Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

6 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

For no reason whatsoever, I think today we start hearing some real leaks about the FO/New Coach search.

Russell just now.  His gut is that it goes down and Bruce is gone even though there is no leak to that effect.  He doubled down that Dan has to decide about cutting off a friendship but he thinks he ends up doing it. 

He thinks if Bruce stays, their coaching options are very limited.  Callahan would be interested and he presumes anyone else like him who would have no chance being hired by anyone else for HC. 

4 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well my gut says Bruce isn’t going anywhere. He’ll be given a new title.

Dan will give someone the gm title and go after a big name. He will be rejected and we get someone like Rex Ryan.

i don’t have any idea what’s going to happen, but this season Dan has had plenty of time to plan (unlike when Gibbs left).  Usually that means something’s up off a season this poor.  Only thing that would truly surprise me is a formal, objective search of the top potential GM candidates around the league.  In this situation in the past, Dan has typically given all power to one big name (e.g. Marty, Gibbs, Shanny).  Would not surprise me here. Would likely mean the end for Bruce. 

20 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

My gut tells me that Dan has never heard about the definition of insanity- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

This isn't a 6-10 record in a mediocre season that could have tilted either way. This season has been a train wreck far more than others. 

Either way, we don't have long to find out the immediate direction of the organisation. Within a week we will have a clearer idea in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

My gut tells me that Dan has never heard about the definition of insanity- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

The irony of this statement is how well it applies to each and every one of us.

Listening to Charlie Casserly just now. 

He says he has heard there are rumblings about FO changes.  He said someone he knows close to Urban Meyer who quizzed him recently about whether a coach can win here if they have full control.

At the same time, he more or less said if he were Dan he'd ignore all the outside noise and keep the FO status quo since they've had some recent good drafts.

Casserly doesn't seem to think that highly about college coaches transition to the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

This isn't a 6-10 record in a mediocre season that could have tilted either way. This season has been a train wreck far more than others. 

Either way, we don't have long to find out the immediate direction of the organisation. Within a week we will have a clearer idea in my opinion.

What!?

Jay Gruden was actively sabotaging this team in the early going. 

Reuben Foster, who would have had at least 9 sacks and 7 interceptions along with 232 tackles went down to a non contact injury in OTAs. Jordan Reed was going to have a 125 catch 1,800 yard season and Vernon Davis would have added another 75 catches for 1,023 yards.  Trent Williams also single handedly ruined our season.

In convincing Williams to return, implanting Reed with a new improved body, de-aging Vernon with CGI, getting Reuben out of a glass case and Haskins tremendous development once Gruden was stopped trying to upend the entire organization, the team is a 15-1 candidate.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What!?

Jay Gruden was actively sabotaging this team in the early going. 

Reuben Foster, who would have had at least 9 sacks and 7 interceptions along with 232 tackles went down to a non contact injury in OTAs. Jordan Reed was going to have a 125 catch 1,800 yard season and Vernon Davis would have added another 75 catches for 1,023 yards.  Trent Williams also single handedly ruined our season.

In convincing Williams to return, implanting Reed with a new improved body, de-aging Vernon with CGI, getting Reuben out of a glass case and Haskins tremendous development once Gruden was stopped trying to upend the entire organization, the team is a 15-1 candidate.

Sadly, I bet they have multiple stories like that every year.  The if and buts were candy and nuts we'd all be having a wonderful Christmas stuff.   No team has been killing it with narratives of woulda coulda more than this teams for years.    But I bet we got round 11 going for Bruce for the explanation for why 2020 is the season when it all comes together.

5 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I am surprised that Casserly is suggesting to keep Allen.   I am sure the good drafts were a by product of good scouting and the work of Smith in the front office.

From what I've heard he's gotten somewhat tight with both Allen and Dan.  You can see him here and there on the sidelines during practice. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what I've heard he's gotten somewhat tight with both Allen and Dan.  You can see him he and there on the sidelines during practice. 

I was going to say the same thing. Casserly likes Allen from what I have heard. And Casserly doesn't want to burn bridges that he could take advantage of later down the road, either. Which, if Casserly were to become the Skins GM at this point in the timeline you can find me curled up in a ball.

"Oh, you support Allen? Thank you. You have just rendered yourself unqualified, sir. Good bye."

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They are talking on the radio right now about Meyer as HC, Alex Smith part of the FO, and something relating to Dan in the Bahamas.  But I can't find a story on the internet right now that matches up to what they are talking about. 

Not directed at you or anyone in particular, but what is giving people the idea that Smith would be in any way an asset in the front office?  I know the buddy relationship, I just mean why are people not unhappy with this idea?  It just makes no sense to me, same with Hall being a part of the FO.  To be honest, even Williams being there confuses me.

But to keep it relevant, can someone explain to me the allure of Smith in the FO?

15 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Why? Dude is a clearly a Snyder/Allen mouthpiece (the thought of which is patently hilarious... Like, those really exist?)

It makes absolutely no sense considering Charlie is one of the first people Dan bounced out on his ear after getting the team.

14 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Not directed at you or anyone in particular, but what is giving people the idea that Smith would be in any way an asset in the front office?  I know the buddy relationship, I just mean why are people not unhappy with this idea?  It just makes no sense to me, same with Hall being a part of the FO.  To be honest, even Williams being there confuses me.

But to keep it relevant, can someone explain to me the allure of Smith in the FO?

I want a regular personnel dude running personnel.   I don't think Alex has any scouting experience, etc.  It's weird on 980 they sourced a story from some local media I think TV personality about they heard something relating to Dan doing something in the Bahamas (I missed part of that narrative so I don't know what the Bahamas has to do with the story) and that related to both Urban Meyer as coach and Alex as part of the FO.  But then they've gone away from that story.  I am presuming its just pure gossip. 

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

It makes absolutely no sense considering Charlie is one of the first people Dan bounced out on his ear after getting the team.

Dan long time ago said publicly he fired the wrong guy -- saying Charlie was fine, it was Norv he should have fired.  I've heard multiple times that he and Charlie are on good terms. 

Archived