Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

4 hours ago, nonniey said:

So did the Redskins cut McClain today? If not, how could they sign Hankins without looking totally incompetent for not cutting him? Or for matter draft a DT in the first round?  (note McClain had to be cut today or he'd be guaranteed 3 mil). 

I wouldn't go that far because (a) although his play wasn't as good as we expected, he could be a guy we have faith in (b) we could have told him he may be cut unless he renegotiated and he complied (c) I hate to say this, but 3 mil in dead cap space is one thing but if we are unable to get a good guy to replace him (haven't signed Hankins yet and haven't gone through the draft & UDFA process yet) so it would be creating a hole without having the player to fill it yet.

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I wouldn't go that far because (a) although his play wasn't as good as we expected, he could be a guy we have faith in (b) we could have told him he may be cut unless he renegotiated and he complied (c) I hate to say this, but 3 mil in dead cap space is one thing but if we are unable to get a good guy to replace him (haven't signed Hankins yet and haven't gone through the draft & UDFA process yet) so it would be creating a hole without having the player to fill it yet.

This mostly for the guy you replied to:  https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/3/19/17066508/the-5-oclock-club-johnathan-hankins-redskins-nfl-free-agency?utm_campaign=hogshaven&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

4 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

I think the fact that we had so many injuries and still ended up 21 bodes well for the future. We are returning 4 of 5 starters and hopefully will be able to find an upgrade at LG. We also have one of the better swing tackles, who was also hobbled. 

Yes, but Williams is not getting any younger and slowly but surely injuries have become more and more prevalent each year.  Something to be concerned about.

Keim on Junkies this morning with not much we don't already know.  In summary, Colts run a different 4-3 and they are looking for quicker, cheaper which is why Hankins was released even though he was productive.  He thinks they solved ILB with Brown but still need a RB, LG, NT.  All 3 of these guys they are bringing in on D were cut so no comp pick effect.  McPhee is a rotation guy that could fill Murphy's role.  Always a secondary market in FA where another round of guys get released.  Market has not developed for Junior because he is still just a situational guy.  If they sign McPhee that would be 4 guys and not sure if they would need Junior.  He thinks they go draft on RB cause wouldn't pay $4-5 mil on FA RB.  They feel they're in the sweet spot with their first 2 picks for RB.  DRC and Scandrick both would be used at slot corner but Skins don't want to pay a ton for aging guys as they like their young guys like Holsey.     

14 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

If they sign McPhee that would be 4 guys and not sure if they would need Junior.  He thinks they go draft on RB cause wouldn't pay $4-5 mil on FA RB.  They feel they're in the sweet spot with their first 2 picks for RB.  DRC and Scandrick both would be used at slot corner but Skins don't want to pay a ton for aging guys as they like their young guys like Holsey.     

I hope they figure it out with Junior over McPhee.  Junior brings more of a change of pace as for the pass rush and is IMO a better pass rusher period.  McPhee is another power guy versus a quick twitch pass rusher like Galette.

Also DRC seems clearly > Scandrick

So, I just reviewed the Danny Shelton trade, are you kidding me???

NE gets a 5th this year and beast in the middle for a future 3rd. WTF man, I woulda let Cle keep the 5th for him. Still on rookie deal for 1 more year and every bit as effective as anyone on run D. 

Just wow

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

So, I just reviewed the Danny Shelton trade, are you kidding me???

NE gets a 5th this year and beast in the middle for a future 3rd. WTF man, I woulda let Cle keep the 5th for him. Still on rookie deal for 2 more years and every bit as effective as anyone on run D. 

Just wow

They were talking about NE the other day on some show saying Belichick is a master at figuring out what players others teams have that they want to discard and how to get them for a ham sandwich and then they aggressively just go do it.

8 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

We didn't re-sign Spencer Long?  Why not?  Injury?  I thought he was good last year, but I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast so he coulda sucked balls.

he only played in seven games

John KeimESPN Staff Writer 

Monday will be a big day for the Redskins, with defensive lineman Johnathan Hankins, corner Orlando Scandrick and outside linebacker Pernell McPhee visiting. The latter was first reported by the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport Sunday night and then confirmed. McPhee was cut by Chicago in February; health has been his biggest issue but he does offer versatility as a pass rusher -- playing outside linebacker, but with the size to move inside on some packages. The Redskins have made an offer to outside linebacker Junior Galette, but in a tweet Sunday he said though the Redskins make the most sense for him, "it's Gotta Be Fair." The Redskins also have hosted linebacker/defensive end Benson Mayowa.

