Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I had forgotten how good Fabian Moreau's combine numbers were. Just ridiculous. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/fabian-moreau?id=25581362558136

I think people forget he basically had a first/second round grade but fell cuz he got injured at his pro day.  If he had been taken where he should've/would've gone absent the injury, we're not even having this discussion about Breeland.

Two things:

Hankins going to his third team in three years is a nonsensical point, IMO.  

DRC was being looked at to man the slot corner spot.  Yes, he offers the versatility to play outside too, but we weren’t looking for an outside corner, we were trying to fix the hole we dug trading away Fuller.  It seems we opted for Scandrick because of the price tag... possibly in part because trading away a better player on a rookie salary for a lesser, semi-expensive one would have been a bit of a black eye for the FO.    

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Maybe they dumb their way into the right one this time..:cheers:

I'm sure we'll both be here regardless : )

Hail.

Edit:  As for Jay, he's the best coach I've seen us have not named Gibbs.  He's not perfect, but I like him, I hope a new GM gives him a fair shot versus cleaning house.

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I mentioned the draft in terms of depth - finding a 4th outside corner... though I suppose Scandrick could fill that role if Holsey starts in the slot.  Not ideal IMO (regarding Scandrick) because I prefer the lower depth to be young guys with potential.  

One thing to add to this discussion is the coaching. Gray seems like a gem of a positional coach and Manusky has made it clear you can never have too many corners.  I believe we’ll add a talented guy this draft to groom into solid depth or even into a starter role within the next couple of years.   

Ya, I feel you.  I'm not going to keep harping my point, I think ya'll got it now.  I will say I like the two coaches you mentioned, same I still like Jay.  I get that it's their job to get the most out of what's given to them, but there's a realistic limit to expectations there.  I'll be at Richmond since as usually I'm too impatient to wait for Preseason for the eye test.

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Because the salary cap is a zero sum game and its hard to pay two corners big money when you also need to extend a Pro Bowl RG, very good OLB/DE and maybe your best WR to market deals next season as well as paying big dollars to your stud LT, a QB, a TE (oft injured!) and a pass rusher. You can't keep everyone - so you have to trust your drafting and development of drafted players to fill out your roster around those big players.

Now your point is valid though, we have taken a position of strength and turned it into a question mark. Having Fuller involved in the deal to get Smith really hurts.

It's tough, I get it, we can't pay everyone, life is not fair, Salary Cap doesn't allow for fair.  Even if you draft somebody who makes it to starter status, you have to pick and choose who's worth bringing back considering they all want market value at minimum and you'd go over the cap if you tried to do that.  We aren't always right on this, we made a similar decision with Pierce thinking we could plug Marshall in and keep it moving.  Marshall turned into a pinata, Pierce went to a division rival and won a super bowl.

This goes back to why I was so angry about the Alex Smith trade, we didn't want to give that money to Kirk, but them extended Smith instead of trying to franchise and trade Cousins for picks and we could've drafted his replacement (who coulda been way better then both way sooner for way less).  We've put ourselves in a different cap situation with this win-now crap, insisting like we always do that "we're almost there".  

I feel Snyder and Allen decided not to suck in fear of a fan revolt versus putting us in better position to deal with the NFC powers.  We aren't on their level, it may take another offseason or two to get there (with a rookie QB who would be going into his third season).  As fans, I feel like we're left trying to rationalize the irrational because that's what we got.  It's been that way since I've been here : /

On 4/23/2018 at 10:57 AM, goskins10 said:

I am in total wait and see mode. There is just too much off-season to go - not the least of which is the draft then post draft cuts. 

Last but not least - they have a plan. One you clearly do not like - and that's fair. But I disagree that not having a plan and having one that some see as not a good plan are not the same thing.

Remember when the recurring mantra here and in the media was "Tell me what's Plan B if Cousins isn't here? Who else out there would be any good? McCoy? Please. Brees? He's gonna re-sign with the Saints. A rookie? Unless he's like Andrew Luck he won't be ready to lead the Redskins to wins for at least 2-3 years. The reality is that good QBs are never made available. So if not Cousins, who? What's your Plan B?"

I remember Sheehan saying that nonstop for awhile, and I said "He thinks just because he doesn't know what their Plan B might be, that it means they don't have one."

I can be as critical f the FO as anyone but I agree that they likely have a Plan B -- and there is a method to the madness to all of what they do.  As for whether those plans are actually smart and have good vision is an entirely different discussion.  I think every team is working off of some type of plan for better or worse.

