Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

4 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

He fits the bill for the type that usually commit this crime. While there have been a few exceptions most of the perpetrators have been white, young, and male. I’m not pointing this out to hate on young white males either. I myself am one. It’s just that the trend is too noticeable to ignore. I think the CDC needs to investigate what could be causing the deterioration of mental health in this subset of the population. 

3 minutes ago, DallasCowboyFan156 said:

He fits the bill for the type that usually commit this crime. While there have been a few exceptions most of the perpetrators have been white, young, and male. I’m not pointing this out to hate on young white males either. I myself am one. It’s just that the trend is too noticeable to ignore. I think the CDC needs to investigate what could be causing the deterioration of mental health in this subset of the population. 

I believe the CDC isn't permitted to study gun related issues like that per a law passed by the GOP. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I believe the CDC isn't permitted to study gun related issues like that per a law passed by the GOP. 

I think that’s true but it doesn’t have to be framed as studying a gun related issue. They should never mention guns in their report. Just investigate the mental health of the population. Use passive, non descriptive words like “violence” and “aggressive tendencies” to define their behavior and it may work as a nice loophole. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

you are mistaken, they are in danger of losing funding if they behave like political hacks though.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, twa said:

you are mistaken, they are in danger of losing funding if they behave like political hacks though.

I was wrong in that this actually started in 1996. Oh the irony of your post mentioning “if they behave like political hacks.” 

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I was wrong in that this actually started in 1996. Oh the irony of your post mentioning “if they behave like political hacks.” 

Imagine if this was any other health issue. No longer will the CDC act like political hacks because we took away funding for lead paint research.

4 minutes ago, twa said:

care to show the prohibition? 

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/25/596805354/cdc-now-has-authority-to-research-gun-violence-whats-next

ROSENBERG: The Dickey Amendment arose out of a fierce battle between two archenemies - gun control, and the other was gun rights. And the NRA had told their members that you can't have both. And the Dickey Amendment was a compromise. The Dickey Amendment said CDC can do the research. But they can't use any of these funds to promote or advocate gun control. What that meant was CDC couldn't lobby for legislation that would impose gun control. Now, CDC was not in the business of lobbying. But this amendment was a shot across the bow. It was an obstacle to people doing research

11 minutes ago, twa said:

so it is not prohibited....as I said

You are so right TWA, the legislation didn’t explicitly say it was prohibited. It only had a chilling effect on the cdc for over two decades. 

Whatever makes you feel better. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

You are so right TWA, the legislation didn’t explicitly say it was prohibited. It only had a chilling effect on the cdc for over two decades. 

Whatever makes you feel better. 

It does not prohibit gun studies(or mental health issues related to) AT ALL, it does prohibit political activism........such activism is why Dickey was passed.

9 hours ago, DallasCowboyFan156 said:

Are you making a claim that you think twenty something white males are more likely to be mentally unstable?

1 minute ago, twa said:

It does not prohibit gun studies(or mental health issues related to) AT ALL, it does prohibit political activism........such activism is why Dickey was passed.

You should have been advising the CDC this entire time since you’ve been privy to all the conversations and issues surrounding the Dickey Amendment. Those dummies in the CDC just needed TWA this entire time.

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

You should have been advising the CDC this entire time since you’ve been privy to all the conversations and issues surrounding the Dickey Amendment. Those dummies in the CDC just needed TWA this entire time.

They were advised, and cut the crap activism.

I didn't need to repeat it to them.

The problem was that evidence based research findings that suggested that gun control regulations had beneficial effects including reducing gun deaths was viewed as activism, not research.  ANY  research that might result in evidence supporting gun control was demonized by those beholden to the NRA as activist and problematic.  It is completely intellectually dishonest to suggest anything other than that the legislation in question was intended to suppress and discourage research into gun deaths, and that it worked as intended.  

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, twa said:

Trying to figure out what's causing these mass shooting is political now?  Think you should sleep in that one, Jesus, man

Edited by Renegade7

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

2 hours ago, twa said:

For those having trouble reconciling these two statements:  

Some time ago, the CDC did initiate a study on gun deaths. The Republican congress immediately cut the CDC's budget by the exact amount which the study cost. 

No, there is no LAW which EXPLICITLY forbids the CDC from mentioning guns. 

Yes, it is an absolute fact that they are forbidden from doing so. The prohibition simply isn't explicitly written down. 

And the official GOP party slogan to try to deny this fact is to claim that it's because scientists are "partisan hacks". (Every partisan hack says so). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's just bull****. The entirety of "conservative thought" anymore is just flat out bull****.

Bull**** this, bull**** that, and under no circumstances do not ever make any statement or believe anything that is not rooted and covered completely in bull****.

~Bang

I feel like Im turning into an old man overnight ...

I kinda in part blame the violent shooter video games. This guy was 24 years old, lives with parents and is a professional gamer so I assume that means he sits in a dark room and plays 16 hours a day 7 days a week.

chicken or egg - do video games attract the already troubled introvert or do they change a seemingly normal person into a detached from reality killer? 

• Like 2