Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

15 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Doug? We've never heard a story of Doug having any power in the draft room, never mind actually making decisions and picks. Would that have been kept quiet, really? Even if he was using Kyle Smith's board, they'd have loved to flaunt Doug making the picks as it would give his figurehead BS title some actual weight with the fans who never bought it. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I would say its much more likely Kyle.  Not Kyle/Doug. 

Pretty much everyone who covers the team has said Doug hasn't taking the lead on evaluations and he's more of a facilitator than anything in that building.    Doug just happens be the dude who spills the stories since he goes on Doc's shows and Kyle talks very little.  So Doug spilled the beans that not everyone agreed on picking Payne 2 years ago.  And he shared the Quinn story among others. 

I'd presume Doug wouldn't voluntarily share stories that make him or anyone look bad in that FO.    

I'm specifically referencing the story Doug told on Radio either right after the draft where he told the story that Jay was hot to trot on drafting Quinn in the 5th round and Doug said HE told him to wait and they would get him later.  Might he have been taking credit for Kyle? I don't know.  I don't know if there are quotes from this radio interview somewhere, but I heard it and posted about it pretty much immediately in the context of Jay wanting a guy who was going to possibly go undrafted in the 5th.

Doug was sortof laughing as he said it, like he had to rein Jay in and tell him it was ok, and they should wait on Quinn.  

Again, true or not, I have no idea. But that was the story Doug put out there right after the draft.  

7 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

IB just retweeted...

Who is IB?

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm specifically referencing the story Doug told on Radio either right after the draft where he told the story that Jay was hot to trot on drafting Quinn in the 5th round and Doug said HE told him to wait and they would get him later.  Might he have been taking credit for Kyle? I don't know.  I don't know if there are quotes from this radio interview somewhere, but I heard it and posted about it pretty much immediately in the context of Jay wanting a guy who was going to possibly go undrafted in the 5th.

Doug was sortof laughing as he said it, like he had to rein Jay in and tell him it was ok, and they should wait on Quinn.  

Again, true or not, I have no idea. But that was the story Doug put out there right after the draft.  

Who is IB?

Sorry, Incarcerated Bob. Not formal media but sometimes hears things. He first tweeted this back on 12/9. Just retweeted it about an hour ago. 

6 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

1000% this.  Typical "everyone is stupid except us" mindset. 

They're SO smart they're the ONLY ones who see all this potential in guys who have no qualifications!!!

Would literally ANYONE else even consider a hiring process like this?  No?  Ok.... sure I'll trust you to do the unconventional thing Dan.  You haven't let us down so far.

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

My guess is most owners decide who their next coach is. Sure, influence from a GM or others takes place, but this idea a GM chooses a coach while the owner just sits back is laughable. 

Dan has been poor in executing various things in the past, but if he were to land Meyer that should be celebrated, in my view. 

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

My guess is most owners decide who their next coach is. Sure, influence from a GM or others takes place, but this idea a GM chooses a coach while the owner just sits back is laughable. 

Dan has been poor in executing various things in the past, but if he were to land Meyer that should be celebrated, in my view. 

Why? Who says Meyers can coach in the NFL? He’s really more of an unknown. What makes people think he’ll be successful in the NFL?

Read this on the Cowboys board...Dallas fans sound exactly like Redskins fans (or vise versa). Thought this summed up the problem with the Skins’ FO structure nicely:

The beauty about how Dallas does things is that it is all a "group effort".

So nobody is to blame.

Taco Charlton instead of Watt? Oh we all decided on that together. Trysten Hill instead of a variety of better players? Nope, we all talked about it and were aligned.

Everyone takes a bullet, nobody bleeds for it though.”

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

And it won't be the last time if he's hired by Doofus Dan and Bumbling Bruce.

Funny thing is Gibbs 2 was told by his wife he’ll ruin his good name taking the job and Shanahan warned Kyle about ruining his reputation coming for a rebuild. Seems like everyone except Dan know how bad this job is. Without the owner taking any public accountability ever, I’m not sure this franchise can be legitimately turned around.

Just now, posse87 said:

Funny thing is Gibbs 2 was told by his wife he’ll ruin his good name taking the job and Shanahan warned Kyle about ruining his reputation coming for a rebuild. Seems like everyone except Dan know how bad this job is. Without the owner taking any public accountability ever, I’m not sure this franchise can be legitimately turned around.

And both Marty and Gibbs highly recommended to Shanahan that he take the job and both praised Snyder as an owner to coach for...

