Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

3 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

Should draft o line this year, let them develop for a year, and draft Tua next year. I'm not hoping for a tank year, but wouldn't hate it. So to protect the future quarterback, draft tackles, guards, and centers. 

It sounds ok, but there's a problem.

To tank a season, it would require everyone being in agreement; the players, coaches and the FO, in which Bruce Allen will have full knowledge of this happening.

He would end up going to Snyder and spin his web of lies/deceit by telling him this was HIS idea and it would be like 2012 all over again with the fans filling the stadium to see Tua.

Snyder would then be thrilled over Allen's decision to 'tank' the season to do this and it would just make  him that  much  more cherished in Dan's eyes.

All this hope that we'll have new management seems like a pipe dream at this point, sadly.  A Schaffer or Smith Promotion to run more the football side of things, is more likely, id guess.. But from the sounds of it, until the Stadium thing shakes out I dont think Bruce is going anywhere unfortunately via the comments by Wylie & Sheehan & firing in the FO.  

2 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I just want to remind fans how bad Skins have been picking and keeping good talent.  Rams have John Sullivan starting at center now and of course we let John Sullivan go a few years ago.   Maybe he wanted to much money but you get what you pay for and our line has been inconsistent.

Sure, but C hasn't been the issue, Chase has played pretty well. Our big issue is LG and guys not staying healthy.

Seriously, who among us hasn't fantasized about that.

It'd be fun to start a social media campaign. We could put together a group of 5-7 ES gurus and make a public bet with Dan and Bruce: give us one year at a vet-min-plus-ham-sammich salary and we get to the playoffs. Dare ya!

I get hit back from one of the FO defenders on this point as if Dan's too involved narrative was also about the annual presser he used to do before the draft -- like we never wanted him to speak ever and even once a year was too much as is.  😁 That's absurd.  The Greta Garbo bit where Dan hides in a hole without explaining anything is what adds to the fans angst.  It comes off like the dude is chicken to ever take any heat and so aloof and detached that he never wants to face his customers

Here's a fan writing a litter to Dan, caught this on twitter

https://nflfanssportsblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/16/open-letter-to-daniel-synder/

As Fans, we feel that you, as the owner; do not care enough about us as customers to communicate with us on a personal level. Afterall, how would your Tanya feel if there was no communication in your marriage? Happy wife, Happy life. This dilemma is not complicated.

I would like to suggest to you, please think about occasionally addressing the Fan base through some mode of communication, so we can know you value or appreciate our honor and loyalty as die-hard fans. We hardly even hear from your President or General Manger, Bruce Allen. Honestly, he seems to run the team like a politician and not a Football guy. Although, on rare occasions, he may make a random comment to a media member outside of the DC area, but he never addresses the fans about the plans of the team to correct this mess. You know, that might go a long way to restore trust in the Organization. After all, without our support, you can’t pay the bills, the staff or the Players. Without us, there would be no team or franchise.

If you don’t believe me, prove you care by; tuning into our Local DC Sports Talk Radio shows during the hours from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM and give an ear to your Fans & {customers} who call into the shows daily on ESPN 980. Really listen with your heart of hearts to how they feel about the team and the neglect they feel as fans.

Maybe, you could learn something more about being an NFL owner, if you would come down from your sheltered position and get a feel of what your customers really feel about the product you are putting on the field and the lack of you trusting an establish Football minded General Manger to build this Team. By now, you must know that this man it is not Bruce Allen. If you keep doing the same old things you are doing, you will get the same results.

That is something that any competent business man, should recognize. Don’t you think?

Have you ever watched “Undercover Boss”? Maybe you could try what they do and descend to their position, maybe you will be enlightened and learn something on how to improve the organization before it is too late to recover this fan base.

All we need to know from your mouth is that you value our opinions and care. I truly believe that this is what it will take to encourage the fans to stick by this team no matter what.

Try it, what do you have to lose?

Mr. Snyder, I mean no dis-respect toward you, but I am only conveying to you how most fans feel about where our Team is headed and we long to see things change, as I hope you do.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get hit back from one of the FO defenders on this point as if Dan's too involved narrative was also about the annual presser he used to do before the draft -- like we never wanted him to speak ever and even once a year was too much as is.  😁 That's absurd.  The Greta Garbo bit where Dan hides in a hole without explaining anything is what adds to the fans angst.  It comes off like the dude is chicken to ever take any heat and so aloof and detached that he never wants to face his customers

Here's a fan writing a litter to Dan, caught this on twitter

https://nflfanssportsblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/16/open-letter-to-daniel-synder/

Is this a good or bad thing, in your view? An owner discussing things to this level. Would suck to be the GM. 

On 1/14/2019 at 10:03 PM, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

All this hope that we'll have new management seems like a pipe dream at this point, sadly.  A Schaffer or Smith Promotion to run more the football side of things, is more likely, id guess.. But from the sounds of it, until the Stadium thing shakes out I dont think Bruce is going anywhere unfortunately via the comments by Wylie & Sheehan & firing in the FO.  

How likely is it that Snyder will even get the new stadium?

