Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

4 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

I keep reading things like "If we dump Bruce" and that Bruce may be in trouble. Does that have any validity? Is it a real rumbling, besides us, that that could happen?

No that’s like the fans asking begging Snyder to sell the team. Most every fan wants him to go but it’s unlikely.

Everything I’ve seen from credible sources say that Bruce is untouchable for now due to the looming stadium deal in 2020. 

The profound belief is that Allen is well liked in Virginia because of his brother so stealing tax dollars to build the stadium from the state will be much easier with him leading the charge then without him. 

Since Snyder’s way is to screw the people as much as possible Allen is looked at as the key to being successful in that endeavor so he’s going nowhere

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My question for those that feel "we can do better in the draft", WHY?

Where does history suggest that we can do that?  Anything is possible, but certainly not probable.  Why would you dump someone proven at a position that only handful of guys on earth can play at?  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If I can try and simplify this bloated question as much as possible the reason I personally believe that letting him go is clearly the best option for the future of this team is complicated. So take these points and answer them one by one

Point one - History repeats itself. Those who don’t think the draft can produce a starting QB are forgetting A) Cousins himself came from the draft so the team can find QBs in the draft and B.) every single season starting QBs are found in the draft. To me ignoring those two facts is silly. Why would anyone think a team can’t find a QB in the NFL draft when it happens every season?

Point two - Chanpionship potential. Kirk has been suspect by every single professional coach in the country for years. Go back to his HS days and no colleges wanted to offer him a scholarship. He wasn’t highly recruited. In college he was openly questioned as being the right choice for starting QB after given the opportunity. When he went into the draft every single NFL team skipped on drafting him for many rounds of the draft before the Redskins took him. The knock against him throughout his career was he couldn’t win big games and was incapable of elevating his teams around him. Throughout his three years starting so far he has yet to shed that belief about him in many games he could have shown otherwise. What do unprofessional eyes see in him to show that the professional opinions about his ability are wrong? In other words in what way does anyone throw the belief he could lead a team to the Championship believe that about him?

Point three - Financial. Why would any one believe that he is worth paying the most money to in the league after what he’s showed so far? There are many ways to build a successful NFL team. The very best teams manage the salary cap best. The very best teams do not overpay average players top salary. The very best teams have a clear team building path and the average to below average teams do not. We have paid Kirk top money over the past three seasons and what did he produce when given that? No championships and no playoff wins. If this organization spends 25 to 30% of the cap on an average player what does that do to the ability to sign other players? This past season we witnessed first hand what that means for this team when we signed Kirk and lost two thousand yard receivers. Next season who knows who is a casualty if he’s signed but we all need to know there will be some for sure. If this was the Ravens there is no way in hell based on how they build themselves up they would spend that much money on someone like Kirk so why should the Redskins? The Ravens would thank the NFL gladly for the compensatory pick and move on from him. Yesterday Kirk led the team to a win and the team was 1 for 8 on third down. He led the offense to only 15 plays during the first half. He is okay, an average QB that should not be paid like an elite QB. Why am I wrong about that?

Point four - Moving towards the future. I think if they sign him to an elite player contract it will hurt them in future coaching hires. I also think signing him will hurt signing other players. One thing for sure is coaching changes will happen. How hard will it be to find a quality coach if the team screws itself cap wise and team wise by anchoring itself to him? It’s already hard as hell for Dan and Bruce to find quality people to work with them, it will be harder if they get this wrong because what if the new guys don’t want him? The team can only sign Kirk to that type of money if the coaching staff is in place and is on board. It’s not. So why hurt the future hires like this?

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That goes double in this circumstance.  We aren't the Browns or Giants where we can walk into Rosen/Darnold.  Even Allen and maybe Mayfield go before our pick.    So you got 2 likely scenarios:

A.  Give up a kings ransom to go up 10-12 spots in the draft.  Meaning it would be likely two seasons without first and maybe 2nd rounders that we can use to upgrade other positions because we'd have to expend it here.  So the idea that we let Kirk go and just build this monster defense to me is likely a fantasy because it wouldn't happen via the draft unless they get really likely with later picks or be one of the rare situations where you do it via FA.  

B.  Rely on the next tier of QBs that land at your pick.  When you start relying on the 2nd tier of QBs -- the odds of success become much lower for success.  People cite the rare exceptions but if I recall you are talking about a 15% chance of success.

