Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

On 29/04/2018 at 4:46 AM, Peregrine said:

How many other teams do it like this?

On 29/04/2018 at 4:47 AM, TK said:

Philly, for one.

Patriots are another one... No GM there.

On 29/04/2018 at 4:36 AM, Warhead36 said:

I think more credit goes to guys like Campbell, Santos, and Smith in the FO. The real personnel people.

Maybe...

Maybe with all those rumors of Bruce being reassigned or moving to the Raiders, Dan already stepped in and told Bruce to stay in his lane and let the real personnel people do the show.

Bruce can try to let everyone that he's a personnel guy within the media. As long as he lets the real guys running the show, I'm fine with it.

On 4/28/2018 at 10:47 PM, TK said:

Philly, for one.

Yup, Philly is the only NFL team that doesnt have a named GM.

Which of course, has a key difference.  Howie Roseman is no longer listed as GM, but he WAS up until last season, instead he now has the title of "Executive vice president of football operations" and acts as GM.  The key difference here is he is separate from the president of the Eagles, who does NOT make football decisions, unlike here in Washington.

Matthew Paras Retweeted

If changes are coming to Raiders front office, they haven't happened yet (but some think Bruce Allen is looming)

Burgundy Blog Retweeted ProFootballTalk

"There's a belief in league circles that Bruce Allen hopes to eventually return to the Raiders… The thinking is that he would serve in an executive-type role, with no direct input over personnel but a significant role in managing the business—including the team's new stadium."

Just now, c slag said:

Any possibility if Bruce bolts to the Raiders that he will lure our assistant coaches away? 

I like the assistants on the staff and would be a shame to loose some of them 

I wouldn't worry about that at all.  Chucky is in charge of all that and pretty much has his staff set anyways.  I'd imagine if our assistants are loyal to anyone, it's Jay.

So how realistic is this really? Don't want to get my hopes up for nothing lol

Would be interesting to see how things would change if he were to leave. Even though I think nothing would really change besides Doug and Jey getting more power. At least for this year

HANG ON  - HANG ON ! 

If the Raiders are sniffing around our personnel - least of all the much beloved and universally respected god like a steady hand on the tiller - MR BRUCE ALLEN then should we not be talking compensation for Bruce having to break his contract? I think 4 or 5 first round picks ... isn't sufficient compensation because nothing ever, ever would be (sniff), but should be something maybe we would consider - if we are going to be cast into the Bruce Allen less abys?  

30 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

HANG ON  - HANG ON ! 

If the Raiders are sniffing around our personnel - least of all the much beloved and universally respected god like a steady hand on the tiller - MR BRUCE ALLEN then should we not be talking compensation for Bruce having to break his contract? I think 4 or 5 first round picks ... isn't sufficient compensation because nothing ever, ever would be (sniff), but should be something maybe we would consider - if we are going to be cast into the Bruce Allen less abys?  

I feel ya, but on the other hand the Raiders may be asking us to give up picks to take him off our hands!!! :silly:

1 hour ago, c slag said:

Any possibility if Bruce bolts to the Raiders that he will lure our assistant coaches away? 

I like the assistants on the staff and would be a shame to loose some of them 

I would think the bigger danger is him vulturing our Front Office. 

3 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I don't think Scott is the answer. I think our best drafts were around his tenure. Then again, if he came on to be a super-scout that might be pretty cool. But then I go back to the idea that I don't think Scott is the answer.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I wouldn't worry about that at all.  Chucky is in charge of all that and pretty much has his staff set anyways.  I'd imagine if our assistants are loyal to anyone, it's Jay.

And the Gruden brothers are pretty close. Don't see them "steal" from each other. I could see a lower coach transfer on advise of the brother. 

Curious if Jon his son stays on our staff or would be interested in joining his father (and his 10 year deal). 

13 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I would think the bigger danger is him vulturing our Front Office. 

Perhaps Smith since there's the AJ/Bruce relationship in play.  I'd venture a guess though that with Bruce leaving, that would equate to promotions for everyone else involved.

I also think this talk of Bruce bailing is too good to be true.

2 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

And the Gruden brothers are pretty close. Don't see them "steal" from each other. I could see a lower coach transfer on advise of the brother. 

Curious if Jon his son stays on our staff or would be interested in joining his father (and his 10 year deal). 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/10/deuce-gruden-leaves-redskins-join-jon-grudens-raid/

he already left. 

On 4/28/2018 at 8:04 PM, William Barbour said:

Front Office isnt a traditional setup. Not the only team to do it like this. People rrally nees to let go of the "GM is the guy running the show" mentality. 

True.  Bruce doesn't have the GM title but he's the guy who has final say.  He can call himself whatever he wants but he is the guy in charge -- when he's pushed in conversation, he goes yeah I am the one with the last say.  Beat guys have said the same.

If the beat guys are on the money -- as for the draft specifically, it doesn't seem like Bruce has that much of a role.  Kyle Smith makes recommendations.  Jay kicks in with the assistant coaches as for what they think of Kyle's picks.  Doug is mostly a facilitator.  Bruce's influence is mostly FA-contracts-caps.  As for draft, he has a vote during disagreements.

