Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

How wonderfully terrible would it be if Josh Johnson single-handed eeks us into the playoffs, and saves everyones jobs.

To get blown out in the first round of the playoffs?  No thanks.

Honestly, I prefer we lose out, get the best pick possible, and end the Jay & Bruce Show forever.

13 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

How wonderfully terrible would it be if Josh Johnson single-handed eeks us into the playoffs, and saves everyones jobs.

Yeah Sheehan and Finlay were joking about it on his podcast yesterday, that indeed Johnson could save some jobs.

If guys like Keim and Finlay are correct, the next three games are key on that front.  A week before both guys didn't think Dan was going to make a move.  They think the Giants game has changed Dans thinking some but not to the degree where a late season rally can't still save jobs. 

Keim on the radio just doubled down that the FO (presume he means Dan) is confused by the fans distaste for Bruce.  Keim said on another broadcast a week before is that they are confused by the fans dislike for Bruce where they don't get the rationale. 

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

there is the notion that if the team finished strong this year and then in the off season secured the stadium -- Bruce could ride off in the sunset with sort of a I told you so narrative and save face. 

Does the Amazon HQ2 deal for Crystal City in any way affect a stadium proposal for Virginia, considering the 570m in subsidies Virginians will be on the hook for and the additional 270m in transportation/infrastructure investment?

3 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Does the Amazon HQ2 deal for Crystal City in any way affect a stadium proposal for Virginia, considering the 570m in subsidies Virginians will be on the hook for and the additional 270m in transportation/infrastructure investment?

Don't know but the speculation is it makes Virginia less likely and I'd include the Governor is apparently not that into making it happen.  From what beat guys are thinking seems to be now between the National Harbor area in MD versus the RFK site in the district. 

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim on the radio just doubled down that the FO (presume he means Dan) is confused by the fans distaste for Bruce.  Keim said on another broadcast a week before is that they are confused by the fans dislike for Bruce where they don't get the rationale. 

Every time I read stuff like this, it makes it easier for me to envision a time where I literally stop caring about this franchise.

I cannot even grasp how Dan could be so oblivious as to not understand the disdain for Bruce Allen.  

If this is true, we literally have not a shred of hope.

56 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Every time I read stuff like this, it makes it easier for me to envision a time where I literally stop caring about this franchise.

I cannot even grasp how Dan could be so oblivious as to not understand the disdain for Bruce Allen.  

If this is true, we literally have not a shred of hope.

I only met Bruce for a few minutes.  My impression is he's charming if you are into the corporate-political type who knows how to glad hand.   He didn't move me at all but I can see Dan being charmed by the dude.  And I've heard enough reports of late to be convinced Bruce and Dan aren't just co-workers but also buddies.  So I think its very apples to apples to the Vinny situation.

I think Dan is obsessed with the nostalgia of the team.  Hey fans look this dude is George Allen's son -- can't you dig that?  And I do think Dan was stunned that Doug's promotion when Scot was let go was mostly greeted by a yawn from the fan base - I recall Bruce's smug look on his face where it was the look of top this one during the Doug announcement conference.  

The thing is we are so far removed from the glory years that to some fans (me included) its actually depressing to keep flaunting nostalgia because it reinforces that its all we got.  

But yeah I just listened to another segment from Keim. Piecing his thoughts with Russell -- the best shot we have here is for the other minority owners getting to Dan as opposed to Dan himself seeing the light.  And that's doable.  And the picture is painted pretty strongly by multiple guys that if they win 2 out of the next 3, the gang is back.  Personally, I just care about the Bruce component of that but I get plenty here want to see coaches to go, too. But if Bruce and Jay are a package deal then I am more than cool with both going.

As for Dan, I am absolutely convinced the dude is incompetent and wouldn't know how to build a winning culture if it smacked him in the face.  But the one thing that I've held out hope for is that he'd luck into hiring a competent GM and then the rest would take care of itself.    Instead of his next GM who becomes his BFF being incompetent and brings out his worst instincts -- he hires someone who actually knows what he's doing and knows how to present the organization with class -- Schaffer and Kyle Smith's profile seem to fit that bill. 

