Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

57 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Wow, in 2011 when the Redskins were just about half way through this cluster**** of Dan Snyder's ownership almost none of you wanted the Redskins to suck for Luck, now it has become much more popular though things aren't really more screwed up right now. It has been pretty consistent since Gibbs retired the 2nd time.

BTW, I was all in on the suck for Luck bandwagon. The team was going nowhere without a Qb and those 2 extra wins cost the Redskins 3 first rounders and a 2nd for a QB who had no idea how to play the position. We moved up 4 spots for a home wild card loss and several years of hilarity.

Sell the team Doofus Dan.

I've come around on this for the first time.  My default position on Dan is our best shot for success is just dumb luck.  Luck into a franchise QB.  And luck into a new BFF that doesn't feed into his douche-incompetent predispositions.   I am resigned to nothing else will work with him.

I thought it was interesting that even his old pal Clinton Portis said recently that in his mind the worst luck of Dan's era is they while they've been bad, they've been just enough above water to never land franchise players at the top of the draft and that has killed them.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Actually for me I hope they don't pull a  rabbit out of the hat.  Not interested in Bruce's latest gambit to secure 8-8.  Enbrace the stink, its the perfect season to do it IMO. 

https://nypost.com/2019/01/13/dolphins-basically-planning-to-tank-in-tua-tagovailoa-head-turner/

SPORTS

Dolphins basically planning to tank in Tua Tagovailoa head-turner

Yeah I definitely don’t disagree at all.  It a great time for it.

Somehow I don’t see it happening. Have a feeling we are gonna be stuck in this malaise for a minute.  Bruce is probably gonna start throwing hailmary’s. This do nothing Mode is brutal. 

5 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I get what you are saying - lie in the bed you made. However, who knows what kind of much more long lasting destruction he can do to the team trying to desperately save himself. Sorry, he has to go. 

Here is another thought. Someone else coming in can make the tough decisions to get the team out. for example, I would agree to an injury settlement with Alex. The CAP hit next year wold be extraordinary. But you are then done with it. There are a bunch of moves that can be made to create CAP - moves that are tough but need to be made. Not the right place for details but they are there. 

The point is Bruce will just keep digging deeper, especially given his arrogance. Who knows what kind of even more long lasting damage he can bring. 

I totally agree with your points that Bruce will dig us deeper and also taking the hit with Alex.  Draft the QB from Duke as I watched 4 of his games and he can compete with rookie pay and we suffer one season, and we are done. Also move on from Reed as his salary is too much for a few games a year.  When he plays, he's playing hurt anyways.  Draft O-linemen, DB, TE and QB.  The big mistake was letting Swearinger go for nothing. That hurt our poor D backfield even more.  I hate to say it but I wish they would have gone after G Williams as our Defensive Coord. I would even offer Callahan the HC job to keep from losing him as he is a miracle worker with the O-line....he could hire an offensive coord and Williams for the defense.  McVay was the loss who should have been promoted to  HC but Bruce isblind to everything football related.  It seems he's staying put so I won't be going to the games anymore and will just watch the tv occasionally.  

this belongs here, too.  Years back I wanted Zorn gone but I still thought they handled it like a clown show.  and in this case I'd love Gregg Williams and think he's an upgrade but also see it as a clown show as for their approach to it.  I felt bad for Zorn even though I wanted him gone.  I am not really anti-Manusky, I can take him or leave him as a coach but I've met him twice and he's a super cool-nice guy and while i prefer Gregg as DC -- still feel bad for how they are going about this.

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

We seem to be at Next-Level disfunction this year. We deserve better as a fan base. Gruden has to be depressed as well, given he’s the front man to this terrible band...Here’s hoping we pull a rabbit out of the hat this year, chances are slim.

No.  No rabbit.  That would give Bruce more excuses and be seen as "vindication" for how things have been handled by the owner and the four or five Bruce supporters in the world.  I've never been a fan to want my team to lose, but as long as this team stays the course with Allen, I don't know that I want us to win at all.  I'm beyond tired of 7-9 and 8-8, which fools the owner into buying every word that Allen sells when he says we are "close."  We are close, close to being the worst franchise in the NFL history.  We need change at all costs, and the cost may very well be dismal losing, like 1-15, dismal.

Williams would be the most Redskiny hire possible.  Bad and overrated defensive mind, but with a name that fans will recognize from the "better days", so Snyder can trot him out and sell more tickets.  The retreads are a big reason why this franchise is failing, there is no new blood and new ideas, just a good old boys club of boys who were never any good in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Doug not loving working over there at the FO, shocking 😀  Actually selfishly I wouldn't mind if Doug quit or was let go for the pure reason that he's so honest that he might actually spill the beans on what goes on. 

Doug sayin he quits could spell doom for Dan.

I would love to see it.

7 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

No.  No rabbit.  That would give Bruce more excuses and be seen as "vindication" for how things have been handled by the owner and the four or five Bruce supporters in the world.  I've never been a fan to want my team to lose, but as long as this team stays the course with Allen, I don't know that I want us to win at all.  I'm beyond tired of 7-9 and 8-8, which fools the owner into buying every word that Allen sells when he says we are "close."  We are close, close to being the worst franchise in the NFL history.  We need change at all costs, and the cost may very well be dismal losing, like 1-15, dismal.

thats exactly right.  the more we teeter on these 8-8 type seasons the more dan will think we are close and doing well.  only thing to get changes are a terrible season.  vinny got fired at the end of a 4-12 season, i still believe had alex smith lost 2 of those games early in the season, bruce would be gone.  but 7-9 is closer than 5-11 so he gets to stay.  only way we get real change is losing lots of games.  