No offense but this type of thinking cracks me up. No one especially untrained eyes can predict a QBs success especially off of the few people that pretend to be draft “experts”. 

When the Texans drafted Watson last year it was widely considered by these people to be a reach and a bad pick. All I saw by the “experts” was that the head coach was screwed and soon to be fired and how Watson couldn’t throw the ball more then 50 mph. 

When the Browns decided to not draft Wentz or Goff the overwhelming belief by these same experts was how smart they were to do that

When the Cowboys drafted Dak he wasn’t considered to be anything more then a project who would need years to be able to play in this league

I could go on and on and on about the wrong things said about QBs prior to them ever playing a down in this league by the so called “experts”. 

The only I trust about these “experts” is that they will get it wrong. Placing any belief in what they say to me is as foolish as trying to predict the first round of the draft. Only weathermen, baseball players; and NFL draft experts have jobs where they can be wrong more then 50% of the time and keep their jobs. 

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

Point one -

Point two -

Point three -

Point four -

Point One - History repeats itself, huh?  In that case, I'm even more befuddled by your opinion.  The Redskins and in particular Bruce and Doug's history of selecting quarterbacks is not good at all.  Sure, guys get drafted and anointed starters every season.  Just because they start, doesn't mean they are or ever will be any good.  See Redskins.

Point Two - Again, you with the elevating teams stuff.  Plenty has been posted here on numerous occasions and even again last night, debunking your opinion that the Patriots are Tom Brady and a bunch of jags.  Literally everything you've posted about this "point" is hogwash.  There are plenty of professional eyes that believe the guy can play and win in the NFL.  I could really care less about what coaches thought of him in high school. 

Point Three - I'm not even sure how to respond to your flailing on this one.  Even if the Redskins franchised Kirk next season, it wouldn't be 25 or 30% of the cap.  Not sure where you get your "math" from.  What I find strange is that you can acknowledge that football is a team sport when talking about the salary cap, but it completely escapes you in QB evaluation.  This team has been in shambles for 2 months in all 3 phases: offense, defense & special teams.  This team as it stands today isn't winning anything with <insert Any QB Ever to play here>.

Point Four - The last thing that worries me about attracting talent to Washington is a Kirk Cousins contract.  If anything, having Kirk locked up long term is one of the few positives of joining this organization.   

10 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I could go on and on and on about the wrong things said about QBs prior to them ever playing a down in this league by the so called “experts”. 

The only I trust about these “experts” is that they will get it wrong.

That's an interesting take for a guy who just 15 minutes ago made a "point" about Kirk's lack of championship potential, citing that of folks watching him as far back as high school never believed in him.

So which one is it, chief?

This thread makes my head hurt.  

I don't think Kirk plays here next year.  And that is going to be unfortunate.  

@bobandweave question: if you had to choose right now today between Griffin and Cousins, who would you choose?  

ALL OTHERS: I am not attempting to turn this into a Griffin thread.  I specifically want to know what @bobandweave things on this particular point.  Everybody else can feel free to ignore. :)

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Point One - History repeats itself, 

So based on this response from you it’s clear to see why your handle is Battered Skins Fan, good choice for you it works.

Since you dont make any points here to refute the fact that this team drafted Cousins which flies in the logic that thy are not capable of drafting a good QB I guess your saying he isn’t a good QB. Is that your point Chief? If so why would you want to sign him lol ? 

Point Two - 

So you don’t care about this players history or pedigree huh? Well draft pedigree shows us all what fourth round drafted QBs have done in the history of this game and it’s not pretty. I suggest you going to football outsiders and checking what fourth round QBs were ever successful in this league. It matters even if you can’t see it

Point Three - This team has been in shambles for 2 months in all 3 phases: offense, defense & special teams.  This team as it stands today isn't winning anything with <insert Any QB Ever to play here>.

So with him it’s a bad team so what will it be without him? Ever heard of insanity? Check up on the definition you don’t seem to get it. 

Point Four - The last thing that worries me about attracting talent to Washington is a Kirk Cousins contract.  If anything, having Kirk locked up long term is one of the few positives of joining this organization.   

Sir read this 

http://settingedge.com/overpaying-mediocre-quarterbacks-are-there-alternatives-an-analytical-dive-into-quarterback-performance-value

and then get back to me about how signing an average QB to elite money makes a job less desirable and then get back to me. 

