Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

What the Redskins FO(????) have to do is as soon as the season is over they have to get Cousin's situation resolved either way asap. Surely even Snyder realises the quicker it's sorted the better it is for planning what to do with the team for 18. We will have either $50m plus cap without him or about $25m with him signed, just sort it Snyder.

HTTR 

After reading through contract numbers for quarterbacks on spotrac.com I'm not at all confident a transition tag can keep Cousins here.  The transition tag amounts to 28.8 million for one year, and that might sound like a very large number but look at this: 

Ben Roethlisberger makes an average of 21 million a year, but his first year (2015) paid out 35.2 million. 

Matt Stafford makes an average of 27 million, but his cash payout this season is 51 million. 

Drew Brees makes an average of 24.5, but the first year cash payout (2016) was 31.25 million. 

Aaron Rogers makes an average of 22, but the first year cash payout (2013) was 38.25.

It's not at all uncommon to see very large 1st year cash payments followed by smaller sums for the subsequent years of the deal.  28.8 million for one year doesn't look like much of an obstacle.  Front loading the contract might be the way other teams would prefer to structure the deal with or without a transition tag to outbid.

18 minutes ago, Destino said:

It's not at all uncommon to see very large 1st year cash payments followed by smaller sums for the subsequent years of the deal.  28.8 million for one year doesn't look like much of an obstacle.  Front loading the contract might be the way other teams would prefer to structure the deal with or without a transition tag to outbid.

Just to tag onto this, ESPN has an article out today suggesting the Jags could easily do what you're saying here.

The Jaguars, for example, could cut quarterback Blake Bortles, running back Chris Ivory and receiver Allen Hurns, and restructure defensive tackle Malik Jackson's deal, and carve out $72 million in cap space. They could offer Cousins a deal with a huge 2018 roster bonus and base salary and eat an enormous cap charge in excess of $50 million in doing so, which Washington wouldn't be able to match without gutting the rest of its team. 

Full story is here: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21832292/2018-nfl-quarterback-dominoes-players-change-teams-offseason-why

Article also goes on and lists all the QBs that could be on the move this offseason.  Was an interesting read.

12 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Interesting Cousins article from the Denver media.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/broncos-case-for-kirk-cousins

This is another article where they refer to Cousins as an elite QB.

It's amusing to me how it seems the only people who don't think he is elite (or at least capable of taking a team to the SB) are Redskins fans.  It's because some Redskins fans believe in some unicorn QB that will play 100% mistake free that we're waiting out on, and they think we'll be able to just draft it easily.  Completely mind boggling.

50 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

Just to tag onto this, ESPN has an article out today suggesting the Jags could easily do what you're saying here.

This is what myself and others have been talking about re the Transition tag. But if it were me structuring a Cousins offer sheet that the Skins couldn't match, I want big numbers the first two years, say 40 mil in both 2018 and '19. Given the contract we have right now, there is really no way to restructure existing deals to fit that Cousins under our cap. It would require a really crippling series of moves to match that.

18 minutes ago, purbeast said:

It's amusing to me how it seems the only people who don't think he is elite (or at least capable of taking a team to the SB) are Redskins fans.  It's because some Redskins fans believe in some unicorn QB that will play 100% mistake free that we're waiting out on, and they think we'll be able to just draft it easily.  Completely mind boggling.

In a way, I get it.  This fan base is so battered and bruised, it doesn't really know what's what anymore.  Kirk, while I believe he's more than good enough to win with, the least of our issues and deserving of a LTD, simply lacks the flash that catches the eye of a lot of football fans.  I think it was Cowherd that referred to Cousins as 'oatmeal' as if that's a bad thing.  Oatmeal, while not looking that appetizing, has a hell of a lot of nutritional value.  Kirk is a lot like that, he doesn't 'look' dreamy but he gets the job done, brings tremendous value and fills a need.

I'd be willing to bet that if Kirk's passing #'s were less, but he ran more and made more highlight plays with escapability, these fans would eat it up.  I become more convinced every season that nothing gets the fans gears revved up like escaping danger and making a play.  While he's done more of that this season, it's simply not enough to satisfy the hunger. 

The Russell Wilson effect.  Kirk has better numbers and is way more consistent but RW puts on a show.  In truth I am pretty sure Kirk could have won a SB with the Legion of Boom in its prime but the fans who are dazzled by shiny things will never be convinced that he is every bit as valuable in the position as Wilson.

Von Miller

On if QB Kirk Cousins is hard to face from a pass-rushing standpoint:

“I mean, he’s getting the ball off pretty quick. He’s an elite quarterback. Whenever you go against elite quarterbacks, they always are aware of sacks and where they are in the pocket. He’s going to be aware of that and, yeah, he’s got a great offensive line too. Yes, it should be another tough game.”

Sure, you can call it typical, mid week presser fluff.  But I'd be willing to bet that Miller isn't calling every QB they face each week - elite, just to butter them up.

47 minutes ago, purbeast said:

This is another article where they refer to Cousins as an elite QB.

And then not pay the unicorn market value when he is due cause that will cripple the team. Just need to move on and get somebody in the draft. Maybe the future bust from Wyoming.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Von Miller

“I mean, he’s getting the ball off pretty quick. He’s an elite quarterback. Whenever you go against elite quarterbacks, they always are aware of sacks and where they are in the pocket. He’s going to be aware of that and, yeah, he’s got a great offensive line too. Yes, it should be another tough game.”

Sure, you can call it typical, mid week presser fluff.  But I'd be willing to bet that Miller isn't calling every QB they face each week - elite, just to butter them up.

