Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Redskins at the moment Vegas is thinking are the 2nd worst team in the NFL next season, I hope they are right.  Look I'd take a playoff year any day of the week but if its between being 7-9 and 3-13, I'd take 3-13 by a mile -- the easiest way to get good the fastest is be really bad for a year or two.

4 hours ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

Wow.  That is a truly telling chart.  NOT only are we the 2nd worst in the NFC, but the only team w/ more last place finishes is Tampa. Where our Tampa good-ole-boy connection has ties to: Bruce, Jay, etc.

Those were the old days, they turned over a new leaf in 2018 -- remember the 6-3 start, heck I witnessed the first and last win of that run in person, I should feel special to witness greatness like that --since it sounds like its a legendary run for those who talk about last season in that building.   And I am only being a little sarcastic -- judging by the beat guys covering the team, at Redskins Park they are practically obsessed with that 6-3 start as some sign of great things to come.  

The Giants terrible back to back seasons trumps the Redskins two 7-9's as for the big picture.  Makes their off seasons more fun, they just keep accruing stars.  They will likely leapfrog us in the standings as soon as next season.  Envious.    Our turn hopefully...

7 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The English language just filed a cease and desist order against you. Claiming a level of abuse that borders on criminal.

The two "theys" were for emphasis along with the "themselves".  Just one "they" isn't enough to describe the magnitude of Bruce and Dan.   And "realizes" over realized just to see if anyone was still paying attention. 😉

7 hours ago, dyst said:

That would be ****ing hilarious if after all this time, Bruce sticks us in a ****ty stadium with another 30 year lease in some bum**** location even worse than Landover.

Someone in our front office is vindictive, evidenced by no half time show at our final home game. Dare I think its him.

Someone refresh my memory, when are GM's typically fired.  I thought they were usually fired right after the team's last game, in order to give as much time as possible for the official search for a new one that can quickly tackle the offseason issues.  So should I be concerned that Bruce Allen is still here?  

1 hour ago, Koala said:

Someone refresh my memory, when are GM's typically fired.  I thought they were usually fired right after the team's last game, in order to give as much time as possible for the official search for a new one that can quickly tackle the offseason issues.  So should I be concerned that Bruce Allen is still here?  

Dan just handed him more responsibilities, so, you shouldn't be concerned over the fact he is and will be here.  Be concerned on how he is going to destroy the team further.

17 hours ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

Wow.  That is a truly telling chart.  NOT only are we the 2nd worst in the NFC, but the only team w/ more last place finishes is Tampa. Where our Tampa good-ole-boy connection has ties to: Bruce, Jay, etc.

Finishing last 8 times over the past 17 seasons is not something to brag about.  There are multiple ways one can break it down though.  Hell, two of those last place finishes was under Gibbs 2.0, two under Zorn, three under Shanny and only one under Jay (his first season).  One might say that we are improving overall in Jay's tenure, people like Bruce.

Looking at the bigger picture, where did we end up across all four spots?  I looked, from 2002-2018 and this is how we finished in all four spots in the NFC East:

1st -  2 times

2nd - 1 time

3rd - 6 times

4th - 8 times

For me, finishing third in the division isn't much better than finishing fourth.  Hell, from purely draft position, it's worse cause most likely has you picking in the middle and not top 10.  Now I'm not the type to pull for us to lose, I just can't do that, even if it came down to the last season of the game with the first round pick on the line (lose we get it, win we don't).  Just like I can never root for a Dallas win, even if it would get us into the playoffs.

One of those third place finishes did yield a playoff spot with a 9-7 record, under Gibbs II.  So it's even more depressing big picture, in what world does the owner look at this and think that it is acceptable?  Take it further, here is where we finished since 2010 when Bruce came aboard:

1st -  2 times

2nd -0 times

3rd - 3 times

4th - 4 times

First place twice, 2012 under Shanny with a gimmick offense that actually worked due to the Olympic speed of our rookie QB.  And 2015 under Jay with McVay calling plays and Kirks first year as a starter, with weapons.  Maybe for now, that's what keeps saving Bruce's job, or part of the reason.  Along with the 3rd place finishes where 7 wins and plethora of injuries is an excuse to be made to Danny that we "are almost over the hump".  

