Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

C.  Maybe there is 2 QBs in the league that can thrive without any run game

Your post was so good it doesn't even need replied, but I will add: When the good QBs don't have a run game, they stop trying to run the damn ball. 

I'm so sick of seeing 2nd and 9 multiple times per drive.

4 hours ago, Alexa said:

Snyder needs to sit down w/ Cousins w/out agents and talk it out.

His agent wouldn't allow that.

1 minute ago, Tsailand said:

Your post was so good it doesn't even need replied, but I will add: When the good QBs don't have a run game, they stop trying to run the damn ball. 

I'm so sick of seeing 2nd and 9 multiple times per drive.

I don't pretend to be smarter than Jay and I understand you have to run the ball to keep the opposing defense somewhat honest.

With that said, I'm with you on this.  While everyone else is whining that Jay is a quitter, consistently mediocre, etc. I'm over here like "STOP TRYING TO RUN THE DAMN BALL".  He talks a lot about the &long situations stalling our offense but that starts with trying to force the run.  I'm really curious what Kirk has at his disposal as far as ability to get out of some of those run calls that are obviously not going to work.

53 minutes ago, Garcon More Wine said:

trash is hyperbole on my part, but we dont have any above average skill players right now.  reed and thompson are the only special guys we had, both lost to injury.  every WR we have is average at best, to very below average, and every starting RB we have is poor.

outside of cousins and our oline, our offensive skill players are a non factor.  put it this way, if you were a defensive coordinator, what player would you truly be concerned about gashing you?  whos the guy on this offense teams have to plan for?  again it was thompson, but if your 3rd down running back is your top guy, thats a huge problem.  reed has been that guy, but he was a non factor all year due to injury.

This year was painful in a number of ways and it (understandably) colors our view of the roster/individual players.  

Prior to this year, for example, we had ample evidence that Reed and Crowder were among the best at their positions.  Sure didn’t show this year though.  Ditto the oline - we knew they (as a whole) were good, but injuries turned it into one (of many) weaknesses.  

So here are some good things that came from this disaster:

Cousins can still (mostly) play at a high level with a very poor supporting cast.  

We’ve found some difference makers in Thompson, Ioannidas, Fuller, Allen and Brown.  

We’ve seen some intriguing things from certain backups - Dunbar, Nicholson, Perine, Roullier, Lanier and Vigil.  

We added some talented coaches in Tomsula and Gray.  

Long story short, although this was (or least seems) a major step back for the team, I think it could (depending on the offseason) actually be a step forward.  We learned some things that, for the most part, make the things that need to be addressed a bit easier.  Bring back some key FAs, add what we can in FA, and draft some more talented youth that we can coach up.  

We’re far closer than this year has shown to being a good defense, and I think we’re a receiver away from being a good (if unbalanced) offense.  1-3 additions/changes and I think we can be a solid running team.  I believe those things are attainable.  Heck, even having 2 of those (more than just the flashes we saw) likely means we’d be in the playoffs this year, despite the difficult schedule.  

I, for one, am really hoping we get to see Cousins (as a Redskin) with a healthier and much improved defense, a healthier oline, a better run game, and better/healthier weapons than he had this year.  Think the FO owes us (and Cousins really) that opportunity.  

Edit:  whoops, apparently should have said “Long story longer”

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Because I like Cooley and trust him, especially on scouting TEs, I'd draft that TE he keeps raving about from some mid-west school.  Wisconsin maybe?  I think he's targeted as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. If at all possible I'd trade Reed for a conditional 14th round pick. 

Troy Fumagalli, TE from Wisconsin. Can block, can catch. Yeah Cooley just obliterates the TEs especially Vernon Davis in his film reviews. 

31 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

His agent wouldn't allow that.

It's not his agent's decision.  Not saying it would happen, because Kirk might not want it to.  But the agent works for the player.  Not the other way around.  

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Troy Fumagalli, TE from Wisconsin. Can block, can catch. Yeah Cooley just obliterates the TEs especially Vernon Davis in his film reviews. 

And every time he obliterates Vernon, he says, "I like Vernon.  He's my guy."

I said previously that if you are a TE who won't/can't block, then I have no need for you unless you are Gronk.  (And Gronk can block, at least a bit).  

I would have released VD 2 weeks ago.  Just to make a point.  But that's me.  

Given our blocking issues from our TEs, Reed’s injury history, Vernon’s age, Sprinkle’s youth, my desire to find a TE with more potential than Paul, and our propensity to heavily utilize 2TE sets... I’d be all for drafting that guy.  

I’d do something a little different though.  

Keep 4 TEs next year. It means paying Reed a lot of money, but it would be a hell of a combination.  I’d push off the decision on Davis and Reed to next year as you roll with a lot of depth, let the rook develop, and have a pair of dangerous pass catchers to fill the #2 TE spot.  

Now if keeping Reed at that point costs you a good starting guard, NT or receiver in FA... well that’s maybe a different story... and that’s the crux of it of course.  I think we can address much of what we need or want by re-signing our guys, adding a piece or two in FA, and finding a solid starter or two in the draft.    Won’t answer everything, I’m sure, but we can take another step forward.   

