Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2017 Thread

No Excuses

Let's face it - SNL or MadTV couldn't come up with a wackier, more extreme stereotype of an Alabama politician than the real life Ray Moore.

Dressing up like Howdy Doody and waving a pistol at a campaign rally, saying that slavery was great at strengthening black families, defying laws for gay rights, having a wife defend him against charges of anti-Semitism by proclaiming "one of his lawyers is a Jew." ...and that's even before getting to combing the high schools and malls for dates.

Republicans are going to have major problems in Texas and Florida when the Latino youth start turning out in polls and don’t vote as conservative as their parents did. 

The hot take 10 years from now is going to be if Trumpism was worth alienating massive chunks of key voter groups in big states.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

White women aren't a monolith.  The most clear fault lines in the demo are level of education and whether they are married or unmarried.  Educated and unmarried White women are Democrats.  Married White women without a college education vote Republican.  And the reason is because those women take on the political views of their husbands. 

An interesting aside is numbers showing how overwhelmingly women with children living at home voted in Alabama:

Parentsv3.jpg&w=1484

4 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Now that Democrats have this victory, I fully hope and expect that they will not forget about these women who were molested, but instead will pursue their accusations and see justice done.

Are you serious? I'm not actually sure. 

4 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Now that Democrats have this victory, I fully hope and expect that they will not forget about these women who were molested, but instead will pursue their accusations and see justice done.

There won't be any justice for them.  The incidents happened too long ago.  Moore got away with it.

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

An interesting aside is numbers showing how overwhelmingly women with children living at home voted in Alabama:

I want to say that white women with children still overwhelmingly voted for Moore. 

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There won't be any justice for them.  The incidents happened too long ago.  Moore got away with it.

Perhaps in some ways they got justice last night. 

2 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

I'm being serious. They may not get criminal justice, but now that its not politically expedient they will just be forgotten about.

What precisely would you like to see happen if they won't get criminal justice? (beyond them not getting forgotten)

2 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

I'm being serious. They may not get criminal justice, but now that its not politically expedient they will just be forgotten about.

The sexual abuse conversation is only going to grow. Moore might be on a different level since he was into children. But you still have Farenthold right now. Franken and Conyers are going. We'll see if Trump continues to be immune to being held accountable for his awfulness. 

Just now, Hersh said:

What precisely would you like to see happen if they won't get criminal justice beyond them not getting forgotten? 

I'm not sure. I'm just still upset about how they are treated and I'm griping. I wish somebody would invest some time on it to make sure Moore never rears his head again.

I will say, in the past the impact of Black voters was rarely discussed unless there was a Black candidate (Obama being the main example).

I wonder if there's a sort of whiplash, that is, to try and be different from the usual white economic anxiety stories we see, places are giving Black voters more of a spotlight.  That's a good thing, I think, since 1) they do have a major impact that deserves to be discussed and 2) if the Black community sees themselves being discussed in the context of having had a major impact on a major race, perhaps it will spur greater involvement in politics at all levels, including changing laws to help stem and reverse disenfranchisement.

3 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

I'm not sure. I'm just still upset about how they are treated and I'm griping. I wish somebody would invest some time on it to make sure Moore never rears his head again.

I would think that seeing their molester ruined politically and professionally is pretty satisfactory.

1 minute ago, Zguy28 said:

These women totally destroyed Moore and stopped him from becoming a Senator. Heck, they got GOP Senators to actually come out against Moore. That almost never happens. They should feel pride today and hopefully vindication and empowerment. 

btw, I'm assuming here you mean how they are treated by those that didn't believe them or by Moore himself.

7 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

there's nothing to do. there's limitations on how far back things can be done.

i don't know if that applies to civil suits, but you'd need the victims to want to do it then.

i think the most you can have done, has been done. he lost in a disgraceful way. his political power should, theoretically, be gone. there's not much left.

i'm sure he'll find a good job somewhere working for some republican action item oriented group (abortion, probably.) that'll probably be it.

52 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

And they would be foolish to think that because those people overwhelmingly vote Republican, and last night, voted for an accused pedophile.

A year after voting for someone for president who boasted about sexually assaulting women.

I am not saying Dems shouldnt campaign for white women, but that the Dems should mobilize and enact policy for the electorate that is always there for them.

White women can be reached.  They just need to hear liberal voices.  Far easier said than done, but that's the path to convincing them.

Then there is a big segment of young White men who are the most liberal part of the electorate.  They're the radicals complaining about X, Y, and Z Democrat not being liberal enough.  Their turnout has not been maxed out like Black turnout has, but they're still fairly reliable Democrats.

