Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bruce & Jay according to people who cover the team are selling Dan on the status quo.  I don't see how they'd have another choice but to sell that.  Bruce can't sell Dan something like hey this is year #10 for me but this is going to be a rough season, hang in with me further for a rebuild in my year #11 here or Jay saying the same for year 6 and tell Dan to wait for year 7.  So they are likely selling Dan on exactly what Jay said in his last press conference which is this team is really close and is as good as anyone.

The question then becomes does Dan believe them?   Bruce or Jay on their own trying to shake up the status quo would go against their own narrative let alone it sounds like Manusky was their hire so doubt they'd be in the mood to tell Dan yeah we blew that one, lets see who else we can get.  

According to some who cover the team right now Bruce and Jay's future are somewhat interlocked.   Heck the beat guys also got right that defensive coordinator is where Dan wanted to make a splash instead of replacing Bruce or Jay. So on that front, perhaps Bruce and Jay were ok with it because it might have helped their own job security.   

Whether its good that Dan wants to take that lead -- that's another story.  I don't think its good.  But I hold Bruce in just as low esteem as I do Dan.  So I don't want Bruce making the call either.  I don't think either should mess with coach decisions.  It should be Jay.  And if either doesn't trust Jay, then just fire him as opposed to neutering him. 

If Dan is neutering Bruce some now its an interesting dilemma for me because I don't see either one as competent football people and I see both as people who deserve situations that force feed them some humility.  So I look at is as a Godzilla-King Kong battle where I'd root for them to eat each other up.

But in short one insider here said Bruce was making the assistant coach decisions.  Now we got angry Dan kicking in and taking over and doing his thing on that front.  Both scenarios are wrong IMO.  It should be Jay.  Now if a HC change is being made -- that's different.  Dan is the guy that technically should make that call or his GM but I don't trust either one to make a good decision.  But the HC should hire his own assistants. 

being forcefed humility does nothing.  They're trying to do their jobs, that's all.   Bruce can easily sell Dan on the fact that it's not really year ten for him because for six of those years he's had someone with equal or greater power on the job.  Meanwhile Gruden doesn't actually have roster control meaning injury issues aren't his fault

41 minutes ago, carex said:

being forcefed humility does nothing. 

No way to know but if Bruce and Dan are as arrogant as some say they are, it doesn't hurt.  No way for you or I to know one way or another.

Bruce can easily sell Dan on the fact that it's not really year ten for him because for six of those years he's had someone with equal or greater power on the job. 

Even if so, not that easy to say give anyone 5 years plus with that GM explaining year 6 might be a down year but hang in there with them.  Multiple people who cover this team said Bruce had plenty of power when Shanny was here.  But who knows.  I don't care though the sample size for me is large enough to form an opinion that Bruce stinks at his job for multiple reasons.

Meanwhile Gruden doesn't actually have roster control meaning injury issues aren't his fault

Agree, I have no issue with Jay.  Just explaining that its tough to explain to an impatient owner that on year 6 there might be a downturn but stay patient because year 7 they'd bounce back.  So I think Jay is boxed in a corner to sell this coming year -- he'd have no choice, I'd guess. 

I would say Snyder is pretty darn arrogant, who buys a 100 million boat when trying to get free tax payer money...what he just couldnt wait a year or two. That 100 million boat will be mentioned in every conversation about the stadium.

Snyder only cares about one thing right now, the stadium, so he can be richer. Its hard to be the pats good year in year out but it really isnt hard to run an average and respected organization. At the end of the day Snyder is making it almost impossible to be a fan of this team because he is such a douche, laughing and buying 100 million dollar boats because of our brainwashed stupidity.

7 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

I would say Snyder is pretty darn arrogant, who buys a 100 million boat when trying to get free tax payer money...what he just couldnt wait a year or two. That 100 million boat will be mentioned in every conversation about the stadium.

Snyder only cares about one thing right now, the stadium, so he can be richer. Its hard to be the pats good year in year out but it really isnt hard to run an average and respected organization. At the end of the day Snyder is making it almost impossible to be a fan of this team because he is such a douche, laughing and buying 100 million dollar boats because of our brainwashed stupidity.

I see a lot of post about Snyder's yacht but I don't realistically see how it effects anything going on with the team.  He's rich, people that have lots of money buy things like this all the time. Snyder is just the only person with money people on this forum pay attention to 24/7.   If I was rich I wouldn't think twice about buying something crazy.

19 minutes ago, hogdirty said:

I see a lot of post about Snyder's yacht but I don't realistically see how it effects anything going on with the team.  He's rich, people that have lots of money buy things like this all the time. Snyder is just the only person with money people on this forum pay attention to 24/7.   If I was rich I wouldn't think twice about buying something crazy.

Yacht, Redskins One. Just feels like his priorities are all off. Well that, and he is a failure of an NFL owner.

21 minutes ago, dyst said:

Yacht, Redskins One. Just feels like his priorities are all off. Well that, and he is a failure of an NFL owner.

Ha, buying a yacht or an airplane wouldn't be a sign of bad priorities for a billionaire owner of a football team.  A realistic example of bad priorities would be someone as poor as me spending so much time on forum like this. 

