Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

I'm just amazed that the "Tampa Connection" is still so strong that Allen found and went with a nobody QB that he drafted over a decade ago, who hasn't ever won an NFL game, and hasn't started or taken a single snap in one since before RG3 was drafted.

Good thing they drafted the guy in 2008 though. Otherwise we might now be starting Jeff Garcia or Chris Simms.

53 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I just need to give myself encouragement to watch the games. 

As a 'Skins fan you should always be encouraged to watch the games: either you're hopeful we'll win and go to the Super Bowl, or you're hopeful we'll lose to see us one step closer to a regime change. It's edge-of-your-seat excitement either way.

As the Redskins face the prospect of another playoff-less season, Rick Snider believes the fan base has finally been "broken."

"This team is hitting ground zero. The fan base is broken. It's broken," Snider told The Junkies Tuesday. "It's come through the last three years, and now you finally see — I don't know if this is Washington's team any more."

Sunday's 40-16 home defeat to the Giants — Washington's fourth loss in a row — not only was marked by poor attendance at FedEx Field (a common theme this season), but also garnered low TV ratings in the D.C. market. 

"Part of that is the young people today are going toward a (big) game and all the other options versus your local team," Snider explained. "And hey, the local team hasn't given anyone under 30 anything to remember, so they're moving on." 

Snider sees no choice for the Redskins but to make wholesale changes, starting with team president Bruce Allen, followed by Jay Gruden. 

"You have to get rid of your GM first, because you're probably gonna want to change your coach, and you're now gonna have to change your quarterback," Snider said.

"There's a chain reaction: you want the coach who's gonna pick his quarterback, and not let it be like Joe Gibbs coming the year after or so with Jason Campbell and not wanting him. You want to grow together all three pieces."

"You need all three pieces to work together and not have different agendas. And Dan Snyder's not a personnel man, his GM's gotta pick this next coach."

"The fan unrest is so bad, that Snyder can't just keep (Allen) in any role," Snider concluded. "You just can't. You just have to say: 'I'm sorry, nine years is great.'" 

"Bruce is retirement age, and there's been rumors of him wanting to retire, so maybe it could happen."

If Allen did in fact retire, the victory parade might rival the one for the Capitals' Stanley Cup. But as of now, the Redskins have not made any front office moves. 

https://thefandc.radio.com/rick-snider-redskins-fan-base-broken

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As the Redskins face the prospect of another playoff-less season, Rick Snider believes the fan base has finally been "broken."

"This team is hitting ground zero. The fan base is broken. It's broken," Snider told The Junkies Tuesday. "It's come through the last three years, and now you finally see — I don't know if this is Washington's team any more."

Sunday's 40-16 home defeat to the Giants — Washington's fourth loss in a row — not only was marked by poor attendance at FedEx Field (a common theme this season), but also garnered low TV ratings in the D.C. market. 

"Part of that is the young people today are going toward a (big) game and all the other options versus your local team," Snider explained. "And hey, the local team hasn't given anyone under 30 anything to remember, so they're moving on." 

This was the first time in my life that I switched from the Skins game at halftime to watch another game (that was big for my fantasy team). So I guess I fall into this category

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Snider said.

"There's a chain reaction: you want the coach who's gonna pick his quarterback, and not let it be like Joe Gibbs coming the year after or so with Jason Campbell and not wanting him. You want to grow together all three pieces."

https://thefandc.radio.com/rick-snider-redskins-fan-base-broken

Uhhh, wtf? Joe Gibbs hand-picked that loser Jason Campbell as his QB, and traded a first, third, and fourth to get him. He also traded a 3rd for a washed up Brunell who was about to be released. Ramsey was the guy he inherited, but he got kicked to the curb rather quickly.

20 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

In Josh's previous stops, was he used as a traditional drop back pocket passer? If that may explain his failures, and provides him a little upside here.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but which of his twelve stops are you referring to?

He's available right now and hadn't been in the NFL for five years for a reason.