But hey, apparently Danny and Bruce know better, as has shown with their impeccable track record.

The $34.5M tag would really screw our cap.  Not only is it probably overpaying compared to the market price for Kirk, but the cap hit all has to be taken in 2018. 

On a long term deal, you would structure it so Kirk gets paid well up front but the hardest part of the cap hit comes far in the future. His cap hit in 2018 and 2019 could be in the $20M range, giving us plenty of room to compete.

11 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

The $34.5M tag would really screw our cap.  Not only is it probably overpaying compared to the market price for Kirk, but the cap hit all has to be taken in 2018. 

Which is EXACTLY why this is the most likely outcome that will happen with this FO.

On 12/10/2017 at 10:57 AM, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I would want him under what that kid from the Raiders got, which I think is more than fair, and I would tell his agent I am not paying him 35m next year on the tag so you better get a deal done.

Have you watched Carr this year?  The league has figured him out.  Heck, our defense was the first to demonstrate his weaknesses.  He's not as dominant anymore.  With far more challenges and obstacles (not to mention nothing to work with as far as skill players go) Kirk has played way better than Carr! (Not talking #'s - I'm talking handling the position)  Kirk's not taking less than the Carr deal.  It would have to be the Carr deal with some extras to sign Kirk to a LTD. 

On 12/19/2017 at 3:21 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't pretend to be smarter than Jay and I understand you have to run the ball to keep the opposing defense somewhat honest.

With that said, I'm with you on this.  While everyone else is whining that Jay is a quitter, consistently mediocre, etc. I'm over here like "STOP TRYING TO RUN THE DAMN BALL".  He talks a lot about the &long situations stalling our offense but that starts with trying to force the run.  I'm really curious what Kirk has at his disposal as far as ability to get out of some of those run calls that are obviously not going to work.

To drill down a bit what you should be yelling is "STOP TRYING TO RUN THE DAMN BALL FROM A TIGHT FORMATION!"  The blocking of the receivers and Tight ends is a complete joke.  I know that the run game is Callahan's baby but Jay needs to remind him who is the boss.  Just spread out your receivers.  Let Kirk decide what his numbers are.  Six in the box?  Run.  Seven plus?  Pass.  It really is that freakin simple! 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Von Miller

Cousins is elite. Game recognizes game.

I think Cousins, like Norma, will opt to leave the Redskins this year.  A franchise tag is too expensive, and theres just no reason to stay.  He has a good offensive line, but hes got no running game, oft-injured receivers, and a bad defense.  Both of them can play for contenders, and theres no reason to believe anything will change next year.

Its one thing if you have a front office you like that can convince you to stay with mediocraty, but we have Bruce Allen, who according to reports(that Cousins half denied) he hates.

I'll tell everyone right now, Kurt's market took massive blow in past 2 weeks.

Between Jimmy in SFO and Bortles in Jax, he can start looking at real estate in Cleveland (with no guarantee they would even want him) and NYJ (most likely landing spot at this point). Denver probably has more calculated plan and I can't be sure KC is even on their radar.

Point being, Skin's may have lucked into stronger market than anyone expected with 2 teams, SFO/Jax, that appeared to be big players likely out of the mix. Further, now the FA's available probably all have a similar, if not better, resume or value.

Just Wow, KC might not be in the league next year if he isn't willing to take a pay cut. Call me crazy... cue the instaquotes calling me crazy

I don't think Blake Bortles is a lock to stay in Jacksonville by any stretch of the imagination.  If he defies all odds and continues this streak of play into the playoffs, that's a different story.  Big if though.

2 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Just Wow, KC might not be in the league next year if he isn't willing to take a pay cut. Call me crazy... cue the instaquotes calling me crazy

...and I don't know about crazy, I'm more inclined to go with delusional and out of touch with reality.

Blake Bortles lost his best WR and has a bunch of JAG's and is doing everything you would want a QB on a team with top D to do. 2 years ago, Bortles was the D. Carr of the league. Guys regress occasionally but once Fournette appeared, things changed.

For me, KC is not irreplaceable for cheaper. Look at potential available QB's... Brees, E. Manning (most certainly), Bortles, Keenum, Garrapolo, Bradford, Dalton (most certainly). Everybody on this list is either better than KC or has better value compared to talent. 

If I were Kurt's agent, I wouldn't think I could command and dictate terms. I know if I were BA and Doug Williams, I'd be looking elsewhere and not very worried about the outcome

If the Jaguars let Bortles walk for 20 mil next year to pay KC 27-30 mil, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

14 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Pay cut on the way? :ols:  The hottest rumor of late is Denver.  Jets.  A guy who covered the Cardinals was on the radio today and expressed they might have interest.  I wish you were right and there is a vacuum of suitors but that would defy the litany of articles we've read from NFL insiders. 

Any season ticket holders here?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/12/21/in-survey-redskins-ask-fans-for-their-level-of-confidence-in-teams-executives/?utm_term=.6b91f06eb1ee

If so, for those who aren't happy with the Kirk negotiation, I hope you all express it.  Multiple beat guys have expressed that the front office is concerned about fan sentiment on the issue.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pay cut on the way? :ols:  The hottest rumor of late is Denver.

Call me crazy... Denver is the only team I won't predict because Elway is unpredictable with QBs. But if I had to bet, KC ain't even near Elway's radar. I'd be more willing to bet  Osweiler is higher on his board than KC right now.

Garrapolo or Brees will be NFL's highest paid player next year. KC will be the Bronze vs also ran

Archived