Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

The cool thing about drafting well is it means you won't suffer from being in salary cap hell, even if thats technically where you are, because you can let more expensive guys go and draft their replacements...also giving you a leg up in the compensatory pick game, which gives you more picks and more cheap talent, continuing the cycle...and then eventually your roster is back to being far enough under the salary cap that you can make a big push again if you want, even if you've never stopped being competitive. 

Getting back to specifically the Eagles...they also have Wentz fairly cheap for 2 more years and an option for a 3rd at less than market value. 

Basically they're set up to curb stomp us both on the field and in the off-season for many years. Great.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The cool thing about drafting well is it means you won't suffer from being in salary cap hell, even if thats technically where you are, because you can let more expensive guys go and draft their replacements...also giving you a leg up in the compensatory pick game, which gives you more picks and more cheap talent, continuing the cycle...and then eventually your roster is back to being far enough under the salary cap that you can make a big push again if you want, even if you've never stopped being competitive. 

Getting back to specofically the Eagles...they also have Wentz fairly cheap for 2 more years and an option for a 3rd at less than market value. 

Yeah, all of that is dead on. 

It will be kind of interesting seeing how the Eagles play this. They're not in big trouble, but they're a bit over. Blount is the only guy you would think they really need to re-sign and he won't be expensive (though Bradham and Burton would be good guys to bring back). Celek would seem an obvious cut and maybe Torrey Smith. The rest you would think they would handle with re-strucutres. But then they don't have a ton of space next year, with some more costly FAs (Graham, Ajayi, Agholor, Darby... obviously I would assume Foles is let go).

Kind of wonder if they don't get proactive and cut bait on Jason Peters. At his age and injury history, he would seem to be the kind of guy you let move on so you can hold onto the rest of that roster. I would also think they listen to offers for Foles, though I've said people here talking about them getting a "bounty" for him is silly.

Should be mentioned that they don't have picks in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this year.

I would guess they let Blount go. They dealt a mid-rounder for Ajayi, and he's looked good. They have a couple young guys vying for the Sproles role and they also have Corey Clement (who I think would easily be our starting RB) as their all-around COP/backup RB. 

I don't think they really have any hard decisions this year, you listed some easy cuts for them...its next year when things get interesting imo. And so much can change between now and then. 

Either way I'm jealous of their owner, their FO structure and personnel department, their coaching staff, and their roster. What a depressing mess for Skins fans right now. 

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't think they really have any hard decisions this year, you listed some easy cuts for them...its next year when things get interesting imo. And so much can change between now and then. 

Yeah, my point wasn't that they need to make big changes now, but that maybe they would get out ahead of things. Moving Peters (who obviously hasn't been crucial to their run)  saves money now so they don't have to re-strucuture as much, and no dead cap hit.  I'm wondering if they move him or Foles to get ready for next year, not this year.

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Either way I'm jealous of their owner, their FO structure and personnel department, their coaching staff, and their roster. What a depressing mess for Skins fans right now. 

Agreed.

I’m as down as anyone about what happened last offseason and Doug being elevated, but I think we should be fair.

Not blaming anyone here, as that’s mainly the reporter’s fault for making that quote seem like the only thing he said, but here it is: 

In that context it makes a bit more sense. Still, you definitely don’t want the word “crapshoot” coming out of the mouth of your top personnel guy. Not good. 

Here’s the rest: 

“It all depends what’s in the guy’s heart, and how they look at this thing and how they take the game,” he said. “The most important thing, if they play this game with a lot of passion and a lot of heart, with the abilities that they do have, nine out of ten they’re gonna be successful.”

^^Much better elaboration there. But, again, rule no. 1 for personnel guys should be to avoid the word crapshoot, lol. 

Wow, that series of quotes is one of the most laughable pathetic things Ive seen, even from this organization.

Jay Gruden doesnt know one of his biggest FA acquisitions?  Bruce Allen things we just need to add back in our injured players from last year? And Doug Williams thinks his job and ability to do it is just a crapshoot.

Fantastic!