In Virginia, Ralph Northam isn't as cozy with Snyder or the Redskins as Terry McAuliffe was. Snyder probably doesn't want to be in Maryland any more. The DC landscape has changed dramatically since RFK. The transients could give two licks about the Skins or the name and they'll be damned if they get stuck with the bill for a new stadium.

I suspect Bruce is playing Dan like a fiddle and knows that getting a new stadium in the ideal location is a pipe dream given all the factors and the current quality of the product.

14 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Is this a good or bad thing, in your view? An owner discussing things to this level. Would suck to be the GM. 

I think you can go too far in either direction, but you MUST be able to communicate on some level with your fanbase as an owner. If you can't do that, you don't deserve to BE an owner. 

I go back to JKC. He never talked much about the personnel specifics, if at all, but he would often make statements to the press about the status of the team, what he was hoping for, expressing his belief in the coaches, the fans, etc. For example, he said this when Norv was struggling in 1998: 

"The only circle that counts is the one around this desk," Cooke said last Friday from his office at the Skins' Ashburn, Va., training facility. "Norv has everything that I'd like to see in a coach. I trust his judgment, his experience, his talent and his motivational skills." Cooke later added a caveat: "In order to win, we must be competitive. As long as they keep trying, I'll remain confident we can turn this around."

That's indicative of the kinds of things he'd occasionally say, but that goes a long way in comforting a disgruntled fan base. That attitude is how you stave off decades of failure.  He would say these things, but he clearly wasn't a meddler. He was also clearly not a coward, unlike our current owner, whose continued silence confirms that every day.

"Having this interest here in the Redskins is the chief hobby of my life. And I would bet you that if you had your choice of any hobby in the world, an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' - JKC

23 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Well I'm the FO defender he was referring to so let me come to the rescue!!!

My opinion? It wouldn't matter. Dan could step up there and do a 30 minute presser and every word every sentence would be over analyzed and inevitably something would be taken out of context and be the new Redskins punching line for the next week.

21 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

How likely is it that Snyder will even get the new stadium?

In Virginia, Ralph Northam isn't as cozy with Snyder or the Redskins as Terry McAuliffe was. Snyder probably doesn't want to be in Maryland any more. The DC landscape has changed dramatically since RFK. The transients could give two licks about the Skins or the name and they'll be damned if they get stuck with the bill for a new stadium.

I suspect Bruce is playing Dan like a fiddle and knows that getting a new stadium in the ideal location is a pipe dream given all the factors and the current quality of the product.

Wouldn't it be the real DC Curse for Snyder to take the team, leave DC, go to a city like St Louis, have them build him a stadium, and then suddenly he learns how to become a legit owner, building a dynasty? Then we get an expansion franchise or some relocation like the Jaguars who come here and give us nothing but suck for another 20+ years? 

33 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Good thing and very normal.  Owners speak.  GMs speak.  The abnormal thing is here.   At least when Vinny was here he can face the music and along with Dan would do at least an annual pressers.   Part of the reasons why many fans think both are weasels are neither seem to be willing to face the music and want to do their thing in the dark.  Bruce used to have the guts to do it but some reporters say they heard Bruce is still bothered by his 2014 presser -- now he just does it in quick interviews with friendly reporters once or twice a year.  Czaben talked about the other day that back when the team owned the station Dan once said he was willing to do an interview but all tough type questions were off limits so Czaben turned it down because he didn't want to look bad doing a fluff interview with him.

Mara talks to the press plenty, obviously Jerry Jones ditto.  Most do. 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/3/28/17171704/eagles-observations-jeffery-lurie-nfl-owners-meetings-press-conference-philadelphia-super-bowl-wentz

Philadelphia Eagles chairman and CEO Jeffrey Lurie was questioned about a number of topics during his 46-minute press conference on Tuesday evening at the 2018 NFL owners meetings. Here are some observations about what he had to say.

17 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Yes, it's a very good thing. Now, would it be OK if it were Bruce? OK, as long as he is as candid as he can be, not this slick politician garbage. 

3 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

My opinion? It wouldn't matter. Dan could step up there and do a 30 minute presser and every word every sentence would be over analyzed and inevitably something would be taken out of context and be the new Redskins punching line for the next week.

Of course it will. The comments by David Tepper are being scrutinized the same way. The same way it would for all the other owners. That's part of being an owner. We have a CEO - he speaks to the entire company to discuss direction. Many like but many do not like. But rest assured his comments are scrutinized to the inth degree. It's part of being in charge. 

Dan just needs to put his big boy pants on take the heat! If he did it more often than people may not be feel so detached and start to understand his goals and process. The problem is if he did it now, there is a lot of distrust among the fans since he has acted in secrecy, coupled with the lack of success. 

People just want to feel like they are part of the process. That those making decisions give a ****. So come out, make some general statements about being really disappointed about the season. That it's too bad we had all the injuries. We are looking for ways to solve the QB for next yr and as soon as we can, we will let you know. Thanks for supporting the team. 

Right now that simple of a statement would bring on a firestorm of speculation - probably more about what he didn't say than what he did. Ok, suck it up and understand it's just fans passion coming through. Do it more often and follow through with what you say and people will begin to slowly trust you. It's not really rocket science. 