26 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Since you dont make any points here to refute the fact that this team drafted Cousins which flies in the logic that thy are not capable of drafting a good QB I guess your saying he isn’t a good QB. Is that your point Chief? If so why would you want to sign him lol ? 

We got Cousins in the same draft where we gave up 3 1st round picks for a QB that is no longer employed in the NFL.  We were lucky that Shanahan was going to get what he wanted, one way or another.  It's probably the only positive thing I can attribute to his tenure in DC.  The operative word here is "lucky".  Lucky because drafting quarterbacks that go on to have successful NFL careers as starters is a longshot.  Kirk wouldn't be the best QB we've had in decades if selecting and developing starting NFL quarterbacks was easy.  As I said before, it's possible to draft and develop a better starting quarterback than Kirk.  It's just not probable.

So you don’t care about this players history or pedigree huh? Well draft pedigree shows us all what fourth round drafted QBs have done in the history of this game and it’s not pretty. I suggest you going to football outsiders and checking what fourth round QBs were ever successful in this league. It matters even if you can’t see it

It appears he's defied the odds.  See my response above, we got lucky.  But this does nothing to prove whatever point it is that you're trying to make.  What's funny is that you posted a few minutes ago that you don't care what 'experts' think because they are always wrong. 

So with him it’s a bad team so what will it be without him? Ever heard of insanity? Check up on the definition you don’t seem to get it. 

It's a bad team right now primarily due to injuries.  Anything that could possibly go wrong this season has.  There is a reason that every game we've played for the past two months, the guys in the booth constantly harp on our injury situation.  Not because they've ever liked making excuses for the Redskins, but because it's true.  Yet somehow here we sit with six wins.

Sir read this 

http://settingedge.com/overpaying-mediocre-quarterbacks-are-there-alternatives-an-analytical-dive-into-quarterback-performance-value

and then get back to me about how signing an average QB to elite money makes a job less desirable and then get back to me. 

Sorry, but one article that kind of supports whatever point it is you're trying to make isn't going to cut it.  In your opinion, Kirk is an average quarterback.  By your opinion, I mean an opinion that lacks any relevance.  There are a lot smarter people than either you or me that tend to believe he's a better than average quarterback.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

No offense but this type of thinking cracks me up. No one especially untrained eyes can predict a QBs success especially off of the few people that pretend to be draft “experts”. 

You are basically doubling down on my point unless I am missing something.   My whole point centers on "experts" have a hard time getting it right.  Your point is the non-experts-draft geek types can't get it right either.  Yeah I know.   If the experts struggle with it -- the non-experts struggle with it.  I figured those two points go hand in hand and don't need to be explained. - And I don't really get what that has to do with the point?  Mayock, Kiper, etc aren't making the pick. 

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

The only I trust about these “experts” is that they will get it wrong. Placing any belief in what they say to me is as foolish as trying to predict the first round of the draft. Only weathermen, baseball players; and NFL draft experts have jobs where they can be wrong more then 50% of the time and keep their jobs. 

I agree.  But how is me saying that the draft is a crap shoot and have no faith that we are going to land a franchise QB in the mid first round -- translate to me saying that I trust the draft geek takes of the QBs? If you check out some of my posts on the draft thread -- I beat that point like a drum. It's really hard to choose QBs in the draft -- I trust no one's opinion on it at full faith.   

So again unless I am missing something, you are bringing my point home hard.  Unless, this is you defending Doug-Bruce with the take that they have no clue but neither does anyone else?  Even if that's your point -- that still supports my point.

38 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This thread makes my head hurt.  

I don't think Kirk plays here next year.  And that is going to be unfortunate.  

@bobandweave question: if you had to choose right now today between Griffin and Cousins, who would you choose?  

ALL OTHERS: I am not attempting to turn this into a Griffin thread.  I specifically want to know what @bobandweave things on this particular point.  Everybody else can feel free to ignore. :)

I was against drafting Griffin because his physical frame is too small. The only QB I can recall in history that could play his style and find success is Cam Newton who is fourty pounds heavier then Griffin. I did not think Griffins body could handle the beatings the NFL takes on QBs which sadly proved to be right and now he is retired. 

