Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

So, everyone is basically unsure of the rules regarding trading a transition tagged player, advantage Washington IMO.

The Skins FO should be drilling down on this hardcore right now. Even if you tag him and he doesn't sign, simply rescind like Panthers did with Norman. I see very little they have to lose by putting the transition tag on him.

If push came to shove and all parties stalled, just rescind. It would be well into free agency and still well before the draft. KC would have lost the inside track to his team of choice and the Skins would just dump him on the side of the road like dog meat.

All year I heard about tag and trade options, why all of a sudden do people think it's against the CBA??

45 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Even if you tag him and he doesn't sign, simply rescind like Panthers did with Norman. I see very little they have to lose by putting the transition tag on him.

What if you tag him and he signs right away? Now we're on the hook for 29M.

What if you tag him and he goes out and signs a max contract offer sheet?  Are we gonna try to match that?

7 hours ago, Tsailand said:

What if you tag him and he signs right away? Now we're on the hook for 29M.

What if you tag him and he goes out and signs a max contract offer sheet?  Are we gonna try to match that?

Teams will absolutely trade for him, there's no doubt.

Teams can't match until around March 14th, He'll have trade agreement by than in place. 

2 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

Start trying to trade Smith instead.

I keep seeing this but do you think for a second that if we were to tag Cousins that Smith wouldn't then refuse to sign an extension?  Him and his agent would have a FIELD day with us, and you think we aren't already blackballed and the franchise players dont want to go to? 

19 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I keep seeing this but do you think for a second that if we were to tag Cousins that Smith wouldn't then refuse to sign an extension?  Him and his agent would have a FIELD day with us, and you think we aren't already blackballed and the franchise players dont want to go to? 

You're not wrong but perhaps the best thing that could happen to this franchise is to no longer have parties willing to trade with us.  We never win them.

26 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You're not wrong but perhaps the best thing that could happen to this franchise is to no longer have parties willing to trade with us.  We never win them.

beyond trades, it would further alienate free agents, would sour agent's further from wanting to negotiate extensions, would take what little 'loyalty' we've shown to have to some of our own and throw it out the window.  We've bungled Kirk but we've done what would appear to be a good job grooming other talent, and signing it when necessary.  Kirk is the only big time FA we've let walk away from here, and Smith CHOSE to come here because of the deal we made.  Cleveland and Denver (reportedly rejected by KC) both offered more.  

Just put it all into perspective.

Two young, home-grown talents we drafted, one on defense, one on offense. The guy on defense is only 22 and graded out as the best defensive player on our team last year. The guy on offense is just entering his prime and now owns a wide variety of franchise records. Plus, he never gets injured. 

Both were let go in favor of a 34-year-old QB free agent who very well could be starting the downside of his career.

Great job, Bruce and Dan. Great job. That's how you run a franchise (into the ground).  

3 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

Just put it all into perspective.

Both were let go in favor of a 34-year-old QB free agent who very well could be starting the downside of his career.

Or, both were let go in favor of a 34 year old, three time alternate Pro Bowler , with a similar completion percentage over the last three years and an even better TD/Int ratio, who could very well just be hitting his stride after coming off the best season of his career.

1 minute ago, Spearfeather said:

Or, both were let go in favor of a 34 year old, three time alternate Pro Bowler , with a similar completion percentage over the last three years and an even better TD/Int ratio, who could very well just be hitting his stride after coming off the best season of his career.

That's true, you can never go wrong betting that 34 year old athletes are "just hitting their stride".

2 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

No, you're right. He was the only one, and it's never happened with Quarterbacks.

Sure, anything's possible. But the odds are against Smith becoming anything more than what he's been for the last 12 years, and the odds are far better that he's much closer to decline than to improvement or even status quo. We've been preaching for the last few years now, especially when Scot came on board, that we wanted to start becoming a team that would build through the draft and take care of our own players. We're now right back to letting those types of guys walk, to showing them we don't value them, to looking to aging free agents with no history here to come in and lead us to the promised land. I've seen this movie way too often. I don't expect a different ending this time. We'll see. 

34 year old Qbs are more and more common now.. ESPECIALLY with all the rules to help keep them upright.  Smith is very in tuned with maintaining his body, and he's, by all accounts been very consistent over the last few years.  

Aaron Rodgers

Ben Roethlesburger

Phillip Rivers

Eli Manning

Drew Brees

Tom Brady

All older than Smith, and there are a few more who aren't premier guys who are still going like Josh McCown and until this year, Carson Palmer @37.  Palmer had a down season but he also lost the best RB in the league very early on. 

I don't think anyone is saying he's guaranteed to fall off a cliff next season.  It's just highly unlikely he finds another level to his game at this point in his career, starting over with a new team.  A team without a whole lot of weapons.

Plus that list of older QBs minus Eli, are all guys we'd obviously prefer to Smith.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't think anyone is saying he's guaranteed to fall off a cliff next season.  It's just highly unlikely he finds another level to his game at this point in his career, starting over with a new team.  A team without a whole lot of weapons.

Plus that list of older QBs minus Eli, are all guys we'd obviously prefer to Smith.

I'm with ya, just stating that in large part age at the QB position is not as 'do not touch' as it used to be.  I don't think he's going to find some other gear, but he may not need to.  Look what he did in KC, 1 year he didnt throw a single TD to a WR and they won 9 games.  I'm not saying he's gonna come in here be an MVP, but the guy has been able to get some good offense out of minimal talent at times.  I just think he could come in here and help this offense, being a lot more effective than Colt McCoy. 

Archived