7 minutes ago, posse87 said:

Weird, I give up trying to understand the dysfunction

Sure, no observer, no matter how informed, can figure out what is wrong with the Redskins.

it's as unknowable as what happened to Jimmy Hoffa and was there really a city of Atlantis. I'm going to work on figuring out the problem in DC as soon as I find the treasure on Oak island. 

Just now, wit33 said:

This fan base has been so beaten up over the last 20 years, it has developed something of post traumatic football ownership syndrome.  Where the ideal world for an owner is essentially to pick somebody else to run the organization, and just write checks with absolutely no involvement, conversations, or meetings with anybody.  Ever.  Under any circumstance.

You're right.  The owner ALWAYS picks the coach in the end.  It might come at the recommendation or the GM.  But there isn't an owner in the NFL who is going to just say, "ok, GM.  Go pick the coach and tell me who you have decided on."  That just doesn't happen.  I doubt there is a billionaire alive who would go along with the hire of a top executive without at least being comfortable with it themselves.  And they shouldn't.  

Dan has screwed up a ton of things, but as an owner of the football team, he is going to ultimately decide on the executives (and I include HC as an exec) who is running the team.  It's basically it's 

Just now, wit33 said:

If he lands Meyer, people will complain because he will be giving a coach GM responsibilties as well.  People are just going to complain at this point until there is a period of sustained success. And I don't blame them. 

Personally, I think if they hire Meyer, promote Kyle Smith, bring Alex Smith into the FO, and hire a solid defensive staff, I think that would be a good start.

But it's going to take a few years to really change the narrative, and a few competitive seasons.  And that's not 9-7 or 8-8. That's 10-6 or better and doing something in the playoffs a few years, and then, and only then will people start to give somewhat of the benefit of the doubt to this organization.

but it's years off.

29 minutes ago, posse87 said:

Why? Who says Meyers can coach in the NFL? He’s really more of an unknown. What makes people think he’ll be successful in the NFL?

Nothing. But there's also nothing to say he can't.  And he is a madly successful coach, seems to have a good eye for talent, and is probably a better bet than other first time NFL coaches.

It might not work out.

But it might.

52 minutes ago, posse87 said:

Well, I mean you never know for sure, but he has a rich history of success. I think there’s leftover association with the college coach not being to succeed in the NFL, but the college approach continues to infiltrate the NFL, especially stuff Meyer pioneered. Must admit though, I’d like the idea of Meyer coming in with a supreme dual threat QB, but I’m sure he can make it happen with Haskins. 

Also, Spurrier has traumatized us all, but he was a rare dude lol His work ethic was laughable. Meyer is wired muuuuch differently which one could use to criticize hiring him, as he could burn out in the middle of the process. Worth the risk, in my view, but can understand the argument. 

More playing devils advocate. At this point I’m not sure I will see another championship in our lifetimes. It’s sad when hope is taken away. The only current NFL coach with a college championship and a Super Bowl is Pete Carol. And he was in the NFL before going to USC. Just food for Thought. 

11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Well, I mean you never know for sure, but he has a rich history of success. I think there’s leftover association with the college coach not being to succeed in the NFL, but the college approach continues to infiltrate the NFL, especially stuff Meyer pioneered. Must admit though, I’d like the idea of Meyer coming in with a supreme dual threat QB, but I’m sure he can make it happen with Haskins. 

Also, Spurrier has traumatized us all, but he was a rare dude lol His work ethic was laughable. Meyer is wired muuuuch differently which one could use to criticize hiring him, as he could burn out in the middle of the process. Worth the risk, in my view, but can understand the argument. 

5 minutes ago, posse87 said:

More playing devils advocate. At this point I’m not sure I will see another championship in our lifetimes. It’s sad when hope is taken away. The only current NFL coach with a college championship and a Super Bowl is Pete Carol. And he was in the NFL before going to USC. Just food for Thought. 

To strengthen your point, Pete Carroll was an NFL guy and had two NFL head coaching jobs (Jets and Patriots) before coaching at USC. 

Not a right or wrong, but I don’t get too hung up on Super Bowls being the end all be all to any argument, it’s so damn hard to win it and so much has to go your way in a season. I don’t have a full spectrum of college coaches making the transition to the NFL to use historical data to support being in support of Meyer, but from afar I like what he’s accomplished and him being at the forefront football trends. I can appreciate a guy being wired this way, not to mention the reports of how maniacal he is in the details and his overall work ethic. The organization is starving for this kind of brain power, innovation, leadership etc..

Throw my guy Alex Smith in there and I’m ready to get back into battle with all those who hate Dan and the organization ;)  Admittedly, this year has provided me no ammunition lol

Archived