Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2017 Thread

No Excuses

I looked at all the candidates. Like always, the Republicans don't sync up with my views and the Democrats do. Also voted for school bonds like always as I support public schools. In fact, the school I voted in has been undergoing major renovations for the last two years. The new cafeteria is huge! 

IMG_20171107_104026430_HDR.jpg

Just moving my post in here where it belongs

2 hours ago, tshile said:

VA's elections today. The standard pundit line is "This is the weather vane for Trump's administration"

Either people vote for Northam because they're angry about Trump

or Gillespie wins because people are angry for Trump

I don't know if that's true but they basically crafted a narrative that can be proven positive with either outcome. The take away: people are angry.

The trouble with wanting to support a democrat in virginia right now, if you don't identify as a democrat, is that you're listening to the democrats **** and **** and **** about how the other side (and by extension, the people supporting the other side) are racist/sexist/etc and how everything the republicans support is bad for the country (poor people, minorities, etc) but this election will simply come down to turnout... and whether the side that says this is all about the worst things imaginable is the one that might not show up. Everything is so important and terrible, yet they can't be bothered to show up and vote.

The issues with wanting to support a republican is that majority of the GOP is unwilling to be critical of Trump (much less refuse to support him) and that carriers some obvious implications for anyone who's willing to vote Republican but thinks Trump (and the agenda he's pushing) is terrible. Additionally the state legislature is very R right now, so if you put a republican in governor you've ceded control of the state to the Rs for the time being.

It was weird because the race seemed like a good one for a while. It was the type of race that made me like that VA is the way it is.

Then in the last several weeks it turned nasty. Really nasty. It became a race that makes me hate politics. The polls showed the cap between Gillespie and Northam shrinking during that time. Go figure.

Some of the replies mentioned higher than normal turnout. But i feel weird riding on that before noon on election day...

Another poster mentioned that it's raining in one area and it could lead to low turnout to which I said screw those people. You can't vote because it's raining? Holy crap... (not you specifically...)

That does not include absentees and based on them saying that it's only today's numbers, probably not early voting either (not sure if they mke a distinction between early and absentee).

We'll have to piece together turnout, but if they can sneak above 45% total that would be good.  I assume spikes around lunch and after work.

Adding in 45k absentee (which i assume is also early), gets to a little north of 22% turnout so far.  No idea how that compares to previous elections as of 10am, and obviously we'll have to see what lunch and post-work spikes are.

That's funny! Junior is an intellectual lightweight.

It was starting to sprinkle when I left the polls. It's cold too.

Gillespie trying to run on Trump principles without mentioning his name.  Typical Republican tenets. 

Also, it's not just North Virginia that's Blue, so is some of Tidewater (and growing), Richmond and environs. Big population centers. Around VA Tech and Radford.

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

@tshile..."it" didn't turn nasty.  Gillespie turned nasty.  And you know that...

Yup. Ran a disgusting pro-Confederate campaign. 

They have nothing to run on but culture wars at this point. There is no GOP economic agenda that they can proudly advocate to the public. 

There is absolutely no equivalency in this campaign. Ed Gillespie ran a shameful campaign based completely around fear mongering. 

If you are still playing the both sides game, you have to be blind as a bat and engaged in a form of willful ignorance.

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Rape. Torture. Kill.  That’s the MS-13 way and that’s what Ralph Northam wants for your state.

I believe it went something like that.

3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

don't leave out that Northam is apparently the pedophiles best friend

You can see how powerfully the propaganda machine can resonate even with a guy as smart and informed as Tshile.  He still isn't able to call it what it is.

If one is female, I don't see how one could vote for these Republicans who want to take away one's bodily autonomy. Especially Vogel, who as a state elected official wrote the legislation mandating ultrasound procedure before an abortion.  They are on board for no abortions ever, and criminalizing the women and doctors who are involved with abortions. 

Some say this is only an election season issue, but the Republicans in Congress just put abortion language in their tax bill. Plus one Republican in Wisconsin stated that abortion should be outlawed because it's women's duty to birth succeeding generations of labor force. They see women not as humans but as incubators for the labor force and military personnel. That's just sick.

21 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

You can see how powerfully the propaganda machine can resonate even with a guy as smart and informed as Tshile.  He still isn't able to call it what it is.

What are you talking about?

You and no excuses can go and kick rocks. I didn't know I had to be that specific with it. 

"Both sides" :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Piecing together what a few election monitors are saying, seems like Republicans are freaking out about high NoVA turnout. 

Although, this does not say anything about turnout in other more R leaning parts of the state and if they are seeing turnout boosts.

Nova always sucks up the spotlight for being what turns Virginia, but the south east corner matters greatly for Democrats. I remember a CNU professors going on npr and saying one district down there was going to tell the tale. Above X% turnout and for dems and the state would go blue, below and it would go red. He was right (might be irrelevant but I liked the story at the time :) )

Archived