mixed

but yeah if you’re doing the programs you have to be able to hear them call out the changes.... I’ve tried it without listening and it’s way too hard for me. I don’t want to stare at the screen and monitor everything to make sure I’m doing it right. I’d rather zone out and know someone will yell at me when to make a change 😂 

I tried a running workout app, but quickly ditched it. They did not offer music to my taste, or it would throw in terrible advice, such as "run flat out" and ten seconds later add " ... for half a mile".

Honestly, most of the time I run I want to zone out to a podcast or audiobook. Not hear Becky from Tampa tell me that "You got this!!!!!", and "You are an awesome rockstar today!"

Becky, go **** yourself.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 5

Yeah my wife tried to get me into those home workouts. I always refused. I told her I wasn’t into them. I find it lame to the point of discouraging me from participating. 

and yeah there’s an element of that on the peloton. 

im into running and weights right now. Though these days I’m definitely going more for in shape, endurance and tone than bulking up. 

ive reached an age and lifestyle where if I don’t want to randomly embarrass myself because i have to run, or lift something heavy, or whatever then I gotta actually work on being shape

i think I’m close to playing pick up again. Not that I go to a gym anymore anyways but that was always an awesome way to finish up lifting. Tons of fun and you’ll get your ass whipped into shape quick. I’ve reached out to a buddy that had a track scholarship to UCLA and was big into football/basketball to join his pickup circle. I got some work to do...

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Stick with your Total Gym, grandpa. 

don’t hate, total gym is awesome. I also have a rogue rack. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Haha 1

Some of the members of my local Gold's Gym are pigs.  I don't trust them.    We have a small house, with no room for exercise equipment.   

After this **** started, I bought a couple exercise cables, made out of surgical tubing.  I don't lift "heavy" anymore but was skeptical, but now I'm a firm believer.  With the exception of a good chest workout, you can do a ****-ton of exercises with those things.  It's possible to get a decent chest workout, if you get the straps that allow you to attach the cables to a door, but it looks like they would scratch up the door.   I do wide-hand and triangle push-ups, which is working so far.

Between the cables, push-ups, and the use of stuff around the house to hit other muscle groups, (chair for dips, 5-gallon bucket full of weights, yoga mat), I'm getting really good resistance work.   As for cardio, unless it's bitter cold and raining, I jog and power walk around the neighborhood, and hit the local high school track, where I can jog up and down the stadium steps and power walk the track.

Pre-pandemic weight was 191 lbs.     Yesterdays weight? 191 lbs.   

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

After this **** started, I bought a couple exercise cables, made out of surgical tubing.  I don't lift "heavy" anymore but was skeptical, but now I'm a firm believer.  With the exception of a good chest workout, you can do a ****-ton of exercises with those things.  It's possible to get a decent chest workout, if you get the straps that allow you to attach the cables to a door, but it looks like they would scratch up the door.   I do wide-hand and triangle push-ups, which is working so far.

can you wrap these around your back. Hold one end of the strap in each hand and push forward? Or push forward and cross your forearms? Not sure what the bands you are working with will allow but that’s similar to the chest workout with the x3 bar ive been using 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

can you wrap these around your back. Hold one end of the strap in each hand and push forward? Or push forward and cross your forearms? Not sure what the bands you are working with will allow but that’s similar to the chest workout with the x3 bar ive been using 

I can try.  

One of the bands can be shortened, but it's a pain in the ass.  With the pushup variations that I use, and the number of reps and sets, I'm feeling pretty good about my chest workout.

I'll give it a whirl, with the bands. Thanks!

• Like 1

New Research Reveals Exercising One Arm Has Twice the Benefits

New research from Edith Cowan University (ECU) has revealed that training one arm can improve strength and decrease muscle loss in the other arm — without even moving it.

The findings could help to address the muscle wastage and loss of strength often experienced in an immobilized arm, such as after injury, by using eccentric exercise on the opposing arm.

In eccentric exercises, the contracting muscle is lengthening, such as when lowering a dumbbell in bicep curls, sitting on a chair slowly or walking downstairs. Previous research has shown these exercises are more effective at growing muscle than concentric exercises, in which muscle are shortening such as when lifting a dumbbell or walking up stairs.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the grind after taking a few weeks off. Don't think I stretched properly one morning, and began feeling a tight little twinge in the knee ligament area after a ride.

People weren't joking about feeling a bit more vulnerable in your 30's. Teens and 20's i felt like ****in' Iron Man. Now I have a whole stretch routine that I do, just to avoid a trip to the ER.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

@Spaceman Spiff is our resident rower. 

@The Evil Genius

Don't **** around, get a Concept2.  It's what any good high school, or collegiate rowing program trains on.  It's what USRowing uses, too.  They are the gold standard.  It's what they test world records on.

