Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Off-season Incorrect Opinion Confessional

CTskin

We're only 3 weeks into the season, but I've seen enough to know that some of my opinions/predictions this off-season were wrong. Just about every ESer belongs in here, so put your pride aside and get in the booth. I'll kick it off:

Montae freaking Nicholson- I may have never been more wrong about a Redskins draft pick (fortunately wrong in the right way). I was sure that he was "only a SPARQ guy," but wow he looks as legit as it gets, especially for a rookie. I can't find another way to put other than he just looks right out there; relaxed, taking perfect lines, reading routes, hitting like a beast. Pairing him with Swearinger is looking like something special.

Terrell Pryor- I predicted 1250 yards and 10TDs. I remembered what he did to Norman and paired that with the fact that he never had a professional caliber QB throwing him the ball last year and went on to assume that he would blow up in this system. Well, saying he's raw is putting it lightly. He's always had a case of the dropskies and that hasn't changed. Also, the route running is still an issue as we saw with the terrible, rounded off In route that Amerson broke up last night. One other thing, it was great that he was awarded the catch on the sideline, but he only got one foot in.

Matt Leonnidis- He was hyped up this offseason but I thought that his pre-season showing was OK at best and figured we'd see little more than we got from him last year. Wrong. He is as strong as they come and he put every OL that lined up against him back into Carr's lap. It wasn't only yesterday, he's shown this strength every game.

Preston Smith- Trent Murphy who? Our OLBs have been studly and Preston has led the way. Mr. Inconsistent he's already racking up the sacks and appears vastly improved against the run. Gruden said he's been working harder than ever and learned some new moves, which appears to really be paying off.

Breeland- I didn't want any part in re-signing him after this year. I don't know if it's because he knows there's money depending on this season, but he's playing like the stud we knew he was capable of. 

Sidenote- sign Zach Brown for life. This is a guy we were all pumped to land this offseason and he's made more plays in 3 games than any other ILB has made since we had Fletch. On every play he's everywhere on the field and is a big reason for this D's improvement. 

It's Ioannidis!

http://www.redskins.com/team/roster/Matt-Ioannidis/4c2febce-b595-4fbe-a179-5d4d4833e0d3

If you want to make a confession, starts with spelling their names correctly CT! :P

This being said, I was along with you regarding Nicholson when we drafted it.

And after tonight, I would answer the same thing as after Week 1 when everything was doomed and Kirk needed to get cut for Torgersen...

That's just one game. A good one, a great one, but that's just one game.

We're 2-1 after 3 games, where many of us had us when the schedule went out.

We're not there yet.

I'm with you on Pryor, I thought he had the potential to be Megatron like.  He has the measurables, but not the mechanics to be a great receiver.  Will he ever hone those mechanics??? Who knows.  But right now he is a project.  We need Doctson to come through.  

I don't know that I need to eat any crow as I didn't predict anything.  I went into this season completely unexcited for the first time in a long time.  I missed one game and didn't care.  I honestly thought I missed yesterday's game, as I was out at one of those fall farm festival things with my family, didn't realize it was a night game until I got home.  Figured what the hell, I'll watch.

Was pleasantly surprised, but I'm worried about getting too into it like I have every season since I was 12.  I was so turned off by the McCloughan and Cousins sagas this offseason, and caring less was better for my health and blood pressure.  But back it creeps, it calls to me....

I'm on the I was not thrilled with the Manusky hiring, but so far so good.  Loving what we are seeing.  An under the radar signing is certainly Jim Tomsula.

But to be incorrect on guys like Nicholson and Ioannidis is just wrong.  You're asking way too much out of players if you expect these young guys come in a produce right away.  Nicholson has 3 career tackles and an INT not sure how anyone could be wrong after 3 games?  Ioannidis....same thing, 5th round pick with vets to beat out etc.  The transition is not easy, it takes time, patience, hard work and coaching.  All it takes in one bad mistake (mentally or physically) or someone taking the job from them and they may get in the doghouse and may never see the field again.  Then does that make you right?

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Manusky for me.  I thought he would be an upgrade, but I didn't know how much. 