Then there is a bigger educated White male demo, that skews older, that is going to have to be convinced.  They're the fence-sitters who want Democrats to woo them and, frankly, they are pretty sheltered from the negatives of Republican government.  They make everything about themselves and they're going to want to have a lot of control in the political direction/decisions of the party.  They are not reliable Democratic voters at all, most of them are former Republican voters.  They're going to look for any excuse to vote for a Republican and still be able to sleep at night.

Somehow Democrats are going to have to figure out how to win this mix of White voters and combine that with their strength in minority demos.  I think Democrats have hoped that the Hispanic vote would be an end around to doing this, but we've learned that the Hispanic demo is not politically organized/activated and they don't turn out.  We're probably a generation away from them being able to swing elections for Democrats.  So Democrats are going to have to spend the money and create the infrastructure to organize left-leaning Whites in Red counties and states.

To your point about catering to the needs and interests of Black constituencies, I don't think that clashes with the interests of left-leaning Whites.  I see no reason why Democrats can't do that AND organize White voters.  To me it's more about resource/time allocation than it is about any philosophical incompatibility.  Democrats must go into rural communities and Red suburbs and preach their word.

Seeing the numbers, the Republican turnout was about normal for an off year election.

The Democrat turnout was through the roof. 

Doug Jones and his campaign did a great job of getting the base out. 

In general Democrats are turning out for these off year elections in huge numbers everywhere. 

2018 might not be a blue wave. It looks like a freaking blue tsunami at the moment.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

To your point about catering to the needs and interests of Black constituencies, I don't think that clashes with the interests of left-leaning Whites.  I see no reason why Democrats can't do that AND organize White voters.  To me it's more about resource/time allocation than it is about any philosophical incompatibility.  Democrats must go into rural communities and Red suburbs and preach their word.

You say this, but in practice it has. Why do you think the beginning of this year the "progressive" dems were screaming about white working class voters?

IMO, if Dems want to go ahead they need to attack corporations and the super wealthy for not doing their share.

They won't because of fear and cowardice, but thats a unifying ticket.

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Seeing the numbers, the Republican turnout was about normal for an off year election.

The Democrat turnout was through the roof. 

Doug Jones and his campaign did a great job of getting the base out. 

In general Democrats are turning out for these off year elections in huge numbers everywhere. 

2018 might not be a blue wave. It looks like a freaking blue tsunami at the moment.

As much of a disaster having him as president is and has been, Trump may, in the long run, actually end up being one of the best things that ever happened to Democrats. He and his particular brand of awfulness has helped energized the D base like nothing else probably ever could.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

As much of a disaster having him as president is and has been, Trump may, in the long run, actually end up being one of the best things that ever happened to Democrats. He and his particular brand of awfulness has helped energized the D base like nothing else probably ever could.

Some days I think our president is Jar Jar Binks, while others I think he is Darth Sidious.

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You say this, but in practice it has. Why do you think the beginning of this year the "progressive" dems were screaming about white working class voters?

IMO, if Dems want to go ahead they need to attack corporations and the super wealthy for not doing their share.

They won't because of fear and cowardice, but thats a unifying ticket.

I think Democrats thought they could somehow reach White working class voters just by talking about them like that.  But Hillary Clinton just didn't do nearly enough actual campaigning in those parts of the country.

One of the lessons of the blue wave in Virginia is that there is no getting around knocking on doors and talking to voters face to face.  Virginia Democrats knocked on millions more doors in this past election than they did in the McAuliffe and Clinton elections.  I think that's what ultimately led to their huge victories.

I think that you're right that an anti-corporate greed message is a unifying ticket.  That plus Trump leads to the grass roots anger and activism to get people out of their homes and knocking on doors.  The electorate has been primed for a nation-wide Blue wave.  Democrats just have to do the work and raise and allocate the money to turn all of this energy and anger into real political organization and infrastructure.

10 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Don't know if it's true, but I'm hearing that the third place finisher in the Senate race was University of Alabama football coach Nick Saban.  How 'Bama is it to write in the ball coach?!?.

I suspect it's absolutely true.  Nick Saban down there is basically like Joe Gibbs here in 1991.  If Nick Saban started a Church, Christianity would rapidly become the 2nd most followed religion.

50 minutes ago, Hersh said:

What precisely would you like to see happen if they won't get criminal justice? (beyond them not getting forgotten)

Sue him into oblivion.

Take his horse and his stupid tiny little pistol.

it is awesome to see the turnout numbers. Awesome to see the numbers among black men and women. This is how you transform the south.

HOPEFULLY with this folks will see the proof of their error in half of us staying home last November, and the general error of believing your vote is worthless

There is power if enough vote. Even if you feel your vote doesn't count, this proves that if enough people go out and cast their ballot, then it does.

~Bang

Archived