Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

14 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Not directed at you or anyone in particular, but what is giving people the idea that Smith would be in any way an asset in the front office?  I know the buddy relationship, I just mean why are people not unhappy with this idea?  It just makes no sense to me, same with Hall being a part of the FO.  To be honest, even Williams being there confuses me.

But to keep it relevant, can someone explain to me the allure of Smith in the FO?

Nobody knows anything at all but when incompetence is utterly predictable then you have to predict dumb **** like Alex Smith as GM and DeAngelo Hall as his leading assistant.

Mark Gray, apparently is a 980 guy, haven't heard of him, he's the source.  He just jumped on the station. 

Dan had a summit meeting recently in the Bahamas.  Among the conclusions:  Meyer is HC.  Alex Smith in the FO with some position.  He's not sure about what happens with Bruce.  Meyer would have some hand in personnel, too.

Dan is uncomfortable with the perception people have around the league that it isn't a franchise destination spot anymore.  He wants to make a splash.  Meyer is the dude.  He heard they are doing stuff including getting the Ohio State fight song ready for the announcement.  

Listening to the dude, I wouldn't treat it obviously as gospel. Just more gossip.   You'd figure Schefter or someone who nail a story like this first but I guess you never know.  But I'll give him credit on one front, unlike the other guys covering all this, this dude is sticking his neck out and saying Meyer would be announced as the guy.  He's not hedging on the story. 

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What!?

Jay Gruden was actively sabotaging this team in the early going. 

Reuben Foster, who would have had at least 9 sacks and 7 interceptions along with 232 tackles went down to a non contact injury in OTAs. Jordan Reed was going to have a 125 catch 1,800 yard season and Vernon Davis would have added another 75 catches for 1,023 yards.  Trent Williams also single handedly ruined our season.

In convincing Williams to return, implanting Reed with a new improved body, de-aging Vernon with CGI, getting Reuben out of a glass case and Haskins tremendous development once Gruden was stopped trying to upend the entire organization, the team is a 15-1 candidate.

Can we find a way to get an interview for the GM spot? You are exactly what Dan wants. Although you might have to report to Bruce so that he can get the credit for flawlessly executing this plan.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mark Gray, apparently is a 980 guy, haven't heard of him, he's the source.  He just jumped on the station. 

Dan had a summit meeting recently in the Bahamas.  Among the conclusions:  Meyer is HC.  Alex Smith in the FO with some position.  He's not sure about what happens with Bruce.  Meyer would have some hand in personnel, too.

Dan is uncomfortable with the perception people have around the league that it isn't a franchise destination spot anymore.  He wants to make a splash.  Meyer is the dude.  He heard they are doing stuff including getting the Ohio State fight song ready for the announcement.  

Listening to the dude, I wouldn't treat it obviously as gospel. Just more gossip.   You'd figure Schefter or someone who nail a story like this first but I guess you never know.  But I'll give him credit on one front, unlike the other guys covering all this, this dude is sticking his neck out and saying Meyer would be announced as the guy.  He's not hedging on the story. 

Big concern that I have is the Rooney Rule.  The NFL could penalized the Skins if this indeed comes to pass but then again the Rooney Rule is broken all the time and it not given justice it deserves.  Bruce needs to be gone from the team though.  Having him in any capacity speaks for itself.  Interesting news none the less.  We wait until after Sunday.

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They are talking on the radio right now about Meyer as HC, Alex Smith part of the FO, and something relating to Dan in the Bahamas.  But I can't find a story on the internet right now that matches up to what they are talking about. 

Did they gave the cheerleaders their passport back this time???

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Big concern that I have is the Rooney Rule.  The NFL could penalized the Skins if this indeed comes to pass but then again the Rooney Rule is broken all the time and it not given justice it deserves.  Bruce needs to be gone from the team though.  Having him in any capacity speaks for itself.  Interesting news none the less.  We wait until after Sunday.

Don't worry about that, you'll learn quickly that Doug was interviewed for the job for 3 minutes.

13 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Can we find a way to get an interview for the GM spot? You are exactly what Dan wants. Although you might have to report to Bruce so that he can get the credit for flawlessly executing this plan.

