Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

10 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Those are separate questions.  Yes, lots of people perceive Trump as "gettin stuff done".  

They probably cant answer the second one with anything that would be accepted as a positive from anyone other than themselves.  

Those aren't separate questions.  If he is getting stuff done, there must be stuff.  What is the stuff?

4 minutes ago, twa said:

There is quite a bit of stuff getting done, both good and bad(depending on your view)

Regulations are most certainly.and of course the tax breaks/hikes

quite a few moves overseas as well

So here's my point.  He's directed his people to "deregulate" but that has only happened in fits and starts.  I work in government regulations.  Everything I deal with is exactly the same (in the financial services/CFPB realm) except the Payday Lender Rule got repealed before it became effective and, now, we end the exact same conversations we were having in 2016 with "but who knows wtf Mulvaney will do."  All of the regs that were on the books in 2016 are still on the books.  ALL OF THEM.   

Moves overseas?  What?  You mean starting a trade war?  I mean, I guess that's "doing stuff" if you take it at face value and don't believe he's doing it to take the focus off his many ongoing scandals AND ignore that the stuff he did 4 weeks ago he's now undoing (like TPP).  Are you really doing stuff if there is no net effect?

I think the "he's gettin' stuff done" perception is 100% based on Trump's supporters tendency to hold him to the lowest possible standard.  Are things happening?  Yes.  Would any other minimally competent human being holding the office of President while his party has a majority in both houses of Congress have accomplished MUCH MUCH MUCH more?  Also yes.  This is why I remain an opponent of impeaching Trump; he's phenomenally ineffective.  

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Those aren't separate questions.  If he is getting stuff done, there must be stuff.  What is the stuff?

You took out the words "people perceive".

If you are asking what those people are perceiving, I can only guess on a few.  They probably perceive that he is bringing manufacturing jobs back.  They probably perceive that he is getting out of foreign entanglements and that doing so is a good thing.  They probably perceive him as sticking it to the people that they despise.

Right, and I wasn't suggesting Trump isn't doing literally anything.  What I mean is the narrative he has been pushing. That the economy was in shambles on his way in and he somehow turned things around instantly.  There is no basis in reality for anything he has said in regards to his narrative on the economy which would lead anyone with half a brain to come to the conclusion he is being honest about it.   He has been out-right lying about the reality of economy since his campaign, and his lies continue to this day except the context of his lies simply changed from, "the job numbers are fake" to "I am the reason why the job numbers are so good" It's a simple bait-and-switch move, and a lot of people fell for it. Rather easily.

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

If you are asking what those people are perceiving, I can only guess on a few.  They probably perceive that he is bringing manufacturing jobs back.  They probably perceive that he is getting out of foreign entanglements and that doing so is a good thing.  They probably perceive him as sticking it to the people that they despise.

That's fair.  It's an admission that his supporters are naive/unsophisticated/deliberately obtuse, but it's a fair point.  

29 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

That's fair.  It's an admission that his supporters are naive/unsophisticated/deliberately obtuse, but it's a fair point.  

I think a lot of them know their positions are fake.  But they hate the left so much that they hold to them anyway.  

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

Because those are the lies he keeps spouting.

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

They are probably also enjoying the agony of the left.  "We know Trump is a crummy presdident, but so were all the Dem presidents and Trump makes the Dems go bonkers, so at least there's that" mentality.

I've literally seen posters, in this "overrun by liberals" forum, come right out and make statements along the lines of "I really enjoy watching liberals getting hurt by the sight of our President endorsing the Nazis marching in our streets."  

It's like "Well, yeah, Trump dropped a nuke on Chicago to try to distract the voters from how crooked he is.  But I sure do enjoy watching the liberals saying that it harmed the country."  

7 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think the "he's gettin' stuff done" perception is 100% based on Trump's supporters tendency to hold him to the lowest possible standard.  Are things happening?  Yes.  Would any other minimally competent human being holding the office of President while his party has a majority in both houses of Congress have accomplished MUCH MUCH MUCH more?  Also yes.  This is why I remain an opponent of impeaching Trump; he's phenomenally ineffective.  

And why I'm fine with impeaching him :ols:

btw....how are the Dems doing on DACA?

I'd have a lot more sympathy for the GOP goo who hate being called stupid if I hadn't been paying attention for the past decade. I'm more than willing to not say that sort of thing... they're going to have to meet me halfway though and stop being so ****ing stupid.

By the way, nobody gives the GOP base less credit than the GOP leadership. They're not even trying to camouflage their bull**** anymore... "Uh... Trump is running a scandal free oval office and it's a witch hunt... Lying' Comey crime family... Whatabout Clinton and let's give the teachers guns. Amen."  

15 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Do people perceive Trump as "gettin' stuff done"?  What stuff?  

Dems have zero levers of power, who expects them to do anything?

They do perceive it. I hear it often from fellow conservatives. "Oh, he's done more for pro-life causes than any other President in a long time." or "He's finally playing hard ball with China." etc. Perception is reality to most people. That includes all of us at some point, to think otherwise is naive.

I found this article that looks to be fairly neutral, its from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38663043

On 4/12/2018 at 11:55 PM, twa said:

btw....how are the Dems doing on DACA?

Better if we could even get a vote on the floor.

On 4/12/2018 at 5:36 PM, Kilmer17 said:

I think a lot of them know their positions are fake.  But they hate the left so much that they hold to them anyway.  

The very tribalism Washington warned us about has come home to roost, no other way around it.

Archived