Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

With this possible Hankins signing they need to up the ante a tick. You have a chance to nail FA with this move. It allows you to go anywhere in the draft. It turns the unit into something that may actually be a strength. These are the type of guys you overpay. Ones that fix a gigantic hole, young, good teammate, and most importantly good. Do not let him leave. I do not want the Vea or Payne inevitable bust due to overdrafting. Just get this done!

1 minute ago, fordranger76 said:

With this possible Hankins signing they need to up the ante a tick. You have a chance to nail FA with this move. It allows you to go anywhere in the draft. It turns the unit into something that may actually be a strength. These are the type of guys you overpay. Ones that fix a gigantic hole, young, good teammate, and most importantly good. Do not let him leave. I do not want the Vea or Payne inevitable bust due to overdrafting. Just get this done!

I would be nervous about the overpay part. Maybe a little sugar but not to much..... we've seen overpaying laying on the field before. 

49 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

4. You better hope 2017 starts a trend for both QBs.  Because Kirk leading the league in yards lost due to sacks is brand new, like Smith throwing the deep ball.

Any QB playing behind our injury-decimated OLine would have lead the league in yards lost due to sacks lol....hell, I think I got sacked a few times just watching the games.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We got Doug talking about DT.  We got a couple of marquee names at DT that they have met with.  We got multiple beat guys saying they liked Poe and Richardson and kicked the tires on it.  With all of that, you are still arguing whether the team really thinks they truly need to upgrade at DT?   Clearly its not all one big orchestrated act.  That's a lot of smoke to ignore.

Its not arguing whether the team thinks they need to upgrade. Its whether they will sign a big name DT. They didn't sign Wilkerson after bringing him in and didn't sign Poe or Logan. They're bringing somebody else in but it may be a DRC type thing where we low ball him and he walks away and signs somewhere else. I think you're overstating my point of view. I'm only saying that while Doug said they'd address the position, they could sign another guy who was a backup on their previous team looking to start and call that addressing the position. Was Reyes addressing the position? Was Hood? Was Bruton addressing the FS position? Was Johnson?

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am into "overpaying" on the D line.  That's really the gist of my point.  I like bargain shopping at spots for sure.  But my point falls with yours on the 3rd tier type of FAs -- I typically don't want them.  I'd rather run with an AJ Francis over a McGee or McClain. 

What I'm saying is does Bruce et al think this? I think they think the opposite, just looking at the history. He likes to find values. I actually think they are more likely to overpay for the back 7 than the front 7 (I guess because its a passing league and they think they need a good secondary).

I'd take exception with calling them third tier FAs, especially based on the years they had before we signed them. We saw them as up and coming young DTs who could sure up our line. Maybe they (particularly the McClain signing) are closer to the Baltimore Grant deal than the steals the Patriots make, but that doesn't make them tier 3. McClain had a AV of 8 in 2016. McGee had an AV of 4, and both were seen as good run stuffing DTs.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am lost as to how this point is relevant to my post.  But if your point is there is depth on the D line position in the draft, I agree.  To me though its mainly likely the 2nd round.  But maybe guys like D. Hand and others drop to the 4th will see.

Doug, Jay and the insiders have said that we want to address run defense and D Line issues. We could address that by drafting one of the names I mention (particularly the lower round guys), it still enables us to get a guy like Tremaine Edwards or Roquan Smith or a RB or a G in the first round, somebody else at those positions in the second and somebody else in the 4th. Then we could get a run stuffing DT and call it a day. There are many ways to live up to Doug's words without spending big money at the position.

I could certainly see the FO testing Hankins asking price, letting him walk, hope they can sign him or Logan a bit cheaper as FA goes on, but looking to the draft if not.  The main reason (aside from the overpaying/cheap angle) being because they want to try for an extension with Smith/Scherff/Crowder.  

Another wrench in the big DT signing is slot corner - they don’t want to look bad at this position after giving up Fuller.  If they sign Scandrick or Cromartie though, they might be pushing it to try to fit the DT. 

16 minutes ago, justice98 said:

A potential front line of Hankins, Vita Vea, and Allen hits my feel spot.  Feel spot poised for activation.

Hankins and Vita Vea would both play the same 1 or 3 tech role in base and neither guy is known as a great pass rusher (though Vea has the potential/athletic ability to develop into one). Unlikely they would be on the field at the same time apart from in short yardage defense.

Last year NFL offenses were in 11 personnel (1 back, 1 TE, 3 WR) on over 60% of snaps league wide. That means defenses were in sub package as base. If you factor in short yardage, goal line, dime etc teams are in base 3-4 or 4-3 only around 10% - 15% of snaps.

We are mainly a 1 gap defense (that might change but I doubt it). When people talk of run stuffing defenders they are normally thinking 2 gap - we dont run that. What you do want though is a guy who can disrupt a blocking scheme and who commands a double team. Allen did that to some extent and we saw the impact of losing him when he was hurt. 

So the question in deciding if you draft Vea high and how much you offer a guy like Hankins is what do they offer as a 1 gap defender in sub? Can they give you quality pass rush reps from a 3 tech rotation in a 4 man line in sub? Are they the kind of guy who teams need to double when they run?

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

Really has nothing to do with my point. By not cutting McClain yesterday we would be throwing away $2 million dollars in dead cap money if we were to cut him this year. So if we get Hankins or draft a DT we will will probably have to cut a DT - McClain is our worst DT but now will likely be retained simply because of the the cap hit it would cost.

1 minute ago, DC9 said:

Pernell McPhee being in the building for me spells the end of Gallete. 

I was thinking the same thing. But then McPhee is more of an effort power rusher from the OLB spot not a quick twitch speed rusher like Galette. We have a lot of power effort edge guys - we lack a speed guy off that edge. I'd prefer Galette back for that reason but it sounds from what hes being saying on Twitter that he is looking to get paid - so he might have priced himself out. For now.

Bringing in someone like McPhee might be due diligence in case we can't sign Galette and it might just be a shot across his bows as part of negotiating with him.

2 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

If they could get Hankins, and have enough left over for a solid slot corner, then draft Harold Landry, I could start getting quite excited about this defense.

For slot corner I might just go the gamble route. Hope that some high end rookie beats some vet and you can pick one or a rookie/young guy on the roster earns the spot. It's tricky but I don't see a lot of options on FA marketing outside of Gaines...who visited I couple of teams I think. 

@Long n Left and @Gibbs Hog Heaven are you Liverpool fans invading this board? Will we be hearing ''You never walk aloneeeeee at FedEx field''? 

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:

So you don't hold out Hope that Jay can improve what Smith started doing last year? 

I think hope is different than what's expected.  I hope to get a big raise every year but I expect a pittance.

I don't have any ill will towards Jay or Smith, but if the two hit it off instantly and we see more 2017 Alex than the 12 seasons prior, that will be a surprise not an expectation.

Archived