Bruce is the overall guy in charge so the buck stops with him -- like the Eagles with Roseman.   Roseman IMO >>>>>>>>>>> Bruce. 

Hope we see Bruce in Oakland soon :), he IMO is the weak link of the FO. 

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps Smith since there's the AJ/Bruce relationship in play.  I'd venture a guess though that with Bruce leaving, that would equate to promotions for everyone else involved.

I also think this talk of Bruce bailing is too good to be true.

I tend to think I'll believe it when I see it too, especially since the Redskins are getting a lot of praise and good feelings for this draft. Two good drafts in a row.

For Bruce, it would be a high note to bow out on. I honestly don't know how he'll be remembered in Redskins' lore. He got us out of Vinny's permanent cap hell and righted our fiscal ship, but he never really assembled a team capable of being a winner in 9 years. He also bares a tremendous share of the blame in the Kirk Cousins' affair. History will still tell if he was right or wrong about that, but in the immediate term he blew something that no NFL front man ever blows... securing the good homegrown QB.

14 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't think Scott is the answer. I think our best drafts were around his tenure. Then again, if he came on to be a super-scout that might be pretty cool. But then I go back to the idea that I don't think Scott is the answer.

I like Scot.  But if Chris Russell is correct, the issue with him with the powers that be isn't his personnel acumen but personal issues/antics.  If so, tough for me to see a return.

15 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I find myself leaning this way... and he didn't really do much to force me to give him credit for the Browns picks either.  Something just didnt seem right with their picks.  I personally would have gone multiple different directions but I'm sitting here on a message board, not getting paid obscene money to make those decisions.  In my mind i keep hearing "we got football players" in Scot's voice.... I can see that.  Baker is a gamer.  I just found myself looking at and being tepid on the results.  Baker may end up being a superstar... same with Ward... i just wasn't that impressed. 

16 minutes ago, Burgold said:

For Bruce, it would be a high note to bow out on. I honestly don't know how he'll be remembered in Redskins' lore. He got us out of Vinny's permanent cap hell and righted our fiscal ship, but he never really assembled a team capable of being a winner in 9 years. He also bares a tremendous share of the blame in the Kirk Cousins' affair. History will still tell if he was right or wrong about that, but in the immediate term he blew something that no NFL front man ever blows... securing the good homegrown QB.

Just check out any poll done about Bruce whether its 106.7 or 980.  To say he's unpopular with the fan base would be an understatement.   There is a fan petition running on line to fire Bruce that has 7000 signatures.  That's intense. 

On the board, what do we have like 5-6 pro Bruce people?  As for how will he be remembered, that's easy -- it would be right up there with Cerrato.   Clown Show Part 2.  It was a totally different brand of dysfunction than Cerrato but the team becoming a punch line again IMO was clearly about Bruce front and center. 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Scot.  But if Chris Russell is correct, the issue with him with the powers that be isn't his personnel acumen but personal issues/antics.  If so, tough for me to see a return.

If there really is a God the Allen rumors are true, then maybe Dan can do an effective autopsy to see what happened with McCloughan.  Hopefully he puts more blame on Allen and not the idea of a GM.

Hard to believe it, but if it's effective this season Dan will have aged/matured nearly a decade since making that call to Shanallen.  Hopefully he's started to see the light especially now that two division rivals have won the Super Bowl and Dallas has been first seed a time or two since Bruce was hired.

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

When were we in cap hell?  Worst time I can think of when it actually happened was after Bruce decided to earn us a (bull**** but it happened) $36 million cap penalty and committed $41 million to Haynesworthless.  Our cap right now is at what, $18 million?  I don't know who we're cutting that will get us cap space, but that's not a hell of a lot of wiggle room.

You're totally right, he totally blew the Cousins situation whether he was right or wrong.  I hope he turns out to be right, but man, he couldn't have done it in a more cringe-worthy, reputation-damaging, unnecessarily dramatic way.  Smith?  Good, though still steamed about Fuller.

Overall I'd say Allen is a step up from Vinny like Raiders fans are a step up from Philly's.  Not much at all.

4 minutes ago, Tay said:

Based on Chris Russel's reporting, I doubt Scot will return.

A likely scenario would be an Eric Schaffer promotion to running the football operation.

If he can delegate, then he's got my vote even if he's comatose.  Our problem is people with an inverse relationship to the size of their egos versus the size of their acumen.

Delegate and add get the best scouting/facilities departments in the league.  That's how you win.

3 minutes ago, Tay said:

Based on Chris Russel's reporting, I doubt Scot will return.

A likely scenario would be an Eric Schaffer promotion to running the football operation.

Yeah that seems almost a given.  Russell seems to have a good source to the FO now.  He had the Scot story first.  The Doug story of him being promoted, too.  He also knew about multiple defensive coordinator interviews coming up before the beat guys knew about him.

As for Doug, he said Doug threatened to quit last year if he wasn't promoted.   

Archived