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The way the Skins are handling Manusky is akin to opening a plenty of fish account while still married, to see if there is anyone hotter that might want you, before telling your wife that you’re done.  

Can anyone recall this scenario taking place anywhere else?  

I have to reiterate we do not know what people are being told inside. So the "this scenario" may not be what you think. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect when it's over we will be shaking our heads, once again. 

But not telling the fans or media and not telling the people involved are two separate things. If they are the same - wow, just wow. 

I do not seriously believe Allen wants to hire Williams as Defensive Coordinator and Williams would be crazy to want to come back to this dumpster fire.

But I do believe Allen wants fans to think he is interested in talking with Williams.  This is how the Skins win in the off-season with marketing subterfuge non-sense.

4 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I do not seriously believe Allen wants to hire Williams as Defensive Coordinator and Williams would be crazy to want to come back to this dumpster fire.

But I do believe Allen wants fans to think he is interested in talking with Williams.  This is how the Skins win in the off-season with marketing subterfuge non-sense.

I see it the same way.  It's easy to sandbag it in so many ways too -- do one of their typical low ball offers or insist that they keep some of the coaches in house.  Heck they are supposedly pursuing an assistant coach right now even though they haven't landed on the DC, yet.    So Gregg isn't stupid so why play along?  For him its a win win too.  He could rewrite history a little by being the dude that rejects the Redskins versus the other way around and more importantly leverage more money out of the Jets.    Both sides use each other.  Only loser is Manusky who looks bad and it undermines his credibility.

If this does happen, I'd bet its Dan overriding Bruce and or Jay.  But who knows?

19 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

That's how Allen/Snyder THINK they win the offseason.  Fans know better. :) 

We need:

1) Sell off players for draft picks

2) Collect comp picks

3) Sign bottom basement FA's to fill the roster and find hidden gems for future depth

4) Save every penny so we can roll over what cap space we have into the future.

And to do all that we need Bruce to be better than his best.  We need him to be somewhere between average and fine.

This is an interesting December article and good read...

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/decisions-for-loom-for-redskins/article_201a3580-6558-55c2-90d0-1b8f98b67430.html

Decisions for 2019 loom for Redskins

Greg Manusky and Bill Callahan: Neither assistant coach is directly responsible for the on-field results, but if change happens, this feels like a likely place it will start.

Manusky isn’t universally disliked in the locker room, but the intrasquad squabbles this season didn’t reflect well on his ability to keep the team together. The bigger issue — whoever is next would be the fourth defensive coordinator during Gruden’s tenure. Gruden has been hands off with the defense, but he’s yet to find the right person for that role.

Callahan has presided over an offensive line that has cycled through 12 guards this season. That’s not his fault, but this is the second consecutive year the unit has been ravaged by injuries. Callahan is also heavily involved in play-calling in rushing the ball, and it might be necessary to free up those duties to keep the next assistant in the building.

Kevin O’Connell: The Redskins “passing game coordinator” is the latest young assistant to generate rising-star buzz under Gruden. First was Sean McVay, who left to coach the Rams, and Matt LaFleur left to become the Titans offensive coordinator.

O’Connell hasn’t been in the media as much as McVay was (McVay was one of a kind), but NFL teams are well-aware of his talent and he’ll be a strong candidate for any offensive coordinator vacancies. Promoting O’Connell to offensive coordinator and play-caller would be a blow to Gruden, but might be what it takes to keep him in the building.

Executives

Bruce Allen: Everything starts with this key decision. The case against Allen has piled up over his nine-year tenure in Washington, and the sparse crowds at FedEx Field have been the biggest and most jarring call for organizational change.

Allen is only the second person to hold the top role under owner Dan Snyder, and the last, Vinny Cerrato, was finally shown the door when the fans were in a similar level of revolt. If Allen stays, it’s hard to imagine how this team can continue to move forward to respectability. But if Allen goes, Snyder would be the sole public face of the team’s business side, and he may not be comfortable with that.

Kyle Smith: Smith has handled the scouting for the Redskins drafts in recent years, and was promoted to a bigger role when Scot McCloughan departed. He is seen around the league as a bright young mind, and if he doesn’t get the chance to be a general manager in Washington, he could get that opportunity elsewhere. There will always be a place in the Redskins’ organization for Doug Williams, but if Allen is shown the door, Smith is the logical, and capable, choice to take over personnel decisions.

Eric Schaffer:  Schaffer, who has a legal background, has handled the Redskins’ contract negotiations over the past few years. While his track record is far from perfect, he’s handled a number of difficult situations, and has built a reputation as a person who can be trusted by agents and players, something that’s in short supply inside Redskins Park.

If Allen goes, a dual-headed monster of Smith and Schaffer makes sense atop the football side of the organization, with Schaffer handling cap issues and contracts. That would leave Brian Lafemina to handle the business side, including negotiations for a new stadium.

Like Smith, if Allen stays, the Redskins run the serious risk of losing Shaffer, who reportedly has made short lists for vacancies in other cities.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I have to reiterate we do not know what people are being told inside. So the "this scenario" may not be what you think. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect when it's over we will be shaking our heads, once again. 

But not telling the fans or media and not telling the people involved are two separate things. If they are the same - wow, just wow. 

I get that, but to me that’s the difference between bad and really bad.  Not really sure which is worse.  In one scenario they’ve told Manusky they are looking at replacing him but not sure.  On the other, he’s only hearing they are looking to replace him.  Either way it’s a bad look for him and the guys who play for him.

Archived