Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

10 minutes ago, wit33 said:

@Skinsinparadise

Whats your best percentage guess of owners who’ve been largely responsible for at least one pick in their reign as owner??

My guess is 100% 

I got no idea.  I just know the two NFL owners who are pegged with this reputation are Jerry Jones and Dan.  No one else unless someone is escaping me?  In baseball, the dude was George Steinbrenner.  A lot of smoke about all three of them.   I do suspect (and that's purely a guess) that Dan has back off some of this of late but far from completely.  

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What’s that have to do with Dan?  Are you implying that Haskins is his one and only selection ever?  

Not just Dan, I am more curious if others feel owners engage in player personnel and have made a player decision. It’s been widely reported about Dans repeated involvement over the years, so no this report, if true, wouldn’t be the only one. 

For example, Robert Kraft made the call to trade Jimmy G and resign Brady. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got no idea.  I just know the two NFL owners who are pegged with this reputation are Jerry Jones and Dan.  No one else unless someone is escaping me?  In baseball, the dude was George Steinbrenner.  A lot of smoke about all three of them.   I do suspect (and that's purely a guess) that Dan has back off some of this of late but far from completely.  

At least Jerry Jones has the title of GM and owns it.  Danny Boy hides behind Bruce.

I think Danny should coach the Skins and make all personnel decisions as GM.   The results would be the same.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m sure they have, but not to the extent nor with the failure level anywhere near as high as Dan.

I agree. Dan most likely represents the extreme on the spectrum of all owners participating in personnel decisions. 

23 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Very telling that when Orlovsky was doing the counterpoint, that Guice wasn’t even mentioned among the young talent. 

Hasn’t even played a complete half of football and most people consider him a bust... and they’re probably right.

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What’s that have to do with Dan?  Are you implying that Haskins is his one and only selection ever?  

First round picks 2012-2014 + 2019 at minimum were all Dan Snyder, on 2 QBs.

Which means that maybe 4 of the past 8 were actually used by the scouts. Sherff, Doctson, Allen, Payne.

So Gruden got exactly Sherff and nothing else to use on offense from the first round his entire tenure here. 2nd round as well since Guice hasn't played and everybody else was defense.

59 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

There needs to be zero redskins fans in attendance at games in landover only way things might change

Sheehan is on fire this morning, is really angry, mocking Bruce's press conference.  He's making a good point which is its clear as a bell that the Bruce-Jay relationship deteriorated this year based on how Bruce conducted the press conference where we got no typical pleasantries about the departing coach.  The idea is I gave him a great roster and the dude blew it.  Callahan will get this fixed....

Smacks of Vinny saying he gave Zorn a playoff roster.  So he's not the problem.  I am sure that's how Bruce played it to Dan.   I liked Jay better than most people here.  But I said the day before he got canned there is an upside for Jay to be fired now and that is it will make Bruce a lot more naked to attacks.  Bruce basically laid out that Jay's really been the whole problem in the organization.   OK, cool, he's gone now so what's the next excuse?

IMO we have to hope the season keeps going south.  It's a win win anyway IMO because the season is shot and we want the high draft picks.   Sheehan's token line about Bruce/Dan is they are both arrogant and incompetent and that's the worst combination to have in a business. 

I did predict the Dolphins would beat us in the prediction thread but in reality I think we could smoke them.  the Dolphins are horrific.  but after that game I think the losing will commence again. 

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, cool, he's gone now so what's the next excuse?

He doesn't need any, he's untouchable, he doesn't give a damn, and he's just making Vinny looks like a competent GM.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I did predict the Dolphins would beat us in the prediction thread but in reality I think we could smoke them.  the Dolphins are horrific.  but after that game I think the losing will commence again

I, for one, would be content seeing breaking news that we started to trade assets for high picks before the deadline. Right now, the Dolphins look like the better all-around organization by a mile. Regardless of their choice to get rid of two all-pro potential rookies.

Norman

TW

Kerrigan

Reed (or at least retire before you're eating through a straw)

Moses

Everybody for sale

21 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

We'd have to score points to smoke them. I can see the fools finally doing something's different on Defense and shutting down a team that every other team has but it'll be like 13-3 unless we get some pick 6s.

I can see a big day from AP, following it a bunch of hub bub about how running the ball is the key that dum dumb Jay wouldn't commit to.  In addition to a very solid defensive performance.  Something like 24 - 6.

Bruce telling Dan he told you so.  Fan vitriol dying down a little bit.

Then getting smacked by both the 49ers and Vikings in consecutive weeks.

@hawgboy I was listening to Orlovsky during that segment.  Particularly when he was comparing the "culture" of Detroit with the "culture" of Washington when he was there. The blaming, finger pointing, lack of accountability and poor effort.  Pointing to the changes he now sees in Detroit and how it can be turned in Washington I strongly disagree with even with this core group of young guys who want to win like Mclurin, Allen, Kerrigan (not sure I agree with that one), and Collins.   And I throw Haskins in there because the story is not written on him yet.

Now the reason I do not think the Skins will succeed is because the Lions did not magically change their culture but they got a new owner bent on making changes.  The death of Martha Ford's husband in 2014 led to her taking over.  Slowly and methodically she made changes.   They had so many issues under Schwartz, the prior coach and issues with players off the field, probably in the locker room that when they bought in Caldwell in 2014, as much as he was not able to really move them to the next level he did begin the process of defining what a winning culture is because he was a good leader and held players accountable.