I know this is an old topic, but my point is relevant and I didn't want to start a new thread just for my opinion.

It's 16 January 2019 and a few days ago I heard something on the radio that made me stop my truck and just take it all in.  After the season the Skins had the team announced that not only was Bruce staying on with the team but he'd gotten more responsibility by taking over all business operations.  Is Dan totally insane?!  Does he actually WANT this team to win and NOT be the laughing stock of the league.  I disagree with OP and feel the Skins are STILL viewed as being inept in ALL aspects of managing a professional team.

Being as Dan is the owner of the team he certainly can't, and isn't qualified, to be the GM as well.  Bruce knows NOTHING about being a GM as evidenced by the record the team has amassed during his supposed run as GM.  The 2 years Mccloughan served as the GM were the best we've had in a long time, but yet, Bruce couldn't handle the success because he had barely any part in it during those 2 years.  The public humilation of the man was uncalled for and Bruce should be ashamed of himself for being the driving force behind it.  Dan shares in this as he allowed it to happen the way it did.  Total heartless bull****. 

It's obvious Dan needs a "yes man" around him all time, so my feeling is that since the decision was made to not fire him, this team will continue to be doomed.  Doomed in mediocrity and doomed to continue being the laughing stock of the league.  My feelings for this team have diminished over the years.  I used to be a passionate fan when I was younger but after seeing the influence Bruce has left on this team its taken all the passion I had out of me.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only fan that feels this way either.

I was hoping beyond all hope that Bruce would step down or take a position with another team.  Still saddened here in Stafford, Va.

30 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Of course it will. The comments by David Tepper are being scrutinized the same way. The same way it would for all the other owners. That's part of being an owner. We have a CEO - he speaks to the entire company to discuss direction. Many like but many do not like. But rest assured his comments are scrutinized to the inth degree. It's part of being in charge. 

Dan just needs to put his big boy pants on take the heat! If he did it more often than people may not be feel so detached and start to understand his goals and process. The problem is if he did it now, there is a lot of distrust among the fans since he has acted in secrecy, coupled with the lack of success. 

People just want to feel like they are part of the process. That those making decisions give a ****. So come out, make some general statements about being really disappointed about the season. That it's too bad we had all the injuries. We are looking for ways to solve the QB for next yr and as soon as we can, we will let you know. Thanks for supporting the team. 

Right now that simple of a statement would bring on a firestorm of speculation - probably more about what he didn't say than what he did. Ok, suck it up and understand it's just fans passion coming through. Do it more often and follow through with what you say and people will begin to slowly trust you. It's not really rocket science. 

Yeah understood, and I'd appreciate if he did that also. Was just pointing out that those who act like if Snyder came out and held a presser would make all of this go away are lying to themselves. Instead of taking heat for not talking and being chicken, he'd take heat for some comment he made taken out of context or something.

3 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Yeah understood, and I'd appreciate if he did that also. Was just pointing out that those who act like if Snyder came out and held a presser would make all of this go away are lying to themselves. Instead of taking heat for not talking and being chicken, he'd take heat for some comment he made taken out of context or something.

But that's just it, I do not think anyone is saying "it would all go away" if he stopped being a coward. They are just saying it would be a good step in the right direction by pointing out there are owners - most of them - that do reach out directly to fans. 

he has a long way to go to regain the trust of many fans - including myself. I honestly am not sure he could ever earn that trust back from me personally, but I will not close the door on the possibility. 

1 hour ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Why would that be?  The media just tougher, nastier and unfair to Dan as opposed to the rest of the country? The NY media and Philly is notorious for being the toughest in the country -- not DC. 

Yeah if Dan finally came out of his cave, he'd get some tough questions after all this time.  It's like avoiding a physical with a doctor and having everything pent up for 5 plus years -- the doctor is going to poke around much more in that context.  But I used to watch Dan-Vinny's pressers and they weren't that harsh.

Heck if Bruce just got out and made fun of himself some like Sanchez did with the butt fumble talk in the press conference -- He'd probably turn some people around.  Maybe Sanchez could teach Bruce and Dan that some self-deprecating comments and coming off open and loose can go along way to improving your PR status.  And yes, I am talking from personal professional experience.  I've had over 500 clients at this point in my career -- all of whom had some level of public interest and yes in some cases we had to rebuild relationships with the press.  And yes it often works. 

Going into a hole like they are doing typically makes it worse.  And I can talk about that from first hand observation in cases.  So I don't feel sorry for the bad coverage they get.  They've earned it.  

13 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Who is saying that Dan would make it go all away with one presser?  That's a straw man argument.

11 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I don't think anyone said a Snyder presser would "make all this go away." But it would be a step in the right direction. If his reasoning for not talking is that "people aren't going to listen or will parse every word and make me look bad anyway," then that says everything that needs to be said about the guy and confirms his cowardice even more, as well as his general disdain for the fanbase. 

There's a reason the phrase is "TAKE the heat." Because that implies that the heat dissipates when you step out and rightfully take responsibility for it. Snyder's chosen to just ignore it and let it continue to boil. Only a gutless ****bag handles adversity that way. 

Archived