Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

I've said it before, but I would really consider taking two QBs outside the first round this year, and seeing which one develops better.

I go back and forth on this, because this team has a lot of needs so spending multiple picks on the QB position seems iffy.

But then I look at the Seahawks now - their leading passer and rusher is Russell Wilson. Their defense is decimated, they have zero run game and they have a terrible offensive line yet they are 7-4 and currently beating the best team in football right now so finding that diamond-in-the-rough game changing QB that you can really really lean on can change a franchise.

16 hours ago, SlkyCaramel said:

I go back and forth on this, because this team has a lot of needs so spending multiple picks on the QB position seems iffy.

But then I look at the Seahawks now - their leading passer and rusher is Russell Wilson. Their defense is decimated, they have zero run game and they have a terrible offensive line yet they are 7-4 and currently beating the best team in football right now so finding that diamond-in-the-rough game changing QB that you can really really lean on can change a franchise.

He had the good fortune of not having to carry them before he was ready. If he lands on a bad roster as a rookie he may not have developed into the player he is today. 

I like Baker Mayfield a lot and if he’s on the clock when the skins pick, that the direction they need to go.  I agree that franchising Cousins is you can’t sign him to a long term contract is pointless.  

Id consider signing Tyrod Taylor or even an Alex Smith on a short term contract and bring him on slowly.

50 minutes ago, SkinsFanMania said:

I like Baker Mayfield a lot and if he’s on the clock when the skins pick, that the direction they need to go.  

I was joking about this on twitter today - that it would be such a Snyder-esque thing to do.  In fact, might as well get rid of Jay and bring in Jim Harbaugh too.  Imagine the hype machine and jersey sales....   of course I was just being sarcastic in someone else's thread and the point i was trying to make was more of a 'cmon man' comment....   but hey, one never knows i guess....   personally, i just don't see him working out in the pros....

The interior of the offensive line has to be addressed if we are going to be competitive against NFC East defenses and win the division.  Philadelphia has arguably one of the best defensive fronts in football, Dallas always gives us fits for whatever reason and New York still has an aggressive defense. I see Quenton Nelson's name consistently mentioned in this thread and he would fit nicely between Trent Williams and Brandon Scherff but there are five additional interior offensive lineman in this draft that would provide significant value that can be drafted in rounds 2 thru 4:

Guards:

Isaiah Wynn G Georgia

Braden Smith G Auburn

Maea Teuhema T/G SE Louisiana (LSU Transfer)

Centers:

Billy Price C Ohio State

Frank Ragnow C Arkansas

2 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

Skins currently up to #12 in the draft order.  A season-ending losing streak could put them as high as 7, maybe even 6.

Hard for me to imagine they end on a losing streak.  I am guessing 3-1.  They lose this Sunday but beat the Cards, Denver, the Giants.

It's going to be an excruciating wait for draft day:  I am already a little dizzy thinking about scenarios:  Q. Nelson, R. Smith, D. Payne, Guice?  And the posts on K. Johnson got me looking at him, too. 

I expect a lot more here about Mayfield.  Not a fan of going QB in the draft.  The one intriguing source for me that I trust on Mayfield is Scot who seems to like him from what I've read.  But I got my doubts.  

I'm guessing we end up picking around 16.

19 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

The interior of the offensive line has to be addressed if we are going to be competitive against NFC East defenses and win the division.  Philadelphia has arguably one of the best defensive fronts in football, Dallas always gives us fits for whatever reason and New York still has an aggressive defense. I see Quenton Nelson's name consistently mentioned in this thread and he would fit nicely between Trent Williams and Brandon Scherff but there are five additional interior offensive lineman in this draft that would provide significant value that can be drafted in rounds 2 thru 4:

Guards:

Isaiah Wynn G Georgia

Braden Smith G Auburn

Maea Teuhema T/G SE Louisiana (LSU Transfer)

Centers:

Billy Price C Ohio State

Frank Ragnow C Arkansas

What about that kid POWERS out of Oklahoma?  Any word on him? 

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Please, for the love of God, tank the rest of the season!  We need a good high draft pick.  

I hate to say it but since we're not going to the playoffs we totally should be tanking.

Shut down Trent,  Moses, Reed, and anyone else that is walking wounded on our team. Play all the rooks (and DHall since he can't cover anymore) and find out what we've got. We can at least evaluate all the young offensive talent since we have a decent qb for the next 4 games.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:24 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

I've said it before, but I would really consider taking two QBs outside the first round this year, and seeing which one develops better.

I would support that if they had more picks to work with.  I cant justify using 2 picks out of 7 on QBs.  Now, if they did some dealing to get extra picks to play with in the middle rounds, that'd be different.

Cooley doing a rare early foray into the draft in a segment today.  His take:

If Kirk goes its a disaster

He's not on board with dumping Kirk for a new QB in the draft.  But he likes Josh Allen a lot. 

He thinks the problem with the running game is primarily the running back and blocking TEs

He'd let Lauvao go.  Make Rouiller the center and sign Long to play LG and he thinks the O line will be good

He thinks they desperately need a 3 down TE.  And he has a mega man crush on Wisconsin TE Troy Fumagalli -- thinks he's the solution

He thinks mega need for a #1 receiver

He seems to be ok with the defense (especially the secondary) if it gets healthy but wants to switch to a 4-3

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's not on board with dumping Kirk for a new QB in the draft.  But he likes Josh Allen a lot. 

