Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To me the peak of Bruce's tone deafness had to be the press release in the summer of 2017 because regardless of how people feel about said player -- to me the level of arrogance and the lack of respect for fan's intelligence was on display IMO.  For starters, the act in itself implied fans couldn't in an apples to apples way compare that contract with other contracts and we'd instead just accept Bruce's numbers where we'd have no context to judge.  And also the idea of pick the FO over the QB sentiment -- I think gave a window into his mindset because that wasn't the only rodeo of that tactic.

Here we agree. The moment I saw that CYA letter I thought, That bridge is blown. How in the world can that relationship ever be repaired. And clearly, it never was.

It's just a stupid move. The NFL is a small world. Reputations and relationships matter. Bruce Allen tried to win a skirmish and not only wound up losing the battle, but in all liklihood the war. You, or someone else, mentioned how disliked Bruce Allen is around the league: Agents, other GMs, etc. Well, acts like that either cause that hate or go along way towards reinforcing it.

You can occassionally go to the Woe is me! I've been wronged! well, but it's really best if people come to that conclusion. After all, no one likes whiners. More, no one likes people who complain that the world is out to get them when clearly everything happening to them is 75% their own fault.

But aside from all the bad moves, this reputation thing (if true) really does matter because it means that unless Bruce is willing to overpay no one wants to deal with him or work with him. I suspect that the bad rep thing is somewhat exaggerated, but I also think there is way more than an ounce of truth to it. And if it's at all true, it's a very strong reason to excise him from the organization.

Edit: The irony of this chain of thinking is one of the big pluses of Allen was that he was supposed to have mended fences between our vets and players of the past. He was bringing the alienated Gibbs and Allen players back into the fold after years of alienation. His strength was supposed to be his PR skills and his diplomatic prowess.

2 hours ago, Tsailand said:

We were a mediocre team who lucked into 6-3.

It's OK to complain about losing your QB when you have a great QB.  Not when you start the season with a backup quality QB.

I still think we were a Marty Schottenheimer team. If everything went perfectly and we made no mistakes, we had a shot to win at the end of the game. If we made any mistakes at all, we were ****ed.

Problem was, we started not only making mistakes on the offensive end, but then the wheels fell off the defense. For a team built to win razor tight games and out tough the opponent, we didn't have a chance once the discipline fell apart and the mistakes started getting made (and not fixed or even addressed)

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Its not a crushing blow because we were a bad team to start the year. 

Its only a crushing blow if you got duped by the 6-2 start into thinking this team was any good at all. It wasn’t. It never was. This season was going to be a failure whether smith stayed at QB or not. 

Teams dont fall apart like this just because they lose their QB. Bad teams fall apart like this. This was a bad team with a good record. Now it’s just a bad team

Dude, they should fire Bruce yesterday but yes every team would fall apart on their 3rd string QB playing behind two 3rd string guards...lets be a little realistic!

14 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

As long as it's not your own poop, Dan Snyder would get every one of those sampled through a DNA test and sue every fan who sent one. I wouldnt put it past him lol

it wouldn't matter though. Poop does not contain DNA.

So, poop away!!!!!!!!!

I am not one to boo the Redskins.. yesterday I watched the whole game and not one single boo you stink.. nothing..im not one to hope the Redskins lose for better draft picks .I'm not happy when they lose...

But I absolutely support that tweet about being able to send actual poop to the front doors of the team I have proudly supported and rooted for 41 years now...if finances weren't tight right now I would most certainly do this..no questions asked.

10 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I am not one to boo the Redskins.. yesterday I watched the whole game and not one single boo you stink.. nothing..im not one to hope the Redskins lose for better draft picks .I'm not happy when they lose...

But I absolutely support that tweet about being able to send actual poop to the front doors of the team I have proudly supported and rooted for 41 years now...if finances weren't tight right now I would most certainly do this..no questions asked.

looks like different prices for gorilla, cow and elephant poop.  I guess the combo pack seems intriguing -- combination of them all.  Judging by twitter though I think others have a handle on this and its taking off without any involvement from us.   Pretty funny, surprised people are that bold.  