@Skinsinparadise I think it was you who made the connection to high school and every time I see photo/video of Dan I can’t help but see it the same way.  Like the RG3 bowling video, Tom Cruise in the box, or even when he’s talking to Jerry before a game, he just has that look of a guy who desperately wants to be “cool”.  Like the team is a vehicle to establish social relevance.  

As much as I want him to “luck out” I can’t see how that happens until someone both smart and willing to be his buddy walks through the door, and I don’t think those two things go together.

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Skinsinparadise I think it was you who made the connection to high school and every time I see photo/video of Dan I can’t help but see it the same way.  Like the RG3 bowling video, Tom Cruise in the box, or even when he’s talking to Jerry before a game, he just has that look of a guy who desperately wants to be “cool”.  Like the team is a vehicle to establish social relevance.  

Yeah to me he comes off like a nerd who loves to use the team to fulfill his childhood fantasies of hanging out with star players, coaches, personnel guys, etc.  The Redskins are like the key extension of his social life and that colors his decisions among other things.  Comes off that way strongly to me.  How could he not side with RG3 over Shanny when hes going bowling with RG3, dancing at his wedding, going to movie premiers, etc.    Or not side with Portis over Zorn when you are going to Vegas with Portis and constantly pal around with him. 

I think it was Russell who said that Bruce is Dan's social crutch in owners meetings -- and Bruce can glad hand the rich corporate types for him.  Reading a book called Big Game which talks about NFL  owners, the part about Dan describes him as socially awkward and not liked by most of his fellow owners with the big exception being Jerry Jones. 

I think what we likely got cooking is firing Bruce and crew is akin to trying to talk your kid into moving schools and convincing them that they'd enjoy making new friends and its a good thing.  That's not easy to do.  I assume its not as dramatic as that but I think the analogy might be on point. 

Brewer just went on the radio that Bruce "has a weird spell" over Dan.  And when Dan can find someone he can vibe with personally he just can't let them go.  Bruce being the great politician is, can keep planting new ideas in his head and Dan doesn't know better that the ideas aren't good until they play out.  Brewer said at this given time if he were a betting man, based on what he hears Bruce returns.  Jay he said is safe as long as Bruce is safe.

He suggested the pressure from fans might change Dan's thoughts.

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As much as I want him to “luck out” I can’t see how that happens until someone both smart and willing to be his buddy walks through the door, and I don’t think those two things go together.

Right after he was approved as owner of the Redskins a fan posted a video of him being interviewed, he was literally jumping on the pavement like a child who finally got his hands on the most coveted toy. From this moment I knew we were screwed.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Piecing together different narratives from yesterday from Brewer, Finlay, Keim, Russell

A. Dan hates the reputation of him being trigger happy about firing people so doubtful he fires anyone during the season

B. Dan wasn't leaning towards firing Bruce or the coaching staff this off season

C. The last game changed that mindset -- now the last three games multiple people are coaching for their job

D. If John Johnson-team finish the season strong, lets say 2-1, it likely saves those peoples their job

There is a narrative but couldn't tell if it was speculation (this is mostly Russell's narrative with a little Finlay mixed in) versus source driven that Bruce-Dan are aware of Bruce's reputation and they both feel its undeserved and to save the Allen name -- there is the notion that if the team finished strong this year and then in the off season secured the stadium -- Bruce could ride off in the sunset with sort of a I told you so narrative and save face.  Finlay seemed to imply not sure what happens now considering the season is unlikely to end strong so Bruce is unlikely to have that ride off in the sunset narrative -- he seemed to be suggesting it might dig his heels stronger if they finish poorly.

Russell (again not sure speculation our source driven in this) suggested Dan is sensitive about Bruce leaving in infamy because that would besmirch the Allen name.  My thought is if that's really so as for Dan's thoughts than that ship has already sailed -- nothing he can do to save that now.  The Allen reputation has been a slow burn building over years that has just built into a crescendo -- I doubt they have any shot to reverse it.    I notice even some of Allen's more vocal defenders on twitter have bailed on him.

