Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Doug may occupy the title, but he's not charged with carrying out any of the responsibilities that are attendant to that position. I'm cool with it. It's good to bring back the legends. But it's clear that Last Name Allen elevated him to that position in order to abate the fallout from sacking McCloughan. Fans were rightfully livid. But LNA smoothed it all over for the owner, I'm sure. "Hey, don't worry Dan. I just fired the best real GM the team has had since Beathard. But it's all good. You remember the 2nd quarter of Super Bowl XXII, don't you? Of course you do. Ol' #17 himself is gonna be the new VP for player personnel. Forgot about the other guy already, haven't you? Scot who? Here, have a Coors Light."

LNA has been running a con on Snyder from day one. The carnival shell game with Doug's elevation and McCloughan's dismissal is just one example. And I will repeat -- the team does not need him in order to secure a deal for a new stadium, regardless of the location. He's convinced Snyder otherwise, not surprisingly.

So Dan’s apparently unhappy, but doesn’t want to change anything.

I kinda get the feeling that the 2018 season is the “performance improvement plan” season.  You give Bruce and Jay a goal, and if they screw it up, then they’re gone.

I guess that’s fine. But it probably leads to another wasted season.  

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I kinda get the feeling that the 2018 season is the “performance improvement plan” season.  You give Bruce and Jay a goal, and if they screw it up, then they’re gone.

I agree. That's what 2017 should have been. I sense that the injuries that have depleted the roster in certain areas will be used as the key justification to push the decision making process back another 12 months. 

Whist there may may be some merit in that, I personally think that is a weak approach to ownership/leadership/management.

I also really think that this whole survey thing was Dan trying to justify to himself he needs to make a change.  He probably knows what needs to be done but doesn’t really know Bruce’s replacement, doesn’t really WANT to go down that path, so he’s hoping and praying they figure it out next year.

But hope is not a management strategy. 

This should energize the fan base, a more active Bruce in football affairs. 

Chris Russell Retweeted Burgundy Blog

Don't laugh too hard. Reported something similar to this last summer based on what a top exec told me. Bruce hates being labeled as a non football guy. #Redskins

Roaring LOL at this Rap tidbit on #Redskins! ?http://burgundy.blog/K5KjO 

DSVpDflXkAA3cwX.jpg

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Then we'll definitely see a franchise tag on Cousins.  No way they'd put their jobs on the line with Colt/draft pick and I don't see a long term deal if that is general feeling around the building.

Our schedule next year (in terms of opponents) is absolutely brutal. It obviously won't happen, but I can rationalize us losing every one of those games individually. I have no confidence that this isn't all gonna fall apart in 2018 anyways, regardless of giving Allen and Gruden another shot at it, regardless of Cousins. 

4 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Then we'll definitely see a franchise tag on Cousins.  No way they'd put their jobs on the line with Colt/draft pick and I don't see a long term deal if that is general feeling around the building.

Well, the other side would be if they pick a QB in the draft, they can argued they need a couple years to see how he develops.  

“Dan, we just got this QB.  We need 2 or three years of going 8-8 before you fire us!”

9 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Yeah, this is likely the second offseason in a row where our most important personnel decision will be based on what is best for Bruce Allen, not what's best for the Washington Redskins.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, the other side would be if they pick a QB in the draft, they can argued they need a couple years to see how he develops.  

“Dan, we just got this QB.  We need 2 or three years of going 8-8 before you fire us!”

That's the endless circle of mediocrity and the thing is that it's totally realistic with the way this organization has been run.  They could care less about improvement as long as the $$$ keeps rolling in

1 minute ago, SAli457180 said:

That's the endless circle of mediocrity and the thing is that it's totally realistic with the way this organization has been run.  They could care less about improvement as long as the $$$ keeps rolling in

I actually think Dan wants to be a winner.  His problem is that he puts trust in the wrong person. And doesn’t like to make uncomfortable decisions.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I actually think Dan wants to be a winner.  His problem is that he puts trust in the wrong person. And doesn’t like to make uncomfortable decisions.

Of course he wants to win, and making uncomfortable decisions like a hiring an actual GM is what's going to continue to hold this organization back from actual progress to the next level on a consistent basis. 

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He wants to win. But, in the same respect, a meth addict wants to be wealthy and a slothful overeater wants to be healthy. 

That desire means nothing if you don't want it enough to change your behavior in a way that makes it possible.

For those that think it takes a long time to rebuild. Look at the 49ers.  They were disgustingly awful until the Garrapalo trade, and while it is too soon to anoint Jimmy G as something special at the this moment, it still is a lens into how different the 49ers might have been over a 16 game season had they not suffered through inept QB play for the first 10 weeks.  How much of that 49ers roster still exists from their 2011-2014 run?  Not much, at all.  Carlos Hyde....but he was a baby who was brought in during the tail end as Frank Gore was showing wear & tear due to age.  That defense has been almost completely rebuilt through the draft in a matter of a few seasons and also Jimmy G was doing it without the services of Garcon who will return from injury  next season.

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Our schedule next year (in terms of opponents) is absolutely brutal. It obviously won't happen, but I can rationalize us losing every one of those games individually. I have no confidence that this isn't all gonna fall apart in 2018 anyways, regardless of giving Allen and Gruden another shot at it, regardless of Cousins. 

How the F do we end up with that as a 3rd place schedule? That's ridiculous.