Sometimes the plan is telegraphed.  Lets take D line.  

A.  We know they see it as a need and want to upgrade it. Doug flat out said it bluntly.

B.  We know they have poked around on multiple D lineman in FA.

C.  Those D lineman thus far haven't accepted an offer from the Redskins -- Hankins still might.

D.  Bruce said they are hoping some team releases a player that they like.

So what's the plan here?  Comes off of lets see if we can find a D lineman in the draft, if not maybe circle back to Hankins if he's still free or hope some D lineman is released.   Could this work out? Sure.  Could it not work out?  Sure, too.  

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lets take D line.  

A.  We know they see it as a need and want to upgrade it. Doug flat out said it bluntly.

B.  We know they have poked around on multiple D lineman in FA.

C.  Those D lineman thus far haven't accepted an offer from the Redskins -- Hankins still might.

D.  Bruce said they are hoping some team releases a player that they like.

So what's the plan here?  Comes off of lets see if we can find a D lineman in the draft, if not maybe circle back to Hankins if he's still free or hope some D lineman is released.   Could this work out? Sure.  Could it not work out?  Sure, too.  

What is wrong with that? I look at this dline class and think it's pretty deep. Even our fourth round pick could bring a role player. A run stopper who could sub in and out. 13th pick can probably be used at either Payne or Vea. Our second round pick could be used for Philips, Green, Settle, Hand or Shepherd. 

I understand you want to go into the draft without any holes but we have veteran depth at Dline. Signing more Mc's is not going to help (average player with relative big cap hit). We either needed to sign somebody cheap, that we can cut easy and no long term commitment (like McPhee at OLB) or sign a instant improvement/superstar (cap situation is not ideal for that and the FA dline class was not amazing). Anything between that would just be a waste of roster and cap space.

Now we just go into the draft and see where it gets us. It would also be silly if we sign a third Mc, draft a Dlineman in the draft that we love and then need to cut one of the Mc's and eat a cap hit. 

I.m.o. We have a bunch of average guys and Allen. So to improve the unit we either sign a big time Dlineman (did not happen) or spend high draft pick on it. Otherwise you can just use a late round pick or FA cut guy to add more average dline players to your rotation. 

It's not a great plan but I see some logic in it. 

*sorry for the long post. Feels like I keep saying the same thing in the text...but it was hard to write it down clearly. So hope my point is understood. 

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@wilco_hollandSmall sample size, but after week 6 last year, PFF had this to say about Matt Ioannidas:

• On the season, Ioannidis now has the league’s second-highest pass rushing productivity score of 13.2, trailing only Aaron Donald among interior defenders. He has 20 total pressures from just 121 pass-rushing snaps.

Good post. 

I think Ion and Lanier have potential but both are kinda passrush guys. That's why I rather go for a guy in the draft then sign a big FA. These guys either develop in more complete players or they will sub in and out of the game. In that case we don't need a allround lineman but guys who can stop the run. I have no probleme with a sub heavy Dline group. Sure hurry up O can kill you but NFL rules are holding that back a little and not a lot of teams run it. 

Isn't that Manusky's style anyway? Go for high rotation at Dline positions?

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@wilco_hollandSmall sample size, but after week 6 last year, PFF had this to say about Matt Ioannidas:

• On the season, Ioannidis now has the league’s second-highest pass rushing productivity score of 13.2, trailing only Aaron Donald among interior defenders. He has 20 total pressures from just 121 pass-rushing snaps.

Our pass rush was a thing of beauty the first 6 games of the year last year. We were either swallowing up the QB or making it extremely difficult for him to step up in the pocket. Ioannidis certainly a large part of that.

17 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

That at least seems semi-plausible for a 6 week sample.  Doesnt seem as dubious as the Next Gen stat that suggested Preston Smith was the best pass rusher in the league.

I dont know how this team has taken a what was a prolific offense a couple years ago and turned it into minced wood...We are gonna struggle this year if we dont draft play makers in this years draft our two best offensive weapons are hurt every year I cant say that im satisfied with the free agent signings this year many on this board claim they want players that will play for cheap but have tons of talent (Simply wont happen in any professional sport) and that we shouldnt be spending big money in free agency unfortunately we are not the patriots we cant afford to lose good players and replace them with journeyman and still win, the offense took a huge step back losing Djax and Garcon and this is year 2 where we havent replaced the value of talent we have lost...Not to mention losing cousins, Smith and Cousins are not even losing Cousins will hurt all be it Smith will be able to make up for some of what will be lost but at 34 theres a lot of miles on that body id be shocked if  he replicated his best year which was last year with our offensive talent. Bring me Julio Jones.