If Snyder was truly concerned with the Allen name being held in high regard, he never should have brought him into the organization at all.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I mean, if the thing missing is leadership and Johnson can provide that. Even if he can help with the running game by being a running threat himself, i know I'm talking myself into a lot of things but i don't see this being so bad. 

We have a talented team, and that's been my point of view all along. I think the Atlanta and Tampa games changed us as a defense because instead of trying to get 3 and outs, we started playing off non physical and trying to get lucky. Like ZBrown said though, if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

But we're still in a sea of contending teams who all are losing or had their own losing streaks. To me it's not about Johnson saving jobs but more verifying that we're building something. 

Like, imagine if RG3's head hadn't gotten so big. Or if the last QB and front office didn't have a falling out. We'd be feeling a lot different about this team because we'd be seeing things differently. 

If Johnson can just look respectable (and i think that's a possibility) it could help inspire confidence in this team again. 

2 hours ago, sempre_victrix said:

To get blown out in the first round of the playoffs?  No thanks.

Honestly, I prefer we lose out, get the best pick possible, and end the Jay & Bruce Show forever.

Now we're back on this. 

Getting blown out isn't the worst thing in the world. Heck, the chargers were blown out by the 49ers in 95,but they made it to the dance. More than we could say. And aside from that, if we could make it and Johnson could look respectable then he could become a Tyrod Taylor type for us, where we suddenly aren't scraping the barrels of a weak draft for a must have qb. Instead we could go in with him and Colt competing and a young guy to groom. 

But the bigger thing in this is that if we fire Bruce and Jay, we're probably cutting half to 2/3 of the team based on age and system. And that will mean that 2 more drafts were wasted not because of talent but because, of system. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

If Johnson can just look respectable (and i think that's a possibility) it could help inspire confidence in this team again. 

I don’t see how that’s possible at all with the Oline where it is.  I don’t see how we can properly evaluate very much offensively because of it.

I guess it would be nice to see the D get off the snide, and they should, considering their next two opponents in particular.  

But I just don’t see how these last 3 games give anyone much insight to what the team really is.

39 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

And aside from that, if we could make it and Johnson could look respectable then he could become a Tyrod Taylor type for us, where we suddenly aren't scraping the barrels of a weak draft for a must have qb. Instead we could go in with him and Colt competing and a young guy to groom. 

But the bigger thing in this is that if we fire Bruce and Jay, we're probably cutting half to 2/3 of the team based on age and system. And that will mean that 2 more drafts were wasted not because of talent but because, of system. 

Wow. Johnson is what, 33 years old? He's played for 12 teams. It would take an absolute miracle for him to suddenly become something resembling a consistent NFL caliber QB. What makes anyone think THIS franchise is fertile ground for ANYTHING miraculous, lol.!? Just about any schlub can come off the bench in a 40-0 game and look "decent" against second and third-stringers in a game that they've already checked out of.  

There's nothing longterm wasted in ANY scenario where Bruce is fired. The only waste comes with future years of that utter buffoon in charge of any aspect of this team. 

4 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Wow. Johnson is what, 33 years old? He's played for 12 teams. It would take an absolute miracle for him to suddenly become something resembling a consistent NFL caliber QB. What makes anyone think THIS franchise is fertile ground for ANYTHING miraculous, lol.!? Just about any schlub can come off the bench in a 40-0 game and look "decent" against second and third-stringers in a game that they've already checked out of.  

Tens of fans are clinging to that last filament of hope.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

You may be onto something here.   Winner winner chicken dinner to whoever predicted our playoff fates would lay in the hands of one Josh Johnson.

It has to be him, everyone else is demoralized and checked out. Bruce Doug Jay, AP our vaunted DL... they have shown us what they have. We are leaderless and listing badly. 

It's up to Josh. I do think he can get a win, and if so, the rest will follows.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t see how that’s possible at all with the Oline where it is.  I don’t see how we can properly evaluate very much offensively because of it.

I guess it would be nice to see the D get off the snide, and they should, considering their next two opponents in particular.  

But I just don’t see how these last 3 games give anyone much insight to what the team really is.

