Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

So by my account, over the years we've heard (or have said):

2018 draft was due to Kyle Smith...

2017 draft was due to Scot's draft board before he got canned...

2015-2016 drafts were due Scot, though he apparently didn't have control over personnel because Bruce snatched it away from him...

2014 draft was due to Scot's scouting service...

2010-2013 drafts were due either Shanahan, Snyder or Allen, depending upon whether it ended up being a good pick or a bad pick lol...

Bruce Allen is a nincompoop when it comes to talent evaluation (which, let's face it, he probably is lol)...

Doug Williams is little more than a puppet promoted to placate an angry fan base...

The Skins spend too much in free agency...

The Skins don't spend enough in free agency...

Is it any wonder why I decided to just pay attention to the moves made instead of who makes them? lol...

So the article from NBC Sports is in BHRBN if you want to read it.

That being, I'll be on the move to Amsterdam for the next three days, so BHRBN will be moving rather slow as I'll probably be able to post only early in the morning and in the evening. So articles will come in bunch twice a day I believe.

19 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

So the article from NBC Sports is in BHRBN if you want to read it.

That being, I'll be on the move to Amsterdam for the next three days, so BHRBN will be moving rather slow as I'll probably be able to post only early in the morning and in the evening. So articles will come in bunch twice a day I believe.

So you'll be high and knee-deep in hookers from sun up till sun down. Got it.

20 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

So by my account, over the years we've heard (or have said):

2018 draft was due to Kyle Smith...

2017 draft was due to Scot's draft board before he got canned...

2015-2016 drafts were due Scot, though he apparently didn't have control over personnel because Bruce snatched it away from him...

2014 draft was due to Scot's scouting service...

2010-2013 drafts were due either Shanahan, Snyder or Allen, depending upon whether it ended up being a good pick or a bad pick lol...

Bruce Allen is a nincompoop when it comes to talent evaluation (which, let's face it, he probably is lol)...

Doug Williams is little more than a puppet promoted to placate an angry fan base...

The Skins spend too much in free agency...

The Skins don't spend enough in free agency...

Is it any wonder why I decided to just pay attention to the moves made instead of who makes them? lol...

So much this. And if he got canned this is exactly what people would say about those drafts but then still quote the 10 year record the entire time he was here. Lazy.

But seriously, at this point, what the heck does Bruce even do? So why get all caught up in Bruce Bruce Bruce and wasting all your energy on this guy when at the very least it appears his role is drastically diminishing? If that was Kyle Smith in there running the show for the draft and if that's a sign of things to come, I want that man promoted to General Manager immediately. That's the second year in a row where I'm not only happy about our early round selections, but legitimately impressed with the quality we got later in the draft. For the first time in my lifetime as a fan, we will feature a starting defensive line all drafted by the Redskins. I think we finally got that face of the franchise star that people fear around the league in Guice. And some really intriguing depth spread throughout the roster. We let the draft come to us, and get value out of each and every selection. Truly well done IMO and very excited to see what this season brings. Most talented roster top to bottom bar none since Danny has owned the team.

Hmmm... Is there a chance that his quote is saying " I'm not going there", referring to discussing going to the Raiders?

Like " don't go there" type of saying?  If so, I'm surprised there isn't a huge influx of photo-quotes hitting this thread.

If he's truly 'not' planning on leaving, then my Post Toasties just got a lot of yellow liquid in them.

If Bruce left I’m 1000% sure people will find another “he’s the problem” scapegoat in no time.  Snyder would shoot to the top of the list again, “the owners gotta go guy” love him. 

Gruden would be a very close second.

Clueless Doug would be an easy target as well.

I’m no Bruce fan, but I am anti Joe Internet GM who thinks he’s got it all figured out when it comes to his team. 

12 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

If Bruce left I’m 1000% sure people will find another “he’s the problem” scapegoat in no time.  Snyder would shoot to the top of the list again, “the owners gotta go guy” love him. 

