Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

3 hours ago, DiscoBob said:

It's not the $$$ or skill set with Galette.  It's injury likelihood...plain and simple.  For him to act like he isn't high risk in that regard is myopic.

The thing with Galette though was despite his lack of sack numbers, he was near the top of the league in QB pressures despite being a part timer..

6 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

The thing with Galette though was despite his lack of sack numbers, he was near the top of the league in QB pressures despite being a part timer..

I agree that he is an asset worth having, but you still have to weigh it against injury risk - which is high, given the past 3 years.

1 minute ago, DiscoBob said:

I agree that he is an asset worth having, but you still have to weigh it against injury risk - which is high, given the past 3 years.

Thus why they haven't nor has any other team paid thus far big money or a multi year deal for him.  Sad for him but true.

39 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I'd like Galette back.  You bring him back and sign Hankins to me its a home run FA class.  And IMO we've not had a home run FA season yet under Bruce.  So for me if they pull off that feat. I'd be jazzed.  But I am not counting my chickens, yet. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd like Galette back.  You bring him back and sign Hankins to me its a home run FA class.  And IMO we've not had a home run FA season yet under Bruce.  So for me if they pull off that feat. I'd be jazzed.  But I am not counting my chickens, yet. 

Hypothetical.  Let's say the Skins sign both of them.  What positions would you draft in the 1st, then 2nd?  I know a lot of people say BPA.

Are visits really necessary, I mean what’s the point doesn’t the players agent tell the G.M the price,There looking for and I would assume the G.M thinks that a deal can get done why bring a player in just to low ball can’t they do that over the phone seems like a waste of everybody’s time 

2 minutes ago, redskin301 said:

Are visits really necessary, I mean what’s the point doesn’t the players agent tell the G.M the price,There looking for and I would assume the G.M thinks that a deal can get done why bring a player in just to low ball can’t they do that over the phone seems like a waste of everybody’s time 

Not that easy nor should it be. The players come to meet the coaches other players, see the facilities, get to know the city if they have not been here. I would guess they have already had some preliminary numbers discussions. Also, he can't sign if he is not here. And until it's signed nothing is done - See Breeland, Grant and it looks like possibly Teddy Bridgewater - no announced signing for him. And the Jets just made a huge trade to get to 3rd in the draft. 

21 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hypothetical.  Let's say the Skins sign both of them.  What positions would you draft in the 1st, then 2nd?  I know a lot of people say BPA.

I am obsessive in FA to upgrade at WR and DT. 

As for the draft, I am obsessive about RB.   Ideally, I'd trade back and take either Michel, Guice, R. Jones.  If they stay put at #1 it might be too rich for those RBs at 13.  If so in the 2nd, I'd think between Penny, K, Johnson, S. Michel.  As for the first in that case, I am not sure.  I suspect we will get a surprise drop and maybe Ward or Fitzpatrick lands there.  I've on the draft thread initially been a big D. James guy.  But I go back and forth on him.  He's intriguing though.

One thing I like about Doug is there seems to be no subterfuge about him.  So if he's saying WR and DT -- he means it.  As for the draft, he's been telegraphing RB whereas some beat guys are saying they are hearing from FO guys (Doug again?) that LG is high on their list in the draft.  So if they sign Hankins, my best guess is they go RB and OG.  Not sure in what in order.  If they don't sign Hankins or another DT, I'd guess Vea or Payne in the first and best RB available or guard in the 2nd.  

To me Hankins is a game changer potentially because it really frees them up in the draft.  Seems almost too good to be true - that's why I don't want to get my hopes up too high here.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

Had me until this. Due tell how does the fact that the Giants ran for a season high over 250 rushing yards the last game he QB'd explain Cousins under 200 passing yards and 3 INT game against a 1-14 ball club? That was Cousins worst professional game ever played and had nothing to do with the fact that they ran the ball down our throats.

Of course it did. Cousins played poorly, but how anyone can remove anything about the offense’s performance from what the opposing offense is doing in terms of time of possession, keeping our offense off the field and gashing our defense simply doesn’t understand the nature of football as a team sport. 

Let me ask you, to put it as simple as possible, but can you explain to me how the three phases of football are interdependent? With your other comments in this post it seems like you grasp that. 

If you can answer it properly, you should have no problem understanding how the Giants rushing the ball effectively and playing keep away affected the entire offense, including Kirk. It’s really an obvious aspect of football. Teams have always game planned against good to great QBs that way if they could. Many a playoff games have been lost because of this by some of the best QBs in the game. 

