Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Tomlin is a guy I think of as an example to enter into a debate about whether or not a head coach is really as important as some make them out to be.  Like someone else said, I don't hate him, don't love him either.  I think he, like a lot of other coaches, gets pooped on by their fan base when things don't go as well as they believe they should.  A lot of the stuff guys here complained about regarding Jay are similar beefs that Steeler fans have with Tomlin.

Based on a post I just wrote in the FA thread, I realized that Snyder has a golden opportunity here regarding finding a new GM.  Top draft pick, decent cap space that could be much larger with a few key cuts, some solid pieces (including a fair number of youngsters), a qb on a rookie contract, and the potential to bring in a new coaching staff immediately.  Things are close enough to rock bottom here (both in terms of record and fan base) that there’s almost nowhere to go but up.  Lastly, Snyder has been relatively stubborn about moving on from his GMs, so job security is a plus.  

Don’t get me wrong, I have no faith that Snyder moves on from Allen, that he doesn’t keep Allen as Team President (opening up a GM to getting undermined/backstabbed) or that he could choose a capable GM... but I do think it’s at least an attractive job opening if it comes to it.  

Edit:  forgot to mention trading Trent as another bonus

This is a low point for me. I can not stand Allen not only as a football executive but as a person. He comes off as I'm smarter than you, a smug d-bag who took no personal accountability for the teams failures. He got up there the other day and just nothing. He has no balls. A real person would have got up there and said this is on me, I need to do better, I personally haven't done a good enough job. I just can not take him anymore. It's getting harder to root for this team when such a-holes at the top are in  charge. 

After the draft when the media was really giving the Redskins a lot of praise, out comes Allen from underneath the hole that he hides in. He's got his chest out like he's done something special and he's gloating. What a jack ass. 

Think about the opportunity right here in front of us.  You can chose a top coach, you get to chose at the top of the draft.  You can free up a lot of cap room.  You get a couple of more comp picks.  Imagine ruining our best opportunity to rebuild in a long time by still having Bruce Allen to make all the decisions.  Then, when Allen eventually gets fired in 2 years hes already ruined the future.

23 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Imagine ruining our best opportunity to rebuild in a long time by still having Bruce Allen to make all the decisions. 

Not only do we get to imagine it, we get to live it out knowing ahead of time that it's going to be a complete cluster ****.

Just like most of the last 10 years. Totally predictable buffoonery. Doofus Dan will get it right one of these decades, right? :rofl89:

29 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Think about the opportunity right here in front of us.  You can chose a top coach, you get to chose at the top of the draft.  You can free up a lot of cap room.  You get a couple of more comp picks.  Imagine ruining our best opportunity to rebuild in a long time by still having Bruce Allen to make all the decisions.  Then, when Allen eventually gets fired in 2 years hes already ruined the future.

We don't always agree, but I am 100% here with you.  Bruce has done enough damage over the past few years with his 'we're close' schtick.  We finally have an opportunity to right those wrongs in a big way.  I can say with 100% certainty that if Bruce Allen remains, it won't matter to me what coach they hire, what players they pick up, etc. that I'll still pay attention for the soap opera factor but in no way whatsoever will I be able to get behind the team.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing is what happens then to O'Connell and Kyle Smith?  good article here about how Dan lets his young coaching talent leave and reach greater heights elsewhere and that's part of the soup among his many failures. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-sean-mc-vay-vacuum-haunts-the-washington-redskins-now-more-than-ever-044419676.html

As usual, Seinfeld has the answer. Re: Why young coaches succeed when they leave the Redskins:

A16A17B5-3367-40CA-9536-F9C275012871.gif

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

i liked Seinfeld but it was far from my favorite show but I've said before that -- Seinfeld has all the perfect descriptors of this organization. 😀

How could it be anyone’s favorite show when Saved By The Bell is also a show.

