Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

5 minutes ago, TK said:

Just remember.

In Bruce's mind, he won

The question is, in Dan’s mind after they go 6-10 next year and are stuck with a 35 year old QB, will HE think Bruce won?

To me this seems like a last ditch move.   They’ve got a QB they went out to get.  This will be Jay’s 5th year and Bruce’s 9th. There really shouldn’t be any excuses.

They’ve misses the playoffs the last 2 yeas, and both Dallas and the Eagles have rebuilt in about 2 years.

At some point, the owner is going to ask why the team can’t win more than 8 games a year.  

And there are implications to losing.  Financial implications and stadium implications.  Good teams get more favorable terms in stadium deals.  

Eventually, if this team of Bruce and Jay doesn’t win, they’re both going to be shown the door.  The question will be if Dan does the right thing and hires a football guy as his next advisor or just some random yes guy.  

I do see how a transition tag and trade is very much possible. Maybe save some face here Bruce.

You guys suck for giving up Fuller... The answer to that request should have been no and click. Stupid, stupid, stupid

Go get a first or second with Cousins on the transition tag

20 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I do see how a transition tag and trade is very much possible. Maybe save some face here Bruce.

You guys suck for giving up Fuller... The answer to that request should have been no and click. Stupid, stupid, stupid

Go get a first or second with Cousins on the transition tag

What if the tag him and all other teams don't offer anything just to mess with Bruce the almighty... 

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

it was handled with the grace of 3 toed sloth on a greasy pole - try getting that image out of your mind

Look I know the Eagles are in the Super Bowl, doesn't mean we have to talk about their fans all the time.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

there are reasons to like this trade

Here's why not to like the trade: Kendall Fuller is under contract in 2018 and 2019 for less than $1M/year.  A third round pick is worth something too; that's a pick you can use to draft a Kendall Fuller and pay him less than $1M/year for his first four years.

We gave up two nice things just for the chance to sign Alex Smith to pretty much the same deal he would get if he were a free agent tomorrow.

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

I don't think you can look it at the way, because there is no way Kirk is going to stay here. Sure if you tag him again, he will sign. Take the 34 milion. But the year after he is then gone. This deal makes me believe that Kirk and Redskins where never going to get a long term deal done. 

But that's still the full exchange in this macro transaction. In theory, you probably could have started Cousins this year for $28M. We are starting Smith for $17M. So, that plus the other comings and goings has to be factored into the larger move. 

22 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sure, a B+ if you're only goal as GM is your own survival rather than building a long term winning formula for the team that pays you.

I hate the trade, just thought it was interesting because Banner made some comments last week about this Kirk fiasco and people were using it as a talking point.

The only thing gonna salvage this trade for me is tagging Kurt and leveraging a 1st or 2nd rounder. That's the only way to replace Fuller.

Teams will trade for him almost instantly versus a bidding war. Den, Ari, Cleveland, Buf and NYJ all likely suitors.

Feb 20th a big day... https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-important-nfl-dates/

3 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

The only thing gonna salvage this trade for me is tagging Kurt and leveraging a 1st or 2nd rounder. That's the only way to replace Fuller.

Teams will trade for him almost instantly versus a bidding war. Den, Ari, Cleveland, Buf and NYJ all likely suitors.

First of all, the entire world knows Cousins is a goner.  Cousins would have to play along and throw the FO a bone, which at this point I cannot begin to imagine why he would do that.  None of those teams are going to be willing to give up a first or second round pick for a guy that if he wants to be with them, can be with them for no picks.

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

Look I know the Eagles are in the Super Bowl, doesn't mean we have to talk about their fans all the time.

Here's why not to like the trade: Kendall Fuller is under contract in 2018 and 2019 for less than $1M/year.  A third round pick is worth something too; that's a pick you can use to draft a Kendall Fuller and pay him less than $1M/year for his first four years.

We gave up two nice things just for the chance to sign Alex Smith to pretty much the same deal he would get if he were a free agent tomorrow.

I did forget to lost losing Fuller so it's been added. 

If there was a real chance to sign Kirk, then of course there is nothing to like. I thought i made that pretty clear. But if you accept the assumption that Kirk was just not signing a LTD, then they got probably what they could and actually could have done much worse. And there is also still a good chance they get some kind of draft choice back with a tag a trade of Kirk so we do not know the final compensation - including there could be a compensation pick I would guess they have something in place with someone and just waiting for them and Kirk to finalize a deal. If they don't, it still is what it is. They were going to lose him anyway. Again, if you step back and look at it from that perspective, it's not a horrible trade. I know some will never want to do that as they will just see Kirk leaving and no matter what is said afterwards it's awful. Just like losing Fuller. He got blown up in the game day threads on a regular basis. Now he is everyone's favorite player and someone even said he played better than Norman - which is total bull**** - outside the few games Norman played still very much hurting. Even then, Fuller was playing the other teams #3 or 4 WR not the #1s or even 2s. 

Also, we do not know the details of the Smith contract. The media always does this **** of just reporting the entire deal without the guaranteed money and other details. Unfortunately we will not know that until the league season ends and they can complete the deal. But as I said before, my guess is there is an off ramp after 2 or maybe 3 yrs. Need the details. 

I am not saying it's a great trade. i wanted Kirk back, period. But if we take the emotion out of it and again go with the assumption that Kirk was already gone, then this is just not horrible. Is it great? Of course not, But it's not horrible - especially if they can get something for Kirk and the Smith contract has a 2 or 3 yr off ramp. 

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

First of all, the entire world knows Cousins is a goner.  Cousins would have to play along and throw the FO a bone, which at this point I cannot begin to imagine why he would do that.  None of those teams are going to be willing to give up a first or second round pick for a guy that if he wants to be with them, can be with them for no picks.

That may not part with a 1st or 2nd rd pick. But a 3rd and maybe another pick to make sure? If a team like say Denver really wants him, would it not be worth at least a 3rd and maybe even a 2nd pick to make sure you get him and not have to get into a bidding war with teams like Clev and the Jets that have loads of CAP room, a lot more than Denver even if they restructure some contracts. 

As for Cousins, he gets to pick where he goes without going through all the drama of the bidding war. If he truly just wants to win and the money is not the bottom line as he has been saying, then going to the right team will be more important than squeezing that extra few million out of a bad team. 

Is it a guarantee? No, of course not. But I think there is a much better chance of getting something than people are giving it a chance. 

Archived