Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Every single professional athlete who has ever lived has dealt with this totally new life experience.  Many have had maturity issues and in other sports they are even younger than 22..  How many of them quit before their 2nd year?

considering the ones who don't make it past their first?  and in the past few years there's been guys who if not retiring in their second they have been quitting pretty early

It's not the fact that the guy is most likely hanging them up. It's the fact that the guy is going to Snapchat to vent or tell his story or whatever the hell it is he thinks he is doing. The guy sounds like a special flower that needs attention. He is soft and should not be on an NFL team. That is fine go live your life but don't be a drama whore about it. What really makes me upset though is the fact that the Skins wasted a 2nd round pick on him. If Scot was in charge of drafting him then we can see why he was fired. This kind of crap just adds another check mark on bad drafting decisions. 

10 hours ago, dyst said:

If he comes back and with a healthy attitude I'm sure the team and us fans would welcome him back. However, of that happens, I hope the team is able to retroactively work it in his contract so if the goes MIA again, then Skins don't get screwed.

I think we are locked into however the rookie deal was written until it comes up for renewal Dyst.  I hope I am wrong because that is a great thought.  I just don't think we can amend it until a new deal is "created".  

25 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

It's not the fact that the guy is most likely hanging them up. It's the fact that the guy is going to Snapchat to vent or tell his story or whatever the hell it is he thinks he is doing. The guy sounds like a special flower that needs attention. He is soft and should not be on an NFL team. That is fine go live your life but don't be a drama whore about it. What really makes me upset though is the fact that the Skins wasted a 2nd round pick on him. If Scot was in charge of drafting him then we can see why he was fired. This kind of crap just adds another check mark on bad drafting decisions. 

Apparently Cravens went missing for three days at USC...just heard it from Galdi this AM.  If that isn't a massive red flag, I don't know what is.

29 minutes ago, carex said:

considering the ones who don't make it past their first?  and in the past few years there's been guys who if not retiring in their second they have been quitting pretty early

How many have quit right before the start of their second season?  Again it's perfectly within their right to quit but there is a big difference between the 26 year old Ravens center quitting over health concerns and 22 year old Cravens quitting because of alleged maturity issues.  Please keep in mind that was the issue I was addressing, that Cravens quit because he was immature and facing a life changing event.  My point was every athlete faces this same life changing event and most are immature having spent their lives being told how great they are.

So 2 days later, my level of compassion, sympathy, empathy, etc. is still on a flatline.

He totally doesn't care what anyone thinks about him, that's why he has to jump to social media to let you know he doesn't care what you think about him.  He's also free from the chains that hold him down and is totally ready to be open with everyone that has an opinion he doesn't care about.  He doesn't have to explain anything to you....but he certainly will.

This...freakin...guy. 

I just hope he has a plan or has been plotting what to do after football if he's serious about quitting.  He's essentially a 22 year old that's been making his career plan professional football.  If he has to give back all that money, he's back to square one trying to get a real job like a normal person.  Only with neck tats.

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

I didnt care for the Snapchat, but I can only imagine the vitriol he got from fans.  I dont like that he responded and how, but I get it.  People feel everything needs a social media response.  And now fans have direct access to the object of their anger.

28 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So 2 days later, my level of compassion, sympathy, empathy, etc. is still on a flatline.

He totally doesn't care what anyone thinks about him, that's why he has to jump to social media to let you know he doesn't care what you think about him.  He's also free from the chains that hold him down and is totally ready to be open with everyone that has an opinion he doesn't care about.  He doesn't have to explain anything to you....but he certainly will.

This...freakin...guy. 

Been checking my bleacher report, his responses to all this have been immature at best.  He's not making it easy on himself if he does want to come back, that's for sure.

14 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

You're making some bold statement here... I know lots of players that played for this team that many around here would have ran out of town with pitches and forks. Those guys always had the will and desire, but were most often lacking talent.

I agree with you on your assessment, but man...

Will Compton

Reed Doughty

Those are the first two that comes to mind when thinking about what you said.

Could add guys like Paulsen, Polumbus as well... or... Grossman?

Albert Haynesworth. 

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Apparently Cravens went missing for three days at USC...just heard it from Galdi this AM.  If that isn't a massive red flag, I don't know what is.

Bigger red flag that the team DIDNT KNOW IT. With the almighty Scott running the draft. What a disaster his drafts have turned out to be.