13 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I dont know how this team has taken a what was a prolific offense a couple years ago and turned it into minced wood...We are gonna struggle this year if we dont draft play makers in this years draft our two best offensive weapons are hurt every year I cant say that im satisfied with the free agent signings this year many on this board claim they want players that will play for cheap but have tons of talent (Simply wont happen in any professional sport) and that we shouldnt be spending big money in free agency unfortunately we are not the patriots we cant afford to lose good players and replace them with journeyman and still win, the offense took a huge step back losing Djax and Garcon and this is year 2 where we havent replaced the value of talent we have lost...Not to mention losing cousins, Smith and Cousins are not even losing Cousins will hurt all be it Smith will be able to make up for some of what will be lost but at 34 theres a lot of miles on that body id be shocked if  he replicated his best year which was last year with our offensive talent. Bring me Julio Jones.

Its quite simple really, the offense was McVay's.  I mean, its not too hard to put 2 and 2 together, McVay leaves and our offense becomes anemic.  He goes to the Rams and their pathetic offense turns into one of the top in the league.  The only way to really and truly tell whats mostly responsible(though its never just one thing) is to remove that from the system and put it into another, and see how things fair.

That and the arrogance of thinking they could ship out so many important pieces and it would still work, because our current staff was convinced it was all them.  

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Perfect scenario is Hankins signs today or tomorrow, four QBs go in the top 12 and we have our pick of the litter at 13.  

My perfect scenario involves Margot Robbie and me in a hotel suite all weekend long, and after I emerge Monday morning exhausted and smiling, I find out that we traded back and picked up 12 additional picks all in the first 5 rounds, Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson are 100% healthy and ready to play, Kirk Cousins decided to retire and start up his own ministry in Utah, and unbeknownst to me someone bought me a lottery ticket that hit the $300M jackpot. Fingers crossed!

29 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

DJax and Garcon did not exactly set the world on fire when they left here, they also were nothing to get excited about in 2015 but both really put it together in 2016 when playing for new contracts, funny how that worked out.  Our offense actually produced decent numbers last season with the obvious exception of our feeble run game, factor in that Reed was a non factor and CT broke his leg on top of all the OL injuries and it is amazing we were not last in offense on the season. 

Crowder is a good slot receiver, Doctson took big strides last year and is not at his ceiling, P Rich was one of the leagues top deep threats and for now we expect to have Reed and CT back by training camp.  That is a pretty nice base for the offense this year, yes we need a legitimate starting RB but outside of that if they waste early picks on playmakers I am going to throw up.  If they decide not to upgrade the defense early then I would rather they focus on drafting for the OL than playmakers, there are some great talents out there and we need a LG and also need to think about what we do after Trent. 

So far as chasing playmakers in trade or FA, what exactly are we going to offer?  Julio Jones is going nowhere but even if he was are we supposed to give away a couple of firsts for a guy with a ton of miles on the clock?  To pay him we would probably have to get into contract restructures like the Saints, Jets and Cowboys have in the past and that is just kicking the can down the road until you end up with a ton of dead money on the books which hamstrings you for the future. 

54 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Its quite simple really, the offense was McVay's.  I mean, its not too hard to put 2 and 2 together, McVay leaves and our offense becomes anemic.  He goes to the Rams and their pathetic offense turns into one of the top in the league.  The only way to really and truly tell whats mostly responsible(though its never just one thing) is to remove that from the system and put it into another, and see how things fair.

That and the arrogance of thinking they could ship out so many important pieces and it would still work, because our current staff was convinced it was all them.  

Garcon AND Jackson (who were both playing for contracts also) together playing in an offense they knew cold, a relatively healthy Reed and a much healthier offensive line.  In 2016, this was all supported by better special teams play. We also played a better set of defenses in 2017. In 2015 our offense was really not much better than mediocre until about the last half of the season.

I doubt we will sign anyone before the draft. Not sure any team will honestly. Now we are days away from the draft, so you might as well wait and see what you'll get in round 1-3.

As for Hankins, couldn't his leverage possibly increase if a team (let's say the Redskins) miss out on their #1 target on the DL (e.g. Vea is off the board at 13 and we pick a DB or LB). Now we still need DL help... unless they know they can find it in round 2, our need for a guy like Hankins increased. 

Not saying it would be smart for Hankins to wait, but he hasn't signed until now, I doubt a team will increase its offer 2 days before the draft... so he also might as well wait and hope a team misses out

Archived