•  
  •  
  •  
icon-espn-e-@2x.png
1h

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

Just saw Shelton's contract 1 more year, forgot he wasn't 1st rounder, which I had in my sig as my wish list 3 years ago as our 1st round pick. That does make a difference as he will command 10 mil a year in FA if not more

Shelton WAS a first rounder. He has one official year on his contract left, with one team option after that (though the team option is pretty high, so it's likely not used)

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

Shelton WAS a first rounder. He has one official year on his contract left, with one team option after that (though the team option is pretty high, so it's likely not used)

Yea- I went back and edited that. I thought he was drafted 2016 and in 2nd round. Either way I still make that trade in a heartbeat

8 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

We didn't re-sign Spencer Long?  Why not?  Injury?  I thought he was good last year, but I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast so he coulda sucked balls.

Probably cause Long got $7 million a year. If Long wasn't a Redskin and just some team's other free agent, would you want the team to sign a player like him for that much? It's not really that different from signing Shawn Lauvao

8 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Any game that follows a similar script is going to be tough on our offense. It’s not about Kirk, Alex, Jay, McVay, whoever. It’s tough when you’re not getting possessions consistently, sitting on the bench for 6-8 minutes at a time, and doing that against a defense that can completely shut down your own rushing attack. I don’t see anyone doing well in that scenario, so it’s no surprise to me that that’s exactly what happened in both games. 

A team like the Giants who suck at running the ball should not have been able to. It’s inexcusable. And it absolutely affected and impacted the performance of everyone else offensively. 

In the end, we both agree that the run defense needs to be fixed immediately. It’s the biggest problem. You’re just going to have to forgive me for seeing it as such in those Giants’ games, as well. :) 

Sign Hankins! 

This all very relevant to my thoughts about FA and the draft. 

But the Carolina and Giants game in 2016 bring home my thoughts about FA.  Some act like those should have been gimmie games.  But this team has really struggled against monster D line teams like what both teams were that year.    Carolina shut down Kelley to about 1 yard a carry -- that's insane.  We couldn't run against the Giants either.  Then both teams just unleashed their pass rush and Kirk was frazzled.     If you guys recall what was Kirk's worse game in 2015?  The one against the Jets.  Again they were beat up by a big D line and made one dimensional. 

We need to have a D line like that.  Also we can't have a Jag running the ball against big time D lines.  Yeah on occasion a Kelley type will have a nice game and even so against a good defensive front.  But its rare.  If we are playing Green Bay in the playoffs in the cold of the winter is a guy like Kelley going to make the offense multi-dimensional?  I doubt it.  Ultimately GB will shut down the run and just unleash their pass rush.

That's my long winded way of saying.  If this team fixes their run game and upgraded the D line -- the sky's the limit.  If they don't I think we are going to stick to this 8-8 trend.  Because yeah you can beat teams without a run game and a monster d line but you are playing shorthanded that way against teams which have both assets.  And, once you start playing the big boys especially in the playoffs, they will likely destroy you.  I recall looking it up just about every playoff team had a really good defense and running game.  No coincidence.  

I think the NFL needs to re-evaluate the cap with the idea of exemptions.

Feel if you drafted talent you should be allowed to retain with cap forgiveness. This years class for the Redskins are a prime example of the turnover due to rookie wage scale and FA. 

Our 2014 draft was very good in retrospect. We now have basically 4 players that fetched good contracts (some voided subsequently, but still) that we could never have competed with. Further, we all know these guys aren't great.

I feel that NFL should allow for certain 'cap forgiveness' if you resign an original draft pick. Frankly, I'd love to have kept Long and Grant. And be awarded 10 million in cap forgiveness for both of them. Fans would be rewarded for following players through their career, teams would be rewarded for good draft acumen and players still can get top value. 

