Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2017 Thread

No Excuses

20 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Here is a question: Aside from ego, why did Moore even want to be a Senator? He wasn't going to knock McConnell out of the leadership role. None of his signature issues were going to go anywhere. He was never going to be on an important committee like the judiciary. All he was going to do was spend six years voting on stuff and making outlandish statements that his colleagues would grow to resent. And he would have to live in DC, which he certainly would have hated.

Because he doesn't believe for second the bolded statement I quoted.

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Damn.  That is savage.

hey, personally and professionally, much of my life is and has been built around helping others of all stripes.

depending on how things go, i even help folks down the stairs.

27 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

hey, personally and professionally, much of my life is and has been built around helping others of all stripes.

depending on how things go, i even help folks down the stairs.

Are you here to protect us from the terrible secret of space?

edit - whoh I linked a video but some of the visuals - perhaps not appropriate here

With Moore I wonder whether he is a guy who truly believes in the vile sewage that he shoots out of his ****-cannon or if he is just another con man using it to get himself as much visibility and power as possible. Kinda hard to tell with him. Sometimes he really does seem to believe it all, but sometimes he also seems like a tried and true grifter.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

And he would have to live in DC, which he certainly would have hated.

I can only imagine what one of the congratulatory phone calls would have sounded like:

"Great job, Roy! You're a Senator! Now you get to live and work in one of the most liberal, ethnically diverse, and LGBTQIA+ friendly places in the country! Its nickname is actually 'Chocolate City' 

"...No, not because they make chocolate there. You're thinking of Hershey, Pennsylvania...

What do you mean 'my God, what did I sign up for?' You said you wanted to be a U.S. Senator!

*click*

Hello? Hellloooooo?"

34 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Made it about a minute before i felt myself starting to slip away...

Wasn't too strenuous for me. One way or another, I've been listening to whacko all my life.

Including when I'm the one talking.

On 12/14/2017 at 9:17 AM, SkinsHokieFan said:

Alabama and Virginia demonstrate that Dems do not need the white working class in '18 to make big gains in the mid terms.

Focus on minorities and educated whites in the suburbs and Dems will see victories all over the map.

Trying to win the white working class Trump voter is a foolish waste of time. They are irrelevant 

Get out of the vote efforts should be mobilized through black churches, latino and asian organizations and focused on educated suburban whites and young people. That is how Dems win

I'd be very hesitant to make ANY generalizations from the Roy Moore (non) election to ANY thing else.   

that is basically equivalent to saying:       ".... if the plunging secondary market valuations of Pet Rocks tell us anything, it is that  <and it doesn't matter what you put here>

I actually don't believe what i just said.   I honestly believe that the fact that Roy Moore almost won is what is telling here.  (and it is a little similar to what you are saying,  but a long time-horizon view)   The sort of amoralistic/back-bending/pandering self-desecration that the evangelical leadership had to do in this election to deliver evangelical votes to their masters is what it is telling ... in the long run.     This ****hole of a candidate (and his ****hole president, and a whole stock similar CLEARLY amoral buttplugs) gradually have LONG term impact on religion in this country.     these four years-ish aren't going to kill the republican party, but they are going to mark an inflection point on general perception of religion in this country, when looked back at over a long time horizon.     

There will always be (relative) conservatives and (relative) liberals defined in one way or another in this, and every country (and further refined to fit the peculiarities in every district within the country), and each year elections will be fought over ever-shifting battlegrounds between those groups.    but ****stains like Jerry Falwell and his son are not guaranteed to be influential standard bearers in these battles over time.   Their successes today at tying evangelical christianity to the political mast of the republican party won;t harm the republican party long term... but it will harm christianity in this country.   It is impossible for any open eyed observer to to miss the fact that these "religious men" have sold themselves out into cynical pharisees, and this hurts religion more than it hurts government.  I think that the USA is CLEARLY less religious (defined as a smaller proportion of US citizens define religious as important in their life) than it was in the 70s-80s.  And i think we can thank Jerry Fallwell and his ilk for that.    Separation of  Church and state doesn't just protect the Government from being bent to one religion, it also protects religion from being stained by the failings of Government.   You look across countries, and those that have had religion most clearly aligned with Government in the past.... have the least religious populations now.   

Yes, countries that actively have tried to stomp out religion have sometimes succeeded (Russia/estonia/Cuba/China)   But other countries like England and Scandinavian countries that to this day still have "official state religions" have managed to accomplish the same thing, and have populations that are disgusted with religion overall (see wiki below).  Same in countries like Japan that had a political figure as THE FACE of religion.  Entwining religion into government gives a temporary boost in influence to TODAYS religious leaders, or to TODAY'S political imperative.....but it does so at the expense of religion over time.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_of_religion_by_country  

Assholes like Falwell/Bakker/Swaggart/Roberts are able to harm religiosity in this country a helluva lot more than self proclaimed atheists will EVER be able to accomplish.   Roy Moore and Donald Trump are like giant clown faced sirens ... and the religious leaders that are drawn to support THEM are pretty clearly revealed to anyone that is looking.       

Archived