I’m no Bruce fan, but I am anti Joe Internet GM who thinks he’s got it all figured out when it comes to his team. 

Clueless Doug? Nah

12 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

How can you call someone a "scapegoat" if they've been president and GM of the team for roughly 10 years and have the record over that time period that Bruce Allen has? (And was equally reviled in his previous job.) You don't call that guy a "scapegoat." You call that guy the antichrist.

13 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

This idea that fans just dislike anyone tied to the team IMO is wild.  Gruden from what I can see is mostly liked by the fans.  Why in part because he comes off likable and can talk on his feet and comes off competent.    Eric Schaffer league wise and with fans is respected -- the few times he speaks the dude comes off likable, too.

Bruce on the other hand via his gaffe public statements, clown shown handling of Kirk and Scot, clearly not respected by many around the league judging by polls relating to personnel guys, agents  -- totally different animal, different story.  Bruce has walked into IMO his opinion with fans. 

Doug is a bit more complex because he's tied to Bruce.  But he's likable.  

13 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

We don't believe we have it all figured out.  We'd merely like Dan to hire someone competent enough to figure it all out.  I don't think anyone here is under the impression that they know best how to run a professional football team.  However, I think we're all confident that Bruce Allen has had more than enough time to prove his worth in that department and has shown to be much less than stellar.

I was just reading NFL insider, they interviewed executives to judge other teams drafts.  Not much to note aside from they said they'd have taken Edmonds over Payne.  But what I think was really interesting is they highlight one person in the front office who is a good evaluator and to quote them "gives them a chance"

That man?  Drum roll....

Close

DFmU03pWAAELHJa.jpg:large
Previous
Next

The thing is I see Jay is sometimes linked with Bruce by both Bruce's critics and his defenders.  I disagree with both in that department.

As for some of Bruce's defenders linking in Jay as a package as if fans dislike both of them the same way.   IMO that's ridiculous.   Jay seems to be one of the most popular coaches we've had.  It's obvious that he's a good guy.  The feeling for many about Bruce and Jay are about as apples to oranges as it gets.

As for some of Bruce's critics who link Jay with Bruce as to the team treading water -- but for different reasons as to each's contribution to the mediocrity.  To each their own.  Personally, I think if you remove Jay from the equation, I wonder where this team would be?  I don't think it would be pretty.  Scot told me to my face (complemented no one else in this regard) that Jay is a great evaluator and great person.   Now we got executives saying the same as for him as an evaluator. 

Jay also IMO is a good play caller and good guy and maybe the only person (aside from Larry Michael) at Redskins Park who speaks publicly who seems completely at ease speaking on his feet.  He oozes likability, class and competence.  IMO that's the converse of Bruce. 

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just reading NFL insider, they interviewed executives to judge other teams drafts.  Not much to note aside from they said they'd have taken Edmonds over Payne. 

And guess who wanted Edmonds & guess who the tie breaker was. :) 

8 minutes ago, TK said:

And guess who wanted Edmonds & guess who the tie breaker was. :) 

Yeah I can imagine. :).  Doug admitted not everyone in the draft room agreed with the pick. Cooley said the same day he spoke to Jay, got a sense what he was thinking, and based on that he was floored by the pick. Without outright saying it, Cooley seemed to be saying Jay told him who he wanted and a player-players were higher on his want list who were available at the pick than Payne. 

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I wouldnt mind being cousisn cowgirl, if you catch my drift. That being said, timing is everything... and now that cousins is gone... well, i guess i’m gonna need to be SmithsSaltySnack perhaps?

Ohhhhhhhhh lol.....

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

And offensive line... if arie starts

yep, thought about that, too....Old Man Williams is the ancient one of the group and he's under 30 years old lol...

I like Dan, Bruce and Jay and think they are giving it their all.  Sure the press and some fans like to tear them down but I don't agree with most of it.  I certainly don't trust the press in their reporting since they're so biased against them and journalistic integrity no longer exists.  I guess we will find out soon enough though.

Archived