Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is There a 2017 Injury Update Thread? If Not, Voila! Now We Have One

kleese

Our players are made of heart.  And maybe the reason they are getting hurt is because they play so hard and are willing to play beyond the pain.  Not serious with that logic, but we have a team of footballers.  And while it totally and utterly sucks in such a seemingly disproportionate way, this type of **** makes a team grow tighter, because at this point all they are left with is the respect for one another, respect for those injured and respect for those thrown into situations they weren't ready for.  Eventually they will be healthy and then they will go on an all-out rampage, knowing they were able to pull through the injury setbacks.  Sucks now, but spells success later.  We'll play the best ball of the season in about 2-3 weeks.  How's that for optimism?  

So, my thought for the day is to ask if the Redskins are working to hard on strength during the off season and not enough on flexibility? Is Gruden's brother, the powerlifter teaching them too much power stuff which makes them stiff and vulnerable to injury?

16 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Guys are going down like flies every week and they have no solution for the injuries.  Sorry to bring it up, but this didn't happen while McGloughan was here .  At least there was a plan in place.  I don't see any of that right now.  They have glue and tape and glue holding people together right now and that's pathetic.  

I'm not following... what do you mean about not having a plan in place?  

When your starters get injured, and then their backups get injured (or they were already (Nsheke, for example), what plan circumvents that?

7 hours ago, Burgold said:

So, my thought for the day is to ask if the Redskins are working to hard on strength during the off season and not enough on flexibility? Is Gruden's brother, the powerlifter teaching them too much power stuff which makes them stiff and vulnerable to injury?

It's possible.  But flexibility only takes you so far.  We have a broken hand, broken ribs, etc.  nothing you can really do about that.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's possible.  But flexibility only takes you so far.  We have a broken hand, broken ribs, etc.  nothing you can really do about that.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Agility drills might help with some of the falls (allow them to fall better), but broken bones doesn't seem to be an issue of weight training vs. flexibility/agility training.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Agility drills might help with some of the falls (allow them to fall better), but broken bones doesn't seem to be an issue of weight training vs. flexibility/agility training.

There are things this team does poorly.

Im willing to chalk the injuries up to bad luck. 

Except hamstring pulls, cramps and things like that.  Those are much more conditioning related.

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There are things this team does poorly.

Im willing to chalk the injuries up to bad luck. 

Except hamstring pulls, cramps and things like that.  Those are much more conditioning related.

I definitely agree, though I don't think it's a coincidence 2 of those occurred in wet conditions.  Course I'm not sure the Cowboys had hammy problems...

On 10/30/2017 at 7:13 PM, Wildbunny said:

Short memory here.

It was not up to that degree, but the last two years have been tough on us as well... Don't you remember how we got guys of the street in 2015 to play DB? We even had to sign a guy off the street days before our PO game.

That story is nothing new, sadly...

I remember where they had to convert Dunbar from DB to WR and Rodgers ate him up in the playoff game.  Just a referendum on the FO.  I know it might be the same deal with the injuries, but it feels different when you don't have the right people in charge.  

6 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

I remember where they had to convert Dunbar from DB to WR and Rodgers ate him up in the playoff game.  Just a referendum on the FO.  I know it might be the same deal with the injuries, but it feels different when you don't have the right people in charge.  

Dunbar had been converted to DB that preseason and had the interception that had sealed a win against the Giants.  There's no referendum against the FO in injuries unless you're blaming the field or the training staff

Gruden said that they have 13 questionable guys and only 6 inactive spots.  Which is technically not true, you can inactivate as many guys as you want. You just can't activate more than 46.  

Still, if they're going into the Seattle game down 13 guys, that puts you at a disadvantage.  

I claimed earlier that they should have punted the Dallas game.  I still think that in the long-run, that might have been the right thing to do.  I don't think they CAN punt the Seattle game, because every "healthy" body on the roster is going to have to play, just to field a team.

That said, I think they they need to be super creative, and still take the long view.  If there's a chance a player can't get back and contribute by the Minnesota game, I think they need to go on IR, and you need to bring up guys from the PS.  Because the Minny game at home is going to be high-noon for the season.

They're going to lose in Seattle.  Even if fully healthy, they probably lose that game.  But there is really no chance with the mish-mash of players they have. 

So, at 3-5 with a home game against Minnesota, they can't afford to go to 3-6 and traveling down to the Super Dome to take on Brees and company if they want to be playing meaningful games in December.  

They should focus everything they have on getting ready for Minnesota.  If a player can't play in the Minny game, IR them, bring in a replacement and start preparing NOW.  Because if we get to 3-6, it really doesn't matter who is available after that, because the season is already over. And there's no point in playing hurt guys in a lost season.

McClure went to IR with hammy issues. Jones comes in his place. The Dline guy. 

My question is: What do we do with @kleese? The guy put a curse on this team with this thread. Some kind of Voodoo magic. I can not let him get away with that! I vote for a 5 hour presentation from Bruce Allen about The Succes of GM Bruce Allen, followed by a meet and great with Bruce Allen. 

52 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

McClure went to IR with hammy issues. Jones comes in his place. The Dline guy. 

My question is: What do we do with @kleese? The guy put a curse on this team with this thread. Some kind of Voodoo magic. I can not let him get away with that! I vote for a 5 hour presentation from Bruce Allen about The Succes of GM Bruce Allen, followed by a meet and great with Bruce Allen. 

Well, if you ask @zoony, I AM Bruce Allen so that could be awkward :)

To your point, I would agree that it probably was me that caused all of this; this thread combined with the confidence thread was like setting off a bomb.

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's actually odd.  Unless he can play OL, WR or TE, I'm not sure that there's really a reason to have him on the team... 

According to Gruden, we only have 2 healthy safeties on the active roster currently..  Swearinger and Everett

Edit: And this from Keim:

1 hour ago, kleese said:

Well, if you ask @zoony, I AM Bruce Allen so that could be awkward :)

? BA attending a BA presentation about the great GM BA. I could see that being a regular thing at Redskins park.

I do understand that right now I have no chance to ever work for Skins with BA in a high position. Or he needs to have some serious self spot humor.  

On 10/30/2017 at 9:18 PM, carex said:

how many of our players were hurt on illegal plays.  Breeland went down to a chop block.  Scherff was hit in the back by a defender as they were running down the field

The injury that has kept Scherff sidelined is not related to the spear he took in the back.

It's 2 separate injuries.

Archived