Usain Bolt couldn’t be an NFL Rb just like Griffin be an NFL QB. Griffin was a gimmicky QB who would have suffered the same fate on any other NFL team as he did here

Cousins in the fourth round was then and is now the preferred QB because his cost was next to nothing. With such a low floor he came in here with a much higher ceiling then Griffin from a cost perspective. Plus he is your typical QB easy to plug in anywhere

46 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Point three - Financial. Why would any one believe that he is worth paying the most money to in the league after what he’s showed so far? There are many ways to build a successful NFL team. The very best teams manage the salary cap best. The very best teams do not overpay average players top salary. The very best teams have a clear team building path and the average to below average teams do not. We have paid Kirk top money over the past three seasons and what did he produce when given that? No championships and no playoff wins. If this organization spends 25 to 30% of the cap on an average player what does that do to the ability to sign other players? This past season we witnessed first hand what that means for this team when we signed Kirk and lost two thousand yard receivers. Next season who knows who is a casualty if he’s signed but we all need to know there will be some for sure. If this was the Ravens there is no way in hell based on how they build themselves up they would spend that much money on someone like Kirk so why should the Redskins? The Ravens would thank the NFL gladly for the compensatory pick and move on from him. Yesterday Kirk led the team to a win and the team was 1 for 8 on third down. He led the offense to only 15 plays during the first half. He is okay, an average QB that should not be paid like an elite QB. Why am I wrong about that?

We lost two 1000 yard WRs because the team decided to not make any offers and to let them walk.  Garcon stated they never even contacted him or made any offer at all, we could have retained him, most likely, at a good price.  DJax wanted to test free agency as he knew he could demand more money than he was worth, thus signing in Tampa for more than we were willing to pay.  And the DJax walking turned out to be good, imo, as he hasn't done anything in TB.

And while I think Garcon could have been retained at a good price, it hasn't crippled our team.  Injuries along with zero continued development from Pryor has.  Kirk is still top 10 in the league in passing yards (#8) and should top 4000 yards again this year, with a depleted o-line, no running game and practice squad players being plugged into the line-up (Bibbs).  

His QB rating is better than three of the players ranked ahead of him with two of them being sure hall of famers.  His TD/INTs are on par with the top 10, his completion percentage is better than three players ranked above him.  Kirk is a top 10 QB in the league, whether you want to admit that or not.  And regardless of if he is "worth the money" or not, he's going to get it, because the market dictates it.  And in a few years when other "not worth it QBs" sign for more, Kirks deal will be an after thought and it won't matter.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That goes double in this circumstance.  We aren't the Browns or Giants where we can walk into Rosen/Darnold.  Even Allen and maybe Mayfield go before our pick.    So you got 2 likely scenarios:

A.  Give up a kings ransom to go up 10-12 spots in the draft.  Meaning it would be likely two seasons without first and maybe 2nd rounders that we can use to upgrade other positions because we'd have to expend it here.  So the idea that we let Kirk go and just build this monster defense to me is likely a fantasy because it wouldn't happen via the draft unless they get really likely with later picks or be one of the rare situations where you do it via FA.  

B.  Rely on the next tier of QBs that land at your pick.  When you start relying on the 2nd tier of QBs -- the odds of success become much lower for success.  People cite the rare exceptions but if I recall you are talking about a 15% chance of success.

So these are the circumstances when everything is normal.  That's tough enough. Here we'd be counting on Bruce-Doug defying the odds.  Where we'd be riding on the premise that these dudes aren't just ordinary personnel guys, they are special so if we have to pay through the nose in an RG3 style trade up -- this time they will get it right -- and they are so good at what they do that you don't have to worry about building up the defense without first/2nd rounders for a couple of years because they will find diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.  Or yeah don't worry give Bruce-Dan the keys to the QB kingdom and with their mid first round pick, they won't pick the next Gabbert or Ponder or J. Locker or Josh Freeman on and on and on.   They will get a Watson.

Anything is possible but in short you are asking for a team who has bombed at this position so many times to just kill it this time.  That puts a lot of pressure on Bruce-Doug.  I am not a big fan of either's personnel skills.   I am definitely a mile away from thinking these guys are really special as personnel guys because that's what we'd be depending on for this to go well.  That or just wild good luck.   

Dan can trade all the first round picks until the Second Coming for the first or second pick so he can land a generational talent and sell a lot of jerseys.  Yeah, that’s the ticket Dan! Pick a mobile kid that can run from the basketball-score no defense alllowed 12...