When Martha Ford dumped team president Tom Lewand and GM Martin Mayhew in 2015, she did the organization a true solid and it was obvious the rebuild and vision was firmly entrenched. 

I think she has instilled a new philosophy and has attempted to change the culture there since her husband, and previous owners death in 2014.   Matt Patricia, a defensive minded coach, who has had some tough breaks IMO, and struggles, is slowly getting improvement and you really see it this year. The Lions look solid in some key ways.  No they are not perfect at 2-1-1 but they are right in it. They have come a long way because of the changes made in the internal structure of the organization based upon the new philosophy instilled by Martha. 

The Lions are my wild card team for this year.  

On 10/7/2019 at 12:23 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

You know Gruden was done when Allen started to distance himself from the coach. Then you started to hear character assassinations seep into the media, such as the recent suggestion from multiple outlets that Gruden was ineffective because he’s lazy. The strategy to kick ’em on the way out has long been an evil part of the way Snyder has run the franchise. And for what? Justification? The approach predates Allen, but it has gotten only worse with him as the president. The Shanahan exit was messy. The ousting of former general manager Scot McCloughan was messier. When he left for Minnesota, Kirk Cousins was nothing but a selfish guy with a wandering eye. And now Gruden is the bum who didn’t work hard enough to keep his job.

You have to wonder: since Bruce appears to be such a vindictive SOB, if that's the reason the Redskins have stopped wearing their yellow pants altogether since Cousins left. It would not surprise me if Bruce equates those pants with the 'Kurt Cousins' era and feels the fans do too...never mind that most fans prefer that look over the bland white pants. How petty can you get??

14 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

You have to wonder: since Bruce appears to be such a vindictive SOB, if that's the reason the Redskins have stopped wearing their yellow pants altogether since Cousins left. It would not surprise me if Bruce equates those pants with the 'Kurt Cousins' era and feels the fans do too...never mind that most fans prefer that look over the bland white pants. How petty can you get??

I doubt that’s the reason they stopped wearing gold pants and I disagree with you on the aesthetic, I’m glad they stopped wearing them. White pants look much better and white over burgundy looks the best.

Back on topic... until about two years ago, I had held out hope that Dan would grow and learn from his mistakes, but I’m afraid now he never will. The only time this team had a heart, brain, and guts was during and a couple years after Gibbs 2. It feels like we’re rooting for a scare crow now. A team dressed in burgundy and gold, but without a heart and filled with straw instead, that snaps under any pressure. Figuratively and literally.

I simply cannot imagine anyone ever having the audacity to tell me as a grown ass man, to call them Mr. anything.  

I’d love to know the response to that.  I would want to punch him directly in the mouth, better yet just backhand a twerp like Snyder. I wouldn’t of course but I would verbally berate him  without a shadow of a doubt.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I simply cannot imagine anyone ever having the audacity to tell me as a grown ass man, to call them Mr. anything.  

I’d love to know the response to that.  I would want to punch him directly in the mouth, better yet just backhand a twerp like Snyder. I wouldn’t of course but I would verbally berate him  without a shadow of a doubt.

The thing is just about every beat guy who covers this team has said they got stories about Dan-Bruce that will show its worse than we even think.  Hoffman alluded to it right there on that tweet. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What wild is that people capitulate just to be close to that much money. They will say privately how crazy it is but to his face say sorry and correct it. I would bet money thats the response he gets most. Otherwise he probably wouldnt do it. 

I hate people like that. I dont understand how you can have that much going for you and be that kind of a dick. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing is just about every beat guy who covers this team has said they got stories about Dan-Bruce that will show its worse than we even think.  Hoffman alluded to it right there on that tweet. 

It seems as if he’s got two personalities.  The one that is Mr. Nice Guy that tries to be cool with those he deems worthy and a gigantic douche of epic proportions to everyone else.

I mentioned this here many years ago, but I worked with a girl who’s father used to be Dan’s CPA.  She would tell me he was an awful person and that her mom would fight with her father to quit regularly because of how poorly he treated him and others.  He eventually did.  This was at a time when I believed everyone was just out to get him and kinda shrugged it off.  But after all these years and reading accounts like that, it’s much easier to believe.

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It seems as if he’s got two personalities.  The one that is Mr. Nice Guy that tries to be cool with those he deems worthy and a gigantic douche of epic proportions to everyone else.

I mentioned this here many years ago, but I worked with a girl who’s father used to be Dan’s CPA.  She would tell me he was an awful person and that her mom would fight with her father to quit regularly because of how poorly he treated him and others.  He eventually did.  This was at a time when I believed everyone was just out to get him and kinda shrugged it off.  But after all these years and reading accounts like that, it’s much easier to believe.

I had a client like that, he would treat the higher ups in his campaign he was close with (fortunately for me -- me included) nicely.  but would crap on everyone else.  The client ironically was also a dude who grew up lower middle class but became rich at a young age.  One of my colleagues and friends who worked on the same campaign at one point had to tell him look you can't talk to my staff like that, they hate you.  Talk to them like you talk to me.

Just about every expose about Dan and the organization -- depicts Dan as a dude who will treat someone like Gibbs like a king.  But others in that organization he'd berate and rules by fear.  It seems like the way to thrive there is to be a higher echelon dude who is good at kissing up to him and saying Dan you are right and then you find a scapegoat either within the organization or outside the organization. 

I know some like to defend him by saying how do we know all these stories are right?  Yeah indeed maybe some are wrong.  But there are too many stories to shrug them all off -- especially since they come from every direction.   The dude is a train wreck. 

Archived