So my question is, if we fail to resign both Cousins and Zach Brown, will Snyder then fire Allen, or will he keep going with this circus?

3 hours ago, Peregrine said:

So my question is, if we fail to resign both Cousins and Zach Brown, will Snyder then fire Allen, or will he keep going with this circus?

The circus is going round in circles, so it won't stop. Snyder will keep BA because of the new stadium project which means $, and of course winning off the field !:silly:

On 1/21/2018 at 9:39 PM, Makaveli said:

Jerry Jones (1989)   - 4 NFCCG Appearances, 3 Super Bowl Appearances, 3 Super Bowls

Jeff Lurie (1994)       - 6 NFCCG Appearances, 2 Super Bowl Appearances, 0 Super Bowls

John Mara* (2005)    - 2 NFCCG Appearances, 2 Super Bowl Appearances, 2 Super Bowls

Dan Snyder (1999)    - 0 NFCCG Appearances, 0 Super Bowl Appearances, 0 Super Bowls

*Not including the run the Giants made when they played the Ravens in the Super Bowl.

Howie Roseman has the Eagles playing for a Super Bowl soon after Chip dismantled that team. Meanwhile Snyder and Allen are spinning their wheels. Is there any hope for this team?

That is a devastating indictment of just how awful this FO has been since before 2000, and will continue to be for the next 30 years until Snyder finally keels over and dies.

Dead last in pretty much every category against every team in the NFCE, with zero hope for improvement.

Thanks Dan.

17 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

That is a devastating indictment of just how awful this FO has been since before 2000, and will continue to be for the next 30 years until Snyder finally keels over and dies.

Dead last in pretty much every category against every team in the NFCE, with zero hope for improvement.

Thanks Dan.

10 years ago, this would have infuriated me. I'm numb now.

Last night on Czaban they said that AJ Smiths son was running the show along with Eric Schaffer, supposedly he's an up and coming star and Scott M liked him a lot.

I had never heard of the guy until the other day, does anyone else know anything about this.

They made it sound as if this guy is setting our draft board this year.

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Last night on Czaban they said that AJ Smiths son was running the show along with Eric Schaffer, supposedly he's an up and coming star and Scott M liked him a lot.

I had never heard of the guy until the other day, does anyone else know anything about this.

They made it sound as if this guy is setting our draft board this year.

Don't remember his name but the dude setting the board is whomever is in charge of college scouting.  I know it's not Doug.  I heard the same thing a few weeks ago when someone was interviewing Doug.

(EDIT) Ah, well that would be Kyle Smith... MIGHT be related to AJ :rofl89:

6 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Wow, that series of quotes is one of the most laughable pathetic things Ive seen, even from this organization.

Jay Gruden doesnt know one of his biggest FA acquisitions?  Bruce Allen things we just need to add back in our injured players from last year? And Doug Williams thinks his job and ability to do it is just a crapshoot.

Fantastic!

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I would rather say that the guy didn't impress the coach enough to remember him.

Funny thing is I had the same conversation with JSteelz last night & it took both of us a minute or two to remember McClain. So that's 3 guys McClain didn't impress.  :ols: 

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I guess in a year or two we'll start hearing the dirt on this guy once it becomes evident that they aren't going to win without a franchise QB.

I almost feel bad for the guy. AJ should have stayed in California.

This was posted in the Kirk thread but I thought it was worth a mention since it's primarily about Allen.

Washington Times: Losing Cousins should be last straw for Bruce Allen

The Prince of Darkness has priced his own quarterback out of the team’s reach.

There might have been a time when Cousins was willing to sign a long-term contract, but I’m not sure when.

Allen, whose job it is to manage owner Dan Snyder as well as the franchise, allowed such a toxic atmosphere to exist under Robert Griffin III that by the time he became damaged goods, Cousins was soured on any future with the Washington Redskins. That’s on Allen, too.

Their one chance might have been when McCloughan wanted to sign Cousins when he was an affordable commodity early in 2015 — something Allen refused to pursue. Remember, it was reportedly McCloughan — not Allen — who had to convince Snyder that Cousins, not Griffin, should be the starter that season.

Archived