21 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Dan can trade all the first round picks until the Second Coming for the first or second pick so he can land a generational talent and sell a lot of jerseys.  Yeah, that’s the ticket Dan! Pick a mobile kid that can run from the basketball-score no defense alllowed 12...

That's definitely Dan's style.   

This point obviously not addressed to you. The idea that people bring up about how Kirk leaving allows you a bigger opportunity to build up the rest of the roster... well, if that's the idea than fishing in the pool of first tier Qbs in the draft is out -- if you use your first rounder on a QB at best you are losing the opportunity to use your first round pick on a playmaker to upgrade the roster and at worst you are giving up multiple picks to upgrade the roster.   

If you are going to the draft for your solution at QB -- you are likely more or less starting over.  The draft as a solution to QB most likely weakens the rest of your roster versus strengthens it -- unless you really believe big in FA.

13 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

And while I think Garcon could have been retained at a good price, it hasn't crippled our team.  Injuries along with zero continued development from Pryor has.  Kirk is still top 10 in the league in passing yards (#8) and should top 4000 yards again this year, with a depleted o-line, no running game and practice squad players being plugged into the line-up (Bibbs).  

I agree with your overall point, but disagree with this, in this way: The plan at the beginning of the off-season was to have Doctson, Grant and Crowder start.  I think that the dropoff from DJax, Garcon and Crowder to those three was evident before 1 mini-camp practice was held.  Pryor was signed as a backup/insurance policy to Doctson, not as a starter to replace Grant.  

The thought (and anybody could see that this was not going to work, even without the luxury of hindsight) is that Reed and Crowder were good enough on the inside that they could benefit the guys on the outside.  That's just not how it works.  What happened is that defenses were able to essentially shut down our outside pass game with simple zone or 1:1 coverage, and they just plugged up the middle where Reed and Crowder do most of their damage.  Then Reed got hurt.  Which also was somewhat predictable.  

That decision not to either bring back DJax/Garcon, or at least find capable replacements DID cripple the offense, or at least any hope of explosiveness in the offense.  Even before the injury big really set in, CT was about the only player on offense who could separate and make plays down the field.  

I'll grant you (no pun intended) that if we had reasonable health, that they would have been more efficient moving the ball.  But they wouldn't have been as consistent or as explosive, because the type of players they had last year were not here this year.

It is a HUGE credit to Cousins that he will get to 4000 yards with the NFL equivalent of Larry, Mo and Curly as WRs, no running game to speak of, a suspect OL, and Reed, probably the best receiver when healthy, hurt all year.  

I am a Cousins fan, so really not disagreeing at all with your overall point.  But the team (not Cousins) determined they would not be as good offensively by being dumb in the off-season.  

@Voice_of_Reason I agree that the team was letting both walk and settling for not being as good, but I really think they didn't think the drop off would be that tremendous (at least when it comes to individual WR stats).  While Pryor was still a developing WR, a lot of people thought he would be able to produce numbers on par with what he did last year in Cleveland, especially with a good starting QB to develop chemistry with (Kirk).  It just didn't happen.  

I'm going to assume Kirk topples 4000 yards again, which is why I don't think it crippled our offense.  Though with Garcon and DJax it made it a lot easier, he definitely earned all 3,636 yards so far this year.  Less explosive, absolutely.  And agree with their plan not working and yielding overall lower production.  

13 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Look at points per drive or points per play instead.  Or yards per play.  Even better, use an advanced metric like DVOA.

In every one of their super bowl years, the Pats defense has been somewhere between average and elite.  Usually closer to elite.  Now that I re-read your original post, this is what you were saying.  So we basically agree, just a disagreement over the points per game stat.

Ok, I got you now. I do prefer the more advanced metrics also since a poor offense and strength of schedule can impact defense rankings. Points allowed was easiest stat to quickly get and all I really needed to prove the point that Brady doesn't do it all alone. He's had a good defense every time the Pats have won. 

20 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

@Voice_of_Reason I agree that the team was letting both walk and settling for not being as good, but I really think they didn't think the drop off would be that tremendous (at least when it comes to individual WR stats).  While Pryor was still a developing WR, a lot of people thought he would be able to produce numbers on par with what he did last year in Cleveland, especially with a good starting QB to develop chemistry with (Kirk).  It just didn't happen.  