Think about it like this, he owns a football team and he's rich.  He's not in charge of any important companies or political organizations that may have more of an effect or impact on your lives.  He bought a bout, so what

Watched a 2nd year coach who WAS the O.C. of this team now taking his NEW team to the SuperBowl.

Then I put the Rams and the Redskins side-by-side, and its like putting a raw egg next to a Spanish Omelette prepared by a world-renown chef.

There isn't a thing that Doofus Dan or Bumbling Bruce could do to turn this organization around.

Taking a look through my magic crystal ball, by the end of week 5, there will be numerous firings, as the Redskins struggle to be competitive and suffer near-record humiliating defeats.

I am beside myself at the magnitude of incompetence by the owner and upper management personnel, as it appears their cell phones are all on speed dial settings to Tampa Bay Buccaneer employees. Snyder deserves every damn bit of misfortune coming his way, and then some. I hope when his prized yacht is launched, someone forgets to put the plugs in and cross wires the bilge pumps; and not discovering this until they are hundreds of miles offshore.

HEY DAN, DON'T FORGET TO PAINT YOUR LIFE RINGS A SEA GREEN COLOR SO YOU WILL BE COLOR-COORDINATED!  jackass.

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If I had the money, I’d make Dan an offer he couldn’t refuse.  

Or just offer him a one night of bowling with RG3, Clinton Portis, Lavar, and a hot prospect Qb about to come out in 2019, oh and Jay Cutler + Chad Johnson.

13 hours ago, hogdirty said:

Your missing the point, Its not that a billionaire cant buy a yacht, its the optics, the lack of self awareness that he lacks in everything he does that carries over to the skins which cause unnecessary problems. Its the I will be damned attitude, everything in life is about perception. A smart person would of said..hey..why not wait a year or two until I secure land. Just making the point because yacht or no yacht I am against him getting a penny of tax money.

1 hour ago, Gibbs828791 said:

Your missing the point, Its not that a billionaire cant buy a yacht, its the optics, the lack of self awareness that he lacks in everything he does that carries over to the skins which cause unnecessary problems. Its the I will be damned attitude, everything in life is about perception. A smart person would of said..hey..why not wait a year or two until I secure land. Just making the point because yacht or no yacht I am against him getting a penny of tax money.

But reduce the scale and let me know if you let things going on in your personal or professional life impact each of your decisions. Do you hold off on new clothes if your brother is out of work? Do you decide not to splurge on going to Applebees if you think someone at work might see you there and wonder where you came into that $37? 

I know they are extreme examples, but we have to realize that his personal spending very likely is not linked to the money he's pouring into the Redskins. Whether he bought a yacht or bathes in Dom, it's really not relevant. 

Not sure I agree that the implication is Dan has disdain for Jay per Riggo Rag below.  But this whole thing comes off weird even by Redskins standards.

Following the narratives in recent weeks looks like we likely got something like:

A.  Dan clearly recognizes the need for a splash.  I'll slam Dan as much as anyone but for his faults I don't think he's that tone deaf as for recognizing fan discontent.  I think his weakness is knowing what to do about his own discontent and or that of fans.

B.  They must have some recognition that its not that attractive to coach the Redskins considering how they were unwilling to fire Manusky because supposedly they didn't want to be left holding the bag if they fired him and no one serious took the job.

C.  The JLC article more or less alludes to discussions about I'd gather removing Bruce out of the way.  Was that Dan recognizing it as a potential obstacle or Bowles bringing it up?

D.  Dan's hit the point that he doesn't trust Jay and or Bruce on the d coordinator position.  It's tough for me for example to believe that it was Dan who insisted Joe Barry over Wade Phillips.  Dan likes the splash not the low key hires, typically.

E.  With all this swirling wonder about what's going on in the building?  Sounds like some serious tension and distrust.

F.  With Dan swinging for coordinators and striking out -- how moody is he now about creating another splash.

G.  I presume that Dan recognizes Bruce's baggage right now.  And it looks like the right situation would compel him to dump him.  I am gathering the stadium is the X factor.  

H. Per usual, Dan likes to involved himself in affairs more when he's upset.  I think clearly that's brewing. 

https://riggosrag.com/2019/01/21/redskins-owner-dan-snyder-desperately-wanted-todd-bowles/

There’s a lot to take away from this. First off, Snyder reportedly put all his effort into bringing Bowles to D.C. Bowles, a former defensive back who won two Super Bowl rings with the Redskins; one in 1987, and one in 1992. Bowles is also friends with Doug Williams, Washington’s current Director of Player Personnel. The fact that Snyder tried so hard, and offered so much, and Bowles still rejected the job, in favor of Tampa Bay, says a great deal about how Snyder’s rampant dysfunction resonates with the rest of the NFL.

Second, this quote details a certain disdain for Jay Gruden from Snyder. Snyder was reportedly willing to give Todd Bowles the head coaching job, after essentially sticking with Jay Gruden for the first month away from football. After interviewing defensive coordinator candidates while Greg Manusky was still in his job, this is not a good look for Snyder. He desperately wanted Bowles, to the point where he may have given him the top job. But Bowles wanted nothing to do with Snyder, and chose Tampa over the place he won two Super Bowls. A stable work environment goes a long way, and the Redskins have the polar opposite.

