Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

9 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

I wonder if the Bills,Jets,Cardinals or Browns think it is easy to draft a QB?

But they should just do what all the cool teams are doing now by finding their franchise QBs in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

We are apparently so talented at this that we will have no problem finding a replacement for KC one of the next 2 years.

I can't wait to see this one play out. This team has become a full on comedy act to me since around Zorn time (in reality it's since Norv) so you may as well get some entertainment from it. 

If we don't sign Cousins to a LTD and he walks, I hope you all are ready for a 3/13 or 4/12 season where the few wins we are have are going to be scores like 10-7 or 12-9 types of games.  We're going to be complete and utter **** if we lose Cousins and rely on Colt or some rookie QB, or one of the vets that hits FA because he's not good enough to stay on his current mediocore/****ty team.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

If we don't sign Cousins to a LTD and he walks, I hope you all are ready for a 3/13 or 4/12 season

Little early on posting this. The team could be 5-11 with him this season.

The question I have is if what your posting there really that big of a deal?

Losses are losses to me. Style points of losing like they did in New Orleans is worse to me then what they did last week because it provides a false sense of the teams ability and adds a positive belief in the team that shouldn’t exist. Any given Sunday is forgotten and fans get irrationally excited when the losses are close to good teams instead of remembering the team is judged on the season not the individual game

Overall with Cousins this year this is a bad team. They are 5-8 now with the ability to end the season with an 8-8 record or a 5-11 record. Neither is a winning record. 

So with Cousins they would get the same results as they would get without him. Because Cousins is a good QB and all of the choices you laid out there would be worse then he plays generally. Either way the team would still be a bad team overall.

So are the Redskins closer to the Super Bowl then they are to the first overall draft pick with these players and this coaching staff? If the answer is somewhere closer to the draft then why would any team pay a single player so much money when it won’t change the L’s from the W’s in this day and age when other teams have built up the overall team then added the rookie QB with the cheap salary as the cherry on the top to win? That seems to be the recipe for success today

Not a shot at you or trying to dog Kirk or say that another QB would play as good as Kirk has at times this year. Just some things I think about 

I’m not voting in the poll because my thought on the matter is Kirk will leave and goto anothe team but I am not sure he actually gets signed to a LTD with the way the last two seasons have gone for him anywhere.

To me long term meaning for QBs are 5+ seasons and I’m not sure any teams going to sign him to that many seasons knowing how much of the owners money it will cost them.

I’m in the camp that it’s most likely that  the team will not use the franchise tag on him ever again. The team will transition tag him instead. Kirk probably signs for three years elsewhere and the team doesn’t match his offer and the team gets a third round compensatory pick for him in 2019.

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

So are the Redskins closer to the Super Bowl then they are to the first overall draft pick with these players and this coaching staff? If the answer is somewhere closer to the draft then why would any team pay a single player so much money when it won’t change the L’s from the W’s in this day and age when other teams have built up the overall team then added the rookie QB with the cheap salary as the cherry on the top to win? That seems to be the recipe for success today

Not a shot at you or trying to dog Kirk or say that another QB would play as good as Kirk has at times this year. Just some things I think about 

That's exactly what I've been trying to say. We need to build the team up before we worry about paying a ludicrous amount of cap on a QB. Paying Kirk doesn't suddenly make us a good team. Keeping a serviceable QB and adding some decent players will make us a better team overall than Kirk Cousins does. If he wants to win with us, then he'd take a Brady deal, knowing he has milked the Snyder money cow for two seasons now.... but he doesn't, he wants to stockpile as much money as he can that his family will never be able to spend.... He's more bothered about money than he is about winning. In FA he will go to whoever offers him the most money regardless of how much they suck. A QB who wants to win, after making $40+ million in 2 years and turning 30 soon might think about the roster, how close they are to winning, whether he can lift the Lombardi with them... not Kirk, he will go to the Browns or someone and shoot for mediocrity there.

I think he is a good QB but he isn't a competitor, he doesn't have the drive to win, and I think he is full of BS. "God told me to take as much money as I possibly could instead of sign a LTD..." yeah sure he did Kirk. You've been paid $5million per win this season, I won't be sorry to see the back of him. Not because he's a bad QB, he's not, he's quite a good one, but he's a drama queen and he doesn't care about anything but Kirk Cousins.