@volsmet  you are the one guy here with NFL connections.  Tell me the below isn't so. :(  Well, heck at least Rex Ryan covets it.

https://www.nflhuddle.com/2019/10/09/report-redskins-head-coaching-job-considered-worst-job-in-football-yardbarker/

Report: Redskins head coaching job considered 'worst job in football' – Yardbarker

one AFC assistant coach told Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman that their head coaching vacancy is “the worst job in football.” “They will get interest because it’s an NFL job, but it’s a s— job,” the coach said. Freeman added that the Redskins have such a reputation for dysfunction that the odds of them landing a coach who can make a difference are “slim.” Redskins president Bruce Allen, who has also become a big part of the problem in Washington, recently made the NFL world erupt with laughter when he said the team has a “damn goo

My only, slim hope is that all of this finally embarrasses Snyder enough that he makes the right changes. How can a person hear how much the fans hate this, see how fans just arent coming anymore because of this, and hear about how he and Allen are viewed around the league and keep doing the same thing?

Is there even a slight chance that Bruce/Dan pay no attention what so ever to this forum?  If you own a billion dollar business, how can you not be aware?  There is a direct link on their very own website. They have to look at this on occasion. This board represents all the people who IMO care more about this team than anyone.  For better or worse, it is a Microcosm of how they are perceived. I can’t imagine having this much of an accurate reflection of how I am thought of, and not having the self awareness to “fix it”!!

Some of the comments that really stood out to me from the Bruce presser: 

we’re analyzing why we took ‘X’ player versus ‘Y’ player, and we’re looking at it. The attitude and the core of the people is good and it’s healthy. We understand [the record] is not acceptable to our great fans and it’s not acceptable to anyone in this building. I feel awfully responsible for it. We’re going to make sure we hold everyone accountable for everything that happened.”

As I said earlier, holding those people accountable – and that includes myself, and making sure if there’s a way we can do things to help this organization to win, to get back to the basics of this great franchise – that’s what we’re going to do. That’s my job to help figure out that puzzle.”

We are going to analyze everything from the top down and it’s just not on the football side of the building, it’s not just on the personnel side of the building, it’s everything we do. We understand [the record] is unacceptable. We absolutely do, and if there’s anything we can do to get this team back to where it belongs, we will do it. We’ll do it.”

“The blame part, you can blame me. I’m responsible for what happens with this organization. It’s my job, no matter who you are with the Washington Redskins to make sure we have the right people in their roles.

But we’re going to make sure everyone understands that [the record is] not acceptable and that everybody is working together in order to get success on the football field and off the football field.

We’re going to make whatever changes are necessary to do what can help this franchise win. That is our job. That is our only job is to help this franchise win and we will do what is necessary to do that.”

“We hear them. We hear them. And I get to talk to them about their disappointment. Over the next month or so, we’ll have this going in the right direction.”

Some interesting comments from the presser ... back in 2014. Five years ago. And here we are, in absolutely worse shape than we were then. Far worse. 

Great job, Bruce. Great job. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@volsmet  you are the one guy here with NFL connections.  Tell me the below isn't so. :(  Well, heck at least Rex Ryan covets it.

https://www.nflhuddle.com/2019/10/09/report-redskins-head-coaching-job-considered-worst-job-in-football-yardbarker/

Report: Redskins head coaching job considered 'worst job in football' – Yardbarker

one AFC assistant coach told Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman that their head coaching vacancy is “the worst job in football.” “They will get interest because it’s an NFL job, but it’s a s— job,” the coach said. Freeman added that the Redskins have such a reputation for dysfunction that the odds of them landing a coach who can make a difference are “slim.” Redskins president Bruce Allen, who has also become a big part of the problem in Washington, recently made the NFL world erupt with laughter when he said the team has a “damn goo

Some day soon my cousin will be interviewing for GM jobs, he’s DMV born & raised...  the question I need ask, would you take an interview with Snyder.

521FFFD7-F148-4913-94EF-038B81C00224.gif

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

My only, slim hope is that all of this finally embarrasses Snyder enough that he makes the right changes. How can a person hear how much the fans hate this, see how fans just arent coming anymore because of this, and hear about how he and Allen are viewed around the league and keep doing the same thing?

if you’ve seen him dance, you know he’s immune to humiliation.

21 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Matthew Barry's Love and Hate article on the Skins this week is excellent. 

BCCFBA76-D52F-4A3D-9B72-6E6E5E9D2650.gif

18 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Some of the comments that really stood out to me from the Bruce presser: 

Some interesting comments from the presser ... back in 2014. Five years ago. And here we are, in absolutely worse shape than we were then. Far worse. 

Great job, Bruce. Great job. 

Can he analyze why X player was garbage here but X player is ballin out in Green Bay?

