Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Think you and I, or maybe it was Benning, talked about this and I said video documentation of slaughtered little children. Likely a birthday party or soccer game. A place where a lot of people have cameras.

It's real easy nowadays to compartmentalize and move on. Hard to move on from looking at children getting massacred in front of you. The emotional backlash from that would be tough to overcome. That would likely be the last atage of evolution.

That, or an entire group of Suicide cultists in one town targeting different areas at once.

Ya, I've definitely commented on how my feelings of women being mass shooters is much different than men and for several reasons, including ones you stated.

This is where I was going in that specific thread:

I'm trying to wrap my head around what a worst case scenario would be, but I do believe there will be a final straw someday and it will become apparent that we already crossed the threshold and making it so this never happens never happens, just more rare like it used to be.  Stopping the selling of guns won't matter, making something illegal in this country just creates a secondary market for it.

Edited by Renegade7

True. Prohibition was one of the biggest mistakes of the 20th Century (one we're literally and figuratively paying for). Empowering gun runners would be another one. In terms of mass shooters though, I don't think it applies as readily  (though I still wouldn't do it) when you have unstable people + absurd availability, whereas stronger background/mental fitness  evaluations and bans on certain weapons would likely put a dent on a lot of the higher casualty mass shootings involving automatic weapons. I think the only right to stop it is through effective gun legislation and mental health reform. Not too heavy handed on either.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think the only right to stop it is through effective gun legislation and mental health reform. Not too heavy handed on either.

I agree this is one of those topics where we need to at least start with what we agree on and see where it goes. 

Right now I believe we all agree its just too damn easy.  I've said in other threads my feelings on putting mental health out in front of this as a primary cause versus a commonality among the shooters.  I don't believe enough people understand mental health to be making those claims.  You should get a doctors note to get a gun, at a minimum.  There are significantly more people with mental illness then there are mass shooters, the true commonality I've noticed is an obsession with violence and no one saying anything about it (or at least that information not gettin got the right people). 

Security is a layered approach, checking a single box won't protect you from much of anything.  And I don't think that will ever account for the "we don't know why they did it and had no record to stop them from purchasing firearms".  Why I think we could get this to slow down, maybe happen less, but genie is out the bottle now.

14 hours ago, visionary said:

As numb as I've become to these mass shootings, reading those texts hit me in the feels pretty hard. 

I realize how complicated the gun issue is, and I am a gun enthusiast myself.  But what the ****, man.  Something has to happen.  . 

Edited by Chew
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, visionary said:

Think we're past the point of needing at least one armed security guard at every shopping center.  And please, if you come into DC, pretty much every grocery store has at least one, so don't come at me about militarizing your shopping experience

13 minutes ago, China said:

How nice, we're having old west style shootouts in grocery store parking lots now.

if it makes ya feel better you are more likely to be shot at the mall or Walmart.

• Like 1

Elections have consequences.  

Most probably think I am being a jerk.  I'm not.  The Left needs to use stories like this to motivate their voters every day.  Remind their voters that elections have consequences.  I'm one of the most pro-gun people on this board.  But laws need to be passed that stop people like this from getting guns.  I know as I type this that it would cause laws to most likely go further than I want.  Price I have to pay I guess.  Good thing I already have enough.  

EDIT:  I was at a gun show last weekend.  There was a NRA booth there and as I walked by they asked me if I'd like to join or contribute to the NRA.  They seem quite surprised when I told them to go eat a bag of dicks. 

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Kroger Shooting Suspect Tried to Enter Black Church Before Killing 2, Police Say

A gunman who killed two people at a Kroger supermarket in Jeffersontown, Ky., on Wednesday tried to enter a predominantly black church minutes before the attack, the police said on Thursday.

The man, Gregory Bush, 51, of Louisville, was arraigned Thursday on two counts of murder and 10 counts of wanton endangerment. He was ordered held with bail set at $5 million. The police said they were investigating the motive for the attack, which killed Vickie Lee Jones, 67, and Maurice E. Stallard, 69.

Both were black, while Mr. Bush is white, and the son of a witness said his father heard the gunman make a racist remark during the episode, though the police said they could not confirm that account. Mr. Bush has a history of mental illness, Chief Sam Rogers of the Jeffersontown Police Department said at a news conference on Thursday.

The police said there was no indication that Mr. Bush knew either of the victims, nor did he have any known connection to the grocery store.

more from the link.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Elections have consequences.  

Most probably think I am being a jerk.  I'm not.  The Left needs to use stories like this to motivate their voters every day.  Remind their voters that elections have consequences.  I'm one of the most pro-gun people on this board.  But laws need to be passed that stop people like this from getting guns.  I know as I type this that it would cause laws to most likely go further than I want.  Price I have to pay I guess.  Good thing I already have enough.  

EDIT:  I was at a gun show last weekend.  There was a NRA booth there and as I walked by they asked me if I'd like to join or contribute to the NRA.  They seem quite surprised when I told them to go eat a bag of dicks. 

My thing is every time the left tries to use stuff like this to motivate their voters it seems to me like the right use that to motivate theirs....and to much greater effect. 

They do it through fear, right? So short of saying "Vote for me or crazy white people with guns will kill you" what is the left supposed to say that can keep the pace? 

I just feel like both platforms, democratic and Republican are just so bad....add to that peoples apathy to the process that consistantly seems to screw them regardless of the outcome....and the political climate right now and I just dont see how people like you and me come out on top here.