7 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Uhhh, wtf? Joe Gibbs hand-picked that loser Jason Campbell as his QB, and traded a first, third, and fourth to get him. He also traded a 3rd for a washed up Brunell who was about to be released. Ramsey was the guy he inherited, but he got kicked to the curb rather quickly.

Yeah Campbell was Gibbs guy, I think he meant to say Ramsey

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Getting blown out isn't the worst thing in the world. Heck, the chargers were blown out by the 49ers in 95,but they made it to the dance. More than we could say. And aside from that, if we could make it and Johnson could look respectable then he could become a Tyrod Taylor type for us, where we suddenly aren't scraping the barrels of a weak draft for a must have qb. Instead we could go in with him and Colt competing and a young guy to groom. 

But the bigger thing in this is that if we fire Bruce and Jay, we're probably cutting half to 2/3 of the team based on age and system. And that will mean that 2 more drafts were wasted not because of talent but because, of system. 

If we get blown out in the first round, we aren't making it to the dance.

So, a guy who has been sitting on the couch for 7 years is going to turn into Tyrod Taylor in 3 weeks?

And, better to keep on our current path of ineptitude and failure rather than at least try to fix things.  I'm tired of starting to look forward to next season in late November every year.  Bruce is useless.  Jay is not a good coach.  He produces soft teams and has no ability to adjust his game.

41 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

At least someone is paying attention :)

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

I'm trying to be optimistic, but which of his twelve stops are you referring to?

He's available right now and hadn't been in the NFL for five years for a reason.

All of them.  Any of them. 

Which stops based their offense around his mobility, as Jay did last week?   I remember when we faced him in Tampa, he was a pocket passer.  We won.

Rest assured with enough practice, Jay will try to make him a pocket passer, sealing our fate.

That reason you allude to may not be concern or a reason to argue, as he looked as effective as Alex Smith in just 4 days of 2nd team reps.  OCs don't want to base an offense around a QB that runs risk of injury. That is the reason. Short term, he can compete just fine. Dare I predict he will look better next week, as long as Jay doesn't try to make him into a clone of the dude in Minny 0-7 on Mondays.

"And I'm sorry, better franchises than you have already made more drastic changes this year," Dukes said. "Cleveland probably waited too long, and that was weeks ago. Look how much better their season looks. The Raiders stink. Everybody knows that. But they're stinking for a purpose right now.

"What have they got? Five first-round picks over the next two years? They're amassing picks. They're going to reload. They got rid of their general manager. I'd like to be in a situation right now where you fire the team president, and now you're doing your research. You're bringing guys in. You're talking to guys. Or whatever you can do legally right now without tampering. You can certainly speak to guys that have already been fired!"

"You've got two coordinators on this team with head coaching experience – (Bill) Callahan, of course, (Jim) Tomsula," he continued. "You've got guys that can go in there, know the personnel, can take over for the next couple of weeks. Which, by the way, don't matter anyway. You're doomed.

..."Today, you missed an opportunity to show the fanbase that you acknowledge how bad it is, you acknowledge that you see the empty stadium. Oh, I'm sorry; the stadium filled with the blue wave. You acknowledge that you see the horrible television ratings."

"I think they needed to acknowledge the fact that they hit rock bottom, rented a jackhammer and a backhoe, and proceeded to drill as fast and as far as they possibly could," Dukes added, "through and past rock bottom."

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-tv-ratings-are-in-the-toilet

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

All of them.  Any of them. 

Which stops based their offense around his mobility, as Jay did last week?   I remember when we faced him in Tampa, he was a pocket passer.  We won.

Rest assured with enough practice, Jay will try to make him a pocket passer, sealing our fate.

That reason you allude to may not be concern or a reason to argue, as he looked as effective as Alex Smith in just 4 days of 2nd team reps.  OCs don't want to base an offense around a QB that runs risk of injury. That is the reason. Short term, he can compete just fine. Dare I predict he will look better next week, as long as Jay doesn't try to make him into a clone of the dude in Minny 0-7 on Mondays.