John Keim Retweeted Chick Hernandez

Perhaps I read this wrong but I think this means he'd like u To hit him up every 10 minutes.

John Keim added,

Chick HernandezVerified account @CHICKatNBCS
Bunch of dudes visiting Redskins park today, we should know something by afternoon. How’s that.
4 replies3 retweets31 likes

5 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I think the NFL needs to re-evaluate the cap with the idea of exemptions.

Feel if you drafted talent you should be allowed to retain with cap forgiveness. This years class for the Redskins are a prime example of the turnover due to rookie wage scale and FA. 

Our 2014 draft was very good in retrospect. We now have basically 4 players that fetched good contracts (some voided subsequently, but still) that we could never have competed with. Further, we all know these guys aren't great.

I feel that NFL should allow for certain 'cap forgiveness' if you resign an original draft pick. Frankly, I'd love to have kept Long and Grant. And be awarded 10 million in cap forgiveness for both of them. Fans would be rewarded for following players through their career, teams would be rewarded for good draft acumen and players still can get top value. 

I'd be for this. Maybe something as simple as a "drafted" player's salary counts 3/4s against their cap. Sure, that would hurt teams that draft poorly historically, but I miss the days of players sticking with their team's.

If that's no good then some kind of Larry Byrd exemption where you can choose two or three players on your roster who you either drafted or have played with you for several years that just don't count at all against your cap.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'd be for this. Maybe something as simple as a "drafted" player's salary counts 3/4s against their cap. Sure, that would hurt teams that draft poorly historically, but I miss the days of players sticking with their team's.

If that's no good then some kind of Larry Byrd exemption where you can choose two or three players on your roster who you either drafted or have played with you for several years that just don't count at all against your cap.

Absolutely... I think this (either option) is more than fair and puts emphasis on draft. Fans need to get back to rooting for 'core players'. It shouldn't be an anomaly for a player to play his whole career for a team. 

Also, its not like the Redskins have made bad decisions with their contracts. I posted earlier that we basically have allocated our cap with appropriate blue chip talent. We shouldn't have to release 4 home grown talents. We're not straddled with dead cap space or aging contracts.

Imaging tying a 'Bird exemption' to Cousins. The message board would have about 100K less posts over the past 2 years, But also, with the reports he was 'going medium', we may have seen the supposed real Kurt Cousins. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley on looking on Hankins film. They need to be serious about signing him.  Brings burst up the middle, splits double teams well.  "He's a beast".  Shuts down the run.  They need a guy like that. 

I don't need to look at the film per se, just need to review who was last in NFL in rush defense last year.

Oh yea, us

McPhee is an interesting one - Older guy coming off a knee injury last year but by all accounts a big locker room voice (if this is not a prod to Junior I am not sure what is) - I would prefer to wait for Junior but equally I would be more confident if we could get someone in to add to the OLB rotation. - maybe a Lorenzo Carter or Josh Sweat in the later rounds. 

But I hope if we did sign Hankins we would not shy away from another DT in the early rounds 

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley on looking on Hankins film. They need to be serious about signing him.  Brings burst up the middle, splits double teams well.  "He's a beast".  Shuts down the run.  They need a guy like that. 

Well if the GM says so ... 

I'm just gonna throw out a word of caution for all these posts I see saying we gotta get Hankins, and Bruce is a douche if he doesn't make this happen, or I'll quit the Skins if they don't get Hankins. There are always two sides to any negotiation.

Now, I'd LOVE to add Jonathan Hankins. I rate him higher than Suh based on the fact that he is 5 1/2 years younger, and very close in ability, but what if he's asking for $15 per year? Do you do THAT deal? I don't. There has to be a value line.

I rate Logan and Williams below Suh and Hankins, but if you can get one of them for $5 yearly as opposed to using up all your remaining cap space on Hankins, do you do that? These are the big decisions that must be made. I want Hankins as much as the next guy, but it's gotta be at a workable number.

4 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

- I would prefer to wait for Junior but equally I would be more confident if we could get someone in to add to the OLB rotation. - maybe a Lorenzo Carter 

Big fan of Carter. Think he could be a huge day 3 value pick for someone.

Archived