Now, I never said it was the only factor or that Kirk was fine otherwise. But do I believe that, eventually, they would’ve clicked and figured something out if the defense kept getting the Giants off the field more consistently? Absolutely. Why wouldn’t I? Our offense rarely gets stifled for long periods of time. 

Especially because the Giants, at both points, were playing very sound defense and were able to completely shut down our running game. If we were to have any chance it would’ve came via Kirk and the passing attack, which needed more opportunities.

If you recall, the first game against the Giants last season on thanksgiving followed a similar script. Offense struggled to move the ball or put up points the first three quarters of the game. What was the difference? Our defense held them in check and kept getting the ball to the offense. We scored the final 10 points as the 4th quarter wound down and won 20-10. 

So, yeah, I think a more sound run defense would’ve aided Kirk and the passing attack enough to beat the Giants both times simply by virtue of more opportunities. And if anyone thinks Alex is going to do better with the same supporting cast, all I’ve got to do is point to his own game against the Giants last season where they lost 12-9. Yes, 12 to friggin 9. In over time.  Their defense held the Giants to 9 points for 4 quarters and consistently got them off the field all game, but their offense could only muster 9 points throughout. 

Fix the run defense, and it’ll elevate the entire team. And, yes, it’ll help the offense immensely because it’ll mean more opportunities for them. Even if they don’t succeed with those opportunities, you can even overcome a totally bad performance at times and win a defensive battle. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am obsessive in FA to upgrade at WR and DT. 

As for the draft, I am obsessive about RB.   Ideally, I'd trade back and take either Michel, Guice, R. Jones.  If they stay put at #1 it might be rich for those guys.  If so in the 2nd, I'd think between Penny, K, Johnson, S. Michel.  As for the first in that case, I am not sure.  I suspect we will get a surprise drop and maybe Ward or Fitzpatrick lands there.  I've on the draft thread initially been a big D. James guy.  But I go back and forth on him. 

One thing I like about Doug is there seems to be no subterfuge about him.  So if he's saying WR and DT -- he means it.  As for the draft, he's been telegraphing RB whereas some FO guys (Doug again?) seem to be suggesting LG in the draft.  So if they sign Hankins, my best guess is they go RB and OG.  Not sure in what in order.  If they don't sign Hankins or another DT, I'd guess Vea or Payne in the first and best RB available or guard in the 2nd.  

To me Hankins is a game changer potentially because it really frees them up in the draft.  Seems almost too good to be true - that's why I don't want to get my hopes up too high here.

I don' want to get mine up either. :)

8 minutes ago, WorshiptheMonk81 said:

The suspense is killin me! This is the exact type of guy we need to fill one of the biggest holes on the team. I keep checking this thread in hopes of something positive happening. I'd be really really surprised if we let Hankins get away unsigned. 

I wouldn't be surprised in the least, but I would be highly disappointed.

As others have said, signing Hankins is a no brainer. Having Hankins, Allen, and Ioanidis up front would be the most talented D-Line we have had since Bowen Hatcher and Cofield and way better than that even. 

Then in the draft, I think I'm leaning toward trading slightly back to recoup at least the third rounder we lost from the Smith trade and targeting Guice or Taven Bryan. Probably Guice in that scenario but can never have enough interior rush. Only way I don't trade out of that spot is if  Smith James or Ward are there. But yeah signing Hankins really frees you up in the draft, and that's the mark of a team with not many holes. It's been a long time since we've been able to say that. 

54 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

And until it's signed nothing is done - See Breeland, Grant and it looks like possibly Teddy Bridgewater - no announced signing for him. And the Jets just made a huge trade to get to 3rd in the draft. 

Jets annnounced on their twitter page today the Teddy Bridgewater sighing, just 4 hours ago :P 

1 hour ago, redskin301 said:

Well for starters, we don’t have a GM. 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Jets annnounced on their twitter page today the Teddy Bridgewater sighing, just 4 hours ago :P 

Fair enough. I have been on the golf course all day. Just got back a little while ago. I am glad they did not go the dirty route. 

On 3/17/2018 at 6:33 AM, RWJ said:

When they frustrate me, I go outside and work or find something else to do rather than get upset with them.  I root hard for the team and want them to win.  But think it wise to now extend those players because their prices are going to go through the roof when they become FA.  Why not do it now.

I think that those guys have leverage right now regardless. Understand that you'll always get more $ when you hit FA, so why would Smith consider signing a LTD here when he knows if blows up he's going to get paid bigger. Everyone just saw Kirk do it here.

Archived