It's on my to do list. Right along side genetic cloning while removing injury prone aspects of a players' specific DNA. It's a long process, but I think if I can get close to Darrell Green, Ken Harvey, London Fletcher, Art Monk, Terry McLaurin, John Riggins, Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, Sammy Baugh, etc., I can get a strand of hair to create their clones. Physically, I will try to get LaVar cloned as well, but with a little less spunk. 

I'm also trying to master real life CGI. But that's proving to be much more difficult.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

In convincing Williams to return, implanting Reed with a new improved body, de-aging Vernon with CGI, getting Reuben out of a glass case and Haskins tremendous development once Gruden was stopped trying to upend the entire organization, the team is a 15-1 candidate.

The guy was simply saying this year hasn’t been like the previous four where Skins were in contention for playoffs until late in the season. For the average teams a bounce here and there goes your way and playoffs are a result, as you know. This season was wasted, it all should’ve been scrapped last year, but this is how you tank a season that some were clamoring to do. 

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Does KOC have any connections to Meyer?? 

I highly doubt that rumor.  Meyer would be a fool to take this job before he even gets a chance to interview for the future Dallas HC opening. 

I’m sure we’ll still hire a coach before we bring in a GM though. It’s laughable the degree to which we always somehow screw up the re-building process. It should be GM -> HC -> QB, so of course we’ll be going QB -> HC -> GM.  Forcing a QB on a coach and forcing a coach on a GM. 

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

I highly doubt that rumor.  Meyer would be a fool to take this job before he even gets a chance to interview for the future Dallas HC opening. 

I’m sure we’ll still hire a coach before we bring in a GM though. It’s laughable the degree to which we always somehow screw up the re-building process. It should be GM -> HC -> QB, so of course we’ll be going QB -> HC -> GM.  Forcing a QB on a coach and forcing a coach on a GM. 

I'm not convinced that hiring a coach to "be in charge" is a terrible approach. Look at Buffalo. McDermott was hired before Beane. McD wanted Beane because they know each other, trust each other and are good at collaborating. Beane knows what McDermott needs for his systems to work. It can be done correctly doing it that way as long as the GM and HC have clearly defined roles and they work together rather than opposed to each other. 

Of course, it works the other way, too. And it's a more traditional model. So I can't get down on the idea.

But where we agree is QB is always after the GM/HC dynamic is figured out.

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I'm buying the Urban story. I'm good as long as Allen is done. 

That’s the one thing I noticed is not there. There is no mention of Allen getting fired. Just a reference to “Front office shakeup”, which could mean just a rearranging of titles thinking the fans will buy it.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Power and control.

Dallas does not offer you either. 

Not with elite coaches, they get hired, then have a say in the GM. The teams with elite culture often hire up and comers and groom them to fit into the culture (Harbaugh and Tomlin types). 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Day from Ohio State is close with both Meyer and O'Connell. 

Thank you. Was aware of that, just wasn’t sure if there was any direct connection to Meyer. 

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I don't know why any coach would want to coach for the Cowboys with the two idiots that are running that team..

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I am surprised that Casserly is suggesting to keep Allen.   I am sure the good drafts were a by product of good scouting and the work of Smith in the front office.

Why?  Casserly is utterly clueless these days.  Maybe he caught some infectious CTE.

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

Are their 2 idiots worse than ours though?

At least theirs sign their players when it's time to.

One could argue that Zeke was paid entirely too much money and hi 47 yard performance against Philly, followed by him leading the time directly downfield at the start of the third quarter and then immediately tapping out for a spell (where his backup got a pitch and fumbled) proves that he wasn't worth that kind of coin. 

They haven't signed Dak yet.

They haven't signed Cooper yet.

Oh and their top two... neither are going anywhere for the time being. At least we have the opportunity for one of the two to move on. 

4 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Are their 2 idiots worse than ours though?

At least theirs sign their players when it's time to.

If Allen is gone at least there would be hope,but for the Cowboys no such thing exist as long as the Jones idiots are make all the decisions..No coach will ever have any control in Dallas.

16 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Dallas wouldn’t definitely offer him control of front office. No guarantee they’d want him over, say, Riley or that they’ll definitely make a change. 

Skins offering all control now = bird in hand.  I could see Urban pulling the trigger. 

Archived