Now, the head coach knows his owner wants him gone. The defensive coordinator knows his owner wants him gone. Several position coaches have already left, knowing the situation could collapse with another year, and is mangled beyond repair. Things may get worse before they get better in Ashburn.

14 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

So Dan'll take his Redskins and we're left in 5 years with the Washington Necromancers.

Corny name, but sign me up. I know some people who could design some sweet logos and uniforms around that concept

10 minutes ago, wit33 said:

@Skinsinparadise

I know you’re in favor of tanking and feel it may happen despite FOs efforts this upcoming season, but if you were trying to increase chances of a division title or a 10 win season next year, how would you approach the draft and off season? 

Load up on O line and get a big time TE who can also block.  Try to become a monster running team.  Draft someone like Cody Ford with the first rounder or Lindstrom in the 2nd or a monster blocking TE like Hockenson in the first and or K. Smith in the 2nd.    Sign a pass rusher in FA -- stacked free agent crop.    Try to keep Colt injury free by being major run driven and with the horses to do it successfully.  Bring back Johnson as the back up.  I don't think it helps them win a division title but if they are smart about it, they maybe can pull a 9-7.  

I just think its tough to win without a QB.  As you know, I wasn't in love with Alex.  but I do think he could have improved in year 2 and even if not he's better IMO than Colt.  I am not a big believer in Colt albeit I do buy that his teammates think he's a great guy. 

Meanwhile Bruce and Dan are learning how to play fiddles as Redskins Park burns around them.   No reputable coach or free agent with a sliver of dignity would join this circus.   The only ones that would consider would be those looking to con the team into one last big payday before retiring like Haynesworth....or a coach who has been out of the NFL for a few years and desperate enough to get back in even if it means signing a deal with the devil.  

All you diehards can continue with the self inflicted punishment by playing the fantasy draft and FA game, thinking that a trip to the Super Bowl is just right around the corner.  A few more players here and another coach there.   If 20 plus years can’t get you to see reality then you never will.  

Must be nice living in a dream world but you will have to wake up someday.  Redskin fans are screwed for the next 30-40 years or until Dan passes away....whichever comes first....but by that time there might not even be an NFL to cheer for with all the lawsuits over concussions just down the pike.

GLTA.

Hail Redskins.....

Laconfora just on, I'd have to listen to it again to see if I missed something or misinterpreted anything but here's what I got from it:

(this is the part I have to re-listen to because I think I got this right but was half listening to this part) He thinks Bowles was smart enough to see how screwed up it would be for him to come here and run the defense when Jay maybe wasn't into it.  In other words, Bowles gets that it shouldn't be the owner overriding the HC.

Others have told Dan in the past that he made a mistake by not hiring Bowles as a coach including Joe Gibbs.   Dan told Bowles if he wouldn't take the job he'd chase Gregg Williams next.

Dan knowing how Bowles and Doug were close was trying to sell possible reshuffling the FO where Bowles would be dealing with Doug.  JLC said no one would be fooled by any change in Bruce's title considering how much power he has defacto at Redskins Park.

Dan went full court press on Bowles including sending his Jet to pick him up.

JLC said no serious HC candidate will come here with Bruce running the show.  People around the league think its comical that Bruce is the checks and balances guy at Redskins Park.  And its just as comical these days as the heyday of the Cerrato era with Vinny.  Bruce and Vinny from what he observed are now on just about equal footing around the league as being seen as incompetent clowns.

Bruce in general is considered a league wide joke and potential HC candidates don't trust that dude running personnel.  So why does Dan double down on Bruce -- JLC recalls the Cerrato stuff and says its similar here which is Dan just gets enamored with the relationship with his right-hand man and feels loyalty to have their back

20 hours ago, hogdirty said:

Ha, buying a yacht or an airplane wouldn't be a sign of bad priorities for a billionaire owner of a football team.  A realistic example of bad priorities would be someone as poor as me spending so much time on forum like this. 

Think about it like this, he owns a football team and he's rich.  He's not in charge of any important companies or political organizations that may have more of an effect or impact on your lives.  He bought a bout, so what

I don't really care with Dan buying a yacht. He can do whatever he wants. And to be fair, he probably ordered it a few years ago...

Problem I have with Dan being rich right now is because he stlll owns Redskins. He's making money out of it, but every other buisness he had failed... Which is a problem... Redskins for Dan are his main course, while for every other owner, it's a sidekick...

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bruce in general is considered a league wide joke and potential HC candidates don't trust that dude running personnel.  So why does Dan double down on Bruce -- JLC recalls the Cerrato stuff and says its similar here which is Dan just gets enamored with the relationship with his right-hand man and feels loyalty to have their back

Well, Dan can still sell the team, #fireBruceAllen (in no specific order) and still hand around and have a beer in a bar or two... Those two things aren't exclusives.

So they'd be able to talk about good ol' times and what if games...

They could still event sign up for ES!

Archived