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I said previously that if you are a TE who won't/can't block, then I have no need for you unless you are Gronk.

100% disagree.  I just won't leave you in to block.  Split you out on run plays, make someone follow you.  Give you a few less snaps.

I want the run game improved but I don’t know if the issue has been the backs, the OL, TE, scheme, the lack of commitment to run or some combo.  I don’t where the leverage points are to fix it but fixing it is priority #1.  Next is the receivers,  we need a #1 receiver because Pryor busted and Doctson isn’t that much of a force and a young TE that can block.

This is the list if Cousins returns.  If Kirk is gone it doesn’t matter who they draft but every seat in the stadium ought to come with a few paper bags per game so ashamed fans can cover themselves or use while vomiting.

13 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I think when a team shells out big bucks for a QB the mindset is "we are ready to compete for a superbowl or deep playoff run" The skins are nowhere near this.

It also puts the heat back directly on Bruce and Doug. You hear all the time about Packers fans complaining about their formerly known as a genius GM, now he sucks because apparently Rodgers get no help. I guess they don't watch too many Redskins games. Cousins is playing with mostly guys cut Wk4 of the preseason and still puts up top 10 QB numbers.

Keim wrote a great article about the fan malaise and how we reached this point.  He focuses on 3 key things -- rise and fall of RG3, Scot McCloughan firing and Kirk.

Here's part of the Kirk narrative

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35051/slow-erosion-of-redskins-fan-base-stems-from-years-of-disappointment

...The result: Two years of debate over what happened, who was at fault and how much is he really worth. It's led to intense nitpicking over every single pass. Was that a $30 million throw? Or a $20 million one? Or less?

It's exhausting and unhealthy, regardless of blame. For some, it was hard to invest belief in the Redskins' future. If quarterback is the most important piece, then who would be playing there for the foreseeable future? It's hard to find a good quarterback; would the Redskins really let one get away?...

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim wrote a great article about the fan malaise and how we reached this point.  He focuses on 3 key things -- rise and fall of RG3, Scot McCloughan firing and Kirk.

Here's part of the Kirk narrative

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35051/slow-erosion-of-redskins-fan-base-stems-from-years-of-disappointment

...The result: Two years of debate over what happened, who was at fault and how much is he really worth. It's led to intense nitpicking over every single pass. Was that a $30 million throw? Or a $20 million one? Or less?

It's exhausting and unhealthy, regardless of blame. For some, it was hard to invest belief in the Redskins' future. If quarterback is the most important piece, then who would be playing there for the foreseeable future? It's hard to find a good quarterback; would the Redskins really let one get away?...

I don't know if this is really the spot but your link had a video of him front and center, but why is RG3 all of a sudden talking?  I heard him talking on another show like a week or less ago and now he's on ESPN talking to Steven A?

21 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I don't know if this is really the spot but your link had a video of him front and center, but why is RG3 all of a sudden talking?  I heard him talking on another show like a week or less ago and now he's on ESPN talking to Steven A?

Above the Keim article they had the RG3 interview.  I presume they had it there because one of Keim's 3 points centered on the rise and fall of RG3.

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Above the Keim article they had the RG3 interview.  I presume they had it there because one of Keim's 3 points centered on the rise and fall of RG3.

Yeah that is what I'm talking about.  It's from today or yesterday or something.  And last week he was on another show talking about what he thinks the Redskins should do with KC, and talking about his opportunities he had with the Ravens, Chargers, and I think one other team.  I'm just wondering why he is even in the media and relevant right now at the NFL level.   But yeah probably not for this thread.  

I agree with Casserly that some of Kirk's recent comments that it leads to the thought that he's more than cool with staying (presuming the offer is right)

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/charley-casserly-feels-his-gut-kirk-cousins-will-be-back-2018?utm_content=bufferfb35c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This comment below has that vibe, too.  Then we had the continuity makes winners comment.  We had him post on the blog about team chemistry being good.

Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins on the teammates - Trent Williams, Brandon Scherff, Ryan Kerrigan, Zach Brown and Josh Norman -- named to the Pro Bowl, whether as starters, reserves or alternates. "Three of those players were drafted here and two were signed in free agency recently," Cousins said. "It reflects on good decisions by our organization, bringing those guys in and developing them."

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropJohn Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with Casserly that some of Kirk's recent comments that it leads to the thought that he's more than cool with staying (presuming the offer is right)

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/charley-casserly-feels-his-gut-kirk-cousins-will-be-back-2018?utm_content=bufferfb35c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This comment below has that vibe, too.  Then we had the continuity makes winners comment.  We had him post on the blog about team chemistry being good.

Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins on the teammates - Trent Williams, Brandon Scherff, Ryan Kerrigan, Zach Brown and Josh Norman -- named to the Pro Bowl, whether as starters, reserves or alternates. "Three of those players were drafted here and two were signed in free agency recently," Cousins said. "It reflects on good decisions by our organization, bringing those guys in and developing them."