16 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

I clearly remember Joe Thiesman playing, Joe wasn't nearly as good as Cousins.  Joe did his job but he played with talented, very balanced teams.  Kirk is comparable to Sonny, who I also watched.

Theisman was obviously on a loaded team but he was also the MVP of the entire league. So there's that.  I like Kirk much better, still think Theisman is a jerk. But no way do I believe that Joe was "not nearly as good as Cousins".  

6 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Losses are losses to me. Style points of losing like they did in New Orleans is worse to me then what they did last week because it provides a false sense of the teams ability and adds a positive belief in the team that shouldn’t exist. Any given Sunday is forgotten and fans get irrationally excited when the losses are close to good teams instead of remembering the team is judged on the season not the individual game

If losses were losses to you, you'd realize that it's a team game and the record and losses doesn't fall solely on the QB.  You'd also realize that this team is decimated with injuries right now and he has been playing very well (for the most part, he's had a couple dud games too) with people who wouldn't even be on rosters of other teams.  I also forgot it's KC's fault that the other team's offense scores 30+ points regularly now. 

You bring up the Saints game specifically - I didn't realize it was KC's fault that they were up by 15 points with 5 minutes left and the defense couldn't hold.  I forgot it's KC's fault that on 3rd and 1 Perine couldn't get 1 yard for a first down.  I forgot it's his fault that there were 2 drops on the first drive in OT.  And yes I realize that he made a brain fart at the end of regulation (or if it's on gruden) but they should have never been in that position anyways.

He's the best QB the Redskins have had in over 2 decades and is breaking records and constantly atop the leaderboards in many statistics.  But yeah, let's just let him walk because any QB can keep this team mediocore.  You are right though, any QB isn't going to help what is out or their control, like making plays on defense or special teams.

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Those two variables are tied to the hip though.  It's not a pick one or the other deal.   It's like saying I want a pizza but am not willing to pay more than $5 for one.  If so realistically you don't really want the pizza because you know you aren't getting it at that price. 

Digiorno and Little Ceasars. And with the money saved you can buy cheese sticks,wings,jalapeño bites and a 2liter.

1 minute ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Like???

I don't want to turn this into a pizza snob war (even though that's objectively better than talking about the Redskins).

Just saying, in some circles, if your vote is for $5 frozen pizza, you will be judged accordingly.  Just like if you want the Redskins to go with a $5 frozen pizza of a QB instead of keeping the very good QB we already have .

55 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

I don't want to turn this into a pizza snob war (even though that's objectively better than talking about the Redskins).

Just saying, in some circles, if your vote is for $5 frozen pizza, you will be judged accordingly.  Just like if you want the Redskins to go with a $5 frozen pizza of a QB instead of keeping the very good QB we already have .

What about if you vote to gamble on getting top grade pizza on a cheap deal for 4 years? The alternative is paying $100 bucks for a decent margherita and not being able to afford any toppings.

We need to sign him 5 years at 20-22 million per, give him 60 mil guaranteed. He isn't some top 5 QB but we can do a lot worse, plus getting rid of him means we aren't doing anything for the next 5 years.

I love how skins fans get so picky with the QB as if we have at hall of famers as our last 15 qbs all have been.......

There was a lot of progression within the ranks of our team. With Cousins, and an addition or two, and a new slate of health. I believe we would have a very good team next year.

Must resign Brown, and Cousins. Crowder must be our 3rd receiver. He is a damn good 3WR, a very meh two. Doctson looks like he will be a two at worst.

I wouldn't mind if we used a pick on Courtland Sutton for another WR. I don't mind if we spend on FA since we clearly have a certain window to win if cousins is signed. I'd have no problem spending big to retain Cousins, Brown, and then Signing Bell (because we abolutely need an RB), and a DT like Bennie Logan.

Add depth with the rest of the draft, hope Reed plays for 9 games

6 hours ago, purbeast said:

If losses were losses to you, you'd realize that it's a team game and the record and losses doesn't fall solely on the QB.  You'd also realize that this team is decimated with injuries right now and he has been playing very well (for the most part, he's had a couple dud games too) with people who wouldn't even be on rosters of other teams.  I also forgot it's KC's fault that the other team's offense scores 30+ points regularly now. 