57 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Well, in my day, you pooped into a brown paper bag, lit it on fire, rang the doorbell while leaving it on the front porch, and you run behind the bushes. 

You might be on to something here.

Get a big bag, put it at Snyder's door, then scatter a few Coors Light beer cans along the yard; or just steal Bruce's car from the pkg lot and drive it through Snyder's lawn into his pool.

NFL Network reporter, Tom Pelissero, who said of the Allen-to-Oakland rumors, “It does not sound as if that is something that would be on the front burner for the Raiders or for Jon Gruden at this point.” And he was hardly the only media member to throw some cold water, if not an entire Gatorade bucket, on that talk.

A pair of hosts for 106.7 The Fan, Grant Paulsen and Chris Russell, also expressed doubt that the scenario would come to pass. “I’ve been told by league people they don’t think that would happen,” Paulsen said on Twitter. “The name I heard that would be a more likely fit if he wanted to go elsewhere is Kevin Demoff and the LA Rams.”

Russell cited “multiple sources” who have told him recently that Gruden “has ZERO interest” in bringing Allen aboard and, in fact, “does not hold him in high regard at all.”

...Going back to Nov. 28, just after Allen gained notice (and not generally of the most positive variety) for his role in the Redskins' acquisition of troubled linebacker Reuben Foster, The Athletic’s Tim Kawakamisaid, “I’ll note that I’ve been told to delete assumptions that Allen will inevitably join old pal Jon Gruden with the Raiders.

Apparently, the two aren’t nearly as close these days.”

So that’s a fair amount of informed voices all but quashing disaffected Redskins fans' hopes of seeing Gruden take Allen, who also worked with him in Tampa Bay, off their hands. However, it’s worth noting that the speculation about Allen heading to Oakland began much earlier this year, not long after the Raiders backed up the proverbial Brinks truck to lure Gruden out of the “Monday Night Football” booth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/11/bruce-allen-raiders-dont-get-your-hopes-up-redskins-fans/?utm_term=.ef9127c23708

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NFL Network reporter, Tom Pelissero, who said of the Allen-to-Oakland rumors, “It does not sound as if that is something that would be on the front burner for the Raiders or for Jon Gruden at this point.” And he was hardly the only media member to throw some cold water, if not an entire Gatorade bucket, on that talk.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

looks like different prices for gorilla, cow and elephant poop.  I guess the combo pack seems intriguing -- combination of them all.  Judging by twitter though I think others have a handle on this and its taking off without any involvement from us.   Pretty funny, surprised people are that bold.  

Oh yeah I went through and read some of the stories... pretty excellent pictures of what certain animals feces look like lol....

Piecing together different narratives from yesterday from Brewer, Finlay, Keim, Russell

A. Dan hates the reputation of him being trigger happy about firing people so doubtful he fires anyone during the season

B. Dan wasn't leaning towards firing Bruce or the coaching staff this off season

C. The last game changed that mindset -- now the last three games multiple people are coaching for their job

D. If John Johnson-team finish the season strong, lets say 2-1, it likely saves those peoples their job

There is a narrative but couldn't tell if it was speculation (this is mostly Russell's narrative with a little Finlay mixed in) versus source driven that Bruce-Dan are aware of Bruce's reputation and they both feel its undeserved and to save the Allen name -- there is the notion that if the team finished strong this year and then in the off season secured the stadium -- Bruce could ride off in the sunset with sort of a I told you so narrative and save face.  Finlay seemed to imply not sure what happens now considering the season is unlikely to end strong so Bruce is unlikely to have that ride off in the sunset narrative -- he seemed to be suggesting it might dig his heels stronger if they finish poorly.

Russell (again not sure speculation our source driven in this) suggested Dan is sensitive about Bruce leaving in infamy because that would besmirch the Allen name.  My thought is if that's really so as for Dan's thoughts than that ship has already sailed -- nothing he can do to save that now.  The Allen reputation has been a slow burn building over years that has just built into a crescendo -- I doubt they have any shot to reverse it.    I notice even some of Allen's more vocal defenders on twitter have bailed on him.

Archived