I'm going to assume Kirk topples 4000 yards again, which is why I don't think it crippled our offense.  Though with Garcon and DJax it made it a lot easier, he definitely earned all 3,636 yards so far this year.  Less explosive, absolutely.  And agree with their plan not working and yielding overall lower production.  

It's a shame all the injuries we faced, because statistically he was on pace for over 30 TDs and likely under 10 INTs. He might be able to still stay under 10 INTs, but he's got Denver next week and even with ending against Giants I don't see 6 passing TDs happening. 

Still though, when you consider injuries, strength of schedule, loss of very good WRs, and red zone, Kirk has improved big time yet again this season. If the plan is indeed transition tag then we really better match whatever offer comes. Personally I think Skins need to go for the LTD and avoid a tag just in case some team does structure a deal Skins can't match.

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Well, I think our difference of opinion comes down to the I believe that regardless if Kirk passes for 4000 yards or not, the offense is still crippled.  

Thats debatable.  But the lack of consistency and explosiveness, huge step back in terms of 3rd down percentage, and step back in TOP, it’s just not a good offense. And want really a good offense even before the injury.  

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/17/blaine-gabbert-offers-glimpse-ghost-quarterback-fu/

LOVERRO: Redskins get scary look at Ghost of Quarterback Future

It was bad football, desperation December football between two teams, one of whom was still in the playoff picture.

That team would be the Cardinals, who came into this game with a 6-7 record and would have left FedEx Field with an 7-7 record if their quarterback had been named, say, Kirk Cousins, instead of Blaine Gabbert.

Don’t believe me? Ask Gabbert himself.

“It pretty much boils down to me making a play, delivering the ball accurately and on time,” he said. “The lack of execution for me all day — that just can’t happen. We were inches away from a bunch of plays but at the end of the day I have to make those and we have to score touchdowns in the red zone.”

They didn’t — five field goals.

Cousins didn’t have a chance to make a bunch of plays. Washington (6-8) had just 15 offensive plays in the first half, compared to 47 for Arizona. The Redskins had the ball for just 6:34 in the first half, compared to 23:26 for the Cardinals.

But Cousins made the plays he needed to — two touchdown passes among seven completions in nine attempts in the first half.

“We just didn’t get enough opportunities, 15 plays in the first half,” he said. “It really was a big difference in the final outcome. We just didn’t get enough opportunities.”

When they did — like the Arizona fumble on their first possession that gave Washington the ball on the Cardinals‘ 6 yard line — Cousins delivered what Gabbert could not all day with a five-yard touchdown pass to Jamison Crowder.

What you saw Sunday was the difference in life in the NFL when you have a quarterback and when you don’t have one.

The Redskins have one — and they may let him leave.

Insanity.

Back to the contract thing... the advantage for us of a long term deal is that we can pay him what he wants now but push most of the cap hit to the back end of the contract.  The cap hit won't be as low as if we'd signed Kirk in August 2015 like Scott wanted, but we'll still have plenty of money to pick up free agents so we can compete.  Then in 2021 or 2022, we get him to sign an extension and restructure the contract to keep pushing the cap hit into the future.  There's no free lunch, eventually the cap hit comes due, so we take one year of cap hell where we are terrible, and then we're right back to competing.

Example, here's a five year $150M contract with $100M guaranteed at signing, yet the cap hits for the first three years are completely reasonable. 

image.png.040bcd6c34f93d9b7c18fb40d5d87595.png

The 2021 and 2022 cap hits look terrible, but in reality we would just do an extension plus restructure in 2021 to turn the base salaries into bonuses and push most of the cap hit into the future.

Here's a seven year $200M contract with $100M fully guaranteed at signing. The grey cap hits are ones that we miss because of restructuring, red cap hits are the ones we actually take.  2025 is on the chart even though Cousins wouldn't be under contract for that year, but we take the last $20M of the cap hit then.

image.png.2fd18ac60ab7f754ac044508ebfd0a8d.png

I can do this all day long, and so can Eric Schaeffer.  The only thing missing is the will from Dan and Bruce.

Again a lot of skins fans are comical. If  we were the packers coming off Favre and Rodgers then maybe I would complain about someone like Cousins... maybe.

But we are coming off the liked of Brunell, Campbell, Beck, RG3, McNabb, ... lets go further.... Ramsey, George, Matthews, Wuerffell.

Yeah and you want to get rid of cousins. He is the reason we aren't the browns. He is soft in big situations.. but very good nonetheless 

Archived