Su'a has essentially talked his way out of the nfl.  No team wants a guy that publicly says his heart isn't in the game.  Every mistake he ever makes on a football field will now be due to his lack of will.   I really do think it would take something truly special for him to come back and start on an NFL team, let alone the redskins.  

can't say that I'm surprised.. disappointed, most definitely.

I always thought he was a bit of a malcontent and social media diva after the flap he made about his injury last year, something about never being able to see correctly ,etc. It sounded like he was blaming the team for his injury.

**** the guy, next man up who actually wants to be here. The damage is already done, he's checked out. Nobody can will themselves to care about something, even if he decides to come back.. and he obviously doesn't care so hit the road jack.

45 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Bigger red flag that the team DIDNT KNOW IT. With the almighty Scott running the draft. What a disaster his drafts have turned out to be.

Yeah I was about to post the same thing.  I'm still angry about how the Redskins handled the entire SM thing but he is further proof that Redskins fans are just not allowed to have nice things.  Add SM to the growing list of very smart, accomplished football people who have arrived at Redskins Park under Mr. Snyder and instantly became stupid. 

Anyone defending his drafts and free agent signings while here has to be related because there is no way to defend them at this point in time. 

Musta been one of those guys that played football just cuz he was good at it.

If he was bailing in college, then he might've never loved football.  Makes me wonder what his passion is, cuz it doesnt seem to be football.  Maybe he doesnt have one yet, which is possible at 22.

My gut feeling on this, which could be proven to be wrong, is that the guy has mental issues, i.e., a "chemical imbalance" type of mental issue. He's struck me as "bizarre" ever since he got that concussion and how he reacted to that. His dramatic mood swings (apparently just hours before saying he was retiring, he told people he "couldn't wait" to get back on the field) are red flags in that department, as well as what now is a much longer history of this type of behavior stretching back to USC. These patterns don't strike me as being "normal" or the actions of someone who's mentally anchored.

Again, all speculative I admit, but until we know more, I'm not going to pile on the kid, as angry as I am about the situation. I'm actually more angry at the FO, including Scot, who weren't able to see these warning signs. When you claim the first goal of your approach is "finding people who love football," this should not happen. Also angry at the USC officials who apparently weren't forthcoming about Cravens' history.  

If the issues are related to some sort of mental illness, he's not coming back, nor should he. That's not something you can just "get right" within a month and jump back into something that was already a source of distress for you.  You need time to work through it, come to grips with it and treat it. 

As far as I'm concerned, he's done. I wish him the best, and I hope I don't hear anyone else talk about how they're going to "honor Sean Taylor" when they're signed here. 

54 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

yeah, I am less than impressed with Scot the longer things shake out.  He made big picks seemingly by getting guys overlooked because of one weakness... unfortunately it's a weakness that is disqualifying, soft in the head, can't hold the ball, injury prone

I believe he was connected to at least two guys who quit on the 49ers Kentwan Balmer and Glen Coffee

14 minutes ago, carex said:

yeah, I am less than impressed with Scot the longer things shake out.  He made big picks seemingly by getting guys overlooked because of one weakness... unfortunately it's a weakness that is disqualifying, soft in the head, can't hold the ball, injury prone

I believe he was connected to at least two guys who quit on the 49ers Kentwan Balmer and Glen Coffee

He seemed to draft people that didnt fit his MO.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I didnt care for the Snapchat, but I can only imagine the vitriol he got from fans.  I dont like that he responded and how, but I get it.  People feel everything needs a social media response.  And now fans have direct access to the object of their anger.

I didn't care for the snapchat either, or that video of Craven's talking to Compton, but I also can't be bothered to be upset about this situation.  If the guys heart is not in it then he needs to go do something else.

In regards to fan response to Cravens on social media, I don't agree with the level of vitriol but I can understand why a significant section of the fan base is pissed at the guy.  Right after he was drafted he started running his mouth about how Sean Taylor was his favorite player and that he was going to wear #36 in honor of Taylor.  By doing that Cravens pulled at the heart strings of us fans who still mourn the loss of Taylor.  Cravens was never going to replace Taylor, no one can do that, but he gave us hope that he would provide a level of play and pride that tried to emulate Taylor's.  Then the guy sells his beloved #36 to Swearinger and now he is quitting.  Fans, like me, feel let down and some are taking it to far, but its understandable.

At this point the best case scenario is for the Skins to try and trade Cravens to the Rams for a mid to late round pick.  Maybe playing in LA would appeal to Cravens and the Skins can get something, anything, for him.  Regardless, I can't see him playing for the Skins again.  He has to go one way or the other.

Archived