2 hours ago, eorndorff said:

Is there even a slight chance that Bruce/Dan pay no attention what so ever to this forum?  If you own a billion dollar business, how can you not be aware?  There is a direct link on their very own website. They have to look at this on occasion. This board represents all the people who IMO care more about this team than anyone.  For better or worse, it is a Microcosm of how they are perceived. I can’t imagine having this much of an accurate reflection of how I am thought of, and not having the self awareness to “fix it”!!

Its not just this website, though.  It's all over the air waves... At this point snyder is the most negligent owner in the history of football.  He took a nice thing and turned it into hot garbage.  If he did this with one of his other companies the board would ouster him.

@Dissident2

I honestly thought those quotes were something you made up, as an example, of what Bruce should have  been saying the other day.

Goes to show you just how much of a politician the guy is to a T.  Say all the right things, a number of years later, things are actually worse.  Unfortunately, team presidents can’t be voted out of office.

5 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

You don't know Dan do you? 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Dissident2

I honestly thought those quotes were something you made up, as an example, of what Bruce should have  been saying the other day.

Goes to show you just how much of a politician the guy is to a T.  Say all the right things, a number of years later, things are actually worse.  Unfortunately, team presidents can’t be voted out of office.

But people want to make us all believe that the media were hard on him the other day.

None of them even mentioned that he said the same **** half a decade ago, after Vinny and Dan said it 10-15 and almost 20 years ago on multiple occasions.

15 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Tomlin is a guy I think of as an example to enter into a debate about whether or not a head coach is really as important as some make them out to be.  Like someone else said, I don't hate him, don't love him either.  I think he, like a lot of other coaches, gets pooped on by their fan base when things don't go as well as they believe they should.  A lot of the stuff guys here complained about regarding Jay are similar beefs that Steeler fans have with Tomlin.

Yup. 

He is an excellent example of what a solid organization can do for that specific role on the team as well as how dependent it is on that support system. 

Let’s put aside, for a moment, the fundamental aspect of how they organize properly and how they set the roles up to be fulfilled by their relative experts and don’t allow unwarranted interference. 

Let’s just look at the surface results of the above. 

When he was hired, he got a franchise QB in his prime (people should read how they drafted Ben and how it’s reflective of proper organizing principles). A team that had an established method of developing draft picks. Perhaps the greatest group of scouts at selecting WR. A constant stream of good to great RBs. He gets handed Dick Labeau at D coordinator with a bunch of All Pros on defense. 

He gets to shine his strengths and eventually rewards them with a Super Bowl. 

As soon as some of those supports begin to wane, you see him struggle a bit. And the more of them do, the more he struggles. 

It’s not rocket science. It really isn’t. It doesn’t mean he’s a trash coach and he can’t overcome anything. It’s not a knock on him that he was setup to succeed. It just means he’s largely a product of his environment, and that environment means more in the end. That his focus, motivation, innovative thinking and creativity will change dependent on his surroundings. That he’s not a static entity that you can place in any situation and get equal output.

No one is. The evidence is staggering regarding this truth. Anyone ignoring that and pointing to the few occurrences where a coaching change made an immediate difference on the surface is fooling themselves in a myriad of ways. But I digress. 

That’s why you have organization. That’s why the Steelers stick with their coaches for as long as they do. They understand what’s more important organizationally and they view it as a failure of supporting roles on their end when they have to fire one. 

That’s why it’s silly to focus on anything else when you see these coaches failing. Focusing in on their play calling, game plans, schemes, etc... is truly narrow minded, especially with the amount of information we’re privy to as fans regarding it. What we think we know is so far off when we get a real insiders look it’s hilarious. Even when the outcome we expect to occur actually does occur, it’s got little to do with what we think is the reason. The rare instance where a coach is truly an idiot can happen, but most of these coaches at the pro level aren’t far off from each other in terms of the football knowledge they have and its application. 

Mike Tomlin will fail here. He will look like an idiot. His strengths will diminish as every day passes and his weaknesses will be highlighted. And then he will become the target within the building as everyone who wants to keep their jobs vies for Snyder’s approval. And the fans will be repeating the same cliches ad nauseam, even if it’s clearly contradictory, about the surface level stuff (play calling, scheme, game planning, practice habits, Etc...) 

Which is where the opportunity to escape accountability and market renewed hope for so many owners and executives presents itself. 

Archived