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

if they go eight and eight with Colt and or a rookie  then they would deserve to keep their jobs

20 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

What endless circle of mediocrity?  From 2000-2014, the SnyderSkins were in an endless circle of abject failure.  The mediocrity of these last three seasons is a big step up.

Uh, no its not.  From 1999-2002 we had a better stretch, and from 2005-2008 we also had a better stretch, 8 of the 14 years.  Attempting to paint the last 2-5 years in a positive light is a fruitless endeavor.

And can we get over the myth that Dan wants to be a winner?  Its just not true.  I mean its true in the sense that a small part of him DOES want to win, but life is full of competing wants.  Everybody wants to be fit, to eat right, to work hard, to have great relationships, but few people WANT that bad enough to do all of the work required.  Instead they have competing wants such as to eat something really delicious, to be comfortable, to not come out of their shell/etc/etc. So if you want other things more to the point where you wont put ANY effort into your small minor wants than no, you dont actually want that in the sense we talk about it.  Dan Snyder wants to make lots of money, and to have power, he doesnt want to win.  You know it is true that if Dan Snyder was offered the option of not making much money, and giving away control, so the team would make the playoffs every year, and making more money and retaining control but the team would go 3-13 every year, he would chose the later.  Hes had endless opportunities to do otherwise, but retaining Bruce to make money on the stadium is the proof positive of that.

And as for Bruce and Jay, Im all for giving people second chances, and for reasonable excuses such as injury issues.  But this isnt Bruce and Jays 2nd year here.  It isnt their 3rd.  Every year theres a new excuse, and it seems semi-valid, until you look back 4-5 years later and see wait, every year was a failure.  For one reason or another other teams got it done and we failed year in and year out.  Jay Gruden has made the playoffs 1 time in 4 years.  There is no good coach in the NFL right now that has done that with their current team.  Hes not a good coach.  Jay Gruden isnt improving, his teams are getting worse.  Last years team was worse than the team from 2 years ago.  This years team was worse than last years team.  Sure, it looked better at times, but once again his team performed one of the most amazing choke jobs in NFL history, and finished a step below where they were.  Bruce Allen continues to hire/extend him, and now has only 1 season above 7-9 in his 6 seasons as defacto GM, and it was the RG3/Morris miracle season. 2017 should have been a prove it season, and yet it isnt.  So fans will make excuses for yet another terrible 2018, when Cousins leaves, and we get a new QB, and find out that despite his big failures, Cousins was the sole difference between us being 4-12 and 7-9 this year.  

25 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

And can we get over the myth that Dan wants to be a winner?  Its just not true.  I mean its true in the sense that a small part of him DOES want to win, but life is full of competing wants. 

stuffed-crust-pizza.jpg

Dan wants his stuffed crust pizza and he'll just wear an ABS tshirt which will still fool 2/3s of the fans for a few years anyway.

If fans raise enough hell he might even find another McCloughan and promise us all he has full control but it's NEVER going to work until he finds another hobby to fail at.

19 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Uh, no its not.  From 1999-2002 we had a better stretch, and from 2005-2008 we also had a better stretch, 8 of the 14 years.  Attempting to paint the last 2-5 years in a positive light is a fruitless endeavor.

And as for Bruce and Jay, Im all for giving people second chances, and for reasonable excuses such as injury issues.  But this isnt Bruce and Jays 2nd year here.  It isnt their 3rd.  Every year theres a new excuse, and it seems semi-valid, until you look back 4-5 years later and see wait, every year was a failure.  For one reason or another other teams got it done and we failed year in and year out.  Jay Gruden has made the playoffs 1 time in 4 years.  There is no good coach in the NFL right now that has done that with their current team.  Hes not a good coach.  Jay Gruden isnt improving, his teams are getting worse.  Last years team was worse than the team from 2 years ago.  This years team was worse than last years team.  Sure, it looked better at times, but once again his team performed one of the most amazing choke jobs in NFL history, and finished a step below where they were.  Bruce Allen continues to hire/extend him, and now has only 1 season above 7-9 in his 6 seasons as defacto GM, and it was the RG3/Morris miracle season. 2017 should have been a prove it season, and yet it isnt.  So fans will make excuses for yet another terrible 2018, when Cousins leaves, and we get a new QB, and find out that despite his big failures, Cousins was the sole difference between us being 4-12 and 7-9 this year.  

They are not sem-valid, they are completely valid.  Th-is years team was worse than last years because of massive amounts of injury.  And Bruce Allen has not been defacto GM for six years.  Scot was GM for two and Shanahan ad roster control

57 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

What endless circle of mediocrity?  From 2000-2014, the SnyderSkins were in an endless circle of abject failure.  The mediocrity of these last three seasons is a big step up.

we had several groups of seasons where we were decent.  since 2000 we've had 8 seasons of .500 or better ball and two years  at 7-9

Found these quotes from George Allen. He was a bit of a loon to be sure, but in his case, the apple (Bruce) has fallen FAR from the tree. And it's rotten. 

"The man who can accept defeat and take his salary without feeling guilty is a thief. I cannot think of a thing [money] can buy that a loser can enjoy. Fancy cars and parties are all window dressing. Winning is the only true goal. Only the winner is alive. The loser is dead, whether he knows it or not." 

"Fear the Walking Bruce". 

Archived