Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2017 Thread

No Excuses

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

Gee, I'm sure it's just my innate cynicism that makes me believe that a totally "impartial random process" is almost guaranteed to award the seat to the Rs.

To make it completely above board the Republicans will demand a neutral party supervise and draw the lots. I hear they are flying over Kislyak himself. Who could be more trustworthy and impartial than a former Russian Ambassador.

20 hours ago, visionary said:

Not sure about details, but I think they found one vote that was thrown out yesterday and took it to the judges who accepted it, getting the tie.  Anyone else have any details on why just this one vote was brought back?

this is apparently how the ballot looked

This ballot should have been discarded but it is what it is at this point.

The Virginia paper ballot tells you that if you make a mistake on the ballot, you are supposed to ask for another one.  So I'm of two minds on the ballot in question. 

-The person did otherwise vote a straight R ticket, so the chances are they meant to vote for the Republican candidate.

but

- If your ballot marking is ambiguous, and you can't follow the simple instructions that would have allowed you to complete an unambiguous ballot, your vote should not be counted.

4 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

Isn't all gerrymandering partisan at some level in a party system?  Racial gerrymandering is just the chosen method to achieve a partisan result.

Agree.  Racial gerrymandering is just the easiest way to do it because there is not another indicator in the census data that more clearly aligns by party (that I can think of). 

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

The Virginia paper ballot tells you that if you make a mistake on the ballot, you are supposed to ask for another one.  So I'm of two minds on the ballot in question. 

-The person did otherwise vote a straight R ticket, so the chances are they meant to vote for the Republican candidate.

but

- If your ballot marking is ambiguous, and you can't follow the simple instructions that would have allowed you to complete an unambiguous ballot, your vote should not be counted.

I seem to remember a great many Republucans, a few years back, very loudly announcing that, if a ballot contains votes for two candidates, (specifically, Pat Buchanan and a Democrat), then said voter is too stupid to vote, and it absolutely must not be counted. 

If one can't follow directions to get a new ballot if one makes an error, then the ballot should be excluded. The poll workers told me that if I made a mistake to ask for another ballot. This voter obviously disregarded this advice since there are couple of mistakes.

The voter crossed out Gillespie, and didn't vote for anyone for governor. We don't know that any of the single candidate in some categories or affiliated with any party, so can't surmise that this is a ballot for Republicans.

James Alcorn, chair of the state  board of elections, said the tie will be broken Dec. 27 by inserting names on slips of paper into film canisters and then drawing a canister from a glass bowl. Virginia state law calls this random selection “determination by lot.”

That will not be the end; the loser can seek a second recount.

I, for one, think the "let's randomly select the winner by drawing lots" is dumb.  I think there should be a test that is somehow connected to the qualifications for the job.  Not like a serious, sit-down test, but like the two candidate's families should play a game of Family Feud where all of the surveys are done of just Virginians.  Something, anything, merit-based. 

Gut check time.............How many of you here would be arguing the same thing if the ballot in question was marked straight D except for the 94th district and those marks were flipped?  And what if that error were what gave the vote to the R?  No need to actually answer here.  You know in your heart the answer.  Just think about it.  If your answer isn't the same, you are part of the problem.

3 hours ago, twa said:

paper ballots?....what did we time warp to the 50's?

Our election machines were decertified for being garbage so we've had a shortage for a while now.

Used to have 3 or more at the polling place. Lately it's 1, sometimes 0.

8 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Gut check time.............How many of you here would be arguing the same thing if the ballot in question was marked straight D except for the 94th district and those marks were flipped?  And what if that error were what gave the vote to the R?  No need to actually answer here.  You know in your heart the answer.  Just think about it.  If your answer isn't the same, you are part of the problem.

I think in general it's fair to count the ballot for Yancy going by the way it was filled out...but I'm not crazy about the way this went down or the fact that they just happened to have the exact number of ballots to bring back to keep it from being a win for Simonds.  There were probably other ballots on both sides that could have been looked at again the same way.  I'd definitely feel the same way no matter which side benefited.  Now would I be as annoyed at the outcome...probably not.  

Archived