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropJohn Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

I don't know how Kirk Cousins feels all we see is a 100% positive, professional team player who is playing at a high level and providing great leadership down the stretch this season.  As always Kirk says exactly the right thing every time but I don't think you can infer anything about his interest in staying with the team from these statements.   The team has 2 more games and the Skins will get 100% from him until the final whistle because that is the right thing, the honorable thing, the high character way, the Cousins way.  After the season Kirk may want to be with Denver, Jacksonville or another team positioned for success, I would if I was him.

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

I don't know how Kirk Cousins feels all we see is a 100% positive, professional team player who is playing at a high level and providing great leadership down the stretch this season.  As always Kirk says exactly the right thing every time but I don't think you can infer anything about his interest in staying with the team from these statements.   The team has 2 more games and the Skins will get 100% from him until the final whistle because that is the right thing, the honorable thing, the high character way, the Cousins way.  After the season Kirk may want to be with Denver, Jacksonville or another team positioned for success, I would if I was him.

I get your point and I agree that Kirk will say all the right things but he also comes across as an honest dude.  He's said many things in the off season which we put on the Kirk thread that alludes strongly that he sees value in being here.   And some of those comments have been far from vague. 

With all the noise about the contract, I've never seen anything compelling that indicated that the fully guaranteed money in an offer isn't the key sticking point for Kirk. If Bruce budges from being stubborn on that point, I think they secure Kirk.  If they don't, they don't secure him or just rent him for one more season.   

And the fully guaranteed money or lack thereof in an offer, I believe speaks to what Kirk may dislike the most about the front office which is their lack of belief in him. The exit ramps, the he wants to be wanted - all of that stuff we heard in the last off season -- speak to it.  So the idea of him trusting the FO or believing in their competence IMO is interlinked with the contract offer.

Now, I am not saying its everything and it just rides on that alone.  Yeah Kirk's take on Jay, Bruce, Dan, Doug matter.  Ditto the average per year in the offer.  My guess is like any big decision there are multiple things in the soup.  But I am buying into the fully guaranteed money being the lynchpin to this all -- not just because that's what some beat guys alluded to but also because Kirk himself alluded to it. 

When it comes to a big decision, IMO you weigh the pros-and cons.  So to me its plausible for example, that Kirk doesn't like for example Bruce or whatever but likes enough variables otherwise to want to stay. 

The other thing that's been consistently said and I buy this too is that Kirk isn't so in love with this organization that he's giving a hometown discount deal. He's likely more than fine going elsewhere.  But yeah until I see something compelling otherwise, I think if Bruce budges and offers him a market deal -- he takes it.  I have more faith that Kirk takes a market deal though than i do that Bruce offers one. 

My pessimism on this deal is totally driven by the FO not coming through with a serious offer as opposed to them doing so and Kirk turning it down.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking with it.  Will see.:)

15 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Interesting Cousins article from the Denver media.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/broncos-case-for-kirk-cousins

Yeah a lot of recent buzz about Denver's interest in Kirk.  It's depressing to go through. Tyler Polumbus is doing some type of media coverage work for the Broncos and was on 106.7 today talking about Denver's interest.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah a lot of recent buzz about Denver's interest in Kirk.  It's depressing to go through. Tyler Polumbus is doing some type of media coverage work for the Broncos and was on 106.7 today talking about Denver's interest.

I don't want Kirk to leave the Skins but if for whatever reason Kirk moves on I hope he joins a great organization poised for success. 

11 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

I don't want Kirk to leave the Skins but if for whatever reason Kirk moves on I hope he joins a great organization poised for success. 

If he leaves, the reason I'd like to see him have success is to show up the front office and in turn they make some serious changes to a grossly incompetent operation and Dan maybe finally realizes he doesn't know what the heck he's doing.  In a way, my theory about the contract is the harshest among the theories being discussed as to exposing the front office/Dan.

My take from combining all that's been said is that with all that's happened the contract isn't at a point of no return. If I am picking up your theory, I think that's the closest to how you think which is Kirk is already done with the FO?   

My take is that theory is close to on the money as for Kirk being done with the FO (lot of water under the bridge) but not quite there, yet.   My guess is Kirk actually gives them one more lifeline in spite of it all and the FO still likely blows it anyway.  Kirk/Kirk's agent go something like hey we will give these boobs one more shot after all the shots they've blown.  And the FO does the same dance because they can't get out of their own way.  Cooley 2 weeks ago or so talks on  air about his revelation about hey why don't they just do this right after the end of the season (major guaranteed money) and goes over it with JP Finlay.  Finlay (who is one of the skeptics about this getting done) goes yeah I can see that working but could you see the FO doing that?  And they both chuckle a little and accede that the answer is no.

Skinsinparadise we are in agreement, it is still possible with Stafford Plus contract to induce Cousins to commit long term but the Skins will fail to do it and will, in the end, hold Kirk another year with the transition tag or let him walk.  I think Dan Snyder will blow it again and best case saves face with a transition tag.

Archived