The argument can also be made that credit should go to former GMSM for the 2015 season and not to Bruce.  Same with 2012 credit going to the Shanny's and the read option offense and not to Bruce.  I look at it and see 7 bad/horrible seasons out of the last 9 sprinkled with a dash of success and pinch of luck.  

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So I think its kind of like that -- Bruce thinking he will have the last laugh and will go out on top and the haters will have to reluctantly give him a nod at the end where Bruce takes an I told you do victory lap.

I don't know why, but this made me think about if the Redskins did ever fluke themselves into a Super Bowl win while Bruce Allen was here.  And down at the parade, when the car with Bruce drove by, how much boo'ing he would receive.  That would be a sight to see.

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I don't know why, but this made me think about if the Redskins did ever fluke themselves into a Super Bowl win while Bruce Allen was here.  And down at the parade, when the car with Bruce drove by, how much boo'ing he would receive.  That would be a sight to see.

Why don't you just enjoy the parade at that point? Sheesh.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I know it's fun to hate Dan Snyder, but am I the only one who can't see the relevance of the yacht story and him being a ****ty owner? 

Billionaires spend lots of money on stuff. A good owner could do the exact same thing. 

A bad owner should focus on his team first imo. This one flees to the Bahamas and is focused on a multi million dollars imax screen. Last but not least, his team is ranked 5th most hated company. So luxury and leisure are the off season priorities while your team reached another level of dysfunction. Sorry, my bad,  I forgot we are winning off the field :ph34r::silly:

Just now, FrFan said:

A bad owner should focus on his team first imo. This one flees to the Bahamas and is focused on a multi million dollars imax screen. Last but not least, his team is ranked 5th most hated company. So luxury and leisure are the off season priorities while your team reached another level of dysfunction. Sorry, my bad,  I forgot we are winning off the field :ph34r::silly:

The optics look bad, but otherwise I'm not concerned about this for a couple reasons: 

1) It assumes that someone can't take 10 minutes to make a request in his personal life and also spend time on his professional life

2) It assumes that additional attention by Snyder would HELP the Redskins

Even if #2 was true (I don't think it is), to assume that Snyder can only "focus on his team" if he's not doing anything else with his time is pretty closed-minded and far-fetched. Even the simplest of minds can effectively multi-task writing a check and doing a 9-to-5 job simultaneously. 

Unless you meant that those $3M should have been re-invested into the team. If that's your point (money, not his time) I would think it's ridiculous to expect that a rich guy has to be expected to spend all his money on his football team. 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The optics look bad, but otherwise I'm not concerned about this for a couple reasons: 

1) It assumes that someone can't take 10 minutes to make a request in his personal life and also spend time on his professional life

2) It assumes that additional attention by Snyder would HELP the Redskins

Even if #2 was true (I don't think it is), to assume that Snyder can only "focus on his team" if he's not doing anything else with his time is pretty closed-minded and far-fetched. Even the simplest of minds can effectively multi-task writing a check and doing a 9-to-5 job simultaneously. 

Unless you meant that those $3M should have been re-invested into the team. If that's your point (money, not his time) I would think it's ridiculous to expect that a rich guy has to be expected to spend all his money on his football team. 

This is what I meant from the get go focus on your team, invest the money where it MUST be.  I believe there are many areas that could benefit from a wise injection of cash to help make this team better. Instead we've got Hubris One coming first. One can also say he does what he wants with his money as a matter of fact.

3 minutes ago, FrFan said:

This is what I meant from the get go focus on your team, invest the money where it MUST be.  I believe there are many areas that could benefit from a wise injection of cash to help make this team better. Instead we've got Hubris One coming first. One can also say he does what he wants with his money as a matter of fact.

I guess until they succeed you could always make the case that he's not spending enough. But unless that $3M was going to go into the Redskins, it's tough to get too bent out of shape when a billionaire spends money on luxury items. 

Anyway, I'll back down...I just think there are plenty of legitimate things to pile on Snyder about. Spending money on rich-guy stuff isn't something I care too much about. 

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hartman runs a scouting academy, not sure about his point, is 15 scouts on the low side?  Got no idea.

Patriots had 25 (2014), Rams 13, Chiefs a dozen, Browns 22, Steelers 12, Bears 16, Eagles 14, Cowboys had up to 27 back in 2014, Giants 15, etc... Most of them are using Blesto

Archived