Back in college I got one.  There was an indoor rowing competition over in Alexandria, I think.  They get these brand new Concept2s and have them out for race day and at the end of the day you can purchase one. Being a broke ass college student, mom hooked it up, I can't remember what the deal was but it was REALLY good.  I put well over a million meters on it, probably closer to 2 million.  I pulled a few marathons on it and it took a beating but it's still in fantastic shape.  They are very durable machines and require hardly and maintenance (just some oil on the chain every so often).

The only problem with it is, if you really row hard on it, the fan can make a lot of noise.  Not bad if you're in your basement or in a garage, not ideal for apartment living.  So when I moved into an apartment and didn't want to piss off my neighbors, I got a WaterRower.  Nice and quiet, good for being in an apartment, but not nearly the same experience as a Concept2.  Being shortsighted, I sold that Concept2 to a buddy of mine who I rowed with in college and now it collects dust in his basement.  

Bad move on my part.  Now that I'm living in a house, I want a Concept2, bad.  I'm on the waitlist for a Model D, which is way nicer than what I had, also way quieter.  I'm not sure what NordicTrack has to offer, but as I'm looking at their site it looks like they've got a big screen with classes and all the other accoutrements that have popped up post Peleton, which, if you've never done any rowing, might be good.  Concept 2 doesn't have that but you get access to their online challenges and community which is massive.  The computer might not have a big screen on it with a teacher, but it's still fantastic, you'll get a log card that'll track your meters and workouts.  Pretty sure they have an app that'll connect automatically and upload that information for you, too and I think you might be able to hook an iPad up to the Concept2 model D.

Ultimately, here's how I see it:  NordicTrack does a lot of things and they do them well.  They've been around forever, they obviously make good equipment and you probably can't go wrong with their erg, especially if you want the at home class experience.  But there's a reason the gold standard of ergs is the Concept2.

More reading:  

• Like 3

@Spaceman Spiff

Fwiw I'm entry level into this and was looking for something to challenge while keeping me engaged. That's why the NordicTrack one appealed (and tbh I'm looking at the base one that runs $1k). 

I'll definitely do my reading though on the Concept2 before I purchase. 

Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

Corporate Crossfit has certain benchmark workouts that they give names to. “Murph” and “Fran” and such. Since I quit my box due to Covid,  me and some neighbors have turned my garage into a gym and have been getting our workouts from an online crossfit community. We’ve started naming the workouts we really like. 

DBA912D6-5A94-4DC7-B8B7-7FB80ADC573C.jpeg

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

I don't like working out with anyone unless it is just a one off.  I hate talking to anyone at the gym too.  I keep my headphones on and try to not make eye contact if I see someone trying to talk to me.  I get annoyed as **** when people ask me to spot them.  My goal when I am there is to get my workout over as quickly as possible.  I time myself between sets and stuff to be sure I don't rest too long.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The concept of working out with neighbors is so foreign to me. 

well doing anything with neighbors other than avoiding eye contact until you get back inside and shut the door is foreign to me 

True it’s awkward making eye contact with your neighbor especially after piping his wife while he was working. 

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big
  • Haha 1

I did concept 2 for years after I first got MS and had 0 ballance. It was all my cardio for awhile because even I couldnt whine about falling 6 inches.

On the cool front now, I started doing the ecercuse programs with my wife when the quarantine started. I did them in addition to my running, and I cut way back on soda. I am down 40 lbs. Of the exwrcise routines, Lilly Sabri was my favorite. She was a physical therapist for a pro football team (soccer). It was through her routinea I broke through to meet my 4,5,6 goal. I wanted a six pack by the time I turned 45 in Oct.  Chloe Ting's workouts are awesome too. Just look at their longer challenges and stick with them for some lean muscle gains. They have 30 or 28 day challenges.

Edited by gbear
  • Like 2

My physical therapy finally got to benching with a yoga block on my chest. I’m all excited just being allowed to do up to 65lbs. It’s tough holding back but I’m in it for the long term so I won’t go full motion until they say. My goal is to bench 225 again by the end of the year and do a set of 10 pull-ups. I’m not yet allowed to even attempt a pull-up. 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Summer is in four months.  Hope y'all bammas are doing them Bulgarian splits and sumos for that dumpie. 🎂 

Anywho, we're not supposed to do valentine's at all, but the wife surprised me with a Tonal order yesterday.  Won't be here for 6-8 weeks, but I'll chime back in with a review once they've installed it.  Apparently the weight/resistance is all electromagnetic, and is even more effective than free weights due to the constant tension.  I'm not a big fan of machines, but I'll give it a chance.  Reviews are pretty solid.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1