I get ya, I do, and I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything like that.  I would love for Johnson and everyone else who ever wears our colors (while they're wearing them) to have this be the spot where they click.

I don't know why you think he'll be better next week.  This is an extremely small sample size and was in a non-competitive part of the game.  I mean what I saw still was impressive, but I would be shocked and almost disappointed if he's viewed as the answer, even if just because of his age.  And, as you said, Jay has his offense and doesn't really tailor it to others.

6 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I get ya, I do, and I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything like that.  I would love for Johnson and everyone else who ever wears our colors (while they're wearing them) to have this be the spot where they click.

I don't know why you think he'll be better next week.  This is an extremely small sample size and was in a non-competitive part of the game.  I mean what I saw still was impressive, but I would be shocked and almost disappointed if he's viewed as the answer, even if just because of his age.  And, as you said, Jay has his offense and doesn't really tailor it to others.

He's a couple years younger than Smith. And yet......................................

But to be blunt, he was out of the league for a reason. He's not good. What happened last week was he got lucky, and he can (at least at one point) really run. Ran a 4.44 at the combine. He's really athletic.

Probably what held him back was the ability to go through reads quickly and be a accurate passer. Those are the 2 things that matter the most in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

He's a couple years younger than Smith. And yet......................................

But to be blunt, he was out of the league for a reason. He's not good. What happened last week was he got lucky, and he can (at least at one point) really run. Ran a 4.44 at the combine. He's really athletic.

Probably what held him back was the ability to go through reads quickly and be a accurate passer. Those are the 2 things that matter the most in the NFL.

And bringing it back to the actual thread (my bad on the derailing), I have zero faith in this front office to find someone.  That's only compounded if there's a modicum of "success" with this guy.  We've been THIS close for so long with this regime, we need to stop being THIS close and start being champions.  It won't happen with Allen, and the cluelessness on Snyder's part is just baffling.

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

All we need is a solution for 1 month. 

Josh kind of missed the boat on OCs stuffing pages into the playbook from the college ranks. I bet he is kind of pissed about that. Pre-dated Wilson, Kap, RG3.... I think its clear what Jay needs to do to have any chance at eeking into the playoffs, and it involves largely burning his playbook. 

Make no mistake, I am not selling Josh as a long term solution. But I will stick to my guns and predict he can win a game if Jay lets him run early and often, and use that threat to open up our feeble pass "attack". If Jay makes him a pocket passer like Sanchez, we won't win a game with him.  In fact, it will look like Sanchez never left.

Josh offers a skill set built for short term winning. And he has experience and knowledge of Jays terminology, which may help.

And to think that the Redskins had Sean McVay...who could have brought his pal Wade Philips... and Kirk Cousins in house and could have kept them both if it weren’t for the 2 Stooges.

I got broken 2 years ago and have gone from a diehard fan from the George Allen years who got antsy every August just waiting for the season to start to someone who now ROOTS for the Redskins to LOSE.   

The only way I can see me coming back is if they get rid of these stuffed suits like Allen and bring in some older, seasoned football guys to run the team.  Schaffer can stay over on the business side but hiring him to run the team will be another disasterous move.  Let Doug Williams just be some glad hander in charge of alumni pr stuff but do not give him the GM job.  

Redskins need football people and reason why I advocated going after Bruce Arians as team President in charge of all football relate  things and letting him hire a GM and HC of which both answer to him.  Similar to Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville.  Arians is highly knowledgeable...knows quarterbacks.....respected among players and coaches and would give the redskins a shot of respectability in the league.  

No more executive types like Allen, Schaffer, LaFemina etc...running the football side.  They need men who played and coached and were successful at this level.

It’s a long shot but worth pursuing IMO

It's probably been mentioned at some point [ I've just never seen it ] but someone who popped in my head was Tony Dungy.

He is smart, god fearing, players respect and listen to him, he has a good eye for talent,  but he's on the Sunday Night Highlights Show.

Of course, this being AFTER Bruce Allen and Gruden are let go.  gotta crawl before you walk, right?

Archived