Not to be down on Manusky as obviously a massive upgrade but I think he has been helped by getting competent coaching around him Tomsula & Gray really have got their units balling

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

My confession is that I doubted Manusky. I hoped he'd prove me wrong, but I pegged him as a cynical, cowardly, and incestuous choice. 

It it may change, but so far he's led an amazing turnaround. 

In a way you'll never have any evidence that you were wrong. Good hires have sometimes been made for the wrong reasons and bad hires have often been made for the right reasons.

CT---i almsot posted a harsh post this morning addressing such matters in another thread and i give you major props on this---not as a homer (not that style of fan) or as anyone other than a guy who loves intelligent, humorous, informed, well-argued, and even passionate discourse, almost no matter what the actual position take, but has little tolerance for those who make promulgating the other end of the spectrum their standard.

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

It's Ioannidis!

http://www.redskins.com/team/roster/Matt-Ioannidis/4c2febce-b595-4fbe-a179-5d4d4833e0d3

If you want to make a confession, starts with spelling their names correctly CT! :P

Maybe we should just call him Matty the Greek.  When he's done playing, he can handicap games for CBS until he says something dumb.

My post would pretty much mirror yours exactly CTSkin, except I did think Breeland could he legit with better coaching.

It's an interesting and sad commentary on the NFL coaching fraternity how losers like Haslett, Barry and Fewell get recycled, whilst upstarts like Gray spin thread into gold.

Here comes the cold water...

We don't know what we are yet. Each week we've looked completely different. It's far too early to state that we were right or wrong about anything (positive or negative) at this point. It wouldn't shock me at all if Pryor still developed into a 1,000 yard WR this year and Nicholson was the second-coming of Chris Horton. 

4 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

It's Ioannidis!

This being said, I was along with you regarding Nicholson when we drafted it.

And after tonight, I would answer the same thing as after Week 1 when everything was doomed and Kirk needed to get cut for Torgersen...

That's just one game. A good one, a great one, but that's just one game.

We're 2-1 after 3 games, where many of us had us when the schedule went out.

We're not there yet.

I thought it was intentional. 

download.jpg

(holds nose) Hailing Mary mother of Football, please forgive me, I too have transgressed on many levels. 

I never really thought the DL would play this well together this fast especially after losing Phil Taylor and Murphy. Wasn't quite sure Allen would impact so suddenly and the LBers all would gel. Credit to Father Tomsula at the rectory for forming this formidable beast on such short notice. 

As we know the choir follows the Drums (DL) and the Tenors (CB's and Saf) are benefiting and thriving.  The opposing Devils (QB's) don't have all day to commit their sins against thee. 

Father Manusky appears to have aptly taken over for the Dullard Brothers of Haslett and Barry, may he be blessed on his mission both at Home and Away. 

Of special Note is while this is just the third game, if the Team can roll into a church picnic week at 3-1 or just 2-2 this would set the season up for continued growth. 

The Church Family unrest seems to be quelled this week in what was a Holy Celebration of Win, I will now change my Avi and remove the Satanic Reminder of Vinny the Offseason Beezlebub back to St. Joe Gibbs the Savior. Can I get a Hail-Men? 

spweh.jpg

3 weeks into the season there's only one thing I'm sure about, Pryor is garbage, and we would miss Jackson and garcon. But I knew that.

Like the idea but it'll take a few more weeks before I'm willing to admit I was wrong about anything.  I don't think we're going to know what this team is until closer to thanksgiving.

49 minutes ago, tshile said:

only one thing I'm sure about, Pryor is garbage

Garbage? Did you see the blocks he threw? Did you see him recognize Kirk was about to get crushed, break off his route and sprint back to make the catch? Did you see the out route he caught at the sideline for that first down? 

Garbage? No, he has played like a C reciever so far this year who happens to have elite measurables and playmaking ability. On a one year prove it deal. Calling him garbage is ridiculous. 

I'm oppo some of you on Doctson.

I had him as a 70+ guy and 8 TDs. Yea, I was excited to see him haul that one in, but even he looked a little surprised. I know he was injured, but I would like t have seen more involvement by now. Grant is looking like a poor man's Garcon and keeping Doctson an afterthought. 

Archived