You bring up the Saints game specifically - I didn't realize it was KC's fault that they were up by 15 points with 5 minutes left and the defense couldn't hold.  I forgot it's KC's fault that on 3rd and 1 Perine couldn't get 1 yard for a first down.  I forgot it's his fault that there were 2 drops on the first drive in OT.  And yes I realize that he made a brain fart at the end of regulation (or if it's on gruden) but they should have never been in that position anyways.

He's the best QB the Redskins have had in over 2 decades and is breaking records and constantly atop the leaderboards in many statistics.  But yeah, let's just let him walk because any QB can keep this team mediocore.  You are right though, any QB isn't going to help what is out or their control, like making plays on defense or special teams.

As Vince Lombardi once said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." 

Your attacking my point as if you didnt really understand what i was posting about so let me try and explain

I don’t think there is another QB out there either in the draft this year or available to trade for that can do what Kirk can do next season. That doesn’t mean signing him is the right thing to do.

The issue to me is financial. As you point out the Ws and Ls are a team gain. In no way was I arguing against that point I agree with that. What I’m saying is look at the results 

So with Kirk the team this year is now 6-8 with two games to go. In the past three seasons with Kirk the teams had a single wild card appearance with no playoff wins; and either will have one .500 season and a losing season or two  .500 seasons both missing the playoffs. Truth is it’s been more then three years since the team found itself playing in a meaningless game the first week of December like they did this year with Kirk. 

Is that all on the QB? No but the results the past three seasons have not been what a quality good team produces. The good teams like the Pats, Steelers, etc. always find themselves producing year over year even with bad supporting casts around the QB. The diff with those teams is the QB is able to lift his teams over the hump regardless of what else is happening around them.

Kirks setting records sure but where are the Ws? Where is the proof he can rally his team like Ben did last week a game after they lose the best defensive player and he responded throwing for 500+ yards on one of the NFLs best defenses? I don’t see that with Kirk

So if your right in what I quoted you said and without Kirk this is a losing franchise, and with Kirk this is a losing franchise then why sign him to a LTD that will prohibit the overall team from getting better? Ws and Ls are a team effort. If all your eggs go into the QB bucket then what’s left to make the other positions around him better?

Make no mistake about it, one of the biggest killers of any NFL team over the past 15 years is a team signing a huge QB deal when they aren’t ready for that. This season because we signed Kirk to a huge deal we lost out two best receivers. The decision to sign or not sign have rippling effects on the rest of the team.  

It makes no difference if the QB is the best player if the teams not in a position to sign that type of deal. I think your forgetting this point. I don’t believe based on a meaningless win over the Cardinals today which hurt the team more then it helped them long term that this group with Kirk is in a position to sign him to a LTD and find continued success with him and is actually in a better position to let him walk for continued growth as a team. 

If im wrong and it looks like some of you think I am then please show me a team that built a losing team into a winner after they signed a QB to a big money deal lately? It seems teams like the Cowboys and Eagles are the norm today where they built the team up then drafted a QB and found success. Teams like New Orleans show that signing big money QB deals when the teams not ready to support that often results in the team losing not winning. If  the recipe for winning meant signing Cousins where are the results to back that up? I don’t see it

24 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

We need to sign him 5 years at 20-22 million per, give him 60 mil guaranteed. He isn't some top 5 QB but we can do a lot worse, plus getting rid of him means we aren't doing anything for the next 5 years.

Not sure I agree with that fatalistic attitude: Eagles went from worst to first after getting their QB, Texans this year prior to Watson going down looked to be on the same path, the Cowboys did that when they got their QB, the 49ers with Jimmy look to be a completely different team now. The 49ers went to the Super Bowl after they drafted Kap, the Seahawks went from worst to back to back Superbowls winning one within a five year window as well. 

7 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Kirk is playing hard like a lifer and managed to lead his battered team to a win today.

Good for him but in a lost season when Ls mean more for us then Ws it’s so frustrating that some teams get the importance of long term thinking and some do not. This teams been burned by winning meaningless games like this before. Sure the team overall needed a win so badly because it was all imploding but when the draft occurs next year the short term thinking of winning these games really can come back and bite them in the ass again.

The only reason they had to pay a kings ransom for drafting Griffin in 2012 was because they won a meaningless game like this one. 

By comparasion some teams dont act that way, like the Bucs in 2014. They didn’t want to win meaningless games and purposely tanked so they could get Winston. It’s pretty interesting to see the differences how some of these organizations operate 

Archived