Possible is another question. I don't think its possible. But I'm just going by the fact that Sanchez looked like he didn't belong in the NFL on Sunday. Johnson didn't. Maybe it was because NY was playing prevent (which I think), but maybe its because of Johnson's scrabling ability - which I hope. But regardless of what I think, the hope is that he can inspire players on the field to play with confidence Sunday. I mean how many drops did Sanchez have? How many did Johnson have? I'm not saying Johnson's an all pro, but I enjoyed those last few minutes of teh 4th quarter because thats the best our offense has looked since Colt played against the Texans. 

And to think we were an (admitted) missed call from being 7-3 in that game. 

47 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

There's nothing longterm wasted in ANY scenario where Bruce is fired. The only waste comes with future years of that utter buffoon in charge of any aspect of this team. 

What I'm riding on is the fact that Sanchez looked like poo poo. All game. And I have no doubts that if we didn't put in Johnson, Sanchez would have continued to look like poo poo, even against 3rd and 4th stringers. Johsnon didn't. 

But as far as teh franchse being fertile ground. Thats another story where I disagree. But I don't feel like writing it out here. Plus if guys get fired its a moot point. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it was Russell who said that Bruce is Dan's social crutch in owners meetings -- and Bruce can glad hand the rich corporate types for him.  Reading a book called Big Game which talks about NFL  owners, the part about Dan describes him as socially awkward and not liked by most of his fellow owners with the big exception being Jerry Jones. 

That book is great. So much hilarious inside info about the owners and their views of each other. 

Kill me, but it kinda made me like Jerry Jones. If nothing else, he is a character. One who can put down that Johnny Walker blue!

11 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

You may be onto something here.   Winner winner chicken dinner to whoever predicted our playoff fates would lay in the hands of one Josh Johnson.

It has to be him, everyone else is demoralized and checked out. Bruce Doug Jay, AP our vaunted DL... they have shown us what they have. We are leaderless and listing badly. 

It's up to Josh. I do think he can get a win, and if so, the rest will follows.

I mean I think A LOT has to go right for us to win out and make the playoffs so this is really not even a pipe dream, and more of thought exercise of weighing all options. But what I'm considering with Johnson is what the iead of a running QB does to defenses. Thats why I called him Tyrod Taylor. The thing is he doesn't have things that most coaches covet in a QB like arms strength and accuracy, but his ability to run can simply make some plays and when our OL fails (when, not if) he will be able to scramble so he's not a sitting duck like Sanchez was. If Mahusky can just get the defense to play physical again and we can keep scores close, its a possibility to win again. The thing about Johnson is that when he was a backup in Tampa their golden child was Freeman, who was decent until the stuff about him being on meds to help with anxiety or something came out and suddenly he was blackballed. 

- Jax is not a world beater

- Tenn is looking good so I'm not too confident there, but they're only a game ahead of us and their QB is hurting. 

- Philly is a good team and I expect to lose that game, but still same record as us. 

But I really think back to Marty's first year when all it took for a turnaround was stability at teh QB spot. I mean our defense started off good Sunday then after taht first pic-6, it seemed like tehy exhaled and said "here we go again". Think of what Tony Banks did for us that year. I mean we lost 45-13 to KC that year. 350 yards passing and 200 yards rushing. Banks wasn't a worldbeater but we went from -4 (14 turnovers) in the first 5 games to +10 in the last 11. This season we went from I think +4 to -14. Keim quotes something like that. I'm just wondering if Johnson can become a Tyrod Taylor or a Tony Banks. Thats all I ask for. 

And ignoring the Giants, when was the last time Doctson had 80+ yards? two 30+ yard catches? A should ahve been PI call? This guy isn't RG3 of 2012 but if we can just get stability again, we can go on another run. 

11 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Lol at you guys thinking that Josh Johnson is going to win a football game, or 3, and save the season. :headbang:

Its not me thinking that. I honestly think we will lose out. But the fan in me needs to explore the possibility. And I will say that Josh made me able to watch the 4th quarter Sunday. Sanchez seemed like the same play over and over again. He'd see somebody open, he'd pump fake, then he'd run into a sack. That Johsnon throw and run to Crowder was so pretty. Maybe my 2nd favorite play of the year, after the AP play last week.

I just need to give myself encouragement to watch the games. 

Archived