He thinks the problem with the running game is primarily the running back and blocking TEs

He'd let Lauvao go.  Make Rouiller the center and sign Long to play LG and he thinks the O line will be good

He thinks they desperately need a 3 down TE.  And he has a mega man crush on Wisconsin TE Troy Fumagalli -- thinks he's the solution

He seems to be ok with the defense (especially the secondary) if it gets healthy but wants to switch to a 4-3

Can't say I disagree with any of this in full.

I will say I'd like to draft a LG who is a road grader up front, I'm not sold on Long but his versatility is a big plus.  He may not be great but he can play pretty much any interior line position, which gives him some level of value. 

Was Long originally drafted to play RG?  If he's just OK at Center why do we think he could be successful at LG?  Do you have any concerns about the tendinitis in his knees?  

The Skins currently have 4 TEs on the roster.  Whom do you let go?  Do you draft one and drop down to 3 TEs?  Count Reed against your WR quantity?

Well, looks like Mason Rudolph took the early lead out of the gate. Let me start watching some film on him. Love the size and the fact he threw 0 pick in 2016. I'm hoping to see a pocket presence like Big Ben with an equally strong arm. 

Kurt, we hardly knew ye. Good luck with your future endeavors in Jacksonville

22 hours ago, PlayAction said:

Was Long originally drafted to play RG?  If he's just OK at Center why do we think he could be successful at LG?  Do you have any concerns about the tendinitis in his knees?  

The Skins currently have 4 TEs on the roster.  Whom do you let go?  Do you draft one and drop down to 3 TEs?  Count Reed against your WR quantity?

Long was initially drafted to play Guard but he looks to have an average skill set. There has always been concerns about his health but that seems like a prerequisite if your going to play Offensive Line for the Redskins. I do like Long's versatility but I think he would be better served as a backup. Guard and Center are areas that should be addressed this off-season if we are to be competitive.

Speaking of injury concerns...Reed cannot be counted on and should be traded for draft picks. As much as I love the toughness of Niles Paul its time for him to go as well. Vernon Davis is still a servicable 3 down TE that can block. One of the many things that I am sick of seeing is Niles Paul or Vernon Davis ineffectively lining up in the backfield. I would rather the front office draft a traditional fullback that can block for the running back but also be a threat as a receiver. I have my eye on Dimitri Flowers from Oklahoma as a late round draft pick. He blocked for Samaje Perine in college but I especially love that he is a standout on special teams.

3th-4th round type?  Bryce Love light.  Punt returns-kickoff returns.  Can't remember last time we had a difference maker as returner. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2018-nfl-draft-top-names-to-know

RB RASHAAD PENNY, SAN DIEGO STATE – 86.6 OVERALL GRADE

Penny plays in a RB-friendly system at San Diego State and has produced at an elite level with little national fanfare. Penny has forced 74 missed tackles – which leads all draft-eligible running backs – on his 277 rushing attempts. His elusive rating of 109.7 ranks No. 2 among draft-eligible running backs behind only Stanford’s Bryce Love. Penny also has breakaway speed in addition to his “make-you-miss” moves and his 31 runs of 15 yards or more ties him for first in the draft class with Love. Penny’s game-breaking speed is also evident by his punt return touchdown and two kickoff return touchdowns this season. — @PFF_Jordan

On 12/7/2017 at 8:41 PM, SamoaSkinz said:

I'm fixated on getting Maurice Hurst (DT) with our first pick. Just want our interior pass rush with Allen and Ionaddis to be nigh unblockable if there is such a thing.

If not, Bryce Love or Quentin Nelson if they make it that far.

For my money, if the Skins want to improve their pass rush, Arden Key is the guy. Provided he falls that far.

On 12/6/2017 at 11:05 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

On 12/6/2017 at 11:57 AM, OVCChairman said:

Can't say I disagree with any of this in full.

I will say I'd like to draft a LG who is a road grader up front, I'm not sold on Long but his versatility is a big plus.  He may not be great but he can play pretty much any interior line position, which gives him some level of value. 

I feel like Perine is showing himself to be a capable back.  I do think a blocking TE would do wonders for the ground game.  Sprinkle may fit the bill, but it would be nice to find (another?) capable TE.  I also think Roullier will make a fine C or G.  I’m concerned about whichever spot he doesn’t play, as well as our depth.  I’d re-sign Long, but look to add a swing T/G (that can compete to start at LG) in the first 2-3 rounds.  If Nsheke returns (I have my doubts), I’d focus more on a potential starting guard.  

As far as receiver goes, I don’t think we need a stud, but a capable guy that can run all the routes.  Don’t get me wrong, a good #1 would be great.  I just think, given how Cousins and Gruden have done without one, I would place more emphasis on improving the defense, ground game and pass pro.  

On defense, my preference would be to bring back Brown, Foster Murphy or Galette, and Breeland/Dunbar, then focus on drafting the best pass rushers you can find on the outside and the interior.  

Losing Allen/Ioannidas hurt us, and depth there, as well as finding a good starter for the base D should be a priority, IMO.  

Summary:

Must re-sign - Cousins and Brown. 

Would really like to re-sign - Long, Nsheke, Grant, Foster and Dunbar (Breeland too, but I doubt that’s practical) and Murphy or Galette.

Try to bring back, but hope a draft pick or UDFA beats them out - Compton, Paul, Everett, and Quick.  

Draft an early round dlineman, olineman and TE.  Look to add a receiver, back, OLB and ILB mid-late.  

Archived